The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I HATE fragments system

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The main thing I like about the Fragment system is it no longer gives duplicate drops. So while they aren't giving you tons of drops, you aren't also getting tons of duplicate trash anymore.
    When you get a drop it looks guaranteed to be one you don't already have.
    And it doesn't look like they reduce your drop rate because you have more fragments collected.
    All they need to do is reassure people the even will re-run with the same rewards collectable and we're good.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    amapola76 wrote: »
    So, I said this on another post, but there are really at least 3 ways that I know of that they have tried to deal with the fragments:

(1) Fragments remain in your inventory. Pro: they can be traded. Con: they take up inventory, sometimes for years.

(2) Fragments go straight to your collections menu. Pro: they don't take up inventory space. Con: you can't trade them.

(3) Fragments initially go to your inventory. If you click E to consume them, they move into your collections menu, but if you already have that fragment or don't want the item, you can sell or give them to another player.

Method #3 is clearly the superior approach, and they have tried it with one or two events this past year*, but for some reason now they have seemed to move away from it for this event, which is really too bad. I'm sure people will ascribe a sinister motive to that, but my hope is that they are just experimenting to see what works best, and if that's the case, they really should move back to Method #3.

(*I'm blanking on which items/events right now, but I distinctly remember thinking, oh, ok, this is GOOD, they should always do this.)
    I think for number three you're thinking of the Mummy Cat Pet and the Peryite Costume that you get the pieces for from the one public dungeons in Northern Elsweyr. You can use each piece as you get them and once you've used 10 you unlock the Collectible. They did the same thing with that Skeleton Marionette memento from last year's Witches Festival. Those didn't go into your Fragment tab though, I don't think, they were tracked by the achievements I believe.

apple bobbing cauldron actualy. it has tradable fragments, but when you click on them, if you don't have it - it goes into your collections fragment section. drawback is that you USED to be able to combine those fragments into a tradable runebox, which made it much easier to gift, trade and even just store. but its STILL IMO better then what we have in murkmire event.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    apple bobbing cauldron actualy. it has tradable fragments, but when you click on them, if you don't have it - it goes into your collections fragment section. drawback is that you USED to be able to combine those fragments into a tradable runebox, which made it much easier to gift, trade and even just store. but its STILL IMO better then what we have in murkmire event.
    Really? Huh, I don't remember it doing that, but then again I got it the year it was introduced and my memory is terrible. I will agree that either way, it's still better than what we have with the Murkmire event. Even for events where you get things that clutter your inventory, like the Apple-Bobbing Cauldron or all those darn Companion style pages, I would prefer having to delete the items as I get it because at least I have the option to give them away or store a few pieces in my guild banks for newer people who may not have them.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I need 4 more fragments and have 3 more days. I could use what little tickets I have left but I don't care anymore.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Even for events where you get things that clutter your inventory, like the Apple-Bobbing Cauldron or all those darn Companion style pages, I would prefer having to delete the items as I get it because at least I have the option to give them away or store a few pieces in my guild banks for newer people who may not have them.

Thing is, they gave out way too much of these. New players don't even have to do the event, they can just get them from guild banks. In a way, that robs them of the "thrill" of acquiring these things during an event by replacing the experience with basically a handout.
    It's one thing to have a system in place to accommodate people who can't attend an event but there are other ways to handle that. Like not giving events a scarcity mentality so there's always "next time".

Overall the Murkmire event is not bad if they removed the sense of Fear of Missing Out and if they set up expectations for additional Strongboxes much better at the start.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on February 29, 2020 8:01PM
  • Isaura
    Isaura
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree with OP. And same for me I had very few pet fragments but tons of this useless memento ones, and also just a green treasure once (2 friends of mine only got that for several days) which is at this point, an insult. Because they advertise their events so much, and then give so little. How on earth is this suppose to make us want to play or buy Murkmire, I don't know, but something is very wrong with their idea of a "reward" (same for the "daily login reward", great idea in theory, but for real, just a pile of crap)
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system is much better than I originally thought & admittedly complained about at the start of the event.

There are no duplicates. When RNG puts a fragment in a Strongbox, it just chooses the next one in your list that you don’t have.

I have both the pet & memento; purchased Spectral Berry; purchased Indrik Feather for a 2nd Nascent; and will have 10 tickets at the end of the event to buy the final Spectral Berry as soon as the next event starts... and never spent a dime of IRL currency or purchased anything from the Crown Store.

