The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

New Mag Major Slayer “DPS Set” Roaring Opportunist

Marteene
Marteene
✭✭✭
Few questions
- Why would we need a new major slayer set “for DPS” when it requires more strict proc conditions than the current ones?
- What is the point of making a new set that obviously plays towards healers/support but is advertised as a DPS set?
- Why slot Spell Penetration on a DPS set? The community has worked very hard to do the math and implement setups that provide adequate penetration in trials.
- If this set procs during the duration of Off Balance, will it provide enough Major Slayer to offset other sets that provide that same buff to fewer people. Due to Off Balance’s uptime, this seems unlikely.
- Why is it so important to completely devalue preexisting sets such as Master Architect, War Machine, and Tooth of Lokkestiiz? In the same way that the original concept for Mantle of Siroria was flawed, so is this. Roaring Opportunist needs to provide something meaning for DPS, stamina sets are constantly rewarded with high damage output conditions.
- Finally, how are we supposed to react to Off Balance proccing? There is current no in game announcement that states imminent Off Balance, until there’s a comprehensive prediction in place these sets won’t be even somewhat useful for DPS.
  • Dogzey
    Dogzey
    ✭✭✭
    Also if you noticed the sets are all heavy attack reliant meaning the new pts changes are going ahead regardless of player input.
    PS4 EU [810CP] - (Clairvoyance)

PvE High Elf Mag DK - Irelia Dragneel (Voice of Reason) (Dro-m'Athra Destroyer)
    PvE Orc Stam DK - Minato Uzamaki
    PvE Breton Templar - Ashura Namikaze (Voice of Reason)
    PvE Altmer Magcro - Zeref Dragneel
    PvE Orc Stamcro - Saphira Dragonsbane (Dro-m'Athra Destroyer)
    PvE Orc Stam Sorc - Laxus Dreyar
    PvE Imperial DK Tank- Tartarus the Abyss
    PvE Dumner Magblade - Apex the Destroyer (Flawless Conqueror)
    PvE/PVP Orc Stamblade - IIzuna Uchiha
    PvE Altmer Warden Healer - Lady Netch

PVP Dumner Mag DK - Lady Embers

Clears
    vAS HM
    vMoL HM
    vHoF HM
    vCR +1
    vSS
    Craglorns HM
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dogzey wrote: »
    Also if you noticed the sets are all heavy attack reliant meaning the new pts changes are going ahead regardless of player input.

I called it :smile:
    Edited by mairwen85 on March 30, 2020 1:10PM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »

good call!
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

good call!

Obvious is obvious.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like healers are about to get their version of Alkosh.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't understand this insistence from the combat team that we interact with off balance.

I have not heard a single player ever say "I wish we had more mechanics around off balance." in the entire time I have played ESO...

In my opinion, off balance can just be something that happens ever so many seconds that gives us a DPS boost, and gives us a reason to run shock staff (to proc it). Other than that I would rather not have things that depend on me paying attention to off balance. It does not add any fun to the game for me.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think there are better things to spend time on that would actually add more fun.

Playing since beta...
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    I don't understand this insistence from the combat team that we interact with off balance.

I have not heard a single player ever say "I wish we had more mechanics around off balance." in the entire time I have played ESO...

In my opinion, off balance can just be something that happens ever so many seconds that gives us a DPS boost, and gives us a reason to run shock staff (to proc it). Other than that I would rather not have things that depend on me paying attention to off balance. It does not add any fun to the game for me.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think there are better things to spend time on that would actually add more fun.

For the longest time now ZOS is trying (and miserably failing) to move players away from static rotations in favor of more dynamic approach to damage dealing. Like you do one thing when off-balance is up and an entirely different one when it isn't.

Except they keep missing the part that for this idea to work their combat modifier should be easily trackable with just base game UI and have a big and obivous visual indicator...
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    kojou wrote: »

For the longest time now ZOS is trying (and miserably failing) to move players away from static rotations in favor of more dynamic approach to damage dealing. Like you do one thing when off-balance is up and an entirely different one when it isn't.

Except they keep missing the part that for this idea to work their combat modifier should be easily trackable with just base game UI and have a big and obivous visual indicator...

I agree, I just don't agree with their direction of using off-balance. I think it is boring.

If they want things to be dynamic then spend more time making the fights dynamic. I don't find tracking the ~7 second window of a randomly proc'ed debuff fun.
    Playing since beta...
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any set that requires an interaction with Off Balance is an immediate fail. It is too hard to control. It is too hard to reliably detect. It always happens just as the boss teleports or jumps or you need to focus on a mechanic. It lasts such a short time and heavy attacks take so long, that you really need to drop everything if you want to interact with Off Balance, which messes with rotations. It is awkward and annoying and decidedly not fun. Making high DOS numbers less reliant on twitchy, flawless light attack weaving is fine. But give us fun ways to still meet DPS checks, not gimmicky baloney like this.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Like sustain changes with PFG >:) .

Where are the links to these sets?
  • JoKi
    JoKi
    ✭✭
    This set is kinda strange, I'd say rather than a DD, one of the healers will wear this, since the buff has a cd on each target 2 people in the same group using it is kinda troll...
    Edited by JoKi on March 30, 2020 2:28PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Any set that requires an interaction with Off Balance is an immediate fail. It is too hard to control. It is too hard to reliably detect. It always happens just as the boss teleports or jumps or you need to focus on a mechanic. It lasts such a short time and heavy attacks take so long, that you really need to drop everything if you want to interact with Off Balance, which messes with rotations. It is awkward and annoying and decidedly not fun. Making high DOS numbers less reliant on twitchy, flawless light attack weaving is fine. But give us fun ways to still meet DPS checks, not gimmicky baloney like this.

