The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Screen tilt during Excavating

• tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really really hope they fix this. It's distracting and annoying, and gives people headaches. It doesn't increase the difficulty in a meaningful way (if it's even intentional??)
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • HelixUnited
    HelixUnited
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see am not the only one getting this as i asked in my guild and they said they hadnt, but i suffer from vertigo and motion sickness so all motion blur etc has to be off but this wiggle is making me ill, i really hope it gets fixed soon please zos
  • SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    When it happened to me I thought I was under attack, but when I backed out of the dig there were no creatures in sight.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it happened to me I thought I was under attack, but when I backed out of the dig there were no creatures in sight.

That might have been the case, though. I have seen several times that I have been "in combat" briefly, but no enemies are nearby. I think there is a combat bug or that I am being detected but not attacked.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • creepyDeadBoy
    creepyDeadBoy
    Soul Shriven
    If this is a "feature", it's annoying as hell, especially when the screen gets stuck in the twisted state and you can't use half the tools or see half the dig site.

20200605004202_1.jpg?raw=1

If it's supposed to represent action happening off screen, it a pretty poor effect. The twist makes no sense. Just wobble the screen side to side something. Why rotate the view? It's idiotic.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is a "feature", it's annoying as hell, especially when the screen gets stuck in the twisted state and you can't use half the tools or see half the dig site.

If it's supposed to represent action happening off screen, it a pretty poor effect. The twist makes no sense. Just wobble the screen side to side something. Why rotate the view? It's idiotic.

That is an extreme rotation.

ZOS has not stated whether this is intended. I am going to assume that, not only is it intended, it is some favorite feature of some lead dev. If that is the case, they would sooner close down the game than change this. My guess is that the purpose is either to alert you about combat, or make the dig more challenging so you have a greater chance of messing up. Anyway, I can definitely see ZOS digging their heels in. :smile:
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is the same degree of rotation that I see, it just doesn't get stuck like that. Make sure to leave a /feedback every time this happens to you
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Is there a way that we can get an answer either way on whether this is intended or not?
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    This is not intended, no. If you run into this issue, please ensure you're using /bug in-game rather than /feedback to ensure it's being processed properly. In the meantime, if anyone has steps to reproduce the issue, or can describe what you were doing just prior to it happening, we'd appreciate the extra information!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the meantime, if anyone has steps to reproduce the issue, or can describe what you were doing just prior to it happening, we'd appreciate the extra information!
    First time I have encountered excavation screen shaking in PTS when dragon nearby changed his location:
    BrRQzJw.jpg
    There was no battle with the dragon.

Later I had the excavation screen shaking on Live:
    I used a dig site near the Windshriek Strand world boss in Malabal Tor. Somebody started fight with the world boss. First the screen was shaking (likely from the ground attacks of the troll). Then red border appeared because of harpies. Screen shaking and red border were not simultaneously.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Durnik
    Durnik
    ✭✭✭
    ImmortalCX wrote: »
    The tremors are to add another dimension.

It's kinda fun. If it shakes when you click a square, you can click the wrong one.

I honestly thought this was done by design for that reason. I see it quite often.
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    I never figured out what causes it but I get the screen rotating back and forth a few times every now and then when Excavating. It happens even when I dont see any players or enemies in the area.
  • protofeckless
    protofeckless
    ✭✭✭
    LOL I just assumed this was a mechanic to make it tougher.
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurk, it’s almost as bad as the extreme screen shaking after the last boss in Darkshade Caverns II. I have a condition that messes with my equilibrium and that sort of stuff makes me insta-dizzy. 🤢
  • JasLaguna
    JasLaguna
    Soul Shriven
    At first I saw no rhyme or reason to it, because it wasn't terribly frequent. However, at one point when I was in Eastmarch in a giant and mammoth area, the shaking suddenly went nuts, and I was pretty sure a giant must have just spawned near my digsite. Sure enough, when I finish my dig, I see two giants stomping around near me. My guess was that, at least in some of the cases, it was caused by nearby "screenshaking" walking mobs and that effect is bleeding over into the digsites. Though based on what I'm reading here, it may not be the same with all cases, or perhaps the range of being effected by the stomping is pretty far.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one has had it happen in areas near to dragons, once near to a giant and once near to a troll.