Seems pretty good to me.

S.
    Edited by ShawnLaRock on February 29, 2020 8:35PM
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    Really? Huh, I don't remember it doing that, but then again I got it the year it was introduced and my memory is terrible. I will agree that either way, it's still better than what we have with the Murkmire event. Even for events where you get things that clutter your inventory, like the Apple-Bobbing Cauldron or all those darn Companion style pages, I would prefer having to delete the items as I get it because at least I have the option to give them away or store a few pieces in my guild banks for newer people who may not have them.

Yes, Linaleah is right, the cauldron was the the one I was thinking of... but actually, you're both right, as this year was the first year that the apple bobbing cauldron worked that way. In previous years, the pieces sat in your inventory until you had all of them. I know, because I've only managed to pick up two pieces a year, so I still have one left to go. :D And this is the first year I could consume them instead of leaving them sitting in my bag all year. I think there was one more as well, but I still don't remember what it was.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system is much better than I originally thought & admittedly complained about at the start of the event.

There are no duplicates. When RNG puts a fragment in a Strongbox, it just chooses the next one in your list that you don’t have.

I have both the pet & memento; purchased Spectral Berry; purchased Indrik Feather for a 2nd Nascent; and will have 10 tickets at the end of the event to buy the final Spectral Berry as soon as the next event starts... and never spent a dime of IRL currency or purchased anything from the Crown Store.

Seems pretty good to me.

S.

lucky. best case scenario, on my main account I will end up finishing both collectibles by the skin of my teeth, buying a berry and having no tickets left over going into next event. i had to buy pretty much all of my pet fragments and only got a few memento ones. that btw is with starting with 6 fragments and already having all the possible feathers, so i'm only collecting berries right now.

but.. I pretty much accepted the very real possibility that rng will continue to punish me and memento will remain unfinished. can i buy those fragments instead of a berry? in theory. in practice, given how this event has been going and that jesters comes with its own new pet.. i'd rather not risk not being able to complete the indrik or that pet. as much as I would like to collect all things.. I don't use mementos nearly as often as I use pets (which is 100% of the time nowadays, as i don't really do trials anymore and that was the only time i put my pets away)
    Edited by Linaleah on February 29, 2020 9:07PM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Seems pretty good to me.

S.

I'm glad you were blessed by RNG. Many were not. If we only focused on people who got exactly what they wanted from the event, we ignore the scores of people who didn't.
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Dusk_Coven
    It's true that people can probably appreciate getting something themselves more if they put a bit of effort into getting it than just having it handed to them, but in the case of the Murkmire event, ZOS didn't even make it feasible to get both rewards even if you fully participate for the whole duration and get all your ticket and Strongbox drops. You only get 39 tickets, which is only enough to complete one of the Collectibles via buying it from the Impresario. For the other one you either have to hope you get all the drops from the Strongboxes, or spend irl money to buy Crowns in order to buy tickets from the CS. And this isn't even considering if you need to buy any Feathers or current Berries for whatever reason. What they SHOULD have done was either make the pieces something like 2 tickets each (which would let you buy all the pieces for both Collectibles and have enough to buy a Feather or a Berry with 1 ticket left over, assuming you do event stuff every day and didn't get hecked over by RNG not giving you tickets any given day), or make it so that your first Strongbox of the day was guaranteed to drop one of the Collectible fragments that you don't already have. Either of those would have made it so you still need to take part in the event to get the stuff, but at least you could actually earn the rewards and not either hope RNG is nice to you, buy tickets with Crowns, or miss out on one of the things until next year (assuming the Murkmire event happens again next year; at the rate new DLC and Chapters are coming out, events are going to start running into one another, which either means some events will be discontinued, or we'll have long periods of months and months of events).

@ShawnLaRock
    It only seems pretty good to you because you've had extraordinarily good luck with the RNG. For many, many people, though, they aren't even getting their tickets or their Stronboxes some days because said RNG isn't dropping it for them. The simple fact is ZOS made it next to impossible to actually earn both rewards without having to buy tickets with Crowns. Of course there will be people who get lucky with RNG, getting numerous pieces in one box, getting numerous boxes that all have a piece in one day, etc, but most people won't be that lucky.
    Edited by Arunei on February 29, 2020 9:26PM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Even for events where you get things that clutter your inventory, like the Apple-Bobbing Cauldron or all those darn Companion style pages, I would prefer having to delete the items as I get it because at least I have the option to give them away or store a few pieces in my guild banks for newer people who may not have them.

