Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dungeon lead drop rate bugged?

notyuu
notyuu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Yesterday was helping a friend with dark shade cavern 1, we mopped it up..and through loot log I saw they got a lead for some Dwarven Articulated Paws off the final boss, so I set abotu trying to farm it for myself...

15 hours later I still haven't gotten the lead.

I mean i know that gold leads are meant to be rare, but 15 hours non stop grinding for nada..is insane...so eaither it's broke or somebody at zos is just plain evil.

can i get a little conformation on this?
@ZOS_SarahHecker
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    been trying to get a lead from Elden hollow 1. to make the drop rate better went with full group of guildies. every single one of them eventually got the lead. except for me.

honestly? dungeon/world boss leads should be guaranteed IMO.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
    Options
  • DrScott59
    DrScott59
    ✭✭✭
    Took me 12 runs through Eldon Hollow (Normal, Solo) to get the last lead for the ring. Three of the others I got on first try, but the one from Murkmire boss took 4 tries.

Anyone know if drop rate from dungeon bosses is higher on Vet or hard mode?
    Options
  • dhboy123
    dhboy123
    ✭✭✭✭
    15 runs down on Elden hollow now without anything, this shouldn't be such a grind, so boring.
    Options
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just rng, it took me 20 mins to fish for the arteum thrassian stranglers lead while it took others hours, If you have high damage you can burn through normal runs in less than 10 mins. I would take a fighting lead over a fishing gold lead any day.
    Options
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Update: 17 1/2 hours later I got the lead

considering that it took ~150 runs

all I've got to say is that I am not looking fowards to trying to get the lead from volen..or DS2
    Options
  • SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's just rng, it took me 20 mins to fish for the arteum thrassian stranglers lead while it took others hours, If you have high damage you can burn through normal runs in less than 10 mins. I would take a fighting lead over a fishing gold lead any day.

Jealous. I have fished Arteum for about 5 hours now, still no lead...
    Options
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think for dungeon leads, drop rate should be double for veteran and triple for hard mode...
    took me average 12-15 dungeon runs per leads i tried to farm...
    with queue taking hours for dpser its really really frustrating!
    thats my 2 cents

also having to pvp to get some leads for some mythic item s...
    u can't get tranmuste crystal from doing pve contents
    but u can't get some leads if you are not doing pvp
    their should be an alternative for those with a lower drop rates
    not everyone enjoy pvping...
    Options
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree it should be there everytime you run, if you want to get all codex's this will become a nightmare, i got 1 took 4 runs, have not tried rest
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
    Options
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got the Elder Hollow lead in a couple runs but have been running Dark Shade and Volenfell all day without any luck.

All dungeons are set normal and I run them solo to save time for finding a group etc.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Options
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i'm getting drops 1st or 2nd time, its the digging up thats a pain
    Options
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done 50 mino boss kills in Gold Coast for the gold lead, and nothing. It's quite possible that there's a gold lead cooldown, if you've found X amount within a single day.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I ran Darkshade 1 and CoH 1 today, and got the lead from neither.
    Options
  • HiLyfe808
    HiLyfe808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ya the dungeon grind for the leads was not fun, but you'll get it just hang in there.
    Options
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volenfell and Razaks Whell were a pain. People saying that grouping raises the chance. Is that true?
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
    Options
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    150 runs for a single drop, as mentioned above, is so improbable that it's ridiculous: with a drop chance of 10%, which I think is a low but reasonable guess, not getting it in 150 runs has odds of about 7 million to 1 against it.

With a large sample size, this will happen to someone some time, but still, I would suggest an emergency support hotline for the unluckiest people in the game. When people have tried so many times for a drop that they should have had it with, say, a 99 percent probability, just give it to them. There's bound to be a server log to prove they did the runs. This way of cutting off the unlucky tail of the random distribution, so to speak, would eliminate the worst frustrations caused by abysmally rotten luck. The impact on the average drop rate would be negligible. It wouldn't even be any real advantage for anyone. It would just make a small number of very frustrated players somewhat less unhappy.
    Options
  • DrScott59
    DrScott59
    ✭✭✭
    I tracked the (17) lead drops I got for the "Ebon Dwarven Wolf".