One it was so bad the whole digsite was swaying right from side to side.

If it happens again soon this one will try and film it.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two videos of the screen wobble from streaming last night:

The second time I dug up a Northpoint Founding Coin (in Rivenspire) - a blue Lead. The screen wobbles once at 00:02:09. There was another player very close to me throughout the time I was digging.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/647989931

The second time I dug up a Cracked Serpent Pendant (in Craglorn) - a blue Lead. The screen wobbles repeatedly starting at 00:02:20. I did not see other players in my immediate vicinity but certainly there were players grinding in the area.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/648030542

In each case, the entire Excavation is included in the video, from arriving at the dig site to leaving again.

I was playing on a Sorcerer with a Scamp pet active, so it's not impossible that my pet was trying to pull me into battle.

Also in both occasions, the wobble happened after I had finished digging up the main item and was looking for bonus items. It's probably just coincidence that both times, I was digging a blue lead that I'd already done to get the second piece of information for the codex.
    Edited by baratron on June 11, 2020 8:10PM
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC or console? Been running g scrying all week with this only happening with a troll or a TROLL smashing the ground outside.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For me at least it's PC, seeing as I posted before the Chapter was released on console hehe.

People have mentioned that this happens to them while others around them are fighting or something along those lines, but many of us have had it just happen randomly, regardless of whether any combat is taking place around us or not. In fact, people have had it happen even when they're at a spot where no other players or mobs are around them, which is what I've mostly experienced, so I think combat/mobs taking place while the tilt/shake happens is just coincidence, rather than the mobs/combat being the cause.

It would be nice to get acknowledgement on whether this matter is intended or is a bug regardless of what causes it, though. The way the screen moves makes it look intentional, but just because it's a smooth animation type thing and not a janky jerky choppy shaking doesn't really mean anything. If it is intended, then ZOS really needs to reconsider it, because it offers absolutely nothing to the experience while being a detriment in several ways.

Edit to add that oops, there has been acknowledgement! I don't know how I missed an entire slew of replies between my last one and the one above this, but I did haha. My bad, and I'm super thankful @ZOS_GinaBruno for the answer. I haven't done much Excavating lately, but I'll start recording when I do so I can send some info in the future.
    Edited by Arunei on June 11, 2020 9:41PM
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    baratron wrote: »
    I have two videos of the screen wobble from streaming last night:

The second time I dug up a Northpoint Founding Coin (in Rivenspire) - a blue Lead. The screen wobbles once at 00:02:09. There was another player very close to me throughout the time I was digging.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/647989931

The second time I dug up a Cracked Serpent Pendant (in Craglorn) - a blue Lead. The screen wobbles repeatedly starting at 00:02:20. I did not see other players in my immediate vicinity but certainly there were players grinding in the area.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/648030542

In each case, the entire Excavation is included in the video, from arriving at the dig site to leaving again.

I was playing on a Sorcerer with a Scamp pet active, so it's not impossible that my pet was trying to pull me into battle.

Also in both occasions, the wobble happened after I had finished digging up the main item and was looking for bonus items. It's probably just coincidence that both times, I was digging a blue lead that I'd already done to get the second piece of information for the codex.

@baratron Wait... now are you sure you aren't just seeing things? :smiley:

Honestly, I think that this is combat related. I get them rather frequently in Western Skyrim, and there are always trolls around. The mob type, not the player type.

