The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Worst Class for tank

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another noobish question -- are different bonuses to block mitigation multiplicative, the way other damage reduction bonuses now are?

(I thought all the block mitigation numbers were additive, but they seem too big for that to make sense.)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And while I'm at it, and more directly for this thread: How does everything fit onto sorcerer tank skillbars? It looks like a sorcerer tank should have:

Pierce Armor
    Heroic Slash
    ranged taunt
    Silver Leash
    cc
    Clannfear x2
    Bound Aegis
    Dark Deal
    Elemental Blockade (or bow equivalent)

Is that the exact list? Because if anything else joins the list, then something has to go.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on July 25, 2020 11:16AM
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    I would say Stamsorc, since you really have no class option to get a decent Heal over time or Burstheal and the only defensive buff is Hurricane, which is nice to have, but many other classes have %-Damage Mitigation on top of the major resolve. Also Sorcs have no passives that helps them to be more tanky.

I am not sure why Templar is the worst class for most people, in PvP everything is packed with Tankplars, you have big Heal over time, burstheals and very strong defensive buffs with Focus having a Bonus on top of the major resolve, and the extended ritual reducing your block cost, also they have minor protection by using any spear ability. If they know what they are doing, Templars are a pain to bring down.
    Edited by L_Nici on July 25, 2020 11:32AM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    @FrancisCrawford
    Turn evil is a stun. With soft CCs like Talons or Encase, you can keep the adds in place and stun them if you want. It's a separate immunity cooldown.

For block mitigation, I would recommend you try playing with the mitigation calculator of UESP build editor to see how much bound aegis would impact it.

For your list, it's pretty much that + Defensive Stance (for my build) and Bound Aegis is optional.

I occasionally remove restraining prison and/or silver leash to use Crushing Shock or Ring of Preservation, Bound Aegis is only useful/necessary for some fights.

I also sometimes use Power Surge, ring of preservation makes it proc. Having the clannfear and me in the ring of preservation, it's 4 healing ticks per second with 30% crit chances so it procs on cooldown.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    L_Nici wrote: »
    I would say Stamsorc, since you really have no class option to get a decent Heal over time or Burstheal and the only defensive buff is Hurricane, which is nice to have, but many other classes have %-Damage Mitigation on top of the major resolve. Also Sorcs have no passives that helps them to be more tanky.

I am not sure why Templar is the worst class for most people, in PvP everything is packed with Tankplars, you have big Heal over time, burstheals and very strong defensive buffs with Focus having a Bonus on top of the major resolve, and the extended ritual reducing your block cost, also they have minor protection by using any spear ability. If they know what they are doing, Templars are a pain to bring down.

Well, crit surge/power surge is healing over time, dark deal is a heal, Clannfear is a burst heal (35k crit, 20k+ average on my build), I don't even run with hurricane, either there is a warden in the group for major resolve or I don't really need resistance cap anyway, bound aegis is 40% mitigation and that's more than you will ever need. You don't really need any mitigation passives, on sorcs, all is sustain and heal, and that's all you need xD You're coming with a PvP perspective.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.

• p4l4mu7
    p4l4mu7
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    People actually voted for nightblade thinking it's an assasination only class. In pve Nb is the strongest tank and dk follow him in second spot. If you have any doubts please try the class before trash talking without knowing it. I have been playing as a nb tank for 3 years. I tanked every content in game and I have triple achievement in almost all the trials. I barely play my dk tank since nb can handle every situation so easly.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    @FrancisCrawford I did some work for you.

https://imgur.com/a/ckbEwmQ

This post might interest you, pictures and comments. With my gear/stats/CPs and skill bars, keep in mind I alternate between tank and DD, and I play khajiit, so I took some choices for convenience.

For the mitigation. Let's take a 400k damage melee physical hit. While blocking without Bound Aegis, I would take 400000* (1-0.887) = 45200 damage. And I would die if I didn't have a shield.

With Bound Aegis up, I would take 400000* (1-0.952) = 19200 damage, that I could instantly heal by myself.

Hope you find it interesting :)
    PC - EU - France - AD

• FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One more thing, which sort of fits with the subtext of common smart tanking choices -- since tanks can't run full-strength Weakening enchants, I've taken to running Weakening on an Infused staff myself when I heal. Is this common? Should it be? :)
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on July 25, 2020 1:58PM
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    We have a healer providing an infused weakening enchant in my group. I think it makes sense since the nerf to 1H enchant. I went for absorb stamina on my 1H. Anyway, you should keep doing that when you heal, it can only help :)
    PC - EU - France - AD

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    NB is currently one of the best, if not the best tank spec.

Magika or Stamina? And please - tell me more!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the "your player skill" option?
    Tam! RUGH!
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Normally tanks don't spec into a particular resource. You need a balance of the two. This is true for every class.
  • Evemir
    Evemir
    ✭✭
    Nightblade
    Compared to DK, all other tanks are not tanks at all. Well, maybe warden will do.
    DK have the strongest passives, the best utility. The rest, alas, can offer nothing similar. Nightblade probably has the worst passivities
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    L_Nici wrote: »

Well, crit surge/power surge is healing over time, dark deal is a heal, Clannfear is a burst heal (35k crit, 20k+ average on my build), I don't even run with hurricane, either there is a warden in the group for major resolve or I don't really need resistance cap anyway, bound aegis is 40% mitigation and that's more than you will ever need. You don't really need any mitigation passives, on sorcs, all is sustain and heal, and that's all you need xD You're coming with a PvP perspective.

Can agree, i find sorc quite tanky.

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Normally tanks don't spec into a particular resource. You need a balance of the two. This is true for every class.

Weird. I tend to use more of one resource than the other so my tanks tend to "lean" so to speak.

Again, please tell me more!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Stamina sorcerer, thay are the worst at everything, except sustain.

But seriously though, you can tank on anything. Some are just more comfortable to tank with then others

(yes i have tanked with every class in the game)
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Except Templar. I have been playing with templar tank for about 2.5 years now and I have better results when focusing stamina resource. Lightning wall is the only magicka skill I use on my current templar tank. Everything else is stamina. Hybrid templar tank (almost equal mag and stam) felt way too under-performing to me.

A breakdown of skills I normally use with stamina templar tank,
    Taunts - sword and board taunt / stamina morph of undaunted taunt
    Primary self Heal - Resolving vigor
    Hard CC/stun - Turn Evil
    Soft CC/snare - razor caltrops
    Chain - Silver leash
    Armor skill - Restoring Focus

Restoring focus + 3x infused jewelry with stamina cost reduction enchantments really helps with stamina sustain. "Drain stamina poison" on the front bar can also help with stamina sustain on hard content (poison that last 6 seconds). I also use the sentinel of Rkugamaz's mask most of the time so that also helps with stamina. My templar tank is also an imperial, so the global cost reduction to everything also helps a lot. (imperial red diamond passive + templar restoring spirit passive)

I think one reason why people find templar tanks so horrible is that they approach templar tank builds the same way they approach other tank builds. That is hybrid builds. Which is pretty underwhelming for templar tanks.

But I have also played with a warden tank and a DK tank and they definitely felt easier to play with. And I agree that templar tanks don't really bring anything unique to the table, especially if there is at-least 1 templar healer/ stamplar dps. Hence my vote. Templar tanks have good ultimate generation tho (if using power of light).
    Edited by LashanW on July 26, 2020 4:46AM
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach