The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

My concern as a solo Magplar player with healing being reduced

StarOfElyon
StarOfElyon
✭✭✭✭✭
With healing being reduced by 60% now, I'm trying to figure out how I'll adjust seeing as I was always running a very squishy build and relying on healing through damage. I do play both PVE and PVP but I'm more concerned on the PVP side.

Some players are tanky enough to endure a lot of damage but my build has never been. I've never been able to make much use of damage shields because my max magicka wasn't high enough to get a good shield and the Templar shield scales off of max health. I used two one-piece monster sets to help (1 Pirate Skeleton + 1 Lord Warden), but those are being nerfed in the next patch. Now I will be even more reliant on my ability to heal through damage. In preparation, I've completely dropped the defensive monster set pieces and I'm going to try to increase my healing power. I'm sitting at around 1600 in resistance now.

With healing being reduced by 60% under Battle Spirit, it feels like my one strong area as a Magplar is being crippled. I'm not against reducing healing overall but the Templar identity was pretty much healing. Puncturing Sweeps, the magicka morph, heals as it's secondary effect but it was already being countered by Major Evasion - with the reduced healing it's going to be even more dangerous for ME to use this skill in melee range against someone spamming Dizzy Swing or using the 2H ultimates. That doesn't sound like it'll be worth the risk at all.

Groups are still going to have players healing each other, it's just going to be the solo players that suffer and solo Magplars that suffer even more because healing was our strong suit. I'm going to need some help here, I'm afraid. Either cut Templar healing some slack before the nerfs take effect or maybe give us a class shield (Radiant Ward) that scales off of magicka (because that would be more useful than the Light Armor shield to mitigate damage, in my opinion). We're already slow as hell. Without great healing, what do Magplars have left?
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can use streak or cloak
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah magplars offensive window will be insanely small next patch
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of the strongest healing passives, several strong heals and plenty of heals over time tied to abilities that also have other benefits and a spammable that heals you.

You as a Templar will have it much better where others will struggle gravely. Do not worry about yourself in comparison to others. If there is a class that will be fine, it will (could we say 'as always'?) be Templar.
    Edited by Dracane on May 15, 2020 1:22AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slot more heals. My mDK is using 4 now. But I'm only there for the 25k ap as the performance is horrendous.
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Slot more heals. My mDK is using 4 now. But I'm only there for the 25k ap as the performance is horrendous.

Got rank 1 rewards on 12 characters ,easily the worst lag experience of my life. I'm glad I don't have to touch it for another month.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »

On any given night, I may be slotting on my backbar (powered restoration staff): channeled focus, ritual of retribution, honor the dead, regeneration, and illustrious healing.

Sometimes, I'll swap out IH for Siphon Spirit or Living Dark. That's three hots that I have to keep in rotation. If healing gets nerfed... I'm going to have a rough time.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Many of the strongest healing passives, several strong heals and plenty of heals over time tied to abilities that also have other benefits and a spammable that heals you.

You as a Templar will have it much better where others will struggle gravely. Do not worry about yourself in comparison to others. If there is a class that will be fine, it will (could we say 'as always'?) be Templar.

Id argue that magsorc is going to be much more "fine" next patch.

Shields arent affected by the nerf, and matriarch heal is already pretty massive. Also you will still be able to streak to safety to recover easily.

Also Templar will be fine? Magplar for sure, theyre very strong, but Stamplar already has some of the lowest heals among all stam classes, also most stamplars heavily relied on bloodspawn and brp dual wield, and both of those are losing a lot of defensive power.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I'm saying is, one justification for Magplars not having better burst and mobility is that we have heals but that's getting nerfed. Feels like "fine" is too generous. I'm hoping to be proven wrong but this looks like the end of my little glass-cannon/heal-focused build.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars will be the bottom class for any role other than a healer. I have been asking for years to get a complete class rehaul.
  • shrekt4303
    shrekt4303
    ✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

Shields arent affected by the nerf, and matriarch heal is already pretty massive. Also you will still be able to streak to safety to recover easily.

Also Templar will be fine? Magplar for sure, theyre very strong, but Stamplar already has some of the lowest heals among all stam classes, also most stamplars heavily relied on bloodspawn and brp dual wield, and both of those are losing a lot of defensive power.

I perform fine with a bow backbar. Stamplar is going to be fine next patch. Magplar is going to be strong if they go vamp. Alot of vamp skills synergize with magplar and healing helps offset the bad parts of being a vamp. Elusive mist and going invisible is gonna be how they survive rather than trying to out heal everything.

