The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Nerf snipe

• Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rianai wrote: »
    Fawn4287 wrote: »

Do you not realize you got hit by 5 1-second cast time abilities... The problem is in Cyrodiil the lag is so bad you have no idea you were getting hit until you were already dead. You have someone hit you with 5 dizzy swings I you will also be dead.

But Dizzy doesn't do that unlike maybe if the server is super laggy. Snipe does that regardless and it does so frequently. It is the skill that is broken. Stop defending that bs.

its not only about snipe that desync can be achieved with any ranged cast abilty. in this case snipe it is not problem..

No. Snipe itself IS the problem.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On certain server snipe is not a problem at all. However on the locked server I can see it can be with the amount of latency.

I have one question why is there always calls for nerfs on single target damage. However in this game you get AOE damage that can = or surpass it some cases. I just don't get it. SINGLE TARGET DAMAGE SHOULD HURT!!! period!
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, you are not getting those arrows back.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Mankeyyyyy
    Mankeyyyyy
    ✭✭
    Well I literally can't even pvp because I get snipe desynced 3 times an hour. If you play on xbox you can probably relate, but my only deaths in cyrodiil are to either snipe desync or keep flip load screens. But I've never seen Dswing desync anyone so I would like to see clips of that. I do remember "macro slicing" but that has been mostly fixed for a long time now.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think I’ve ever had it happen with any other ranged ability. I have had it happen with dizzy swing once or twice. Passed it off as lag because it’s so rare.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipe only seems more egregious because of how it is used.

You cannot Crystal Blast from stealth, and it doesn’t have the range. Spammables generally do so little damage that they aren’t worth spamming to hope for a desync.

Most other desyncs happen when several players roll up on you at once and ult dump. Those times you are dying either way most of the time. Further, you don’t see a single skill spammed over and over in those situations.

Being able to spam a high burst projectile skill at long range, opening from stealth, makes snipe considerably easier to recognize and target as a problem. Players are often not surrounded by others when they die which further reinforces the belief that they aren’t lagging.

Edited by Toc de Malsvi on June 1, 2020 2:46AM
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you not realize you got hit by 5 1-second cast time abilities... The problem is in Cyrodiil the lag is so bad you have no idea you were getting hit until you were already dead. You have someone hit you with 5 dizzy swings I you will also be dead.

The day I get desynced from getting hit with 5 dizzying swings without registering even 1 I will give you my account
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mankeyyyyy wrote: »
    Well I literally can't even pvp because I get snipe desynced 3 times an hour. If you play on xbox you can probably relate, but my only deaths in cyrodiil are to either snipe desync or keep flip load screens. But I've never seen Dswing desync anyone so I would like to see clips of that. I do remember "macro slicing" but that has been mostly fixed for a long time now.

Only 3 times? So the other 54 minutes it's business as usual for ya?
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you enjoy challenging gameplay in PvP and play outside of a zerg or in stealth spamming snipe you would quickly realise how overpowered and consistently the snipe exploit is abused, many videos will show you how to get off 2-3 snipes followed by a poison inject which allows all to hit at once, Im yet to see any other other ability be spammed and be turned in to a burst combo
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭

But Dizzy doesn't do that unlike maybe if the server is super laggy. Snipe does that regardless and it does so frequently. It is the skill that is broken. Stop defending that bs.

its not only about snipe that desync can be achieved with any ranged cast abilty. in this case snipe it is not problem..

No. Snipe itself IS the problem.

No it is not problem desync is the problem not snipe Even u nerf snipe by 25% You will still get insta kill via desync... also there are other Pvp ic, bg where desync is not such problem and snipe is okay..
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snipe only seems more egregious because of how it is used.

You cannot Crystal Blast from stealth, and it doesn’t have the range. Spammables generally do so little damage that they aren’t worth spamming to hope for a desync.

Most other desyncs happen when several players roll up on you at once and ult dump. Those times you are dying either way most of the time. Further, you don’t see a single skill spammed over and over in those situations.

Being able to spam a high burst projectile skill at long range, opening from stealth, makes snipe considerably easier to recognize and target as a problem. Players are often not surrounded by others when they die which further reinforces the belief that they aren’t lagging.

I agree with this nothing not only snipe should ne possible cast from stealth
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...there are other Pvp ic, bg where desync is not such problem and snipe is okay..

Duuuuuuuuuude.

Snipe is NOT OK in BGs. I'm not certain if you've just been lucky enough not to deal with snipe spammers, but they are very prevalent BGs on Xbox NA. There's pretty much at least one per full 12 person game. Luckily, only a fraction of them are good at snipe spamming, and the others have just been killed by snipes spam so many times that they are trying to copy it, but are doing it poorly.