Thing is, they gave out way too much of these. New players don't even have to do the event, they can just get them from guild banks. In a way, that robs them of the "thrill" of acquiring these things during an event by replacing the experience with basically a handout.
    It's one thing to have a system in place to accommodate people who can't attend an event but there are other ways to handle that. Like not giving events a scarcity mentality so there's always "next time".

Overall the Murkmire event is not bad if they removed the sense of Fear of Missing Out and if they set up expectations for additional Strongboxes much better at the start.

"have to" is an interesting choice of words... when players could grab rewards from guild vaults or trade them - participation in events became less of a "have to" and more of a "chose to solely because its enjoyable" and I just cannot wrap my head around idea that anything so rng dependent is "earned"
    dirty worthless casual.
  • BackStabeth
    BackStabeth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you work towards something and you eventually earn it, it adds value to that item. This is true.

However, RNG has nothing to do with working towards something and earning it, it's chance. People who put money into a gambling machine and hit a jackpot didn't do any work.

It's also not fair when some people get items easy, and others do not.

It's not a fair system, it's not earning anything, it's RNG "Random Number Generator". The way RNG works is like this. If you have a 1 in 100 chance for something to drop, it's 1 in 100 every time. If you repeat the same thing 100 times it isn't a guarantee it will drop within that 100 times. Every roll is 1 in 100, unlike gambling.

It's a grind, it's not working towards something. Some peoples grind is less than others, some a lot more. But it's all a grind!

Best thing to do is not to engage in events until ZoS changes the way events work. Allowing profit to dictate event game mechanics is ruining the game. If ZoS doesn't understand this, and understand as well how awful the current system is they they do not deserve being paid for us to just be frustrated.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    OP, what are you spending your tickets on?
    precambria wrote: »
    They serve a purpose, to take up space, you can buy more space on the crown store in the form of storage chest, mount storage upgrades or BristleBoar. Thank you come again.

The above is the downside of having them be tradeable. Do you know how many apple-bobbing parts we have in our guild bank?

Whose fault is that?

Clean them out and tell your members to stop depositing them
    Beta tester November 2013
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With this event they took the social aspect of MMO out. Don't group or you might lose drops, no way to trade with others... It's non sense.

This is what I hate the most.
    I like events that bring the community together, like Summerfall (I don't care about it being rigged, people who helped NA/EU tourists were awesome).
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me about it, I don’t want the snot pet and I’d love to give it away to one of my 3 guilds. Has anyone ever got any duplicates?
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Welcome to ESO in 2020 - where players must pay to win event rewards instead of just playing the game to earn them!

Paid zero for the fragments. Completed both this morning. Spent event tickets on the berries. Have a base Indirik ready to evolve and enough feathers for another base one. I had to spend the event tickets I earned on fragments because I was going to lose tickets and with 2 days of tickets left I am still going to end up losing tickets with nothing to spend them on.

Everything was entirely doable with even the slightest amount of effort. I farmed extra boxes while doing the Rescuer achievement. Completed the fragments and that achievement at the same time.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Welcome to ESO in 2020 - where players must pay to win event rewards instead of just playing the game to earn them!

Paid zero for the fragments. Completed both this morning. Spent event tickets on the berries. Have a base Indirik ready to evolve and enough feathers for another base one. I had to spend the event tickets I earned on fragments because I was going to lose tickets and with 2 days of tickets left I am still going to end up losing tickets with nothing to spend them on.

Everything was entirely doable with even the slightest amount of effort. I farmed extra boxes while doing the Rescuer achievement. Completed the fragments and that achievement at the same time.

Good rng =/= effort. I'm glad that you're lucky, but half of my boxes didnt drop any parts, and some of them were borderline insulting (25 worms and 250 gold item).

PC/EU
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This event has 2 systems working: The fragment drop rate in the Strongboxes, and the ability to get additional Strongboxes.

I think there's enough evidence already that the ability to get additional Strongboxes is really ludicrous. So we can't count on that contributing at all.
    So all that usefully remains for assembling even one full collectible is the guaranteed single Strongbox per day.
    And I bet some people will somehow end up with zero fragments from those boxes at the end of the event. Even discounting that fringe case, I think many people will not have 7 fragments, much less all of them being for the same collectible.

Why I feel the event is still sort of acceptable is because players can make up the difference with the free daily tickets. Even if you got zero fragments, there are enough free tickets to fully assemble one of the collectibles. BUT obviously there aren't enough free tickets to go around for both collectibles as well as the indrik parts. And that feels like one aspect that really irks people.