Other strangeness happens along those lines, as well. Sometimes, I will just be in some panel, like inventory, talking to a merchant, or crafting, and I get a flash of red around the border like someone is attacking, but by the time I get out of the panel, nothing is happening. If I have sorcerer pets, Miss Flappywings is right on top of me, often between me and what I am doing. If something like this also causes the excavation to wiggle, that might make things more interesting to debug.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Elsonso
    As I've mentioned and as others have said, this can happen even when there aren't any other players or mobs in the area. If it's caused by combat, then something is going super wonky there for combat to be affecting players when it's not taking place anywhere near them.

I have, however, noticed the same thing about the screen border flashing red while in a menu, as though combat has started, only to find there aren't any enemies attacking me or in aggro range once I leave whatever menu I was in. As soon as I open my inventory or another menu or alt+tab out again, though, it starts flashing again. It doesn't happen too often but it only started after Greymoor was released, for me at least.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    @Elsonso
    As I've mentioned and as others have said, this can happen even when there aren't any other players or mobs in the area. If it's caused by combat, then something is going super wonky there for combat to be affecting players when it's not taking place anywhere near them.

I have, however, noticed the same thing about the screen border flashing red while in a menu, as though combat has started, only to find there aren't any enemies attacking me or in aggro range once I leave whatever menu I was in. As soon as I open my inventory or another menu or alt+tab out again, though, it starts flashing again. It doesn't happen too often but it only started after Greymoor was released, for me at least.

The reason I mention this is because I do think that the tilt is intended to happen, just not as much as we are seeing it. I think it is combat related because every time I can remember seeing it, some sort of mob has been nearby and they have been doing something other than just standing there drinking coffee. If there is a bug with combat that puts us into combat when we should not be, then it could impact excavation. It certainly impacts the pets.

Of course, I know nothing about how all this is designed. The only reason that I think that the tilt is intended is that software does not normally add features like this to itself at random. Someone has to program the screen to tilt, and since I cannot think of any other screens in the game do this, it makes sense that it is intentional, on some level.

• Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    @Elsonso

The reason I mention this is because I do think that the tilt is intended to happen, just not as much as we are seeing it. I think it is combat related because every time I can remember seeing it, some sort of mob has been nearby and they have been doing something other than just standing there drinking coffee. If there is a bug with combat that puts us into combat when we should not be, then it could impact excavation. It certainly impacts the pets.

Of course, I know nothing about how all this is designed. The only reason that I think that the tilt is intended is that software does not normally add features like this to itself at random. Someone has to program the screen to tilt, and since I cannot think of any other screens in the game do this, it makes sense that it is intentional, on some level.
    Yeah, like I said the way the screen moves, it feels too smooth for the tilt itself to really be a bug, but combat seems to be a coincidental thing since for some people it's happening while there's fighting going on, and for others it's happening even if no other players or mobs are around. So if it IS combat based, then maybe somehow it's picking up on combat not taking place near the player and treating it as though it is. Or maybe the range it can detect combat taking place is just REALLY BIG, so that it detects it even if nothing is around the player?

Though I suppose at this point it might not matter, since despite it looking intentional because of how smooth the tilt is, Gina responded saying it's not intended.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that the screen tilt looks too smooth to be entirely unintentional. Mu suspicion is that it's leftover from a mobile screen rotation routine, but that is not supposed to be activated in the eso code.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've encountered the screen shaking from time to time when starting to excavate. Only thing my characters were doing prior, was either running or riding to the dig site.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Elsonso

Gina confirmed above that the tilt is not intended and should be reported with the /bug feature.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    @Elsonso

Gina confirmed above that the tilt is not intended and should be reported with the /bug feature.

Huh, well good to know!
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    @Elsonso

I know what Gina said and I knew that when I said that I think it is intentional. :smile: I am not saying that she is lying, just that screen tilting is intentional in the excavation UI because someone had to put it there. I also think there is a bug in there somewhere that makes it happen either too much, or too much of a degree. I will write a /bug report when I know what to tell them.