The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

PvP - Removal of skilled Gameplay

FirmamentOfStars
FirmamentOfStars
✭✭✭✭✭
During the last patches (months and even years) ZOS tried to make this game more and more casual friendly to please a big, but maybe also short living population of players. There were several tries to lower the ceiling and raise the floor for PvE to the state of really simple input of a player can result in decent performance (such as dps for example). Also PvP was hit with several changes, which mostly benefited the larger population of newer and less experienced players.

In greymoor we have seen changes to critical resistance, such as lower effects of the impenetrable trait (another change coming next patch) and a base critical resistance. Naturally this allows some bigger build diversity, since impenetrable is not the only single trait for PvP anymore, but also inexperienced players not having fundamental knowledge about this now have a natural critical resistance. Another change was the healing reduction of battle spirit from 50% to 60%, which in general is a 20% nerf to healing. A change hurting the solo individual outside of a group rather than the actual problem: cross healing between players and high stackable mitigation.

The PvP in this game has huge potential and everybody can (almost) play as they like. From solo PvP over small scale groups to ball groups or huge zergs, there is something for everybody, still there are differences of skill required to perform in these different kind of PvP content. Normally the smaller the group the more difficult the content gets. Still I would not call ball grouping unskilled. But in the end I want to talk about solo PvP or small scale PvP, which in my opinion requires the most or actual skill. Lots of people can agree, that this content got more and more difficult during the last years, since many changes hurt the solo PvPers more than the big groups.

A very big part playing into this too are damage proc sets (well not only damage proc sets, but coming to that later). Patches ago a good PvP build was about maximizing stats to make your skills as impactful as possible. But with the time more and more proc sets made it into the game, dealing damage or providing heals additionally to what you yourself actually did. The first sets mostly had dealing damage as a requirement to unleash their effect, they came with proc chances. Every patch we got more and more of these sets, meanwhile the proc conditions got a bit more tricky (well not really tricky, but more specific). Nowadays there are plenty of these sets around and building around them actually is more than viable. Even in cp builds including one or more proc sets are very oppressive and deal very good damage in PvP. Already one damage proc set can deal 10% to 20% of a players total dps in a 1v1 fight. Using multiple sets of this kind can contribute to more than 50% of your damage.

Especially in no cp PvP a lot of players let their proc sets deal the most part of their damage, zaan, grothdarr or maw of infernal are universally used on magicka and stamina builds as monster sets. Additionally, morkuldin, poisonous serpent and the new venomous smite are used very often. On the magicka site overwhelming surge, caluurion or ice furnace are seen frequently. The new mythic item malacaths band of brutality made the already high prevalence of damage proc sets even “worse” in no cp PvP. Not only no cp PvP is plagued by this, especially with malacaths band of brutality these proc sets are used more and more in cp PvP too.

The Patch v6.10 introduced another strong damage proc set and many old ones were reworked. A lot of these old sets’ damage was increased and many lost their proc chance. Following I listed some damage proc sets, which allow a base dps of 2000 damage more by almost zero player input (they may have a cooldown diminishing that value over a longer time, but many fights do no go on for a prolonged time):

Venomous Smite: 2241 damage per second for 10 seconds, 15 seconds cooldown
Red Mountain: 5918 damage instantly, 2 seconds cooldown
Unfathomable Darkness: 6020 damage every 3 seconds
Way of Fire: 4000 damage instantly, 2 seconds cooldown
Icy Conjuror: 21700 damage over 10 seconds, 10 seconds cooldown
Pillar of Nirn: 4718 damage initially and 23590 over 10 seconds, 10 seconds cooldown
Plague Slinger: 5095 damage every second for 5 seconds, 8 seconds cooldown
Poisonous Serpent: 3945 damage every 2 seconds (ok almost 2k dps)
Merciless Charge: 10032 damage over 5 seconds, no cooldown

and the new Unleashed Terror: 19728 damage over 5 seconds, 10 seconds cooldown.

Short example: Any stamina character can combine unleashed terror and merciless charge to apply a 29760 damage over 5 seconds to any enemy in stampedes AoE.