Crafting Station Drops (2 of these)
    These aren't RNG, you just walk up and take them -- though one requires completing the Fighter's Guild quests that give you access to the area.

Mob Locations (kill random monster for drop)
    Mzulft... 1 kill
    Bthzark... approximately 35 kills (I lost count here, lots of dwarven constructs killed in little time)

Delve Bosses
    Inner Sea Armature.... 10 kills to get drop.
    Klathzgar.... 3 kills to get drop.
    Aldunz... 2 kills to get drop.
    Avanchzel... 4 kills to get drop.

Group Delve Bosses (Craglorn)
    Mtharnaz... 2 kills to get drop.
    Rkhardahrk... 2 kills to get drop.
    Rkundzelft... 2 kills to get drop.

Group Dungeons
    Razak's Wheel... 4 kills to get drop.
    Nchuthnkarst... 1 kill to get drop.

World Bosses
    Zenmarek's Hollow... 1 kill to get drop.

Group Dungeons (last boss)
    Darkshade Caverns1... 1 kill to get drop.
    Darkshade Caverns-2 2 kills to get drop.
    Volenfell... 1 kill to get drop.

Among the delves and dungeons, the two outliers were Inner Sea Armature (10 kills) and Eldon Hollow (12 kills). All the other delves/dungeons were roughly a 50% drop rate for me, usually getting it in 1-2 tries.
    Edited by DrScott59 on June 3, 2020 2:45AM
    Options
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten all the pieces except for the Dwarven Articulated Paws. I've killed Sentinel of Rkugamz around 10 times now ish. Several times solo and a couple of times in a group. I have no idea if the droprate goes up or down with a group, or if going solo or with a group even matters at all.

However since dungeons are (mostly) group activities I think the droprate should be higher since you need a group of players to the complete the dungeon.

To get an idea of what the droprates are I will include the number of kills I did for leads for the Dwarven Wolf to drop.

I got most leads within 1-4 tries, including Volenfell and Darkshade Caverns II. The leads that took more effort was the one in Blackreach Public dungeon Nchuthnkarst, 10+ kills give or take. Also The Last Sentinel Boss in Rkhardahrk group Delve in Craglorn. I was close to reporting a loot bug or something, since that lead took around 25+ kills.

Regarding the lead for the Dwarven Articulated Paws, perhaps that is a bug. It doesn't sound reasonable for it to take 17+ hours of grinding to get it. I realize that golden leads should seem more rare, but really 17+ hours? :|:o Either you were terribly unlucky or it's a bug.

UPDATE:
    The Dwarven Articulated Paws finally dropped. Took around 15-20 kills, give or take.
    Best of luck everyone! May RNG be with you. :)
    Edited by VDoom1 on June 5, 2020 4:20PM
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
    Options
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 20+ runs into Direfrost Keep over the past four days. Its all I've been doing in game. No drop.

Another thing that is concerning, is that in Elden Hollow dungeon, I was running with guildies, and someone congratulated me on the drop. Apparently their plugin saw that I got it. However... I didn't get it that time.

Another ten runs and I had it.

I have no reason to believe the guildy was lying about what his add on saw, so I have to believe there is some funny stuff going on. Maybe the loot is granted, but something client side is not allowing it to happen?

Direfrost Keep, sadly I can't solo because of the pressure plates. So I've spend around 20 hours waiting in queues and running it. Starting to feel like Groundhog Day. I know exactly where to drop all my aoes, I run to the spawns to hack them down. I'm getting 75%+ damage in combat meter on all the trash, and 60%+ on boss fights.

Options
  • FinrodMacBeorn
    FinrodMacBeorn
    ✭✭✭
    I've farmed dungeons up to now only for the golden leads of the ebon wolf (solo on normal). It dropped in DS I in the 2nd try and in DS II and Volenfell on the 1st try. On the other hand, both "kill any mobs"-leads in Bzthark and Mzulft were kind of a torture - in the latter, I've got a different purple and a golden lead before finally the targetted lead showed up.

Regarding dungeons, perhaps the drop chance is related to the rank in scrying (which would be plausible). I had reached rank 9 except for the first failed try in DS I.

