Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Suggestion] How about making crown trading a bit more official ?

Retromastery
Crown Trading is something that is now widespread and it keeps growing, plenty of guild propose that service and quite a few discord servers like TCE and WCE are proposing that service too, so there is definitely a demand when it comes to trading crown for gold and vice versa.

But unfortunately, the way you can make these trades are very far from ideal, it either involve a lot of trust or a lot of system in order for it to go well, it almost feels like some kind of awkward drug deal in a way, so I thought I could propose some suggestion on how it could be made more "official"

1) This is the way that would require the least amount of effort but will still helps tremendously, just give the possibility to trade crowns with another player DIRECTLY, not through a guild store or anything like that, just... give us the possibility to open a trade window that would allow a player to trade crowns or even crown store items with one another.

2) Make a system à la Warframe where you need to use some kind of terminal or "shrine" in order to trade crowns for gold, this would require a bit more effort but it would help even more since this system is even more secure than the first one or the current one

3) This is by far the system that would require the most effort but it would be PERFECT, basically a system à la Guild Wars 2 or Neverwinter where you could straight up exchange crowns for gold, but in order for this to actually happen, people needs to buy crowns in the first place and in reality what you are buying are crowns from other people.

If any of you guys have other system that would work, please feel free to leave a comment
Edited by Retromastery on January 19, 2020 12:20AM
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This gets brought up periodically, and I confess to having started a thread on it myself. Secure crown trading is long overdue.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt there will ever be official support. The initial statement did more to establish that trading in-game items, including items gifted from the crown store, was not prohibited by the TOS.

The crowns themselves are a lease that cannot be transferred, and the person who purchased them has the liability of ensuring they were purchased in compliance with all terms of their payment provider. Gifting all your crowns away does not remove that liability or transfer it to other players, which makes it a stickier issue and one all players should be mindful of when trading with people they do not know.
    signing off
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they missed the mark with not allowing people to at least COD crown items or something similar. I mean considering that their own support has to review and handle all the complaints when someone gets cheated I would of thought it'd be worth it to implement such a system.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    3) works really well in GW2 and gives the devs a small cut of every trade.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    3) works really well in GW2 and gives the devs a small cut of every trade.

Not to be pedantic, but the devs already get a 100% cut. All crowns are purchased with real money, ether from a paid sub or direct purchase. And of course the only place to spend crowns is the crown store so again, 100% cut. My personal opinion is that while security and features would be nice, they would result in worse exchange rates and less flexibility. This game is in milk mode, nothing will be done without a clear return on dev time.
    forever stuck in combat
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any of you guys have other system that would work, please feel free to leave a comment

Yes, remove the BS completely. If i want to gift something to someone i ll use a service like paypal. If there was a solid way to know i would donate two subscriptions to good people.

If one ignores Project Entropia then Diablo was the first game with this sort of bad and ugly design. Now the whole industry is full of this organised leeching. Hence it is good that this sort of business remains in the twilight.

Otherwise add a zenimax NPC to every capital city where everyone is able to trade gold<->crowns. Minimum unit 1 crown.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that while security and features would be nice, they would result in worse exchange rates and less flexibility.

This sums it up right here. No offense meant to ZOS crown store team but they are kind of stingy when it comes to their prices given they have a literal unlimited market; it's digital goods that have no manufacturing price and the time it took for their team to design and implement the crown goods is more than made up for in a few dozen purchase I'm sure.

I don't want ZOS getting anymore involved with the crown trading than just giving it their blessing, I'd rather take the scam and deal with customer support than run the risk of todays going rates becoming half of what they were due to ZOS making their own program and purposely lowering the price to force more crowns to be purchased.

Edit: I'd also like to add on that I haven't been scammed yet though I've only been operating through the well known player trading groups and not off random trade chat ads. There are even trade guilds out there that facilitate these crown sell trades and if you want to sell crowns I'd honestly suggest finding one of them rather than using the discord.
    Edited by Kittytravel on January 20, 2020 4:13PM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unpopular opinion:
    Get rid of crown store gifts. I am a profiteer my self, but I think this system is unhealthy for the community and game monetization in the long run. Introducing a ingame money to micro transaction trading system is a dodgy method to get away with overmonetization and potentially pay to win. It is suppressing criticism with the "but you can also earn everything by playing" argument. ZOS is constantly pushing monetization (Lootboxes, skyshards, skilllines, chapters excluded from ESO+, pets with bagspace, etc.) and this is a dangerous trend. I am fine with stuff like that in free to play games like Warframe, but not in a buy to play game with multiple payed expansions per year and a additional, if optional, subscription.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Retromastery
    This gets brought up periodically, and I confess to having started a thread on it myself. Secure crown trading is long overdue.

if anything, that's actually good, it might be annoying at first but it keeps this suggestion on the relevant side, I really want ZOS to do a system where we can trade crown items safely just for the sake of convenience really
  • Retromastery
    FakeFox wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion:
    Get rid of crown store gifts. I am a profiteer my self, but I think this system is unhealthy for the community and game monetization in the long run. Introducing a ingame money to micro transaction trading system is a dodgy method to get away with overmonetization and potentially pay to win. It is suppressing criticism with the "but you can also earn everything by playing" argument. ZOS is constantly pushing monetization (Lootboxes, skyshards, skilllines, chapters excluded from ESO+, pets with bagspace, etc.) and this is a dangerous trend. I am fine with stuff like that in free to play games like Warframe, but not in a buy to play game with multiple payed expansions per year and a additional, if optional, subscription.

hum... overmonetization ? it's already the case dude, there's no coming back from that one, the game is already monetized to high heaven and will probably get worse over time, ZOS don't need a scapegoat like a crown trading system to make it more profitable for them, they will either way... And keep in mind that paying for DLC's is a complete pain considering that they cost an arm and a leg to get them all, if anything that system would actually benefit the consumer greatly since it would give the option to those who don't want to spend a ton of money on DLC's or crown items to get them by playing, there is nothing wrong with that, ZOS still get 100% of the revenue since these crowns were already bought anyway

But still... that's just my opinion, there is a reason why crown trading is a thing, and there's a reason why it gets more and more popular, because there IS a high demand for it
  • Retromastery
    Ohtimbar wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that while security and features would be nice, they would result in worse exchange rates and less flexibility.