All those numbers by the way are the unbuffed numbers and even in no cp PvP are increased by damage done modifiers (like malacaths band of brutality or essence thief, etc).

All those sets alone deal quite oppressive damage on their own. Fighting somebody with only one of these sets can be frustrating and exhausting. If the enemy combines those sets with each other or with monster sets, it will get even worse. Now imagine fighting multiple opponents with those sets.

Well this all would not be that bad, if those sets had a difficult proc condition. On the current live server red mountain and way of fire have a rather small proc chance, therefore only builds using flurry for example can make the set work. But with the coming update many proc sets auto proc on any damage reapplying very easily without any further doing of the player. One player can use a 10 second dot together with the sets way of fire and red mountain and will get almost 10k additional damage on every second tick of this one dot. Merciless charge plus unleashed terror unleashes a 6k damage over time effect on everybody by using on skill. Especially this patch with the lower healing through battlespirit, where breath of life heals for 4-5k, matriarch for 5-6k, vigor ticks for 2k, these sets will deal obnoxious, in many cases unavoidable damage, by doing nothing.

This new update makes proccing powerful proc sets too easy resulting in massive free damage outside of the global cooldown. Many players are dissatisfied with this easiness to deal damage thanks to these changes. People are dissatisfied with those mechanics, they were dissatisfied during the last proc meta, they are dissatisfied in the current proc meta in no cp, they are dissatisfied in other games like WoW with the proc meta and will be dissatisfied in the next patch, if this goes through.

Well not only damage proc sets will be prevalent next patch, but also healing sets. Many sets like draugr’s heritage got their cooldown reduced, healing the player when falling low health, maybe saving their life, an easy survive mechanic with a new very short cooldown.

Many players feel bad about using proc sets, because in the end the sets do the job instead of yourself, they feel ashamed using them, because it is called cheese. It is unpleasant to fight against a proc set user, when you feel the enemies win is based on the sets and not his skill.

In conclusion:
The new update will reintroduce a proc set meta, since the proc conditions are mostly taken away from many sets. Applying the damage procs will be as easy as never before and will augment the damage output of inexperienced players a lot by zero player input. Same goes for healing, since many self heal sets will have a low cooldown saving lives again and again. These changes will motivate players to use these sets, allow lazy gameplay, inhibits players actually playing the game and letting their sets do the work. Skill will be meaningless in such a state of the game, since all you have to do is apply your sets damage. The more proc sets you have, the better you are, promoting people to not learn the game, to not improve. Meanwhile experienced players will be either overwhelmed by the incoming free damage or will go the same route abusing proc sets.
Edited by FirmamentOfStars on July 14, 2020 3:55PM
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most of this,

In terms of the crit resists, i cant say it favored lower skilled players....but just opens the door for newer players to get into pvp easier without a gear window. Skill isnt really affected in anyway. If anything me having the ability to run a more efficient trait over the next guy helps me more.

Zos's view on healing comes from lack of pvp knowledge. Much like how they havent been able to figure out the server load issue.
    1. Cross healing out of groups is an issue. (40+ players able to heal each other...cant imagine why the server has issues)
    2. Utility sets going out of group are an issue (some sets are changing this patch to work only on groups....again cant imagine why the servers have issues).
    3. Over time effects stacking are an issue (remember when a 50 man group couldnt stack 50 rapid regens on someone.....ugh a third time, cant imagine why the servers have issues)
    4. Mass CC in available with little counterplay options (snare/root immunity could be doubled in duration, more sources)
    5. Ap is too lucrative for mass pvdooring (could make incentives for guilds taking keeps to gain ap from campaign rewards based on what they contribute. Make resources worth exponentially more based on the amount of seige/counterseige on the keep. Remove destroyable bridges/gates and make transit lines between the outposts/towns and trikeeps instead of gates to edge keeps.
    6. The community has been annoyed at procs since the old days.....pvp could easily have something added to battlespirit if zos didnt want to change sets. The same *** happens everytime we get into a proc/dot meta. People get pissed at dying to mechanics that dont require skill, dots/procs get nerfed....then we all of a sudden are in a "tank" meta where people cant kill anything. Tbh the "tank" meta complaints are just because 90% of the players now are terrible at burst. PvP has become pve rotations with maybe a small ult burst rotation. This is why you see people angry at the old magsorc players.....their damage comes from timing abilities together to get burst, and this is hard to digest for most people these days apparently.
    Edited by MincVinyl on July 14, 2020 4:09PM
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1ty1smohir8e.png

The new unleashed terror is insane, and its just ice conjuror all over again, nerfs incoming no doubt.