But when you get one of the "good" snipe spammers in your lobby, you can expect at least one instance of desync. You'll be moving along, engaged in a fight or not, then suddenly you can't move, Dodge roll, or Break Free. Then, you hear the sound effect of two or three Snipes and see the arrow Trail animation appear all of a sudden but in a weird curvy line. You know what happens next, your health instantly drops from 100% to 0.

It's an obvious outlier when it comes to desyncs and has been a problem a lot longer than the worsened performance issues in Cyrodiil.

I doubt it will be a priority for ZOS, but ideally they would figure out a way to prevent snipe from desyncing. If they can't, then they should modify the skill to avoid the Desyncs. It's an exploit and very annoying as well.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you enjoy challenging gameplay in PvP and play outside of a zerg or in stealth spamming snipe you would quickly realise how overpowered and consistently the snipe exploit is abused, many videos will show you how to get off 2-3 snipes followed by a poison inject which allows all to hit at once, Im yet to see any other other ability be spammed and be turned in to a burst combo

You mean using bow abilities in a rotation with weaving?
    Oh I forgot you are only allowed to spam light attacks if you use a bow, wouldn't want to accidentally kill someone hiding behind a tree! lol
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You just described all burst combos lmao. That's the point of burst comboing, figuring out how to do as much damage as possible in as little time as possible before hots can start to heal someone. If you do not like that style of gameplay, then ESO is just not for you.

And I find playing a class cannon that can get 1 shot if you make a mistake or get caught pretty fun with it's own set of challenges. You have to dedicate your entire build to get like 3 abilities to hit hard. It's a high risk high reward playstyle, just like any class canon spec in any MMORPG on any plant within any galaxy.

Perma block, ball grouping, brawling, tanking, glass canon, hybrid, healing, etc. All valid playstyles of which we all have to chose from. if you do not like playing certain playstyles, you can certainly choose other ways to play. But you can't force anyone else to play how you want them to play. If a build counters your build, then too bad so sad. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Welcome to MMORPG PVP.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You just described all burst combos lmao. That's the point of burst comboing, figuring out how to do as much damage as possible in as little time as possible before hots can start to heal someone. If you do not like that style of gameplay, then ESO is just not for you.

And I find playing a class cannon that can get 1 shot if you make a mistake or get caught pretty fun with it's own set of challenges. You have to dedicate your entire build to get like 3 abilities to hit hard. It's a high risk high reward playstyle, just like any class canon spec in any MMORPG on any plant within any galaxy.

Perma block, ball grouping, brawling, tanking, glass canon, hybrid, healing, etc. All valid playstyles of which we all have to chose from. if you do not like playing certain playstyles, you can certainly choose other ways to play. But you can't force anyone else to play how you want them to play. If a build counters your build, then too bad so sad. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Welcome to MMORPG PVP.

2 or 3 simultaneously landing snipes is not a "burst combo." 2 snipes should land over the course of 1 second, 3 snipes should land over 2 seconds. Those time windows permit defensive reactions. When snipe desyncs, they all land at the same time. This is not by design. The game is not supposed to allow that. But snipe is buggy and people exploit that.
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snipe in prime time looks like:

casting...
    casting...
    casting...
    Target los/too far away.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

2 or 3 simultaneously landing snipes is not a "burst combo." 2 snipes should land over the course of 1 second, 3 snipes should land over 2 seconds. Those time windows permit defensive reactions. When snipe desyncs, they all land at the same time. This is not by design. The game is not supposed to allow that. But snipe is buggy and people exploit that.

No, Snipe from stealth>LA>Silver Shards would be my default combo. Sometimes you can go Snipe>Snipe>LA>Silver Shards. If they are beyond 30m then your only combo is >Snipe>Snipe>Snipe>Snipe as it has 40m range.

Your problem isn't with snipe, it is with desyncs, which is a technical issue, not a design issue. Snipe is fine.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, Snipe from stealth>LA>Silver Shards would be my default combo. Sometimes you can go Snipe>Snipe>LA>Silver Shards. If they are beyond 30m then your only combo is >Snipe>Snipe>Snipe>Snipe as it has 40m range.

Your problem isn't with snipe, it is with desyncs, which is a technical issue, not a design issue. Snipe is fine.

It's a technical issue that is around for years now. If ZOS can't / won't fix it, it might be time to finally change the skill.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »

It's a technical issue that is around for years now. If ZOS can't / won't fix it, it might be time to finally change the skill.

