Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Feedback: Antiquities Interface looks like a cheap mobile game.

Sporvan
Sporvan
✭✭✭✭✭
I was very disappointed with the preview of the antiquities interface. It looks like candy crush or tetris or something. Utterly unimpressive and jarring compared to the rest of ESO.

If they could find a way to integrate the "mini" game better with the actual ESO 3rd person camera or force the camera into a first person view of an item that you look at on the ground while the rest of the world is within camera shot it would be infinitely better.

Something more akin to a Cartography Station to try find the location, same zoom kinda effect as crafting stations, and when you arrive at a dig site instead let us set up an Excavation Station to perform the dig.

I want to feel like I'm still playing within ESO - not snap to another screen of an interface that feels out of place.

The interface needs serious work and I hope they revise it.

EDIT: Saw this in another thread, but perhaps reconsider how the Antiquities system plays out completely. Look at how wonderfully you executed Thieves Guild Heists and Dark Brotherhood sacraments... what about making interact with the actual ESO world for this system. Give us a random ruin that changes depending on your skill tree, I want to avoid booby traps, I want to feel like I'm actually doing the excavating without it being a Candy Crush game.
Edited by Sporvan on March 30, 2020 6:38PM
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wouldnt be amazed if they are planning to bring out some mobile app for the game ^^
    Options
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And even this will probably lag and bug the game lol
    Options
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, the interface is by far the worst thing about it. I really hope they change it.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
    Options
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So where did this preview of the Antiquities interface come from? Did I miss a ESO Live?
    Options
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the mobile aspect became apparent with the amount of microtransactions eso has started getting
    Options
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    So where did this preview of the Antiquities interface come from? Did I miss a ESO Live?

Here you go.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/littlejohn117/videos

And regarding the subject, I personally don't like to comment something that I did not try, specially not based on 2 minute clip.
    Options
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol true! At first I saw it and felt... Weird. But now that you mention it, it does look like a mobile game LOL
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
    Options
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RefLiberty wrote: »
    Ashtaris wrote: »

Here you go.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/littlejohn117/videos

And regarding the subject, I personally don't like to comment something that I did not try, specially not based on 2 minute clip.

I think you can agree thought that actual footage allows us to preview the system and give feedback that the interface needs to be more immersive and improve?

The footage is enough to allow us to make at least this judgement call.
    Options
  • Vercingetorix
    Vercingetorix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing the pathetic “mythic” items and their weak effects I can see these skill lines being abandoned immediately after players max them out. These new skill lines are gimmicks, nothing more.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    Options
  • Caelc
    Caelc
    ✭✭✭
    I dont play mmos to play crap like that. I wont even play crap like that on a mobile phone while waiting for an appointment.

I don't know what they were thinking. Without a doubt one of the worst decisions they ever did. As of now, i will not be buying the expansion. This is all that was really added and i have no interest in it which makes the chapter overpriced garbage.
    Options
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I do not want more mini games like lockpicking. Never been a fan.

Anything taking me out of my character doing some activity and into some sort of separate game kind of breaks me out of my character (my immersions!) which is funny because I was really looking forward to antiquities being a sort of feature that pulled me more into the character and world as they went exploring and didn't have to worry about the same repeat dailies or killing the same bosses for the 1000th time. Instead it looks like just some tedious mini game that I'll be bored hammering out to get it done and over with.

Unfortunately, they've never changed or overhauled anything from PTS in a major way in the weeks before something comes out. So pretty sure it's here to stay.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
    Options
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was said that all of that footage is very early development with place holder or unfinished assets. Don't judge its appearance until at least pts.
    Options
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    It was said that all of that footage is very early development with place holder or unfinished assets. Don't judge its appearance until at least pts.

It's not so much about the interface (which is hideous) but about the games themselves. One is Battleships with added layers of dust. The other one is... Candy Crush? Connect the Dots? I don't even...

Edit: It is the type of "quests" that shady mobile games make you grind. And then they ask you: "Wanna buy more gems/stars/jewels/coins to get through this mindless crap quicker?"
    Edited by DJfriede on March 30, 2020 6:26PM
    Options
  • Sporvan
    Sporvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »

In that case it's imperative that we give our feedback as early as possible! If we don't this is what we will sit with when they go live and refuse to change it ever again.

The sooner we let them know it's a bad interface design, the better!!
    Options
  • Maxdevil
    Maxdevil
    ✭✭✭
    Lol it does look like a mobile game
    "Maxdevil knows much, and tells some. Maxdevil knows many things others do not."
    Pc-Na
    Options
  • Tigertron
    Tigertron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Based on the videos I have seen I can never ever bring myself to play this. AAA games are the only thing I will play. Last time I played minesweeper was in the 90's. I don't care if it rewards the best op gear in the game I have zero interest in those apps.

Options
  • Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Expectations:
    b2ap3_large_eso-spellcrafting-4.jpg

Reality:
    16c3630a9147a08.gif
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    wouldnt be amazed if they are planning to bring out some mobile app for the game ^^

Yeah! Just play it on your smartphone. Don't even log in to ESO at all. And be exposed to being poached to play Legends!
    Diabolical marketing scheme!
    Options
  • mystkldrgnb14_ESO
    mystkldrgnb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yea..

