The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Worst Class for tank

• Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar
    Talking PvE easily templar. No % self heal.

The people saying sorc, idk, between clanfear and bound aegis you are pretty much immortal with some mag sustain. If you can drop block dark deal also gives you infinite stam sustain.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Saubon
    Saubon
    ✭✭✭
    Templar
    I'm not sure why so many ppl voted for NB, but NBs and DKs are the best tank classes in the game
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    are we this bored that we have to poll about what nobody will play?

just curious

:#
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    The only reason people even choose Sorcerer Tanks, is so they do not have to carry the burdens of a Sorcerer DPS or Healer to provide Minor Prophecy for them and can have more valueable classes ad DDs and Healers, while letting Sorcerers perform the least important role of Off-Tank. Basically the trash bin of ESO.

Sorcerer has the worst tanking/defense passives and no solid abilities that can be connected to tanking.

Nightblade also lost a good amount of appeal with the changes to Merciless Resolve. And their social appeal is arguably worse, since Minor Savagery does not seem to be as desirable as minor prophecy, considering the current composition of most endgame groups.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    barney2525 wrote: »
    are we this bored that we have to poll about what nobody will play?

just curious

:#

yesh
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Dracane wrote: »
    The only reason people even choose Sorcerer Tanks, is so they do not have to carry the burdens of a Sorcerer DPS or Healer to provide Minor Prophecy for them and can have more valueable classes ad DDs and Healers, while letting Sorcerers perform the least important role of Off-Tank. Basically the trash bin of ESO.

Sorcerer has the worst tanking/defense passives and no solid abilities that can be connected to tanking.

Nightblade also lost a good amount of appeal with the changes to Merciless Resolve. And their social appeal is arguably worse, since Minor Savagery does not seem to be as desirable as minor prophecy, considering the current composition of most endgame groups.

Excuse me? I usually agree with your posts on sorcs, but this time I'm confused.

Active abilities:
    Restraining Prison
    Dark Deal
    Unstable Clannfear
    (Empowered Ward)
    Bound Aegis
    (Power Surge)

Passives:
    Unholy Knowledge
    Blood Magic
    Persistence
    Power Stone
    (Daedric Protection)
    Expert summoner
    Capacitor

Then it's probably only in my groups, but I'm often the main, and the off-tank is a DK. There are many situations where I have more survivability than them, and they can still bring support to the group.

I don't know how other sorcerer tanks play, but my main highest pool is stam, and I run with high mag regen.

I genuinely think sorcs have the best survivability, through their regen/cost reduction passives, and dark deal, as well as very high mitigation and self healing, with Bound Aegis and Clannfear (and dark deal again, since it heals) .

It lacks group utility, but you can provide minor prophecy and minor intellect, as well as a potential synergy, and the reduced ultimate cost is really nice.

On top of that, next patch, they'll have an armor debuff, and a slightly higher debuff value on Alkosh thanks to their 5% more physical damage provided by the energized passive + amplitude reverse execute.

Anyway. I'm really surprised by some of the perspectives on sorc tanks, maybe it's just because it's uncommon on main tank, and people don't know about their true powers.
    Edited by Elwendryll on July 24, 2020 1:23PM
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Algorax
    Algorax
    ✭✭✭✭
    CherryCake wrote: »
    I have no idea but nightblade seems the least likely to be a tank, cant unimagine them as assassins

Just try to be more creative: i can assure you that their kit makes tanking more than viable
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Elwendryll wrote: »

Excuse me? I usually agree with your posts on sorcs, but this time I'm confused.

Active abilities:
    Restraining Prison
    Dark Deal
    Unstable Clannfear
    (Empowered Ward)
    Bound Aegis
    (Power Surge)

Passives:
    Unholy Knowledge
    Blood Magic
    Persistence
    Power Stone
    (Daedric Protection)
    Expert summoner
    Capacitor

Then it's probably only in my groups, but I'm often the main, and the off-tank is a DK. There are many situations where I have more survivability than them, and they can still bring support to the group.

I don't know how other sorcerer tanks play, but my main highest pool is stam, and I run with high mag regen.

I genuinely think sorcs have the best survivability, through their regen/cost reduction passives, and dark deal, as well as very high mitigation and self healing, with Bound Aegis and Clannfear (and dark deal again, since it heals) .

It lacks group utility, but you can provide minor prophecy and minor intellect, as well as a potential synergy, and the reduced ultimate cost is really nice.

