The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.4 is available.

Nobody will want to go past stage 1

darthgummibear_ESO
darthgummibear_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
We'll effectively be in the same place as we are now because people won't want to go past stage 1 with the cost increases and actively avoid feeding. Stage 1 will be like stage 4 is now, with everything being more expensive.

I wanted to be able to feed to get stronger, now I have to avoid feeding because I'll get severely penalized for it. There's no upside.
  • Tsukiino
    Tsukiino
    ✭✭✭
    Stage 4's cost increase to non-vampire abilities is such a yikes.

20% cost increase to abilities INCLUDING ultimates.

We already lost Magician and Warlord Cost Reduction CP years ago, but dang. How would you even counteract this cost increase? Waste your sets by running cost reduction stuff? Sacrifice damage for recovery glyphs? Recovery food?
    Options
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    They dont want vampire to be used for its passives like it was before. The point of the changes is to make vampire usable on its own. The new vampire way wont be for everyone to just automatically have it on magicka characters. You would only get it if you wanted to use those skills. I tested it a bit today using my magblade vampire and only 1 non-vampire skill (soul siphon) and had a good time and no resource issues even at stage 4.
    Options
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wavek wrote: »
    They dont want vampire to be used for its passives like it was before. The point of the changes is to make vampire usable on its own. The new vampire way wont be for everyone to just automatically have it on magicka characters. You would only get it if you wanted to use those skills. I tested it a bit today using my magblade vampire and only 1 non-vampire skill (soul siphon) and had a good time and no resource issues even at stage 4.

And what if you are stamina?
    Options
  • Saelent
    Saelent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is a catch 22, if it is good to be a vampire then everyone will want to be a vampire, but if they make it bad to try and niche it, then barely anyone (other than RPers) will want to be a vampire.

I personally would give it a go, but the health drain of blood frenzy is just too high as is the cost increase of non-vampire skills. 10% would be acceptable and still keep some from wanting to be vampires.
    Admittedly the high heath drain tied with the lowering of vampire skill cost does actually make sense. Still don’t like that 20% increase though.
    Options
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t have too much of an issue with vampire cost increases for non-vampire abilities, but it should be toned down.

Things like ultimates, blocking, dodge rolling are effected by the cost increase making vampire difficult to build around.

A better setup would be to exclude certain things like dodge rolling, and maybe stage 1 have no downside or halve the negative to non-vampire abilities.

Otherwise it’d be like a set that only increases one skill line’s damage, who uses those? Too niche.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 21, 2020 10:11PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
    Options
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saelent wrote: »
    It really is a catch 22, if it is good to be a vampire then everyone will want to be a vampire, but if they make it bad to try and niche it, then barely anyone (other than RPers) will want to be a vampire.

I personally would give it a go, but the health drain of blood frenzy is just too high as is the cost increase of non-vampire skills. 10% would be acceptable and still keep some from wanting to be vampires.
    Admittedly the high heath drain tied with the lowering of vampire skill cost does actually make sense. Still don’t like that 20% increase though.

I think blood frenzy might be used by magicka nb in pve. You can out heal the damage if you are using strife.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then maybe you shouldn't be a vampire. Just like werewolf doesn't have synergy with a magicka build.
    Options
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

Then maybe you shouldn't be a vampire. Just like werewolf doesn't have synergy with a magicka build.

I've been playing that kind of vampire since daggerfall in the 90's. If zos is saying I can't do that anymore I should just uninstall the game and go back to playing skyrim.
    Options
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but it seems to me that the devs only want people to play as a vampire using mainly vampire skills. I can see how this is a turn off to most people. I however will embrace it. I already have a pure werewolf themed character that pulls good dps (Blood moon, Req, and Molag). And when this drops I already have 2 pure vampire characters at the ready.

Stamina vampire builds on the other hand will probably have a hard time. But we shall have to see with further testing.

It seems they want Werewolf for stamina characters and Vampire for magic ones.
    Options
  • Kilcosu
    Kilcosu
    ✭✭✭
    melee range magicka nightblade will be alright. combination of merciless resolve and siphoning attacks is just fine to out heal simmering frenzy

eviscerate is a nice and super cheap spammable to offset non vamp skills like ground dots.
    Options
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jesus, people love to cry about everything. You want to be a true vampire than stage 4 is for you. The -40% cost decrease is insanely strong for people willing to actually use vampire abilities. You also have the option to disable the cons for 20s on your ultimate.

I swear, people just want everything handed to them. It's bad enough on live that everyone in pve goes to at least stage 2 to get mag/stam regen, not to mention the drawbacks have no effect because -33% damage taken trumps any extra fire damage taken and hp regen is pretty much useless.

Same goes for pvp. Werewolf and Vampire should be a choice, not a necessity.

The con of the extra ability cost will not matter to a stage 4 vampire that gets insanely cheap abilities.