Blooddrinker, high wep damage, few other buffs, you could easily get that tooltip up to 40k+, approaching 10k every second. Funny but... yikes...
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Foto1
    Foto1
    ✭✭✭✭
    perhaps now dozens of old dusty sets will become relevant. This, I think, is good
    PC/EU CP 1200+
    Artaxerks stamina dk khajiit
    Wayna Qhapaq magicka dk argonian
    Rorekur stamina sorc orc
    Maria de Medici magicka sorc breton
    Cordeilla stamina warden wood elf
    Quienn Gwendolen magicka warden high elf
    Nefertari stamina necro khajiit
    Boadicea Icenian magicka templar dark elf
    Clarice de Medici healer nb breton
  • Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too bad ZOS makes OP sets, instead of just delete streak and cloak.
    But this is still better then what we have now.
    Edited by Zatox on July 14, 2020 4:56PM
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1ty1smohir8e.png

The new unleashed terror is insane, and its just ice conjuror all over again, nerfs incoming no doubt.

Blooddrinker, high wep damage, few other buffs, you could easily get that tooltip up to 40k+, approaching 10k every second. Funny but... yikes...

Yeah thinking about trying that with a Maelstrom 2hander:

(2 items) Critical Charge deals an additional 10032 Bleed Damage over 5 seconds.
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this one scared me from the first look on the patch notes
    PC-EU
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :trollface: and I have already theory crafted and tested on PTS cheese af build :D Hope they will leave it as it is, can't wait to stomp all those new players thinking that slotting proc set is all they need to do to be good at PvP :trollface:
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    They 100% do not care about pvp I don't even know why you bother typing it out. I also absolutely agree with you on everything though man well said.
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »

this one scared me from the first look on the patch notes
    1ty1smohir8e.png

Yeah thinking about trying that with a Maelstrom 2hander:

(2 items) Critical Charge deals an additional 10032 Bleed Damage over 5 seconds.

Thats my example above: the new unleashed terror plus vMA 2h (merciless charge) together results in a base tooltip of 30k dot in 5 seconds, which is crazy high.
    Mayrael wrote: »
    :trollface: and I have already theory crafted and tested on PTS cheese af build :D Hope they will leave it as it is, can't wait to stomp all those new players thinking that slotting proc set is all they need to do to be good at PvP :trollface:

Well good for you, bit outnumbered you get those procs on you fairly quick. It just plays even more into the current state of class performance, where mostly sorcs and now nightblades profit. Sorcs can streak into safety and heal through the procs as long as the enemies do not catch up for further pressure, meanwhile nightblades can cloak and negate the dot pressure from these sets and also negate the proc conditions.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So 10 second cool down "per target". Does that mean I can gap close my way through a crowd dropping 30K of dots on each?

This patch man. :D
    Edited by katorga on July 14, 2020 6:15PM
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    So 10 second cool down "per target". Does that mean I can gap close my way through a crowd dropping 30K of dots on each?

This patch man. :D

You understood that right. But why gap closing several times if once is enough with 2h stampede or nbs lotus fan teleport (both have some aoe to proc it on several enemies).
  • DukeDiewalker
    DukeDiewalker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Catering to casuals in terms of Pvp and endgame Pve is the death of any MMO in the longterm. Has been proven countless times. Please don't make ESO another example.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Something that could be done which would also improve performance drastically is to disallow all sets except those specific to Cyrodiil and the IC -- i.e., PvP sets.

Wide access to PvE sets is part of the problem where there are too many too-good combinations. So many PvP builds don't even use PvP sets.

