The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Screen tilt during Excavating

Arunei
Arunei
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So there's a thing where I'll be in the Excavating UI and the screen will kind of do this wiggle. Sometimes it's barely noticeable, sometimes it's like there's an earthquake going on at the dig site or something. Sometimes it only happens once, sometimes numerous times in one dig. Anyone have ideas on what causes this? It's happened to two of my friends I've been playing with, too, and it seems to be entirely random.
Character List [RP and PvE]:
Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a troll or other large enemy nearby bashing and stomping? That will cause camera shakes.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's only been large enemies around once (Giants), and this wasn't so much a shake like when they use ground attacks than it is a sort of side to side wiggle. It's hard to explain, but it keeps happening and I'm mostly trying to figure out if it's a UI error of some kind or something that actually means anything.
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This just happened to me for at least 75% of the time I was in an excavation. It felt like the screen was twisting back and forth like an owl's head.

It's literally nauseating, and it made the excavation impossible to do while it was going on.
  • gvardi_l
    gvardi_l
    ✭✭✭
    Same for me, experienced it for like 30% of the times during excavation and scrying.
    PC potato EU
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried setting Screen Shake to 0, but the twisting still occurs.
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had it twice. It happens when an enemy is nearby. Well, that was my experience. The second time, some idiot dragged a minotaur right onto my dig site.

The screen was twisting wildly until it broke me out of the excavation and I found myself in the middle of lava eruptions. The problem was, being forcibly ejected from the dig interface seemed to disable my movement keys. I could use light and heavy attacks and look around. Skills mapped to the mouse worked but that was it. After killing the enemy I had to reloadui to move again.

I went back to the dig. It was as I'd left it but I had no more time on it, as if I'd used up my turns. I had to abandon the dig snd use the eye again. This took me to an alternative site nearby.

Two things; I wish the screen edge would go red when the tremors start. At least I'd have known what was happening. It does eventually, when you are actually under attack, just before you're kicked from the dig.
    I now kill everything nearby.,before I begin the dig. That includes those that may naturally come within range and those that may be dragged nearer by an inconsiderate fellow archeologist.
    Edited by Ryath_Waylander on May 28, 2020 4:29AM
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume it must be fun in a busy area like Artaeum with the hoards rushing around with enemy npc's in tow. I chose a quieter small zone i.e. Hews bane, Betnikh, Bal Foyen.
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tremors are to add another dimension.

It's kinda fun. If it shakes when you click a square, you can click the wrong one.
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is interesting for sure. Once you know what's causing it, seeing as the enemy is not always near enough to engage while it still wobbles your screen ;)
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    This just happened to me for at least 75% of the time I was in an excavation. It felt like the screen was twisting back and forth like an owl's head.

It's literally nauseating, and it made the excavation impossible to do while it was going on.
    There are some times when it twists so bad it practically spins like 45 degrees or so, and it's super disorienting and can throw off a dig when you accidentally click a square you didn't mean to because suddenly the screen is wildly flailing around. I don't understand why sometimes it's that aggressive x__x.

@Ryath_Waylander
    I've had it happen when there were no enemies or other players around me. I've also had that movement bug where when you get knocked out of Excavating because of combat you can't move, I have a thread on it in the Bugs board. Would be worth it to put in a ticket for it too.
    ImmortalCX wrote: »
    The tremors are to add another dimension.

It's kinda fun. If it shakes when you click a square, you can click the wrong one.
    We might have different definitions of fun haha. It's disorienting to me and gives me a headache if it shakes too much, because sometimes it'll shake four or five times in a row, and there's definitely that risk of messing up a dig because of an untimely shake.

@ZOS_GinaBruno I know you're getting a lot of pings lately but this can interfere a LOT with Excavating, and it can really mess with people in terms of headaches, nausea, etc.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to know why it happens. It's obviously part of the game design, but I can't identify the trigger. I thought it was mob presence but I tested that with a buddy and it happens independent of that.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the screen shake a little a few times, but only got the big twisting motion once, and that was near a dolmen that went active the moment I got to the dig site, so I'm just guessing it was related to things dropping out of the sky.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After going in again, it looks like it is caused by another nearby player in combat. It gets extreme but only breaks you out if you are hit. I agree with you about the motion @Arunei It doesn't make me nauseous but I can definitely see how the twisting effect could do that to some.

I understand that they are trying an analogy with disturbances on a real dig site but I feel a vertical screen vibration, with no twisting or side to side component would be less uncomfortable. They could also possibly have a much smaller vibration or orange screen edges (seeing as you aren't actually in combat yet) but perhaps increasingly negating your mouse clicks and wasting turns instead of wobbling the screen.
  • ahrimar
    ahrimar
    ✭✭✭
    just a bug i think
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It happens when the game thinks your phone screen is moving.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It happens when the game thinks your phone screen is moving.

^^^
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time this happened, I thought I had taken too much Skooma, then I realized my character had.

What is really fun is when the screen gets stuck tilted. You know it is eventually going to go back, but do you wait it out or try to push through it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought it was when you got close to damaging the underlying artifact like when using the Shovel.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this a few times too. Once it was a dragon that landed nearby. A few times it was the troll world boss too close to the dig site. I've wrote about it here.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    The first time this happened, I thought I had taken too much Skooma, then I realized my character had.