This sums it up right here. No offense meant to ZOS crown store team but they are kind of stingy when it comes to their prices given they have a literal unlimited market; it's digital goods that have no manufacturing price and the time it took for their team to design and implement the crown goods is more than made up for in a few dozen purchase I'm sure.

I don't want ZOS getting anymore involved with the crown trading than just giving it their blessing, I'd rather take the scam and deal with customer support than run the risk of todays going rates becoming half of what they were due to ZOS making their own program and purposely lowering the price to force more crowns to be purchased.

Edit: I'd also like to add on that I haven't been scammed yet though I've only been operating through the well known player trading groups and not off random trade chat ads. There are even trade guilds out there that facilitate these crown sell trades and if you want to sell crowns I'd honestly suggest finding one of them rather than using the discord.

I get where you're coming from and I would be perfectly fine if the system stays that way, sometimes it's better to let the community handle certain things without the big corporate getting involved
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be nice to jsut COD the gift?If they accept,they pay gold guaranteed,they decline it,you get refunded the crowns.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unpopular opinion:
    Get rid of crown store gifts. I am a profiteer my self, but I think this system is unhealthy for the community and game monetization in the long run. Introducing a ingame money to micro transaction trading system is a dodgy method to get away with overmonetization and potentially pay to win.

A lot of games have implemented gifting programs simply because they do not offer refunds on digital currency. If you don't want to spend that currency on yourself, you can spend it doing something nice for another player. Just another way to spend what you have already purchased.

So no, I don't see the system being eliminated completely.
    Edited by Acrolas on January 21, 2020 2:30AM
    signing off
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unpopular opinion:

Servers cost money to run.

Crown sales encourage the purchase of crowns.

Crowns mean income for zos (money).

Money gets spent on running the game.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown for gold trading system would result in gold sellers becoming more common in the game. A system like that would also drive up the cost of crowns per a gold piece. I heard it is around 100 gold per a crown; that price could easily be driven up to 200, 300 and even 700+ gold per a crown. I have seen similar systems in other games and it typically hurts the in game economy both at traders and for those wishing to buy/sell crowns.
  • Isskander
    Isskander
    ✭✭
    I can only agree to one thing as the game is based buy2play and in game second curency like crowns tradable would flush economy or insist to kill the game by forcly implementing p2w additions
    => Better to shut people "great ideas" how to ruin this game not affected by p2w by canceling all gifting possibility than inplementing stupid solutions of traiding curency that in fact add $ to let us play the game and have so many new contents.

People realy don't appreciate what they have ... - for thous i would recomend them go to kr p2w mmos and see how this kind of solutions makes the game crap .
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    3) This is by far the system that would require the most effort but it would be PERFECT, basically a system à la Guild Wars 2 or Neverwinter where you could straight up exchange crowns for gold, but in order for this to actually happen, people needs to buy crowns in the first place and in reality what you are buying are crowns from other people.

In the absence of this, I recommend Crown Promissory Notes.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6125916/#Comment_6125916
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Crown Promissory Notes in denominations of 100, 1000, and 10000 Crowns.
    -A Tradeable item that lets you redeem it for Crowns. This would replace gifting as the main (and insecure) way to "sell Crowns".
    -Not saleable to NPC vendors.
    -Redeemed by Destroying it -- so you can't "accidentally" destroy it, nor can you accidentally redeem it.
    -If you can't sell it, you can just redeem it yourself. Lossless.

Edited by Dusk_Coven on January 23, 2020 5:36AM
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes to making this all official, please.
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown for gold trading system would result in gold sellers becoming more common in the game. A system like that would also drive up the cost of crowns per a gold piece. I heard it is around 100 gold per a crown; that price could easily be driven up to 200, 300 and even 700+ gold per a crown. I have seen similar systems in other games and it typically hurts the in game economy both at traders and for those wishing to buy/sell crowns.
    Isskander wrote: »
    I can only agree to one thing as the game is based buy2play and in game second curency like crowns tradable would flush economy or insist to kill the game by forcly implementing p2w additions
    => Better to shut people "great ideas" how to ruin this game not affected by p2w by canceling all gifting possibility than inplementing stupid solutions of traiding curency that in fact add $ to let us play the game and have so many new contents.

People realy don't appreciate what they have ... - for thous i would recomend them go to kr p2w mmos and see how this kind of solutions makes the game crap .

The system of crown trading is already in the game; for almost two years now. March 18 2018 is when gifting became active in Update 18 and despite your words the economy is most certainly not crashed and the game is most certainly still not P2W.

Again I don't want this to ever become an "officiated" action by ZOS just blessed by them because I can not see a scenario where they don't purposely drive the "worth" of gold conversion to crowns down intentionally to force people to buy more crowns. ZOS isn't known for their generous crown business practices and you can look at 95% of the crown store to prove it. The best priced things in the store are skyshards at a charge of .50 a shard which is certainly worth the time it'd take you on a new character to get them anyhow.
    Edited by Kittytravel on January 24, 2020 5:59AM