The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

vDSA Destruction Staff

• Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonor wrote: »
    daemonor wrote: »
    Nothing insane about it, just go on the pts and take notes how much your tooltip actually increases with 600 spell damage. Then take into consideration you have to weave this every 3 spells for your alleged 100% uptime of 600 spelldamage.

Then consider who actually uses clench in pvp now? Wardens as their spammable because the 2k tooltip increase and 30% cost reduce is a bigger benefit. If the rework goes thru I could see magblades using it cause it would line up well with arrow and ulti, doubt it will make them on top of the food chain anyway. So who do we got left, magplars? So instead ele drain>potl>charge>sweep you will spend 4 gcds not doing any damage with ele drain>potl>clench>charge before going in and mess up the superior charge stun for 600 spell damage on 3 sweeps? Doubt you will come out on top too.

I agree to not let this version go live, but not because it's OP.

itll be up when your burst, which is the point.

An extra 600 dmg on frags, curse and fury ty

Ok so with major sorcery and master staff up i get about 1.8k tooltip increase on all spells. If battle spirit works like this i assume we halve that to 900. So thats about 2700 extra damage on your burst proc if my maths are correct. Decent but nothing too crazy, tho I would prefer nerfing magsorc then instead of this staff :wink: or just nerf magsorc and leave the staff as it is currently on live, that would be best for everyone.

So this now a nerf sorc thread.

In april 2020.

I don't even know where to start....
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried a bunch of pve setups (dropping monster sets, running siroria back bar etc) and I lost a lot of dps trying to work this into a rotation. It didn't even work for buffing incap > bow > spams on a magblade, I still lost a lot of dps.

For pvp I'm sure that I would get more burst from a monster set. I can get 120 less spell damage with 100% up time from NMA and save a GCD. I could back bar the master's staff but that's where I go to survive/heal. On live I front bar a masters lightning staff on my mag warden. Next patch I think I will need to find something else.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »
    I tried a bunch of pve setups (dropping monster sets, running siroria back bar etc) and I lost a lot of dps trying to work this into a rotation. It didn't even work for buffing incap > bow > spams on a magblade, I still lost a lot of dps.

For pvp I'm sure that I would get more burst from a monster set. I can get 120 less spell damage with 100% up time from NMA and save a GCD. I could back bar the master's staff but that's where I go to survive/heal. On live I front bar a masters lightning staff on my mag warden. Next patch I think I will need to find something else.

I mean for pve yeah sure its not good.

For pve stop comparing a 2 piece set to a 5 piece?

Its not hard to go 2/5/5/2 in pvp.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I'd much prefer they reverted the change, but maybe increased the base damage of the skill a little more than it already does, like maybe another 500 or so.
    I would 100% be against this. It's already overpowered on live, and most certainly doesn't need a damage increase. As I've mentioned numerous times lately, I've seen this stupid PvE staff put Magicka Wardens in a situation where their spammable does more damage than their signature burst ability does, and puts it more in the realm of Puncturing Sweeps and Whip than it does any other magicka spammable. Master Staff + Shock Clench literally makes non-crits hit harder than "regular" spammable crits do, and it's really dumb. Weapons obtained through non-trivial PvE should never be top dog in PvP.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    I'd much prefer they reverted the change, but maybe increased the base damage of the skill a little more than it already does, like maybe another 500 or so.
    I would 100% be against this. It's already overpowered on live, and most certainly doesn't need a damage increase. As I've mentioned numerous times lately, I've seen this stupid PvE staff put Magicka Wardens in a situation where their spammable does more damage than their signature burst ability does, and puts it more in the realm of Puncturing Sweeps and Whip than it does any other magicka spammable. Master Staff + Shock Clench literally makes non-crits hit harder than "regular" spammable crits do, and it's really dumb. Weapons obtained through non-trivial PvE should never be top dog in PvP.

