Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Worst Class for tank

r34lian
r34lian
✭✭✭✭✭
which class is now worst for tank
I remember back in the days DK were the best
For me it's the templars
which ones are doing badly at the moment for you guys
Edited by r34lian on July 23, 2020 11:25AM
2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton

Worst Class for tank 214 votes

Dragonknight
3%
AlnilamEOrphanHelgensunshineflameSleep724CloudlessInaya1kaisernickSanguisCorvus 8 votes
Nightblade
26%
BlueRavenUglyTriangleLuxLunaelolo_01b16_ESONemesis7884adilazimdegilxtaylorwilenskiub17_ESOJames-WayneWingmitebaZodi53ArcVelarianMayraelNoblemerpaulsimonpsLucyferLightbringerJeffrey530Ultravylencenetch_a_sketchTan9oSuccka 56 votes
Necromancer
4%
DTStormfoxHjorthLettigallOnefrkncrzypopeccfeelingRoztlin45AgaTheGreatbutterrum222Ysbriel 9 votes
Sorcerer
23%
Dracanechess1ukb16_ESOKhenarthiphilips666_18b16_ESOElvenheartfiftypercentgreyNeoXanthuslelink88OtarTheMadparpinVevvevMonoAlvaKonstant_Tel_Necrisessi2PhantomOcelotOlupajmibananphileunderx2GreenseaIncursionChickenSucker 50 votes
Templar
41%
Stxdhoward5b14_ESOGlassHalfFullxaraanFaulgorSvenjaXelyumAstridOmniDohondelinkShalokniractoshCaffeinatedMayhemHusanSaubonCinbriParasaurolophusDaddySkoalBrrrofskipod88kk 88 votes
Warden
1%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOwild_kmacdb16_ESOTaeRai 3 votes
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've never seen a Templar Heal tank in Cyrodiil ?

Those ones that run around towers in mistform and just stay at 100% health
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Templars are hard to learn as tanks. They are pretty darn good if you do learn though.

I've gotta' go with Sorcerer in current patch.

Next patch I might switch that to Nightblade due to the changes to Grim Focus.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Also I just gotta' say i find the "DK back in the day..." comment amusing.

They are still the go-to choice for tanks.

Always has been.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • BRCOURTN
    BRCOURTN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar

Always has been.

DK tanks suck... its like, why would i want it to be so easy?
    Templars are hard to learn as tanks. They are pretty darn good if you do learn though.

I want to change my answer to sorc now, youre absolutely right. I think nightblades are the second best! But thats just because I watch JDUB a lot and he's so good with it.
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    I have no idea but nightblade seems the least likely to be a tank, cant unimagine them as assassins
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    You've never seen a Templar Heal tank in Cyrodiil ?

Those ones that run around towers in mistform and just stay at 100% health

I'm talking about pve mostly
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar

I'm disappointed. I should bring you along in a run some day to change your mind. Sorcerer tanks are OP :p
    CherryCake wrote: »
    I have no idea but nightblade seems the least likely to be a tank, cant unimagine them as assassins

NB is currently one of the best, if not the best tank spec.
    Edited by Elwendryll on July 23, 2020 12:07PM
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    BRCOURTN wrote: »

Always has been.

DK tanks suck... its like, why would i want it to be so easy?

I want to change my answer to sorc now, youre absolutely right. I think nightblades are the second best! But thats just because I watch JDUB a lot and he's so good with it.

I'm not sure how something being easy makes it suck. Uninspired? Sure. But not bad. The two are not the same thing.

The way I see it is that the end result is what matters. I don't care what class you use to get your achievements. The fact you got there is what matters.
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Elwendryll wrote: »

I'm disappointed. I should bring you along in a run some day to change your mind. Sorcerer tanks are OP :p

Yeah clanfear is pretty good
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    That feels so wrong somehow but I must have missed out on a lot then!
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    CherryCake wrote: »
    That feels so wrong somehow but I must have missed out on a lot then!

Right now they are amazing. Like really good. I'm waiting to see how Grim Focus changes things.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar

Will "learning Templar" get me a health-based heal? Because otherwise I don't see how Templar could be as good as other classes.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    r34lian wrote: »

Yeah clanfear is pretty good

Yeah. 20k+ heals non crit, ~35k crit (~30% crit), regardless of my current health.

Dark deal.
    You have basically endless sustain.
    Bound Aegis.
    I have yet to find something that doesn't ignore block that can one shot through Bound Aegis. Taking for example the giant in veteran Icereach. Every DK tank I've seen keeps running to kite it when it's enraged. I can keep it in place. Blocking vKA HM heavies during execute is useless because of the pool positioning, but I can also do it.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.