On top of that, next patch, they'll have an armor debuff, and a slightly higher debuff value on Alkosh thanks to their 5% more physical damage provided by the energized passive + amplitude reverse execute.

Anyway. I'm really surprised by some of the perspectives on sorc tanks, maybe it's just because it's uncommon on main tank, and people don't know about their true powers.

Can agree on this one. Only thing that makes me considerate and play may dk when i have the chance to in Trials is "Stagger" and maybe Magma Shell.

Did vKA HM on Sorc as well and it has been so far fun to me at least since we need a Sorc in Grp for the Buff ^^
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    What i need to add is that while Necrotank is rly fun to play and very active, it feels to me like the warden on release.

Nice utility, but no real Burstheal. Remember when Wardens had to spam flowers to heal themselfs in trials ^^.
    Necro just lacks a good heal when theres no target with u.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer

Active abilities:
    Restraining Prison
    Dark Deal
    Unstable Clannfear
    (Empowered Ward)
    Bound Aegis
    (Power Surge)

Passives:
    Unholy Knowledge
    Blood Magic
    Persistence
    Power Stone
    (Daedric Protection)
    Expert summoner
    Capacitor

I do not mean passives that can indirectly be considered useful for tanking. In some way, nearly any passive could be said to be somehow useful. I am talking about real defense/tanking passives though. Resistences, % mitigations or real utility.

Sorcerer has some interesting gimmicks, but comparing them to the unmatched usefullness and immortality of Dragonknights? A trifle! I find their way of tanking very interesting and I use a very untraditional tanking style as a Sorcerer, to great success. Yet I do not give myself the illusion to be able to compete with the utility other classes can bring to a group.

My point is; Sorcerer is a pretty selfish tank and every class can easily make a selfish build and survive well with that. That does not make them useful or desirable. And in my opinion, Nightblades and Sorcerers are barely desirable. I am happy to hear though, that your group gives you such a vital position and that you can use it with such success. You are certainly good and can make it work well. :)
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade

Active abilities:
    Restraining Prison
    Dark Deal
    Unstable Clannfear
    (Empowered Ward)
    Bound Aegis
    (Power Surge)

Passives:
    Unholy Knowledge
    Blood Magic
    Persistence
    Power Stone
    (Daedric Protection)
    Expert summoner
    Capacitor

I do not mean passives that can indirectly be considered useful for tanking. In some way, nearly any passive could be said to be somehow useful. I am talking about real defense/tanking passives though. Resistences, % mitigations or real utility.

Sorcerer has some interesting gimmicks, but comparing them to the unmatched usefullness and immortality of Dragonknights? A trifle! I find their way of tanking very interesting and I use a very untraditional tanking style as a Sorcerer, to great success. Yet I do not give myself the illusion to be able to compete with the utility other classes can bring to a group.

My point is; Sorcerer is a pretty selfish tank and every class can easily make a selfish build and survive well with that. That does not make them useful or desirable. And in my opinion, Nightblades and Sorcerers are barely desirable. I am happy to hear though, that your group gives you such a vital position and that you can use it with such success. You are certainly good and can make it work well. :)

This. To be selfish tank is an easy task, anyone can do this, but tanks in ESO are more about group utility and synergy... Both sorcs and NB have almost no group utility. Their ultima tes, their skills, everything they can use serves them not the group. I've created unkillable PvE tanks long time ago, I used to run on almost every spec in the game with those but these are not good and desired tanks.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

Active abilities:
    Restraining Prison
    Dark Deal
    Unstable Clannfear
    (Empowered Ward)
    Bound Aegis
    (Power Surge)

Passives:
    Unholy Knowledge
    Blood Magic
    Persistence
    Power Stone
    (Daedric Protection)
    Expert summoner
    Capacitor

This. To be selfish tank is an easy task, anyone can do this, but tanks in ESO are more about group utility and synergy... Both sorcs and NB have almost no group utility. Their ultima tes, their skills, everything they can use serves them not the group. I've created unkillable PvE tanks long time ago, I used to run on almost every spec in the game with those but these are not good and desired tanks.

Those kinds of tanks can be plenty good, because they require less stress on the healers, allowing healers to focus their efforts on the rest of the group.