They fixed this problem. No longer will 80% of the eso population be vampires for passives alone and I'm fine with that.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on April 21, 2020 10:30PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
    Options
  • Paradisius
    Paradisius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that stamina vampire players get the short end of the stick, personally I would change it to where blood for blood scales off the highest stat, so stamina vampires could have a really good melee spammable as well. As for not going past stage 1, its honestly dependant on how you want to play vampire, a choice to how far you'd want to go based on how much you want to build into vampirism. If you want to incorporate vampiric skills into your build, and want those costs reduced or want the passives, you increase the stage accordingly. The point of the rework according to the devs is to change up the entire "Vampire is a straight buff to any build, let it run to stage 4, maybe 3 if you get hit too much" into more of "Am I going to make use of what this stage of vampirism brings me, or should I not advance my stage."
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, people love to cry about everything. You want to be a true vampire than stage 4 is for you. The -40% cost decrease is insanely strong for people willing to actually use vampire abilities. You also have the option to disable the cons for 20s on your ultimate.

I swear, people just want everything handed to them. It's bad enough on live that everyone in pve goes to at least stage 2 to get mag/stam regen, not to mention the drawbacks have no effect because -33% damage taken trumps any extra fire damage taken and hp regen is pretty much useless.

They fixed this problem. No longer will 80% of the eso population be vampires for passives alone and I'm fine with that.

Me too.
    Edited by brandonv516 on April 21, 2020 10:30PM
    Options
  • MotownMurder
    MotownMurder
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

No, sorry, I disagree. Magicka werewolves would be silly, you're right, but a stamina vampire is not a crazy idea. Most of the vampires in TES are not wizards, they're just people fighting with swords. In my opinion, vampirism should become much more accommodating to stamina players than it is right now before the patch goes live. At the very least, the spammable should get a stam morph.
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The con of the extra ability cost will not matter to a stage 4 vampire that gets insanely cheap abilities.

Amen. I really impressed by the idea of new vampire implementation, it's very well thought, it's strong but not OP. It can give you a loot of benefits but will also give you serious cons. This is how balance is made. Decrease the cost and 80% of players will play vampires, it5 should be a choice not obligation.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And again, completely ignoring that stamina players get completely screwed and have no choice in the matter.
    Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going Redguard in VO/Lokke/Grundl on my upcoming vamp. Sad to lose Kena but....dat ulti.
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And again, completely ignoring that stamina players get completely screwed and have no choice in the matter.

So where are the Magicka Werewolves?

Vampire has always catered more to Magicka so I'm not sure why people were expecting it to be different going forward.
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you do have to use all vampire skills to make Stage 4 viable. If you used half vampire skills and half non-vamp skills, you would have half of your skills with a 40% cost reduction and half with a 20% cost increase. Which skills you use and their base costs will vary, but you likely come out ahead in resource sustain. Even 40% vamp skills and 60% non-vamp skills is probably about break even. Ultimates and dodge/block/etc., could be a problem. I think more testing and theory-crafting needs to be done before writing off Stage 4 as not competitive.
    Options
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I don't think you do have to use all vampire skills to make Stage 4 viable. If you used half vampire skills and half non-vamp skills, you would have half of your skills with a 40% cost reduction and half with a 20% cost increase. Which skills you use and their base costs will vary, but you likely come out ahead in resource sustain. Even 40% vamp skills and 60% non-vamp skills is probably about break even. Ultimates and dodge/block/etc., could be a problem. I think more testing and theory-crafting needs to be done before writing off Stage 4 as not competitive.

The vampire skills are all magika. Stamina players are completely boned.
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Vampire has always catered more to Magicka so I'm not sure why people were expecting it to be different going forward.

Magicka werewolves suck at damage but they can take advantage of that heal very well.... and that's about it really.

As for vampires? Well there are a LOT of sources of vampires gaining physical strength and Stamina. In Oblivion they gained strength to the following skills.
    Source:
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Vampirism
    • Acrobatics
    • Athletics
    • Destruction
    • Hand to Hand
    • Illusion
    • Mysticism
    • Sneak

When it comes to stats they gained power to following.
    • Strength
    • Willpower
    • Speed

This is not even taking into the effect the other powers they got like the resistance to normal weapons which went as high as 20%. Now this exists in the form of the undeath passive in ESO.

In Skyrim vampires took on a more magical approach but they still gained bonuses to sneaking. This helped sneaky builds utilize them in battle and of course they gained frost resistance. At stage 4 the frost resistance was at 100% which greatly helped warriors, mages, and rogues going into certain fights.
    Source:
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Vampirism

Morrowind is where we really delve into warrior vampires in the form of the Quarra and Berne Clans. All vampires received the following buffs.
    Source:
    https://pt.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Vampires
    • +20 to Strength, Willpower, and Speed.
    • +30 to Sneak, Athletics, Acrobatics, Hand-to-hand, Unarmored, Mysticism, Illusion, and Destruction.
    • Immune to Paralysis and Common Disease.
    • +50% Resistance to normal weapons.

Berne are the sneaky clan and get these the following buffs: +20 to Agility, additional +20 to Sneak, Unarmored, and Hand-to-hand.

Quarra are the warriors and they get the following buffs: +20 to Strength, +20 Blunt Weapon, Hand-to-hand, and Heavy Armor.