The reduction is usable sets would immediately also reduce the amount of processing required.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on July 14, 2020 7:12PM
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Catering to casuals in terms of Pvp and endgame Pve is the death of any MMO in the longterm. Has been proven countless times. Please don't make ESO another example.

A large chunk of these so-called "casuals" are new players -- vital to keeping any MMO alive.
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

A large chunk of these so-called "casuals" are new players -- vital to keeping any MMO alive.

New and casual are completely different - and this game isn't really catering to new players. New players are usually eager to learn and improve - if the game helps, incentivizes and rewards them for doing so. Casuals, or rather lazy players, are the ones asking for easy mode, dumbed down gameplay and carrys.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know. I feel pretty casual but I don't like this stuff. I'd rather spend my limited time I play, actually executing my own abilities and managing my own resources on a well thought out build over just finding the staple proc set to do the work for me while I get to spend my time just grinding the new flavor every 3 months. I don't find grind then coast as fun, so maybe that's why I stay so casual.
  • maddiniiLuna
    maddiniiLuna
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you all complaining about op here? It's triggered of Direct Damage!

That's Silver Leash and the thingi from Nightblade and charge from 2H that's about it.

Warden is Frost Damage,
    DK is Magic Damage,
    Templar sucks,
    Necromancer don't do any damage with that,
    Sorc is Magic damage

Gonna invest 10 extra points from Ironclad to dot defense and that's dealt with.
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you all complaining about op here? It's triggered of Direct Damage!

That's Silver Leash and the thingi from Nightblade and charge from 2H that's about it.

Warden is Frost Damage,
    DK is Magic Damage,
    Templar sucks,
    Necromancer don't do any damage with that,
    Sorc is Magic damage

Gonna invest 10 extra points from Ironclad to dot defense and that's dealt with.

You talking about the new set of what? Everyone can use a gapcloser, its very easy to proc.

10 points into dot defense will not really solve the issue, especially not in no cp environement.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s sad how there are still PvPers who play with the mindset of “there is so much potential in ESO surely it will improve”.....

It’s not gonna improve. Ever.

How many years has it been? Around 3 years since Morrowind balance changes drove the gameplay downhill and it’s only ever gotten worse. Lag has also only ever got worse. Sets have only grown much more powerful/influential in the outcome of fights.

In terms of proc sets, we used to say waaaaaaaaaay long ago that Viper’s Sting was too much proc damage, to the point where it fundamentally hurt the gameplay since procs were becoming equal to abilities. Well many sets now and particularly some of the new sets make Viper’s Sting in its prime look weak. Just one of the many reasons why PvP campaigns are a tiny fraction of what they used to be despite a higher overall population and significantly increased PvP rewards.
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    I think it’s sad how there are still PvPers who play with the mindset of “there is so much potential in ESO surely it will improve”.....

It’s not gonna improve. Ever.

How many years has it been? Around 3 years since Morrowind balance changes drove the gameplay downhill and it’s only ever gotten worse. Lag has also only ever got worse. Sets have only grown much more powerful/influential in the outcome of fights.

In terms of proc sets, we used to say waaaaaaaaaay long ago that Viper’s Sting was too much proc damage, to the point where it fundamentally hurt the gameplay since procs were becoming equal to abilities. Well many sets now and particularly some of the new sets make Viper’s Sting in its prime look weak. Just one of the many reasons why PvP campaigns are a tiny fraction of what they used to be despite a higher overall population and significantly increased PvP rewards.

Totally agree with you. Viper‘s sting was the first really strong proc set, but not the only one. Tremorscale back then was also a obnoxious monsterset to fight against as instant damage proc and insane snare.

Naturally the state of performance got worse over the years and we got nothing to alleviate that problem so far. Maybe they now do something (at least it was announced).

Regarding proc sets though there were better times after the first initial nerf of proc sets, where most players went back to stat sets. But we alsk had the bleed metas and the glyph meta, and now we are back to the proc sets. Balancing towards fair and skillful gameplay was abandoned already before that though.
  • SmukkeHeks
    SmukkeHeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casual doesn’t equal lazy, ignorant or a desire to be carried. Just as those with demands on logs aren’t elitist. We’re just in the opposite sides of the same string.