While a tank can and should be offering some form of assistance to the group, this game does not revolve around DPS and solely supporting their damage output. There are many ways that a tank can support a group, and yes, that "selfishness" does also play a part in that. I can't help my group if I'm dead.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CherryCake wrote: »
    I have no idea but nightblade seems the least likely to be a tank, cant unimagine them as assassins

That is an issue in your head then. Nbs are not just rogues and Nb tanks are farily strong.
    Edited by exeeter702 on July 24, 2020 4:16PM
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Veles wrote: »
    If u think that some class can be best or worst for tank, then you didn't understand anything. Keep practicing.

From an endgame pve perspective there is absolutely no reason to run a Templar tank. Every other class has some sensible raid composition where it makes sense to run that class as a tank, except for Templar. Templar brings nothing to the group that can't be done better by another class.

So yeah, Templar is the worst tank class.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If u think that some class can be best or worst for tank, then you didn't understand anything. Keep practicing.

From an endgame pve perspective there is absolutely no reason to run a Templar tank. Every other class has some sensible raid composition where it makes sense to run that class as a tank, except for Templar. Templar brings nothing to the group that can't be done better by another class.

From an endgame PVE perspective, a Templar can still complete any content just fine.

It's not endgame PVE. It's scoreboards.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar

Active abilities:
    Restraining Prison
    Dark Deal
    Unstable Clannfear
    (Empowered Ward)
    Bound Aegis
    (Power Surge)

Passives:
    Unholy Knowledge
    Blood Magic
    Persistence
    Power Stone
    (Daedric Protection)
    Expert summoner
    Capacitor

I'd say Sorc and NB's best group utility comes from their faster ultimate generation / ultimate cost reduction. That might not be enough, but it's not nothing. They also have supportive ultimates in Negate and Bolstering Darkness. It certainly seems better than Templars' group utility, and on top of that Sorcs and NBs don't struggle as much with self-heaiing.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Active abilities:
    Restraining Prison
    Dark Deal
    Unstable Clannfear
    (Empowered Ward)
    Bound Aegis
    (Power Surge)

Passives:
    Unholy Knowledge
    Blood Magic
    Persistence
    Power Stone
    (Daedric Protection)
    Expert summoner
    Capacitor

I'd say Sorc and NB's best group utility comes from their faster ultimate generation / ultimate cost reduction. That might not be enough, but it's not nothing. They also have supportive ultimates in Negate and Bolstering Darkness. It certainly seems better than Templars' group utility, and on top of that Sorcs and NBs don't struggle as much with self-heaiing.

Yup.

The DPS demand that we slot ults like War Horn but then complain when we wear gear or set up to have higher uptime on them
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar

From an endgame PVE perspective, a Templar can still complete any content just fine.

You're missing the point. Every class can complete all content in any role in the hands of a skilled player. Every class EXCEPT Templar has a justifiable reason for being a tank in a raid. There is no good reason to Templar tank instead of another class. Templar is the worst tank class by virtue of bringing nothing to the table other than being different.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're missing the point. Every class can complete all content in any role in the hands of a skilled player. Every class EXCEPT Templar has a justifiable reason for being a tank in a raid. There is no good reason to Templar tank instead of another class. Templar is the worst tank class by virtue of bringing nothing to the table other than being different.

I'm not missing any point. There is one hugely justifiable reason: Templars are what that particular player finds fun.

That should be the #1 reason for anyone to play any class, any role, and any setup. What is fun.

That is why I specified that it only matters for leaderboard and speed runs. For runs with groups of friends that are just doing the trials for fun, it hardly matters at all.

If you want to argue that Templars *should* have that utility? I'd probably agree. I don't know much about Templars, as I have never played one, to really know what their skill trees look like. But I am on board with each class having tools necessary to perform each role successfully.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    I would say that probably in the next update it will be Nightblade.

Grim Focus stacks will now offer dmg & healing buff vs dmg mitigation buff. And I agree, that skill in an assassination skill line should be damage focused. It was weird change to begin with that they added dmg mitigation to this skill, but it for sure made NB tanks more prominent.

Also, generally NB is kinda "selfish" class, so in a Tank role, NB often have to use a lot of skills from outside of their toolkit. Their Class ultimate from shadow skill line (Tank skill line), "Consuming Darkness" provides probably the most useless group synergy in the game... invisibility... that in 99.99% of cases gets broken immediately after... NB in general provides probably the lowest group utility in game (the other debatable class for that is Sorcerer Tank).