Nah it's fine. It's not as abusive as Dizzy/OS was during Scalebreaker. Now THAT was just silly.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »

Agreed.

Frankly, I feel that I have good reason to doubt ZOS's ability to fix the snipe desync. Because it is so easily exploited resulting in unearned kills, I believe it would be appropriate to modify the skill in a way that does not allow the desyncs to happen.

This is not a nerf request. As far as I'm concerned, they could buff the damage even. But ideally, they could change the skill in a neutral way that would prevent it from being exploited.
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    You must be one of the people using the high risk hard to connect skill called Dizzy swing and avoid using clearly over performing no risk high reward skill called Snipe out of pure honor for combat. Respect!

Dizzy spammers and snipe spammers have been in the game for awhile....as well as this dreadful performance.

Snipe is not the only desync culprit in the game, lol. :D

Just learn to die, rez, and play. :)

If you’re going to make a nerf thread then add all the offenders and follow my advice above^

smh

Die, res, play, die again...
    There, corrected it for you
    Edited by UrbanMonk on June 2, 2020 11:00AM
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a burst combo, this is exploiting a games poor performance, Any and every other gank build has been nerfed in to obscurity and made unusable, they literally nerfed both elegance and overload light attacks to stop the blob magsorc gank build because no surprise its was a buggy abuse of poor connection and not uniform travel times. Why is snipe the only skill that seems to always and forever avoid the nerf hammer? To appease and keep the zerglings happy, there always needs to be a super crutch to help them farm tier 3 rewards.
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snipe is fine, Its the cyro lag (desync) that causes snipe to look broken. Same thing goes for D Swing.
    Xbox NA - EP
    Team Rocket's Finest Support
    We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is not a burst combo, this is exploiting a games poor performance, Any and every other gank build has been nerfed in to obscurity and made unusable, they literally nerfed both elegance and overload light attacks to stop the blob magsorc gank build because no surprise its was a buggy abuse of poor connection and not uniform travel times. Why is snipe the only skill that seems to always and forever avoid the nerf hammer? To appease and keep the zerglings happy, there always needs to be a super crutch to help them farm tier 3 rewards.

Lmao snipe is one of most nerfed skill in the game. All your talking points are gone in a wind when you disregard reality like that instead of sticking to facts like yes, poor server performance does cause snipe to desync and yes if performance cannot be fixed then skills affected by it should.
    Edited by SodanTok on June 2, 2020 5:09PM
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerf? Idk, but I'd force the animation of all spammables to play without interruption. There shouldn't be such a hefty reward for spamming ONE skill anyways, especially if it results in desyncs, espeeecially if we are already suffering from performance issues.

From a healers perspective, all the buffs and heals in the world cant save the target, considering lots of players preferred method of attack is gank someone (and when their smart, its usually me). Not to mention the healing nerf... I'm on console, so the anticipation is killing me...

I'd even be down for buffing spammables, so long as you had to wait for it to complete its animation, or even better, hold and release for a scaled dmg effect.

The very name... SNIPE... implies its meant to be a calculated, precise, shot... not some spazzy spam fest. While they're at it, make it so you have to stay still to even activate, or penalize its accuracy/dmg. I've always thought snipe should be a combo opener, (high dmg to cause your target to freak out and get defensive), or a closer (finish them off AFTER you earned it, skillfully using an array of other options to get their health down first).

Recap: Don't know if it needs nerfed, but something needs to change. Performance issues only make it worse. And with the healing nerf...
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    The very name... SNIPE... implies its meant to be a calculated, precise, shot...
    Calculated, precise shot can not be dodged or blocked with a wooden stave.

Edited by Tammany on June 2, 2020 6:50PM
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tammany wrote: »
    The very name... SNIPE... implies its meant to be a calculated, precise, shot...
    Calculated, precise shot can not be dodged or blocked with a wooden stave.

I said I'd be okay with it being buffed... that could be fixing the spamming solution by making it valuable for another reason. So long as the downside matches the upside.
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nerf 'Nerf Snipe threads'
  • DTAmoral
    DTAmoral
    ✭✭✭✭
    Salix_alba wrote: »
    Nerf 'Nerf Snipe threads'

Agreed. To many people refuse to accept that its the game itself that can not keep up. Its nothing to do with the skill(s).
    Xbox NA - EP
    Team Rocket's Finest Support
    We are recruiting! Use below link for recruitment!
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/577520/team-rocket-ebonheart-pvp-guild#latest
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's literally what burst comboing is....Stringing a combination of skills that all do a *** load of damage as fast as humanly possibly.