The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is Blood Lord's Embrace so weak and doesn't benefit vampires? At all.

Noxavian
Noxavian
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
885bs9ww75sf.png

Read the description of this 'mythic' level item. After reading that, you would not expect it to have the effect it presently does. Now hear me out, I don't think getting 600 magicka back when blocking attacks is that strong in the slightest nor does it display the 'vampires dark power'. Furthermore, WHY ON EARTH is a mythic chest plate called 'bloodlord's embrace' and all it does is give magicka back when blocking a target you have bashed? Like what? Where's the creative design here??? Why does a vampire-themed MYTHIC LEVEL item have stamina enchants...? Why doesn't it give magicka or spellpower? You know, something that would actually help vampires.

As for the block thing, does anyone else think this effect is UBER useless and utterly boring?

You're telling me for a vampire-themed mythic item all the design team could come up with is 'giving magicka back when blocking a bloodcursed target hehe hurhur' and it isn't even a substantial amount of magicka?

I can literally name 10 different, mythic-level vampire themed effects off of the top of my head:

1. Could interact with vampire abilities/the transformation in someway. Either giving them more spellpower, or heck even additional effects. This is a mythic level item.
2. Could go a different route, what if attacks had a chance to summon a swarm of bats around your target to damage them?
3. What if when blocking you turn into a swarm of bats and move very slow, but deal AoE damage around you and heal for the damage dealt?
4. Could have a chance at summoning a gargoyle when landing a crit. You heal for the damage dealt by said gargoyle.
5. Could turn your block into a 'blood ward', a spell that absorbs enemy spells and restores magicka and health when blocked based upon a percentage of that spells damage and mana cost.
6. Could have a chance when struck to lash out at all nearby enemies with blood tethers that drain HP over time.
7. Could replace the bash attack with a small life-drain that comes from the center of the chest that doesnt require a channel time and interrupts (like a bash) and restores a bit of HP over time.
8. What if the block attack just summoned a swarm of bats around you to damage enemies and you restore magicka based upon how many enemies are hit?
9. What if it made your bash attack a medium ranged bat swarm or shadow teleport that interrupts enemies and puts you right behind them?
10. What if your bash attack was replaced by the ability to charge up a blood magic sphere that got bigger and bigger the longer you held it, up to a max of some point, and then once you released it traveled towards an area and did AoE damage based upon how long it was held down? Could cost Magicka or HP, and restore either or both.
  • Nova_J
    Nova_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol that is a pitiful looking set no lie.
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nova_J wrote: »
    Lol that is a pitiful looking set no lie.

I know right!!!

Like oh yeah man, Im going to give up literally anything else to restore 600 mana on blocking attacks! Woooooo.

So vampire, much wow.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would guess that the enchant is likely random. You just happened to find it with stamina.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    I would guess that the enchant is likely random. You just happened to find it with stamina.

Hope so! But still though, even then the effect is absolutely trash?

I genuinely do not see this being good in anyway. Most people naturally regen more than 600 magicka....
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That set screams "Magicka Tank". I know my mag tank will enjoy using it a lot but for a set involving blood curses and vampiric smithing you'd think think it'd siphon health or something.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    That set screams "Magicka Tank". I know my mag tank will enjoy using it a lot but for a set involving blood curses and vampiric smithing you'd think think it'd siphon health or something.

Would he though? It is only 600 magicka per attack blocked by a target with blood curse. Only *one* enemy can have blood curse at a time. I don't know if 600 magicka per attack would even be worth removing a 5 pc or monster helm set effect for, right?

But yeah, for a set involving blood curses, vampiric smithing, dark magic, you'd think it'd do literally anything else.
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are so narrowminded. Sorry not sorry.

That's perma-block with an Ice staff.
    That's going to enable offensive Magic tanks, like Saptanking.
    That's going to supply PvE tanks with WAY more magicka to fuel their heals and utility abilities.

That's DK tanks being able to use more chains, more Dragon Bloods, more Earthen Heart abilities to restore stam...
    NB tanks being to use Sap Essence, Cloak, etc. more...
    Warden tanks being to use more Polar Winds, Crystallized Shields, Ice Gates...
    The list goes on and on.

Yeah, it's worthless. -_-
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

That was my first thought as well. They've been pushing for magicka tanks hard ever since the Morrowind expansion, and this item seems to be an extension of that desire.

