The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Questing Companion

Iccotak
Iccotak
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I have seen this request enough times that I think it warrants a poll.
Should players doing overland zone content have an NPC companion that they can do adventures & quests with?

Questing Companion 85 votes

Yes, I would like an NPC character to travel with
43%
Cireous1mirgdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOErdbeermuffinNemesis7884nwilliams2107b16_ESONerouynwsmith97ub17_ESOMornaBaineRobo_HoboEasily_LostJacen_VeronAcadianPaladinTyrobagEverstormSeminolegirl1992deleted210304-002304karthrag_inakSchokoladeVahlyance 37 votes
No, this is an MMO - find a friend and/or a Guild
56%
haploeb14_ESODanikatZephiran23idkCaffeinatedMayhemDMuehlhausenkargen27peacenoteEnemy-of-ColdharbourTheShadowScoutLumsdenmlpod88kkSanctum74SnowZeniaNumber_51Freakin_HytteTheDominionRaddlemanNumber7PuzzlenutsLadyHeloise 48 votes
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much says it all.

Although I would like group questing to be rethought out. Right now it doesn’t work at all.
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not necessarily for questing or combat, but for general 24/7 companionship ... yes please. I'm stuck with Tythis and Nuzhimeh (I don't count those kittens), and I'd like to see some other faces once in a while.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    But I want npc´s for my house.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I say this as incorrigeable introvert sociophobe who spends 99.9% of the game solo because I am just too shy to reach out to people, and too wierd to have most people reach out to me in the ratio needed to get past my sociel anxiety and yet not scare me away...

And despite all that, I would want to rather find a friend or two I actually connect with to spend my ESO time with then have some NPC in tow.
  • Thokri
    Thokri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like non-combat one, or if it can engage in combat high defense (but no taunting) and very very low damage.

Mostly to see someone else in certain areas that are empty when you play bit weird times and could comment or tell interesting things.

Historian or someone reciting lore of places (not necessary need to be voice acted even) would be lovely.

Or someone cute that cheers you on in dark areas and in "lore way" carries your stuff. Just cosmetic backpack, regular inventory as usual but would love to be in roleplay mode to have squire/servant/humanoid mule.
    I mean after all I can have 205 heavy armors on my pocket.
    Edited by Thokri on January 31, 2020 2:07PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily for questing or combat, but for general 24/7 companionship ... yes please. I'm stuck with Tythis and Nuzhimeh (I don't count those kittens), and I'd like to see some other faces once in a while.

If "general companionship" is what you're looking for, npcs with limited scripts might not be a good choice. Anyone remember Lydia's lines? How about the random idle lines the continually crop up from all the npcs you pass by? "YOU stopped Alexandra Conele from stealing the Coral Heart", "Did you hear? Someone save King Casimir. Who was that hero, I'd like to buy him a beer", "You stopped Thallik from opening that portal" and over and over and over.

Also I have enough fun with the various kamikaze mice, rats, centipedes, rabbits, and squirrels that get between my character and the actually dangerous enemy that was the real target. Why add another uncontrolled npc to be a target?
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    If "general companionship" is what you're looking for, npcs with limited scripts might not be a good choice. Anyone remember Lydia's lines?
    I parked Lydia in my first house and married some random other NPC instead. So yes, I remember Lydia who really wasn't my type ;), but I didn't mind her dialog lines.
    I just want some more companions to choose from than just the current personal bankers (who also talk about Alexandra Conele once in a while) and traders.

Edited by Ye_Olde_Crowe on January 31, 2020 2:15PM
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called a Warden Bear or a Mr Huge Flappy Wings. Only difference is they aren't shaped like humanoids.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Questing and exploring the world with another player is a nightmare. It is an endless compromise. The activities of the other player are always super annoying. Even if it is my spouse - so we can talk freely during the game and discuss our next move. All people have different interests while doing quests or exploring the world. So a game becomes a total crap. I miss companions we had in TES5 Skyrim.

I wish I could travel with a totally cosmetic NPC. I wish he or she could talk - not a dialogue, but some comments on the world around us.
    Edited by myskyrim26 on January 31, 2020 2:27PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (which you left out): I don't like questing with anyone. I hate having someone along who wants to chat - and eventually they all do. I also hate having NPCs along that say stupid crap over and over.

I'm perfectly happy that this game allows viable soloing. Nope, can't solo dungeons (which is why I would love story mode with no rewards), but that's fine too. Well.... WBs either, though that was never my sort of combat anyway.
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NPC companion would annoy me.