Right now cyrodiil is only playable outside prime time, which in Europe only is for a couple hours per 24. That means the customer has two choices: accept the lag or shut it down. Most of us casual players are casual because this is our free time, we do this for our amusement.

I’d be game with the pvp-only-sets. Standardized to the faction. I’d be game with a more stringent way of strategize the play inside cyrodiil.

Because the way it rolls right now, is the perfect condition for everything from very frustrated players to downright conspiracy theories. The self resurrection, the costume hack, the non-targetable enemy, the disappearance of an enemy that didn’t pop a potion nor have invisibility in their skill kit, the sudden stop for own skill use, the non responsive wayshrine, the non responsive resurrection of comrades, the loading screens, the desyncs, did I forget anything?

And all of the above is a hot mess of cheaters, a game that has not been cared for in years, the servers capability. None can say what is what anymore, and it do not seem as if zos is going to test on the Eu.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MincVinyl wrote: »
    I agree with most of this,

In terms of the crit resists, i cant say it favored lower skilled players....but just opens the door for newer players to get into pvp easier without a gear window. Skill isnt really affected in anyway. If anything me having the ability to run a more efficient trait over the next guy helps me more.

Zos's view on healing comes from lack of pvp knowledge. Much like how they havent been able to figure out the server load issue.
    1. Cross healing out of groups is an issue. (40+ players able to heal each other...cant imagine why the server has issues

I agree with your opening remark. However, I have yet to see healing out of the group in this game. After all, the alliance is the main group so it makes sense we can heal our fellow warriors. This is AvAvA after all, not as simple 4v4 or 8v8 match.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well if the Templar changes go through as is, I will 100% convert to full pepega procset monkey.
    7 well fitted medium, wood elf, steed, all procsets.
    Charge in roll out, watch them bleed.
    Rinse repeat.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think in short term it allows new people to get used to PvP without being frustrated 24/7. Therefore it might cause an increase in PvP population which is highly welcome.

Long term it seems to be boring to PvP with so much damage coming from proc sets. We already had a proc meta and the complaints were loud, very loud.
  • Ruder
    Ruder
    ✭✭✭✭
    New Dot meta, but this time it is not from skills :)
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    I think in short term it allows new people to get used to PvP without being frustrated 24/7. Therefore it might cause an increase in PvP population which is highly welcome.

Long term it seems to be boring to PvP with so much damage coming from proc sets. We already had a proc meta and the complaints were loud, very loud.

Wouldnt new players be overwhelmed too by the insane damage? Naturally staying near allies might be safe zone or at least some security due to cross healing and allies pressuring the opponents, but if catched alone or at the side, they will be killed faster than ever before. The only satisfying feeling they can get is being able to contribute to kills with their proc damage. Surely this will not change anything in the long term in a positiv way, only will affect the PvP state for the worse.
  • PeterUnlustig
    PeterUnlustig
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »

It's the same thing with the healing changes. It was meant to make it easier for new players to kill meta tanks.
    But now the healing itself for new players is so low that just dotting newbies up is enough to kill them. I really don't think dying that easily is enjoyable, and it will only get worse with the new procalypse.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing how zos introduce and buff proc sets two patches in a row it's pretty clear where the direction is going. Unless adjustments are made we'll be getting a proc apocalypse 2.0
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have you tried out PvP on the PTS? Battlegrounds, Cyro, dueling? How is the proc set meta in actuality, both to play OR to play against?

While you make a lot of potentially good points, there's also a lot of hypothetical doom-and-gloom while the PTS is currently open to test things out.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • CaperGuy
    CaperGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Using sets to your advantage can be quite a bit of fun. Example, I've had a blast putting Sentry on my bow ganker, for the purposes of hunting down other gankers and bombers. Lots of these new changes look like they'll inspire a ton of fun build ideas, especially in no-cp where good options as it is tend to be more limited. I'm excited!
    Characters:

Trivalaur - Breton Templar(Healer)