I already run a magicka heavy tank. With this, I just might be tempted to fully commit.
    Edited by Glurin on April 30, 2020 5:21AM
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Paradisius
    Paradisius
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is very centered around magicka tanking against one enemy, whether or not its worth breaking a monster or 5pc set is up to the theory crafters for that type of play. Personally speaking, I would have loved to have this piece compliment vampiric abilities, mainly pointing to Vampiric Drain to boost its effectiveness (As it stands, Ive tried various builds and just cant find a justified use for this as its primary use is now a heal, and I have many better sources of such healing) Increase the damage and increase the health gained to %30~ and vampiric drain would be something I could look to using more when paired with this piece
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's going to supply PvE tanks with WAY more magicka to fuel their heals and utility abilities.

That's DK tanks being able to use more chains, more Dragon Bloods, more Earthen Heart abilities to restore stam...
    The list goes on and on.

It is 600 magicka per attack blocked by 1 target.

Slow your roll there bud, it isn't good.

You're right though! It IS worthless!
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Noxavian wrote: »

The list goes on and on.

And as a tank you're constantly blocking attacks, so in theory this is upwards of an extra 1370 magicka regen. Obviously in practice it's going to be less, but, well, there you have it. Just gotta ask yourself if it's worth breaking up another set for.
  • Opalblade
    Opalblade
    ✭✭✭

The list goes on and on.

I agree with this. It could also make stages beyond 1 actually useable for vampire mag tanks, with the mag from blocking helping to counteract vampire's block cost increase. That's what I plan on using it for, at least.
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Opalblade wrote: »

The list goes on and on.

I agree with this. It could also make stages beyond 1 actually useable for vampire mag tanks, with the mag from blocking helping to counteract vampire's block cost increase. That's what I plan on using it for, at least.

Vampires don't have a block increase though? Unless I missed something.
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »

The list goes on and on.

And as a tank you're constantly blocking attacks, so in theory this is upwards of an extra 1370 magicka regen. Obviously in practice it's going to be less, but, well, there you have it. Just gotta ask yourself if it's worth breaking up another set for.

Are you though? It works on 1 target at once and since attack speed isn't a stat, I don't know of many bosses that attack fast and most bosses typically dont attack every second.

And 1370 extra magicka regen on a *mythic* level item?

Idk man, I'm just not seeing it I guess. I genuinely don't see how this outweighs a 5 piece bonus.

And what are you going to do, sit there and block the entire time while you wait for your magicka to refill? You get nothing from this set unless you literally sit there and hold block. And even then, all you get is 600 magicka *per* attack blocked.
    Edited by Noxavian on April 30, 2020 8:19AM
  • Charon_on_Vacation
    Charon_on_Vacation
    ✭✭✭✭

The list goes on and on.

vampires 20% cost increase for non-vampire abilities does count for everything. block, dodge, break free, etc.
    at least thats what players on the pts said, haven't tested it myself.
    Edited by Charon_on_Vacation on April 30, 2020 8:40AM
  • Noxavian
    Noxavian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The list goes on and on.

vampires 20% cost increase for non-vampire abilities does count for everything. block, dodge, break free, etc.

I don't think it works like that. Never seen anyone say that ever. And I've been scoping basically all threads talking about the rework like the plague and Im sure someone would of complained about that by now?

Dodging, blocking, break free are not abilities I am afraid.

Unless they are, which is utterly stupid.
  • Charon_on_Vacation
    Charon_on_Vacation
    ✭✭✭✭

The list goes on and on.

I don't think it works like that. Never seen anyone say that ever. And I've been scoping basically all threads talking about the rework like the plague and Im sure someone would of complained about that by now?

i've heard it from players and read it in more than one thread here.
    thats the reason why opalblade was mentioning it.
    i guess its just like new moon acolyte which reportedly does increase the cost of abilites by 5%, including block, dodge and break free.
    but as i said, can't confirm myself. pts not installed.
    Edited by Charon_on_Vacation on April 30, 2020 9:18AM
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The list goes on and on.

I heard that too, and also read it in some post. Supposedly vamp increase the cost of every "action".
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The list goes on and on.

I though that too. But in my opinion it could be fine if it return Stamina and HP as well. So 600 Stamina, Magicka and HP on attack blocked, that way it could be kinda useful to maintain resources against Bosses...
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that as well, but haven't come across conclusive proof. Nor have I seen anything that says it's intentional if the cost increase is affecting block. Seems like a bad idea if it is intentional, which considering the backlash they're getting for the cost increase in general, that would make it a bad idea on top of a bad idea.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh with sustain and armor monster sets nerfed very heavily, this seems to me like a very good 1-p set for PvE tanks. The magicka sustain it gives allows you to use your magicka skills without needing to fall back on Balance/Spell Sym freeing space on your bar for potentially another buff skill.