Hypnosis and exhilarating drain will be strong. Frenzy into a crescent sweep. I can see vamplars having crescent sweep up for every engagement.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess that's going to be ZOS's answer again - just go vamp. I've spoken many times about how much I hate Templar reliance on being a vampire. I'm going to just try my best to heal through the damage as a mortal magplar. I'm disappointed because the 10% more block mitigation with sacred ground was a nice step forward but reduced healing is a major step back.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Magsorc will be strong next patch for sure.

With healing getting a 60% overall reduction shields should get the same reduction since it is a heal in reverse.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar is not more effected compared to other classes in a major way. This is not a Templar exclusive thing.
    Just change your (Pirate Skeleton + 1 Lord Warden) setup to Malubeth, problem solved.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

Magsorc will be strong next patch for sure.

With healing getting a 60% overall reduction shields should get the same reduction since it is a heal in reverse.

Sorcerers need to heal as well though. Shields are pretty pathetic and those that rely on surge, will have a very bad time.
    Matriarch is stupid and I think everyone hates it, even the ones who give up to 2 slots for it.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess that's going to be ZOS's answer again - just go vamp. I've spoken many times about how much I hate Templar reliance on being a vampire. I'm going to just try my best to heal through the damage as a mortal magplar. I'm disappointed because the 10% more block mitigation with sacred ground was a nice step forward but reduced healing is a major step back.

Hopefully you've been reading about the other changes on PTS, @StarOfElyon?

ZOS gutted the current vampire passive "Supernatural Recovery" for some new situational passives. So, being a support role on a templar with vampire is not going to be viable anymore on the vast majority of characters ... due to the cost increase penalty for regular skills.

On the plus side, ZOS boosted crit resist by 1,350 across the board for every character in the game. If you were running any impen gear, you may be able to replace one or more pieces with another trait (or adjust your impen allowance in the Steed Constellation for CP PvP).

Edited by Taleof2Cities on May 15, 2020 3:15PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully you've been reading about the other changes on PTS, @StarOfElyon?

ZOS gutted the current vampire passive "Supernatural Recovery" for some new situational passives. So, being a support role on a templar with vampire is not going to be viable anymore on the vast majority of characters ... due to the cost increase penalty for regular skills.

On the plus side, ZOS boosted crit resist by 1,350 across the board for every character in the game. If you were running any impen gear, you may be able to replace one or more pieces with another trait (or adjust your impen allowance in the Steed Constellation for CP PvP).

I've already crafted a few set pieces with what I think I might try when the changes come.
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the heal nerf will do the opposite of what everyone wanted, killing the tank meta. Atleast in cyro the average skilled player who seriously playing pvp will be even more spec into tankiness. Dying and playing horse simulator is not as fun as doing less dmg but be the last man standing.

I also can hear the " nerf magsorc" screams in the future now.
    Edited by Mortiis13 on May 18, 2020 5:55PM
  • Dirt_Rooster
    Dirt_Rooster
    ✭✭✭
    2h magplar will likely become more of the norm. Having a huge amount of spell damage with easy access right on the front bar already keeps damage uptime really high by simply having to cast a single breath of life without swapping weapons or block casting back to full.

Another thought I've been having luck with is relying more on health recovery. Since sugar skulls gives a lot, and amber plasm will now grant it as well, it's really a viable choice for a lot of people now.
    Edited by Dirt_Rooster on May 18, 2020 9:58PM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Id argue that magplar is going to be much more "fine" next patch

Shields are affected by resistance and all resistance a monster sets are nerfed, matriach is duable bar for heal which is appropriate for a still that takes 2 slot to use. Templar has healing modifiers that support all types of healing while magsorc has 0 healing modifiers.

Also stamsorc have lowerst heals along with stamblade of all stamclasses, also most stansorcs rely heavily on troll king/bloodspawn and brp daul wield, and all of thise are losing a lot of and healing defensive power. Stamplar can have higher weapon dmg than a stamsorc due to their 6% weapon damage incrase and they still have class healing modifiers while stamsorc have 0 class healing modifiers.
  • D3N7157
    D3N7157
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sheeesh just make a nord stamplar...
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing has been due for a nerf since they buffed dots and heals a few patches ago, and then they walked back the dot change without touching heals.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TBois wrote: »
    Healing has been due for a nerf since they buffed dots and heals a few patches ago, and then they walked back the dot change without touching heals.

Only a few heals got buffed, not all of them. In fact, when was the last time Breath of Life or Honor the Dead was buffed again? All I remember are nerfs.

Here's an example of how much nerfing templar heals have received over the years:

One Tamriel Honor the Dead max was around 45-50K depending on the target, now with the same exact build you can't even breach 16k reliably and have to play with ZOS' crappy additive-multiplicative systems, which by the way is one of the true sources of imbalance in the game.