1) would likely draw me in unnecessary aggro from mobs, causing me to get stuck in combat and slowing me down.
    2) would just be annoying and would repeat the same 5 lines every minute or so like tythis does
    3) overland is so easy there is no need for a travel companion to aid in combat
    4) it would likely get stuck attempting to traverse some of the places I go and I would often be unable to interact with it should I want to

If you are suggesting an optional companion for ppl who want it then by all means, but I don’t want it.
  • nwilliams2107b16_ESO
    nwilliams2107b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Companions was the best thing about SWTOR, so if it was similar with their own quest line then sign me up
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overland is quite easy and there's already a crapload of things following people around. If someone really wants companions, play a pet build or group some friends.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't like this idea so I chose "No" but don't agree with saying "go find a friend or guild" to the "yes" people. It seems a little like it is making assumptions about the reasons people do or don't want this. :p

I don't like this because I think it opens the door to romantic NPCs, which I think is creepy, or a whole companion system, which I would find annoying, and also because I think a lot of the quests and dialogue assume you are alone. It is one thing to allow people who are friends to quest and progress together (very, very glad we have this) however there are clearly quests designed to give you temporary NPC companions (during which they follow you and have appropriate dialogue) so I would rather we leave well enough alone for the quests when the NPCs speak to you as if you are a lone traveler.

This is another case to me where "let others have it if you don't like it" doesn't really apply, as we would likely all be subjected to seeing these NPCs. It drives me crazy enough when people forget to dismiss bankers and merchants. Let's not add additional NPCs that can remain outside of a quest's area.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Customizable and only available in pve content excluding dungeons and trials
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't need yet another thing standing around crafting tables and in general just getting in the way.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to choose answer that seems to be designed purposely to make me look like I am a hard right conservative. In other words, bad poll clearly designed to be biased.

The game is not designed or balanced for companions. It really is that simple. They are not needed. If a player is that challenged with overland content they need a companion they are really bad.

The reasons I have seen is I am lonely (in an MMORPG) or I want this game to be like my last game that had companions. Not worthy reasons. for Zos to redesign the game and bring in companions, a major effort.

My prediction is it will never happen. Good that it will not.
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Questing content is easy enough. The npc’s you get for different quests are generally useless anyways. I think this would be a waste of developer time and resources.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @idk
    I had to choose answer that seems to be designed purposely to make me look like I am a hard right conservative. In other words, bad poll clearly designed to be biased.
    That's not what it was designed at all to be..
    These are the two most common responses I have seen to this request about an NPC companion.
    There's definitely No bias to the first option haha
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just roll a pet sorc... :joy:
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    @idk
    These are the two most common responses I have seen to this request about an NPC companion.

My point is that’s not my response. The most important is that the game is not designed for it.

There would be a huge amount of work to add a companion system to begin with then Zos would have to revamp everything where that companion could be used which is another major task.

Basically the effort is not worth the results. If the game was built with companions in the first place it would be a different story.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    @idk

My point is that’s not my response. The most important is that the game is not designed for it.

There would be a huge amount of work to add a companion system to begin with then Zos would have to revamp everything where that companion could be used which is another major task.

Basically the effort is not worth the results. If the game was built with companions in the first place it would be a different story.

I agree - I think it would be a waste of resources for an MMO.
    Like I said in the OP I put up this poll because I have seen this request pop off in the forums enough times that I decided to gauge how people feel about it
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    @idk

I agree - I think it would be a waste of resources for an MMO.
    Like I said in the OP I put up this poll because I have seen this request pop off in the forums enough times that I decided to gauge how people feel about it

Actually, there are MMORPGs that do have companions but they were built to include them from the ground up. SWTOR and Neverwinter are great examples, but they were built that way.

There are a number of threads on the subject to provide such a guage. However, the reasons people give are not necessarily the ones Zos has. Besides the obvious that Zos clearly designed the to not include companions the time and effort it would take to retrofit the game for companions, as you agree, is not worth the effort.

So the primary reason is Zos just does not want them and the secondary rationale is still that they do not want them. Out of all the suggestions players have put forth this is probably one of the least likely to ever get serious consideration from Zos but it has nothing to do with this game being an MMORPG.
  • firstgirltwo
    Absolutely YES. Before ESO I used to play SWTOR where you had 5 companions back in 2012 (waaaaay more now ;D), but I enjoyed it so much. It was one of the reasons I started to play SWTOR - it was my first MMO, but I liked that there is storyline for your class and companions with their own quests. They made the game more fun, not to mention all the help they provided to noobs like me.

Speaking of companions...I could definitely use some NPCs for my houses (e.g. bards)!
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but rather than this being another crown store thing which clogs Tamriel with thousands of clones of another one or two NPCs, like the merchants and bankers, it should let us use one of our own characters.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many quests already implement this, to an extent.

It would be beyond awesome to be able to ask some of these temporary companions to keep adventuring with us.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would settle for a house Lydia, but a standing in the door way in my way while I am questing Lydia would be great too. Dare I ask for both?
  • wolf486
    wolf486
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would at least make the world feel a bit more alive again
    PC/NA
    Moved onto BDO and GW2 Skyrim, ATS/ETS2, ACNH and the overall goodness of single player games

RIP to the following:
    (DC) Tharbûrz gro-Glumgrog - Orsimer -Stamden (lvl 50)
    (AD) Vukz - Bosmer - Stamblade (lvl 50)