• Cloudless
    Cloudless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    DiligentExaltedDungbeetle-size_restricted.gif
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭
    If u think that some class can be best or worst for tank, then you didn't understand anything. Keep practicing.
    Edited by Veles on July 23, 2020 2:33PM
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer

I have a Templar Tank that is pretty darn good IMO. Its all about L2P and how you build it though. Mine's a mag tank that can basically seemlessly swap in as a main healer or a tank in most content. Having a small stam pool is somewhat difficult, but managable given that I'm an Argonian and I can abuse the passive.
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Serious lack or crowd control abilities and no good self heals for a tank setup.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Purely down to the lack of a health based heal.

I know NBs isn't a burst, and necro has to hit something, but Templar healing is awful on a tank.

In trials you have healers but you don't in 4 man content for the most part.
    Edited by Brrrofski on July 23, 2020 3:33PM
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veles wrote: »
    If u think that some class can be best or worst for tank, then you didn't understand anything. Keep practicing.

It is true that any class can play any role at top, end game capacity, so in that context, there is no "best or worst", but no, not all classes have fully equal capabilities. Some classes have more versatile toolkits, or toolkits better tailored to specific roles.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar
    templar.
    horrible
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    All classes are fairly close and have access to similar tools. They all have their little unique perks that make them shine in some particular situations.

And then you have templars.
    No soft CC and no health based self heal.

I don't think any class is bad. But just looking at the available tools, unless you want an AOE taunt for the fun, it has less options than the others.

I still think you can tank any content with any class. It's down to skill.
    PC - EU - France - AD

• amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All classes are fairly close and have access to similar tools. They all have their little unique perks that make them shine in some particular situations.

And then you have templars.
    No soft CC and no health based self heal.

I don't think any class is bad. But just looking at the available tools, unless you want an AOE taunt for the fun, it has less options than the others.

I still think you can tank any content with any class. It's down to skill.

I agree with the bolded.

idk what the "worst" is. I only tank with 2 classes - Necromancer and Warden. The other 2 classes I play; Sorcerer and Nightblade, I don't play as tanks. From what I can see from their toolkits, idk that I would enjoy tanking with them as much as I do with a necro or warden, though there is a little about it that seems appealing to me. I can see how they would make good tanks, tho from what I know I'd probably rate them lower on the pack.

I don't play DK or Templar to be able to speak with any familiarity on those.

From what I gather from my own experiences as a necro and warden tank, what I've seen of Nightblades and Sorcerers, and what I've heard about DK's and Templars, I would probably say the tanking hierarchy looks something like:

1. DK / Warden
    2. Necro
    3. Sorc / Nightblade
    4. Templar

But with that said, with the right build and know how, any of these can tank fully effectively in top end content.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Always has been.

Do I need to re-roll my DK tanks?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    I don't have any idea how the heck NB and sorc got so many votes, maybe @op should edit it is PvE poll?
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Templar, no question.

Then Nightblade and Sorc fighting for a distant next in line.

I'd say DK is best/easiest, but Necro and Warden can offer so much good group utility they could arguably be right along with them.

This is talking end game HM PvE content IMO.
    Tanking anything less than that in PvE you will never get a true test of what you need.
    And PvP tanking is very different and you can get carried by certain strats, builds and a few of the right skills on most classes, especially if you have any group members at all with you.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every tank except DK is:
    - viable? Yes!
    - vet trial proof? Yes! (youtube it, Veteran Sunspire - All Hard Mode Fights - Templar Main Tank)
    - stupidly hard to play? Unfortunately, yes (
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    r34lian wrote: »
    which class is now worst for tank
    I remember back in the days DK were the best
    For me it's the templars
    which ones are doing badly at the moment for you guys

I haven't tried them all so I can't really say which is the worse.

My issue with Templars is they don't have the effective crowd control options that some of the other classes have. So tanking as one can be a little more cumbersome than some of the others I've tried. But it's not so bad that you can't make it work.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Will "learning Templar" get me a health-based heal? Because otherwise I don't see how Templar could be as good as other classes.

Yeah that part sucks. That's why I usually tell Templar tanks to think about going Vampire for drain. It can be a life saver in PvE.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    While i have only one tank despite deing good with it i find it the most boring gameplay and thats DK.
    granted it has been a while so it may have changed but i just felt all the tank builds for it were just plain snooze fest.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Templar
    NB got access to Major evasion and minor resolve, both amazing when you have to tank dragons in sunspire.

Templar as tanks got... Well... They exist.