What is really fun is when the screen gets stuck tilted. You know it is eventually going to go back, but do you wait it out or try to push through it.
    I haven't had that happen yet but it sounds horrible.
    Nestor wrote: »
    I always thought it was when you got close to damaging the underlying artifact like when using the Shovel.
    Nope, I've had to happen numerous times when I haven't even actually started digging, or when there's been numerous layers of dirt still. On the flip side, it's never happened reliably when I'm only one or two layers of dirt away from an antiq. It happens completely at random and at different degrees of intensity. I wish that was the explanation though because then at least we'd know what causes it.

@ZOS_GinaBruno We're still wondering what causes this, whether it's intentional or a bug. I hope it's the latter considering how intrusive and literally nauseating it can be.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    I got this a few times too. Once it was a dragon that landed nearby. A few times it was the troll world boss too close to the dig site. I've wrote about it here.
    I've made a thread in the Bugs board myself about being locked out of movement if you get attacked while doing an Excavation. A UI reload fixed that for me when it happened, but it's ridiculous something like that made it to live.

As for the screen shake/tilt, I've never noticed it to happen because of combat happening near me. I thought at first that could be the case and backed out of the Excavation to look around a few times l, but no one was around me and definitely no fighting except for one time some Giants were near the site I was at.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    As for the screen shake/tilt, I've never noticed it to happen because of combat happening near me. I thought at first that could be the case and backed out of the Excavation to look around a few times l, but no one was around me and definitely no fighting except for one time some Giants were near the site I was at.
    It seems that sometimes it is combat, sometimes it is not. It was definitely not combat in case of the dragon, it was on PTS and there was no fight. Dragon just changed its land site and shook the ground while landing. Likely any ground shaking effects (from dragons, giants, trolls) will shake the excavation screen.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    It seems that sometimes it is combat, sometimes it is not. It was definitely not combat in case of the dragon, it was on PTS and there was no fight. Dragon just changed its land site and shook the ground while landing. Likely any ground shaking effects (from dragons, giants, trolls) will shake the excavation screen.
    I know someone else suggested this, and it could be one trigger, but I've had it happen several times when there aren't any mobs or players near me, especially not ones that have an animation that has a screen shake effect.

It hasn't happened as much recently but I'm also not doing Antiq stuff as much the past few days. Level 8 and already getting burned out (idk how these people grinding it in one or two days have the will to do it x3).

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always assumed it happened when a player working at the same dig site but in another instance blew up their antiquity 🙂

I mean, assuming Tamriel is part of the Multiverse, there are all sorts of Tamriels existing simultaneously. That’s how I justify it in my mind when I have more than one character do the same quest 😆
    Edited by Elvenheart on June 2, 2020 5:04PM
  • ChillsSilvertail
    ChillsSilvertail
    ✭✭✭
    After patch this is still happening. Stil nauseating too
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From the lack of feedback to the players, we can deduce the following:

1) They know about the problem, a fix is in the works, we will see it when we see it.
    2) They know about the problem, they would like to do a fix but it won't happen in our lifetime
    3) They know about it, it is intentional, and (like #2) it will be in the game until the last days of the game.

:smile:

• Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1) They know about the problem, a fix is in the works, we will see it when we see it.
    2) They know about the problem, they would like to do a fix but it won't happen in our lifetime
    3) They know about it, it is intentional, and (like #2) it will be in the game until the last days of the game.

We can also deduce that they probably won't ever acknowledge it one way or the other, unless it's snuck into some patch notes in the future if it turns out it is a bug. Sure love how they've increased that communication like they admitted to needing to do years ago -__-.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We can also deduce that they probably won't ever acknowledge it one way or the other, unless it's snuck into some patch notes in the future if it turns out it is a bug. Sure love how they've increased that communication like they admitted to needing to do years ago -__-.

Yes. We can deduce that water is wet. Look, if they are going to fix it, it will be in some patch notes somewhere, and so they don't really need to mention it. The patch notes will be the announcement. If it is intentional, well, that is the way the game works, and we should expect the game to work the way the game works, so no need to mention it. If it is a bug, but they don't see a fix coming any time soon, telling us would be pointless, since they have no further information.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes. We can deduce that water is wet. Look, if they are going to fix it, it will be in some patch notes somewhere, and so they don't really need to mention it. The patch notes will be the announcement. If it is intentional, well, that is the way the game works, and we should expect the game to work the way the game works, so no need to mention it. If it is a bug, but they don't see a fix coming any time soon, telling us would be pointless, since they have no further information.
    Except this is the very thing people are frustrated and tried of, of not knowing one way or another. What's the point of mentioning anything that might be a bug if we aren't going to be told one way or another? What's the point of giving feedback if it clearly isn't going to be taken into account? I don't think it's unreasonable for simple questions like these to be given a quick answer one way or the other, just so people know what's going on. If we know it's a bug we know that it'll be fixed and there's not much else to do other than wait to be fixed. If it's intended, we know to give feedback on it. It's not pointless to tell us what we should or shouldn't expect.

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just happened to me too. It was very weird, I'd finished the excavation and the note about what I'd found had just appeared when the entire screen tilted sideways and then went back to normal.

There didn't seem to be any reason for it, that didn't happen with any of the other excavations I've done (this one was a Secession Stamp Block, in Stormhaven), I wasn't being attacked and it didn't seem to mean anything, it was just a weird and seemingly random effect.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"