I could go into the 7 vampire clans of the Illiac Bay but this post is getting a bit long. Vampires in The Elder Scrolls have always had a history of improving magical and physical attributes of a person at the cost of flame/sun damage, health recovery, and other healing detriments.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

Magicka werewolves suck at damage but they can take advantage of that heal very well.... and that's about it really.

As for vampires? Well there are a LOT of sources of vampires gaining physical strength and Stamina. In Oblivion they gained strength to the following skills.
    Source:
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Vampirism
    • Acrobatics
    • Athletics
    • Destruction
    • Hand to Hand
    • Illusion
    • Mysticism
    • Sneak

When it comes to stats they gained power to following.
    • Strength
    • Willpower
    • Speed

This is not even taking into the effect the other powers they got like the resistance to normal weapons which went as high as 20%. Now this exists in the form of the undeath passive in ESO.

In Skyrim vampires took on a more magical approach but they still gained bonuses to sneaking. This helped sneaky builds utilize them in battle and of course they gained frost resistance. At stage 4 the frost resistance was at 100% which greatly helped warriors, mages, and rogues going into certain fights.
    Source:
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Vampirism

Morrowind is where we really delve into warrior vampires in the form of the Quarra and Berne Clans. All vampires received the following buffs.
    Source:
    https://pt.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Vampires
    • +20 to Strength, Willpower, and Speed.
    • +30 to Sneak, Athletics, Acrobatics, Hand-to-hand, Unarmored, Mysticism, Illusion, and Destruction.
    • Immune to Paralysis and Common Disease.
    • +50% Resistance to normal weapons.

Berne are the sneaky clan and get these the following buffs: +20 to Agility, additional +20 to Sneak, Unarmored, and Hand-to-hand.

Quarra are the warriors and they get the following buffs: +20 to Strength, +20 Blunt Weapon, Hand-to-hand, and Heavy Armor.

I could go into the 7 vampire clans of the Illiac Bay but this post is getting a bit long. Vampires in The Elder Scrolls have always had a history of improving magical and physical attributes of a person at the cost of flame/sun damage, health recovery, and other healing detriments.

The heal costs Magicka but scales off Max Health.

So the only thing Magicka users can benefit from is the ability to spam a self heal while running around waiting to die.
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The heal costs Magicka but scales off Max Health.

So the only thing Magicka users can benefit from is the ability to spam a self heal while running around waiting to die.

Pretty much lol.
    Options
  • Cuddler
    Cuddler
    ✭✭✭
    Which skills you use and their base costs will vary, but you likely come out ahead in resource sustain. Even 40% vamp skills and 60% non-vamp skills is probably about break even.

Assuming for simplicity that all abilities cost the same, you need to cast 1 vamp for 2 non-vamp abilities at stage 4 to break even, i.e. 66% non vamp to 33% vamp ratio. This ratio will of course vary with actual slotted ability costs, but one definitely does not have to be a 100% dedicated vampire to have decent sustain.
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile I am stuck at stage 1 and cannot progress no matter how many people I feed on.
    Options
  • Cuddler
    Cuddler
    ✭✭✭

Out of 5 abilities, only 2 have a Magicka focus. Mist, Frenzy and Mesmerize are just as effective on Stamina. All passives are equally good on Magicka and Stamina. In fact, Unnatural Movement is better on Stamina thanks to the Medium Armour Sprint passive.
    Options
  • darthgummibear_ESO
    darthgummibear_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuddler wrote: »

Out of 5 abilities, only 2 have a Magicka focus. Mist, Frenzy and Mesmerize are just as effective on Stamina. All passives are equally good on Magicka and Stamina. In fact, Unnatural Movement is better on Stamina thanks to the Medium Armour Sprint passive.

Mist and mes are both magika...[snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on April 22, 2020 1:02PM
    Options
  • fxeconomisteb17_ESO
    So what if nobody wants ?

Nobody wanted in the previous framework either, but it was just stuffed on our throats.
    "Is it true her wounds healed on their own ? Yes" No s***, at 75% health regen penalty!

I was a vampire like you, but then I took an idea to the head...
    Options
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing that kind of vampire since daggerfall in the 90's. If zos is saying I can't do that anymore I should just uninstall the game and go back to playing skyrim.

According to your first post nothing will change for you, except you will be in stage 1 instead of stage 4. Oh yeah, and you will perhaps lose the FOM build being a vampire (or flavor of the past 5 years in this case). And this is what it is really about for most people. But they always like to bring up some RP bs to 'back it up'.
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mist and mes are both magika...[snip]

I think he's referring to the fact they don't have damage that scales off spell damage and max magicka, but I have to disagree with his choices since that one vampire drain morph restores 5% of your lost stamina each second while channeling exists.

That morph helps stamina builds in the same way Green Dragonblood does for StamDK's, but if you slotted every single vampire ability on a bar as a stamina DPS you'd be hurting yourself greatly. Not a single ability that deals physical, disease, or poison damage is on there and not a single stamina morph for any of the skills. I feel like ZOS should have treated the one vampire melee spammable like they did with Imbue Weapon. Start it off as a stamina attack and give it a magicka morph. Its a physical strike after all...
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on April 22, 2020 1:02PM
    Options