The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

This lag in Cyrodil is totally inexcusable in 2020 for a successful game of 6 years.

Selminus
Selminus
✭✭✭✭
My Templar is literally trapped in Cyrodil. Everything was fine and in some big fights at first, no issue. Then zergs meet head to head and not only does time stop but I get kicked to login and if I try to log back on the character, it says I have no internet connection. This is legit like Shadowbane 15+ years ago and there is no excuse for it this late in the game. You've had the time and money to address this for years. Stop making excuses or looking for cheap fixes and spend it. The sentiment in zone and guild chats? The same. "Unplayable" is the most common word. I'm shocked that this is where you guys are right now considering the rest of the game. Unbelievable.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact is the game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, with a better engine and everything in order to achieve the results you want from it. The game has gotten so incredibly complex since 2014 to where the Devs initial design can't keep up anymore.

You won't be satisfied unless you're given an Elder Scrolls: Online 2.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ArchMikem thats exactly what needs to be done. I for one wouldnt mind if the combat team took Cyrodiil (or the whole game offline) for a few months to fix the horrendous state it is in. If that means a whole new engine so be it.
    Edited by khajiitNPC on April 26, 2020 7:47PM
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Successful game doesn't need excuses B)
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grey host doesn't work. I was just there for the first time in a while. Holy cow.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    The fact is the game needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, with a better engine and everything in order to achieve the results you want from it. The game has gotten so incredibly complex since 2014 to where the Devs initial design can't keep up anymore.

How has cyrodiil changed besides new gear? Volundrung? Get rid of it if it fixes the dang thing! Conceptually it seems like the same game to me. If there's new stuff that's breaking it, maybe give us campaigns without that stuff?
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Cyrodiil is so bad, and according to the forums it has been bad since day 1.

Why do you guys keep playing?

Normal people, when they don't like something, leave it until it is fixed.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicharron wrote: »

ESO doesn't actually have many direct competitors afaik. No way I'm going back to an mmo with 10 action bar cool-down based combat. Gw2 is way too cartoony, I want something with some teeth and more compelling world building... ESO doesn't always hit the mark but it's the only thing I know of that's even in the ball park.

Plus, I spend a lot of time doing trials and getting gear and questing. But now that I've done that I'd really like to spend more time in cyrodiil- that was half the point of all that grinding! I think cyrodiil is both the most iconic and the most neglected part of this game.
  • Cendrillion21
    Cendrillion21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had lag just summoning my horse in Cyrodiil last night :(
    Campos de oro
  • DukeDiewalker
    DukeDiewalker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main thing that changed on a mechanical end, are the unncessecary and disliked changes to block and therefore block-cancelling in Harrowstorm.
    Before that, performance was somewhat fine. Still bad during primetime hours and a shame for a "successful" MMO but it was either avoidable or playable. Now Pvp is not even an option 99% of the time.

Revert block changes, I say that since the lsat PTS phase! See how the game performs then.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    khajiitNPC wrote: »
    ArchMikem thats exactly what needs to be done. I for one wouldnt mind if the combat team took Cyrodiil (or the whole game offline) for a few months to fix the horrendous state it is in. If that means a whole new engine so be it.

I don't mean to be rude, but thinking building, basically an entire new game, (which an Engine is at it's core) taking only a few months is cute.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feb 5 patch broke something very, very badly.

There was always lag, but after that patch, it's almost unplayable.

• Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »

Ya I'm not sure what happened on patch 25 but it went from problematic at times to unplayable for me.
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This ^^^

For me it was the patch right after Mid-Year Mayhem (in January). Skills started to not work and then Harrowstorm made it worse.
    I get the feeling they dont know whats wrong or how to fix it.
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The money keeps coming in so nothing majors ever going to happen
  • baron.kreighteb17_ESO
    This game is a giant cheapskate, a ruse, a window dressing mechanism. You name it. It is being sold as a "high quality, premium MMO" but in reality it is THE most expensive game in the history of video gaming with a quality of an indie game.

The "success"part comes from the Elder Scrolls name which managed to accumulate a considerable fan base over the years not to mention its own history, lore and other stuff. Apart from that the marketing machine is also at work.

Take these two things form it and the princess turns into a pimpled toad.
  • TragedyOA
    TragedyOA
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never seen it as bad as it is right,around Buma i'm getting consecutive 3-4 second freezes.
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selminus wrote: »
    My Templar is literally trapped in Cyrodil. Everything was fine and in some big fights at first, no issue. Then zergs meet head to head and not only does time stop but I get kicked to login and if I try to log back on the character, it says I have no internet connection. This is legit like Shadowbane 15+ years ago and there is no excuse for it this late in the game. You've had the time and money to address this for years. Stop making excuses or looking for cheap fixes and spend it. The sentiment in zone and guild chats? The same. "Unplayable" is the most common word. I'm shocked that this is where you guys are right now considering the rest of the game. Unbelievable.

Hey now!!! Shadowbane was much-improved 6 years later and besides graphics, it remains vastly superior to ESO as a PvP title. Don't drag that game thru the mud as an ill comparison. Those devs played their game regularly, interacted and were responsive to feedback, were invested, cared and worked very hard to make a great game on a very limited budget.