WoW started doing this - making mini-match games (ala candy crush, etc) - for some of the dailies with the last expansion. Among the 20-30-40+ dailies you can do in WoW, at least a few of them end up being some type of mini-game like this now. They take about...3-5 minutes so, in the course of running the other dailies, they can be a nice 'gimme it fast' daily to break up the 'kill 5 more' dailies. No one "enjoys' the content I'd say, but players in WoW don't seem to mind it because it IS just a 'few among many' daily options one can play. If one hated this type of 'daily' then there are dozens of the regular kind to do instead.

Looks like TESO devs are wanting to bring this mini-game to their "Antiquities" system (?). Whether or not it will be, ultimately (once you're use to the format), another "get this done in five minutes once a day" and move on or not (like it is in WoW), we shall see. LIke I said, Wow Players certainly don't consider this 'content' or anything worthwhile to do other than its faster than a normal daily, and its optional.

I don't know if I'll like it more or less than the WoW Archeology 'minigame' system. For those who never played with it, WoW Archeology lets you stay 'in world' (unlike this minigame) and you put down a little device that gives you a red/green/yellow light that lets you know the direction and a rough 'distance' estimator (by the color) of where the treasure is for you to dig up. You go that 'distance', in that direction, and either put down another device to get closer to the item - or the device glows to let you know you found it. Dig it up and wala - Stuff received. Now It IS a minigame - just a minigame of a different sort, that also doesn't have you leave the game field to do.

It is a bit more engaging than a "candy crush" type minigame, and usually takes a few more minutes of hunt and peck to find the item.

I don't know if this idea is better or worse than that. The WoW Arch model is certainly 'boring' for all intents and purposes, with the RNG of the item you're getting enough of a cookie to keep those interested in those items to keep digging. But it isn't 'fun' content in and of itself. Most put it along the same lines as Fishing. You either enjoy it enough, find it relaxing, to keep doing - or you hate it and skip it and that's that.

We shall see when it launches. But the TESO version certainly doesn't look like its shaping up to be anything that will bring real content to the game (at least not yet). Certainly not anything, at least in its current state, that would keep people playing the game if they weren't already - or make someone want the expansion who doesn't already. It looks more like a RNG Loot Box you play a minigame for, really. Just another way to get game drops besides killing and stealing? I guess?

Which is fine. I never expected MORE than the WoW Archeology concept. But I guess I also didn't expect less... heh. But we shall see. It IS still early - but, even if the mini-game designs get buffed or 'redone' entirely - clearly 'minigame' IS the proof of concept they are going for. They aren't going to redesign this before release into something entirely different. They are intending for "Artifacting" to involve mostly minigames and I"m sure that part won't be changing.
    Options
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zatox wrote: »
    Expectations:
    b2ap3_large_eso-spellcrafting-4.jpg

Reality:
    16c3630a9147a08.gif

Antiquities is their [Snip] replacement for spell crafting because they have ran this game into the ground and spell crafting would only be worse for game performance and stability. And on top of that they dont want to invest the time and effort needed to implement something as game changing as spell crafting.

They just want to give their consumers false expectations, like expecting a game that a game you have spent thousands of dollars on and hours in will function properly for the majority of its lifespan, not less than half of it..

Or expecting we would get a system (spellcrafting) that looked like it was pretty damn fleshed out and would be coming in the near future. But woops, we scrapped it.

[Edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on March 31, 2020 3:40PM
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minigames are fun
    I tough it was somethign missing from this game

We could eventually get card cames and such in tavern

And it looks funnier than the psijiic one
    Options
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah it looks awful. i would not play that
    PC - EU - Steam client
    Options
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually excited for some treasure hunting, but this looks boring and cheap-ish, and interface style is way off
    Edited by Nairinhe on March 31, 2020 12:18AM
    Options
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem is with Greymoor just around the corner, whatever interface they decided on is already set in stone. They are way past the design stage where they can make any major UI changes and still meet their June 2nd deadline. So I’m afraid we are stuck with it. I think I want time to play with it on the PTS before I totally trash it.
    Options
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That digging part! I nearly choked on my tea from laughing 😂

I don’t know what I was expecting but that look aweful 😂😂😂😂😂
    Options
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well I kinda of like it because well its a minigame within a game and because it might not be as much of a boggle on performance had they done it in another way. Who knows maybe it will lead to a game that is a lot like Elder Scrolls Legends being interfaced within the game itself one day. So those crown crate cards could be useful for something.
    An Elder Scrolls game within an Elder Scrolls game. That would be neat actually. If they ever did that .
    Edited by Thevampirenight on March 31, 2020 8:31AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
    Options
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could not agree more!

ESO has missed a trick by not implementing numerous "mini game" additions. Many other have had them for years. Its nice to see something similar filter into ESO... but it still needs to be ESO!
    Options
  • perolord
    perolord
    ✭✭✭
    It looks really awul to be honest... just not the style that you could combine with ESO..

Options
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I so wanted this to be cool but i guess not to bad my ps4 account will not be getting the upgrade to skyrim as other then this and zone vampire change will be free and only thing id pay twice for and unfortunately its to high an price to pay with how game plays on ps4 atm. 1st chapter i ever said no to hope this aint the road it well keep on or my PS4 account well be done for
    Options
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wonder with what will they come up to monetize mini game, more moves per day token or something like that :#
    Options