In theory You could just give that set to 1 DD that will run with heavy attack oriented rotation to keep decent uptime
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the plus side this is a buff to healer dps :)
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »

In theory You could just give that set to 1 DD that will run with heavy attack oriented rotation to keep decent uptime

Ot you put it on a healer and save a spot for one more maxDPS DD.
  • Tanis-Stormbinder
    Tanis-Stormbinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect Roaring Opportunist:
    2 items: Adds 1487 Spell Penetration
    3 items: Gain Minor Slayer at all times, increasing your damage done to Dungeon, Trial, and Arena Monsters by X%.
    4 items: Adds 129 Spell Damage
    5 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka & Dealing damage with a Fully-Charged Heavy Attack to an enemy that's been set Off-Balance grants you and up to 11 group members Major Slayer, increasing your damage done to Dungeon, Trial, and Arena Monsters by X% for X seconds. Roaring Opportunist can only affect a target every X seconds

Wow great for organized trial groups not so much for everyone else. Timing heavy attacks on Off-balance is critical. Not lowing the ceiling much with this set
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Literally sounds like IA all over again, and means no Magicka DPS set from this trial.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    3 items: Gain Minor Slayer at all times, increasing your damage done to Dungeon, Trial, and Arena Monsters by X%.
    5 items: Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka & Dealing damage with a Fully-Charged Heavy Attack to an enemy that's been set Off-Balance grants you and up to 11 group members Major Slayer, increasing your damage done to Dungeon, Trial, and Arena Monsters by X% for X seconds. Roaring Opportunist can only affect a target every X seconds

Wow great for organized trial groups not so much for everyone else. Timing heavy attacks on Off-balance is critical. Not lowing the ceiling much with this set

Mechanics build around off-balance are universally stupid.

I mean on PC it's not *terrible* because there are addons you can use to track it carefully, e.g., a countdown to when off-balance immunity wears off.

But on console this is nonsense. Just wait for the dumb swirling indicator over the target's head? Or perhaps we'll have good console raid teams making their supports run stopwatches to track it like they do for the minis in Asylum.

I'll give ZOS one thing: they manage to implement brain-dead changes and come up with ideas that are almost universally hated by their endgame community at an astonishing rate. I'm honestly not sure they could *** people off more if they were trying to.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a healers set to me, extremely boring and unimaginative also. Why we had architect, machine and lokke even? Next year new spell strategist giving major berserk on medium weave? Lol
  • Tanis-Stormbinder
    Tanis-Stormbinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you removed the Off balance requirement and depending on the up time it may be used by a few well organized damage dealers. But with all the talk about lowering the ceiling this set wouldn't help much.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Literally sounds like IA all over again, and means no Magicka DPS set from this trial.

Exactly. But it't not like stamina DDs or tanks are getting anything useful either. Unless those "X"s turn into some obscene numbers later.
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly. But it't not like stamina DDs or tanks are getting anything useful either. Unless those "X"s turn into some obscene numbers later.

Yeah but Stam already has lokk and rele which is way better than anything mag has. Not to mention better monster helms
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Which is a shame since the last set was a redone stam set.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So the HA/LA changes are going live.

....anyone want my stuff? This is bullsh*t, ZOS. Upending the combat system like this ISN'T GOING TO RAISE THE FLOOR. jfc
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »

Which is a shame since the last set was a redone stam set.

Give me some redone stam sets instead of what they are planning to give us. I´ll take 1 mag lokke, dont want to wait 5 years for that one too.

Agreed About the new set tho, its uptime is either gonna be irrelevant or more likely strong enough to make it as a support set.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So wait, are you telling me that the PTS 'test' isn't actually a test and there is a chance it was just part of the expansion patch all along. Is this where I'm supposed to use the shocked pikachu face?

So, new trial sets designed around a possible change? And one that makes several previous sets useless? Guess I wasted my time getting Lokke and/or MA/WM sets from other trials.

Also, all the end game players that hated the idea of a heavy attack meta for how boring it is being told, you don't have to do it, it won't lower your dps by that much are now being offered meta sets from trials that will require them to play like that whether they want to or not in order to be competitive.

-- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Bowser
    Bowser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not even a dps set. Tanks will have to run that to provide major slayer to the group. It's Alkosh 2.0
    @King-Koopa
    World First DK Tank Execute on Rakkhat HM
    Play how you want - no meta allowed!
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Time will tell what "max DPS DD" will be. It may turn out heavy attacks will be the way to go for max DPS.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

Mechanics build around off-balance are universally stupid.

I mean on PC it's not *terrible* because there are addons you can use to track it carefully, e.g., a countdown to when off-balance immunity wears off.

But on console this is nonsense. Just wait for the dumb swirling indicator over the target's head? Or perhaps we'll have good console raid teams making their supports run stopwatches to track it like they do for the minis in Asylum.

I'll give ZOS one thing: they manage to implement brain-dead changes and come up with ideas that are almost universally hated by their endgame community at an astonishing rate. I'm honestly not sure they could *** people off more if they were trying to.

All they need now is hate speech and crown store trial gear to finish off the game
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a new healer set. They use lightning staff and heavy attack anyway, so depending on buff time and cooldown it'll be either useless crap or most healer will don it with olorime...
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So Stam DD won't run Lokke any more and instead get to run another buff set. Power creep to the stam DPS again while Mag DD get nothing because their set is best suited to a healer.