Which would still be okay IF (big if) there isn't any Fear of Missing Out because the event is guaranteed to come back. We don't even have a really regular event schedule so I think we can only really count on the anniversary event and Life Day to show up.

So overall, I think the key aspect that needs to be changed is not so much the RNG, but the FOMO.

If there weren't a FOMO aspect to the event, if people weren't so desperate to get their collectibles, this whole event could be re-framed as a "show-up-and-get-free-stuff" event. Sure, you might not get a full collectible this time, but we're handing out freebies next year too.
    Hardly anyone mentions the fact that the Dailies are giving out double box rewards. That's part of the event too.

And of course, the lure of additional Strongboxes versus the reality of grinding them out -- that part was just a total fail in setting up expectations.

SWTOR events have zero FOMO. Some items that require event tokens can several turns at the events. Many have a reputation system that inches you up over several events to even qualify you to get some of the event items. But without FOMO panicking you into "get-it-now-or-miss-it-forever", it's fine.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on March 1, 2020 3:11AM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good rng =/= effort. I'm glad that you're lucky, but half of my boxes didnt drop any parts, and some of them were borderline insulting (25 worms and 250 gold item).

Time spent in the zone increases your chance to gain boxes. Killing and looting nodes as you go does too. Too many players during this event are just running past everything and then complaining that rng isn't treating them well. Again, I did this in the time it took to do the Rescuer challenge. A current achievement that requires running around Murkmire. The whole intent of the event is to spend time in the zone. Doing enough to get the first box and moving on isn't gonna cut it.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Time spent in the zone increases your chance to gain boxes. Killing and looting nodes as you go does too. Too many players during this event are just running past everything and then complaining that rng isn't treating them well. Again, I did this in the time it took to do the Rescuer challenge. A current achievement that requires running around Murkmire. The whole intent of the event is to spend time in the zone. Doing enough to get the first box and moving on isn't gonna cut it.

Again, you were lucky with your boxes.
    For me, a lot of them looked like this
    i3kS8pE.png
    I did get one with double fragments, but half of them didn't drop anything.

PC/EU
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i3kS8pE.png

And probably half of mine didn't drop anything. I got around 20 boxes over the last ten days. Had to buy 2 fragments with excess tickets so that I didn't lose the tickets. So, 20 boxes a few doubles, a bunch of empty, and some singles. All with spending maybe am hour or two in murkmire a day. If that. Probably could have been done quicker with more time spent.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just node farming would do it too. Past the first box drop. Plus you could make millions in mats.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    Cavedog wrote: »
    It's mystifying to me why these fragments aren't made trade'able and marketable. That way everyone can get them by buying them if they missed them and we can trade among friends for ones we don't have.

Ya, they designed this poorly in my opinion.

It’s about marketing. If they were tradeable, then we could easily get them all without having to resort to the crown store to buy tickets. Now both tickets and fragments are RNG-based, resulting in many more holes to fall through, and Support uses RNG as an excuse not to help.

Mystifying for a company that has traditionally offered a choice between spending time or spending money. Not so mystifying for a company that wants to make spending time alone not enough...

But we do have the choice between spending time and spending money. The people that spend the most time on the game came into the event only needing the berry, likely with leftover tickets from the previous event.

Between items I had from boxes and fragments I bought, I was down to 3 memento fragments missing this morning. Then I got 2 of them in my daily box. So I have 3 days to get the last one, or spend 5 of the 12 tickets I'll have by the end of the event to buy it if I really want to.

And I'd never buy a ticket from the store. I only spent time.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Magenpie
    Magenpie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've spent quite a lot of time running around in the zone - I've spent a reasonable amount of time there every day - killing and picking up materials, and I've only had two extra boxes during the whole event.

My issue is the lack of fun. I don't understand why there aren't other collectables dotted around as random drops in the zone as well as the boxes. Getting the fragments feels so boring, as well as frustrating. If there were other things to find, I think it would excite people more and generate the warm fuzzies ZOS hoped for (edit: this is a massive assumption on my part. Maybe ZOS don't give a pair of fetid dingos kidneys for the warm fuzzies.) As it is, people are cross and fed up with doing the same thing for days on end, with very little bang-for-buck.

This is supposed to be a GAME! It's supposed to be fun. I understand 'getting good' at playing as something you might need to put time into, but this kind of thing should be jolly, light relief by comparison.