Apart from the obvious minimum requirements of keeping taunt and staying alive, good tanks also have their own rotation which is essentially keeping max up-time on buffs and synergies for the group. Those tend to be very magicka-intensive. That's either generic skills like Blockade, Inner Rage, Energy Orb etc... or class-based ones like Talons, Chains, Totems, Boneyards, Ice Fortress, Leeching Vines etc. etc.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Baraber
    Baraber
    ✭✭✭
    If this set would have restored stamina i could find some use for it on a tank, it would even make it really decent and in high demand.
    But magicka?
    Pfff
  • TheSeraphim
    TheSeraphim
    ✭✭✭
    For a community that constantly gives ZOS *** for not doing a good job with "play as you want" they sure constantly give ZOS *** whenever they try and throw a bone.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Baraber wrote: »
    If this set would have restored stamina i could find some use for it on a tank, it would even make it really decent and in high demand.
    But magicka?
    Pfff

Quite frankly, if your stamina sustain (as opposed to magicka sustain) is an issue on your tank then you're just not set up right or you're doing something wrong. Like trying to tank too many mobs that aren't meant to be tanked or not weaving some S&B heavy attacks during the windows when bosses do no damage to you (every boss has those).

You have a ton of skills and class/weapon/cp passives to help you keep up block and taunt indefinitely as is. It really, really shouldn't be a problem.
    Edited by Maulkin on April 30, 2020 12:09PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • frozzzen101
    frozzzen101
    ✭✭✭✭
    Item is quite decent - that mag restore is mental. People don't remember that tanks used to use 2 x 129 magrecovery monster sets. However in 4 man you use symphony anyway, and in 12 man you use what your raid leader tells you to. So it won't see much use if any at all.
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭
    Effect should be different, I dont think 2160 stam for 685 magicka is worth anything...
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, the set doesn't look great, but combined with the name/lore description it makes no sense.

They should change that info and make the set a little stronger. Then maybe add a different piece to use that name and lore later. (or the opposite, change the set entirely for now, but then use those similar stats on a new piece later with a different name/description)
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Baraber
    Baraber
    ✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    Baraber wrote: »
    But magicka?
    Pfff

Quite frankly, if your stamina sustain (as opposed to magicka sustain) is an issue on your tank then you're just not set up right or you're doing something wrong. Like trying to tank too many mobs that aren't meant to be tanked or not weaving some S&B heavy attacks during the windows when bosses do no damage to you (every boss has those).

You have a ton of skills and class/weapon/cp passives to help you keep up block and taunt indefinitely as is. It really, really shouldn't be a problem.

1. Not all tanks are DKs, stamina sustain is indeed manageable but it's not always easy, some beginners may find it useful.
    2. In any case, i was not referring to pve tanking at all, nobody will use this set anyway as it makes you drop alkosh/yolna/ebon/monster etc, besides, as you said, pve tanks are suppose to manage themselves, and the good ones do it with ease as everything in pve is predictable. (cleared all HM's in game as a nightblade tank btw).
    3. In pvp however, sources of stamina sustain while blocking might be a thing to be desired in certain builds, but after the bash damage nerf i'm not so sure anymore, (maybe necro permablock health stacking tank with harbinger and bone Goliath ulti? Who knows...).
    4. In any case we can all agree that a wierd magicka sustain item that is tied to block (?) and requires you to actively manage it with bash (???) is NOT worth losing any 5 pc bonus over...
    But on second thought... The tanking monster sets in this patch got Nerfed so hard that one might consider losing the monster set 2 pc and replace it with this peculiar item.
    Omg maybe the nerf was intended!
    *pulls tinfoil hat*
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is a tanking set... People that don't see it's value haven't tanked very much content.

Playing since beta...
  • Baraber
    Baraber
    ✭✭✭
    Item is quite decent - that mag restore is mental. People don't remember that tanks used to use 2 x 129 magrecovery monster sets. However in 4 man you use symphony anyway, and in 12 man you use what your raid leader tells you to. So it won't see much use if any at all.

Symphony, stonekeeper, engine guardian, sentinel, all of the tanking sets and all of the support sets linked to sustain and tankiness got butchered!
    Maybe it was all for this mythic item to become viable?
    *tinfoil hatting intensifies*