When they push nerfs like the heal changes in PvP out, they forget that because of how THEY made the game's math whenever you lose power you can also gain it back and then some thanks to other misguided changes and the addition of OP sets and possibility of mathematically superior setups every patch.

That's why the conclusion I have reached is that they will not be nerfing anyone for long.

Oops, almost revealed how to overcome this nerf. Better keep my mouth shut for a week. :D

• JWillCHS
    JWillCHS
    ✭✭✭
    Magplar is going to do great! Vamp or not. I think I spent more time on the PTS than actually playing live.

One thing you need to understand first and foremost is that a lot of people are switching things up.

Crit based builds are going to work very well for both your damage and burst healing. I say this because people are going to not only sacrifice Impen but they'll fall for the idea that everyone will run Malacath's Ring of Brutality.

You can build for Spell Penetration too. You have Stuhn's Favor that has a synergy with Toppling Charge. You could stack that with Elemental Drain, CP, the Sharpen trait, the light armor pen passive, and Spinner's Garment.

Percentage base damage mitigation might work too. A good one is Buffer of the Swift and even the Psjic Order ulti. There is also Potentates too and back barring Death Wind. Nord is still a really good option for Magplar in PvP especially if you did a 1‐1 Lord Warden/Pirate's Skeleton. Hell, you could run a 4 piece Fortified Brass or Buffer of the Swift with Nord and have an extra slot for an Arena weapon or another 1 piece Monster set.

Speaking of Monster sets and healing. If you are looking for healing, Malubeth is going to be nice!!! Chokethorn too and Earthgore is going to get attention as well. They all had changes that increase your chances to be healed by them.

And! That mythic ring that increases your speed works so well with RAT and Elusive Mist. You'll have some serious mobility(which I've always wanted) to help you reset outnumbered fights.

Elusive Mist, eh? Vampirism has a really good synergy with the Magplar's toolkit which most Templars will mitigate the cost increase regardless of the stage. While people are complaining about Vampires having a magicka melee ability and no gap closer; you already have those things and you now have new alternatives! And you have a class toolkit built for close range encounters.

You'll have a lot of versatility when building upon you character sheet. It's not even funny.
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all the classes to argue that healing changes will hurt them , sorry to say, I'd put templars last on the list. They have so much more than most others going on in that department. If anything, it will probably help templars as they will still retain good healing while other classes that had few options to begin with will end up in a significantly worse spot.
  • Fruity_Ninja
    Fruity_Ninja
    ✭✭✭
    Magplar complaining about lack of healing? Try being a class with bad healing, they'll find it even tougher!
  • ApostateHobo
    ApostateHobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar complaining about lack of healing? Try being a class with bad healing, they'll find it even tougher!

*cries in magblade*
  • Tolino
    Tolino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JWillCHS wrote: »
    Magplar is going to do great! Vamp or not. I think I spent more time on the PTS than actually playing live.

One thing you need to understand first and foremost is that a lot of people are switching things up.

Crit based builds are going to work very well for both your damage and burst healing. I say this because people are going to not only sacrifice Impen but they'll fall for the idea that everyone will run Malacath's Ring of Brutality.

No...
    They are only great on the PTS because the Baseline-Critresis didn't work => 20% more dmg whit crit

Magsorc: Tôlino (Wardless)
    Magden: Wa-Uller
    Stamsorc: Tolino Sturmfalke
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: Yeah, it's been a really rough go. ^^;

I'm trying to stick with what worked for me before but I feel more pressured to go heavy armor and Pariah or some other tank set. The HOTs that I used to stack are all but worthless now. I think thIs patch is a bit pigeon-holing. Either you use certain gear or you don't stand a chance.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: Yeah, it's been a really rough go. ^^;

I'm trying to stick with what worked for me before but I feel more pressured to go heavy armor and Pariah or some other tank set. The HOTs that I used to stack are all but worthless now. I think thIs patch is a bit pigeon-holing. Either you use certain gear or you don't stand a chance.

Magplar as a solo spec, especially in nocp is unplayable. You can do fine in 1v1 and maybe a 1v2-3 if your opponents are really bad. But once you're outnumbered you're done for. Reading through the comments of this post seeing people saying magplar would be the least affected by the healing changes are just laughable. Magplar is a 1v1 and/or group class now, just like every other magicka based class except magsorc which is one of the kings of this patch.

This is purely made from a nocp perspective btw. Haven't played CP as of this patch yet, but with how ridiculous nocp is atm with all the overperforming magsorcs, numerous procsets and malacath (ab)users, CP looks like the more balanced PvP mode atm.
    Edited by Qbiken on July 2, 2020 10:54PM
  • DT-ARR
    DT-ARR
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who mains a magicka nightblade... my heart sarcastically weeps for you.