Note:
    My hope is that dmg & healing bonus from Grim Focus, can potentially bring NB Sap Tanks back from the grave, as this used to be how NB class worked in the past as a tank. By dealing some damage & healing. The more enemies there was, the more damage you could out-heal. But, I don't know... it might not be enough.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on July 24, 2020 9:14PM
  • Somnilux
    Somnilux
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    I don't know how NBs with Dark cloak (minor prot + health scaling self heal), the only main guarenteed aoe minor vuln (lotus fan), grim focus (currently 10% untyped DR pretty much passive, next patch this is getting nerfed), blur (major evasion + minor resolve), mass hysteria, and power extraction could possibly be getting votes. Clearly people have never played them. Even with the nerf to grim focus next patch they're still going to be one of the top specs.
    Luxe Khanna - AD, Rank 49 Argonian Magblade Healer
    Crystala Khanna - AD, Rank 40 Khajiit Stamplar
    Guilds: Fantasia, Dominant Dominion.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somnilux wrote: »
    I don't know how NBs with Dark cloak (minor prot + health scaling self heal), the only main guarenteed aoe minor vuln (lotus fan), grim focus (currently 10% untyped DR pretty much passive, next patch this is getting nerfed), blur (major evasion + minor resolve), mass hysteria, and power extraction could possibly be getting votes. Clearly people have never played them. Even with the nerf to grim focus next patch they're still going to be one of the top specs.

Let me ask - is there ANY way a NB could get away with Dual Wielding as a tank? Even if it's a single bar back bar?

I have a NB that would all sound appealing on to respec into a tank, but for personal reasons, using DW on him is a non-negotiable, but I don't so much like DPS because, well, I suck at it.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar

Another option to add to the list is "Power Extraction" it is basicly a little bit lower than the nerfed mending, wich CAN be usefull in some situations, not talking scorepush here.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar

I'm not missing any point. There is one hugely justifiable reason: Templars are what that particular player finds fun.

That should be the #1 reason for anyone to play any class, any role, and any setup. What is fun.

That is why I specified that it only matters for leaderboard and speed runs. For runs with groups of friends that are just doing the trials for fun, it hardly matters at all.

If you want to argue that Templars *should* have that utility? I'd probably agree. I don't know much about Templars, as I have never played one, to really know what their skill trees look like. But I am on board with each class having tools necessary to perform each role successfully.

Uh yeah, this thread is about which class is the worst tanks. Has nothing to do with fun. OP is talking about class toolkit and roster composition lol. That's the entire point.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Templar

thank you, I feel like I'm relatively alone in not bugging out about the grim focus change, but anyway I also feel like people really overlook how great of a tank skill dark cloak in particular is. ONE ability slot for FOUR things: an HP scaling HOT, major resolve, minor protection, and 3% more max HP. Leaves a lot of room for slotting group utility
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NB is currently one of the best, if not the best tank spec.

Magika or Stamina? And please - tell me more!
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templar

Idk how sorcs are getting votes either when templars exist. Bound Aegis is insane damage reduction while blocking and you have a reliable burst heal that scales with max health and major vitality on demand.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Kr3do
    Kr3do
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    Time to rework Sun Shield ZOS.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    I have to say, this poll triggered me so much on so many levels ahah.

I guess not that many people actually have an understanding of all the class kits, and some classes are not commonly used so people don't know what they can do.

And then, for the people who do have the knowledge, not everyone has the same criteria of what makes a good tank. Probably because they have different expectations. To me, the main goal of a tank is maximizing group dps, every buff/debuff you can get contributes toward that, positioning is essential, not relying on a healer to survive also contributes as they can spend more time buffing/debuffing or doing damage. Again that's my opinion, but any set that only helps you stay alive and nothing more is "learning gear".

Some classes have flaws that are fixed by the access to universal abilities.

There are also a lot of assumptions, because somes classes are viewed as tanks, DK is supposed to be a tank, NB and sorcerers don't sound like classes that should be tanking. But the game changed a lot since release, a lot of abilities/passives were changed to help tanking (persistence on sorc changed from increased dark magic abilities duration to reduced ability cost after blocking for instance). I would like to see more data, to objectively compare the sustain, mitigation, healing, control, and group buffs/synergy etc... each class has access to. While everyone agrees on DK being the best tanks, I'm pretty sure it's not even the case for all encounters/scenarios (solo tanking being an example of alternative scenario, or specific group compositions).

So yeah. If anyone has more number based arguments to compare each tank, I'd absolutely love to see it.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noobish tank question here -- why isn't Turn Evil the go-to cc, hence obviating most comparisons of class-specific cc skills?