And don't get me started on the bosses only giving loot to 12 players - it just looks and feels terrible. Bad design imvho.

P.S. What I should have said too - I flipping love Murkmire. I love that it's beautiful and dangerous, and the npcs are some of my fave in the game - Xukus and Jaxsik in particular. I love Keepy-Uppy-Argonian guy. I love the Argonian lady who gives me the daily quests from Rootwhisper. It's all great. And I'm sure this happens in other places too, but I love it that a river troll just threw a crab at me, and the crab got cross and fought with me against the troll. Brilliant.
    Edited by Magenpie on March 1, 2020 7:13AM
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i3kS8pE.png

And probably half of mine didn't drop anything. I got around 20 boxes over the last ten days. Had to buy 2 fragments with excess tickets so that I didn't lose the tickets. So, 20 boxes a few doubles, a bunch of empty, and some singles. All with spending maybe am hour or two in murkmire a day. If that. Probably could have been done quicker with more time spent.

Well, I did the same (picking nodes and killing mobs while chatting with friends on discord) but my results were significantly worse. And then there are people that are having problems getting their first box and tickets...
    It's like arguing that farming BSW/vMA inferno staves is not too bad when you got them on your 5th try.

PC/EU
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    OP, what are you spending your tickets on?
    precambria wrote: »
    They serve a purpose, to take up space, you can buy more space on the crown store in the form of storage chest, mount storage upgrades or BristleBoar. Thank you come again.

The above is the downside of having them be tradeable. Do you know how many apple-bobbing parts we have in our guild bank?

Whose fault is that?

Clean them out and tell your members to stop depositing them

No, we are going to keep them there so every new member from now till we hit 500 get an apple-bobbing cauldron. At least they stack.
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »

This event has 2 systems working: The fragment drop rate in the Strongboxes, and the ability to get additional Strongboxes.

I think there's enough evidence already that the ability to get additional Strongboxes is really ludicrous. So we can't count on that contributing at all.
    So all that usefully remains for assembling even one full collectible is the guaranteed single Strongbox per day.
    And I bet some people will somehow end up with zero fragments from those boxes at the end of the event. Even discounting that fringe case, I think many people will not have 7 fragments, much less all of them being for the same collectible.

Why I feel the event is still sort of acceptable is because players can make up the difference with the free daily tickets. Even if you got zero fragments, there are enough free tickets to fully assemble one of the collectibles. BUT obviously there aren't enough free tickets to go around for both collectibles as well as the indrik parts. And that feels like one aspect that really irks people.

Which would still be okay IF (big if) there isn't any Fear of Missing Out because the event is guaranteed to come back. We don't even have a really regular event schedule so I think we can only really count on the anniversary event and Life Day to show up.

So overall, I think the key aspect that needs to be changed is not so much the RNG, but the FOMO.

If there weren't a FOMO aspect to the event, if people weren't so desperate to get their collectibles, this whole event could be re-framed as a "show-up-and-get-free-stuff" event. Sure, you might not get a full collectible this time, but we're handing out freebies next year too.
    Hardly anyone mentions the fact that the Dailies are giving out double box rewards. That's part of the event too.

And of course, the lure of additional Strongboxes versus the reality of grinding them out -- that part was just a total fail in setting up expectations.

SWTOR events have zero FOMO. Some items that require event tokens can several turns at the events. Many have a reputation system that inches you up over several events to even qualify you to get some of the event items. But without FOMO panicking you into "get-it-now-or-miss-it-forever", it's fine.

You're not going to miss it forever, though. There have been no event items so far that haven't come back the following year.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You're not going to miss it forever, though. There have been no event items so far that haven't come back the following year.

That's a fairly safe bet.
    But they keep manufacturing new events and a year only has so much time.
    And I think no one expected all the indrik berries to show up at New Life last year. So the FOMO was strong with the indrik morphs all last year each quarter.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

i3kS8pE.png

That's funny, I farmed in Murkmire for 10 hours each of the first 4 days and only got a second box once.
    to get a box everyday spendingan an hour or two in Murkmire.. thats not what I've been hearing as typical.
    There have been no event items so far that haven't come back the following year.
    But there have been several events that have not been repeated since more than a year ago. You think they're going to have a Murkmire event again next year? Try 2022 more likely.
    Edited by PizzaCat82 on March 1, 2020 5:58AM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Another one of the I can't be bothered systems