500 extra damage isn't going to break the universe, and honestly, I haven't see anyone use it for some time now. Why you would give up whips or jabs for such a weapon is beyond my comprehension, though Wardens using it instead of that idiotic bird skill I can understand.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »

500 extra damage isn't going to break the universe, and honestly, I haven't see anyone use it for some time now. Why you would give up whips or jabs for such a weapon is beyond my comprehension, though Wardens using it instead of that idiotic bird skill I can understand.
    I never said that a Templar or DK was going to switch spammables, just that this stupid PvE weapon put Shock Clench more in the realm of those way-better-than-average abilities (though they're still melee range, at least), rather than the "regular" things that are available to everyone else.

Why should I be stuck with - to use your words - "that idiotic bird," just because I find ESO's PvE to be unbearably boring and uninteresting? Or, if I stay on Magicka Necromancer as a main, I'd be forced to use Ricochet Skull (which also sucks), or Force Pulse instead of the significantly superior Master Staff + Shock Clench spam? And if you aren't seeing Mag Necro using this dumb PvE weapon still, it's simply because they've hung their hat on the one-trick-pony of the Grave Robber + Harmony 1-shot nerf-bait nonsense.
  • Giljabrar
    Giljabrar
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the changes to this, I thought to myself, finally, my master staffs have a purpose again. I thought I could break out the ol reliable Master + Lich combo for PvP.

After playing around with it for a while on a few different setups, I've come to this conclusion.

600 spell damage is great, but it's basically polishing a turd. Both morphs of the skill are mostly garbage.

Master Staff used to open up room on your bar by combining your spam with your CC, this was strong on a lot of setups. But with the current state of the skills this set buffs, it still feels extremely lackluster.

I just can't find many setups that can make this worth the trade offs.

Use crap skill to gain 600 spell damage, which basically just makes up for the GCD you spent casting said crap skill lol
  • Attackopsn
    Attackopsn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a flashy increase for a much-less than flashy ability 😝 You’re incorporating a bad ability for a 5th piece bonus instead of using a preferred ability and a 5 piece or monster set.
    ign: ATTACKO
    PS4 NA
    First NA Completion of VMoL Hard Mode

• BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People making post after post about master destro not seeing the reign of terror master DW will bring upon us
    4.png
    Edited by BohnT2 on April 26, 2020 11:07PM
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »

Hmm. So I could go with two 5 piece sets and Kena or I can scrap that monster set, not deal with the penalty, and get a stronger buff for one bar space.

No-brainer in PvP.
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT2 wrote: »
    BohnT2 wrote: »
    The 600 spell damage is pathetic compared to what it currently does.
    Both shock and frost clench are now just terrible abilities and fire clench is still trash with its 15m range and knockback which throws people out of the range of skills on the two classes who rely on a non class CC (necro/warden)

You could put free 600 spell damage on Revealing Flare and it would still be worth a slot.

This is a no-brainer in PvP.

It's not because you lose gcds to keep it up along with losing a skill that is much more powerful than any competitors in terms of powerlevel.

Those 600 spell damage can in no way replace the damage and sustain loss from current master destro especially because you don't have a proper spammable on the classes which used it

It should have never been a spammable (and should never be again). Why would a weapon skill tree need two? That's what Force Pulse is for, use that.

Why? Because I'm sick of it, that's why. Just like I'm sick of Dizzying Swing. We need more options for classes who don't have their own spammable and rely on weapon trees.

Man as a Magden I agree with this 110%
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of either the Blackrose Destro or the Master's Destro should give us a class-agnostic spammable.

I like the new Master's but recognize that it did come at the cost of taking away the only pure elemental spammable that many classes had access to.

So I would be fine if it were reverted though honestly I would rather see the still-pretty-useless Blackrose used for that purpose.
  • UnassumingNoob
    UnassumingNoob
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think we should be complaining about this set. We all need to get on the nerfproc set bandwagon.