On the other hand, the law of chances are not nice for such farming if the success rate is small or tiny. The number of attempts before the first success has a a rather heavy-tailed distribution which means that very long runs are more likely than human intuition expects:

With a success chance of 10%, 35% of the population will not have the lead after 10 tries, and 12% after even 20 tries, and 0.5% will even need more than 50 tries. Regarding the server population, this is quite a number of people. If the success chance is considerably smaller, then we end up in serious and for most of us intolerable grind (BSW or VMA inferno staffs ...).

My success streak in the 3 dungeons could just be attributed to luck, too. With a drop chance of 10%, getting all 3 leads in 4 attempts would have a chance of 0.36% - small but not unlikely (i.e. 3-4 people out of 1000 will be so lucky).
    Options
  • Eldartar
    Eldartar
    ✭✭✭✭
    20+ runs Darkshade Caverns 2 (grouped & solo) ................. Nothing!!!
    Options
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a hunch. It could be that drops are metered out, depending on how much progress you have made with Antiquities.

When I was leveling it up, there was an overabundance of drops. People who haven't subbed to Greymoor confirm they are getting many leads.

Now that I'm 10/10, mythic leads seem harder to come by. The difference is now that I'm a higher level, I'm not constantly running the free zone leads. Maybe you need to keep processing other leads in order to increase chance of mythic drops.

Prior to maxing the skill lines, I was already collecting mythic leads, and they were pretty easy to get.
    Options
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on 17 runs through Spindle Clutch 1 and 13 runs through Crypt of Hearts 1 with no luck yet. I agree with the above poster... group content should be a guaranteed drop. Many people are going through these places as a group for the sole purpose of getting the lead. When some members get the item and others don't while at the same time not allowing users to trade the items that drop, it's quite disruptive.
    Options
  • Roguewolf66
    Roguewolf66
    ✭✭
    I have farmed over 50 Thieve's Troves for the last part of the music box and still no lead. This is beyond ridiculous.
    Options
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Solo Spindleclutch 1, got lead on the first run. Drop rate from bosses is generally good for me, ok from mobs and chests and abysmal from nodes

Also seeing "dungeon lead drop" I immediately imagined little ZOS_Finn pet dropping from last boss
    Options
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's pure RNG. It took me 29 times killing one WB in Malabal Tor to get the last lead for ring of the wild hunt. Other 4 parts I got on the first try.

It's like buying 15 crates and getting only potion, yet someone buys one crate and gets a radiant apex mount.

In my opinion, lead drops should be guaranteed.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    Options
  • JimBobMcKrakken
    JimBobMcKrakken
    ✭✭✭
    Low drop rates for rare items is fine, but ZOS should consider a system of improving odds. Each time you complete the requirement without the drop, your odds should increase on the next completion. Otherwise the unlucky outliers are just going to get increasingly frustrated.
    "No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force." --Helmuth von Moltke the Elder.
    Options
  • Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just either ZOS being evil or them falling for confirmation bias harder than a teenager with their first crush. All of us farming the dungeons for the leads over and over again are hating it, wondering why ZOS hates us, having 0.00 fun, and just wishing the BS would be over so we can get back to things we *actually* enjoy. ZOS sees ppl doing dungeons over and over again, and high fives each other for a job well done - because what could possibly be wrong with using player interaction as the ONLY metric for judging something's success?
    Options
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only took 3 or 4 runs for each normal dungeon for me to get my leads. I had to sit at the Brass Hatchling for a good while though.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
    Options
  • navystylz_ESO
    navystylz_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Over 40 IC bosses and no Malacath ring.
    Edited by navystylz_ESO on June 15, 2020 5:18AM
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, this seems like a really low drop. I did about 8 runs of Volenfell today, and nothing. Didn't even get a useful monster helm either. And that doesn't count the the runs I've done before. And I've done both Darkshades a few times with nothing to show for it.

On the other hand, CoH dropped after about the 4th or so run (3 on one day and then it dropped the first on another day). I also managed to get Elden Hollow I after not too many runs either.

I get that the idea is not that we grind these nonstop. I know I'm supposed to play and then eventually I'll get something. The only thing is I'm trying to grind one character up to Scrying 10 so he can do the Ultimate difficulty leads since I've got about three of those in my journal that I don't want to expire. Honestly I'm not gonna care about the drop rates as much once I finish grinding that up, but I'd like high-level leads to speed that along rather than having to dig up the same green freebie hundreds of times.
    Options