By contrast, this game has a huge budget and revenue stream even still. Unfortunately, not much beyond that has ever been demonstrated. Without the Elder Scrolls name, it would have been a total dud and fizzled out a few months after its very messy launch.

Patches should improve game even if only slightly. I have no idea what is going on with ESO, but the PvP game is somehow worse than it was at its very poorly received launch. Maybe as long as money keeps flowing from cosmetics, they just don't care.
    Edited by Enkil on April 28, 2020 9:20AM
  • Fingolfinn01
    Fingolfinn01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time stopping happened to me in the alik'r desert. Its a weird bug. However the really do need some major rework. New hardware and a new engine. The Hero engine is now the villain engine. Unfortunately it seems there too many players for the server especially at peek times. It will solve its self when enough players leave. That's a sad solution.
    PC-NA
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I played ESO on release and it already lagged back then and had a lot of issues. Of course it's worse now but it's not something that happened over the years.
  • evoprimes
    evoprimes
    ✭✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »

I played ESO on release and it already lagged back then and had a lot of issues. Of course it's worse now but it's not something that happened over the years.

ESO server team has 0 technical skill.
  • Lolinda
    Lolinda
    ✭✭
    I have the same, can't play the game, time for The Elder Scrolls Online 2
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicharron wrote: »

Because it's fun, when it works. The only reason people complain so loudly is because we enjoy the PvP in this game.. when it isn't laggy and unresponsive.
    When it does work right you won't find an MMO that can compete with it. The worst part is, it wasn't always this bad. The more updates they poop out, the worse things become, and it's killing me to see a game I enjoyed so much turn out like that.

giphy.gif
  • evoprimes
    evoprimes
    ✭✭✭
    MusCanus wrote: »
    High_Solar wrote: »
    Banana wrote: »
    The money keeps coming in so nothing majors ever going to happen

I'm afraid that this might be playing a huge role. When they look at their finance they definitely see a surplus.

ZOS: Hey people keep pumping cash, even in this horrid state, let's put something new in the crown store.

I'm speculating of course but it feels like that. If players keep pumping cash in to the game in this sorry state, i'm afraid that they will never give priority to the performance. Why you might ask, well cash keeps on flowing no matter the situation. And the major problem with that is people are addicted to their crafting bag, without it they will panic.

I made a poll about a month ago.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/518886/are-you-spending-money-on-the-game-are-you-fine-with-its-current-state/p1
    Until more people are ready to vote with their wallet, nothing will change.

Voted, thanks.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    khajiitNPC wrote: »
    @ArchMikem thats exactly what needs to be done. I for one wouldnt mind if the combat team took Cyrodiil (or the whole game offline) for a few months to fix the horrendous state it is in. If that means a whole new engine so be it.

I can just imagine the directors meeting at Zos:

Director 1: "player numbers are at a record high by a big margin, we have had tonnes of new players join in the last few weeks."

Director 2: "I have a great idea, let's shut down the servers for a couple of months to fix stuff that only 5% of the player base use."

Every other director: "how about no?"

• clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only successful by comparison, because the MMO industry is in ruines. The game itself is mediocre overall because of the very poor tech. I mean think about it for a second, they haven't added any actual NEW game mechanics for years now, only appended more items in some database/sheets and all the fixes they do are done through numbers rather than adding something new.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind lag in Cyrodiil only if it could drive the usual PvP whiners away from the game. That way, maybe us PvE players wouldn't have to bear with stupid nerfs made for idiots who can't figure any build on their own and cry when their copypasta doesn't work as they expected.

Unfortunately, lag is freaking EVERYWHERE. You even get loading screens when trying to talk to a merchant in Craglorn, FFS.

It's only successful by comparison, because the MMO industry is in ruines. The game itself is mediocre overall because of the very poor tech. I mean think about it for a second, they haven't added any actual NEW game mechanics for years now, only appended more items in some database/sheets and all the fixes they do are done through numbers rather than adding something new.

If we can even call that fixes. Nerfing Bosmer stealth because you can't have 2 races that can sneak, and replacing stealth with a stealth detection that has no use whatsoever in PvE was not exactly a "fix" in my book. Neither is the usual "nerf bow / nightblade / whatever" that happens because PvPtards can't adapt and can't bear to lose, and because the head of combat team is very partial about PvP being the superior gameplay. In a game that has exactly ONE PvP zone.

Simply put, they can't get their *** straight.
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You never played Fleet battles in EVE online I guess?

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't work until pvp is round based and servers can proceed one input after an other. Thats how it is, and thats why you should not expect any change for the better anytime soon. Not even slowing down compat with all the cast times and block change used to help. Its over deal with it or look for other options.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya the issues in that patch where happening on consoles months before it broke in that patch. Console players even reported it and zos ignored it and PC players said it was because console isn't as good as PC..... Yep look at it now.......

But it stems back even before that it was a problem with the light patch many many years ago. Cyro used to be a great place to be when the game first launched on console...... Now here we are.

Plus 810 cp from every player hurts too. Server has so much stress from that alone it is crazy.
    Edited by Kidgangster101 on April 27, 2020 1:44PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped my Eso+ subscription when PVP performance started to go bonkers a few months back.
    It's never been this bad; when you read 6+ star forum users writing things such as: 'it's always been like this', it is simply not true.