On Thursday, from 11:00AM to 3:00PM EDT, the forums will be undergoing maintenance. During this maintenance, we do not expect the forums to be unavailable; however, there could be times when the navigation bar is unavailable.
Maintenance for the week of September 21
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Website for maintenance – September 24th, 11:00AM EDT (15:00 UTC) – 3:00PM EDT (19:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – September 24th, 11:00AM EDT (15:00 UTC) – 3:00PM EDT (19:00 UTC)
The Markarth DLC and Update 28 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts/

Update 25 Combat Adjustments

ZOS_BrianWheeler
ZOS_BrianWheeler
PvP & Combat Lead
Hello all!

We’d like to take some time to go over our goals for the next Update coming to ESO, and some of the more noteworthy changes you’ll see.

For Update 25, the Combat Team’s primary focus has been on performance improvements, particularly related to Block and item set proc conditions. While making these adjustments, we are also bringing any item sets affected into combat standards. As a reminder, the term “standards” means we are simply using consistent formulas that determine how much an ability should cost and how effective it should be based on various factors such as being an Area Effect, having an Over-Time effect, complexity of execution, etc. This process will continue in future updates for item sets.

Block is an ability that everyone can use at any time, which means it can create a lot of traffic for the server to handle. In our continued efforts to improve performance, we are adjusting how the ability works under the hood. You will still be able to do everything you used to with Block. What you’ll notice is animations will blend a bit differently out of a “block cancel”, but the effectiveness of an ability will remain and function the same; the ability will still fire when “block cancelled” but you won’t have any “dead time” before the global combat cooldown ends. This should also get rid of a few health desync issues when getting killing blows with abilities that have been triggered after a block cancel. By refactoring Block much the same way we did with Sprint in the previous Update, we expect the usage of that ability to be more performant.

Next, we’ve been focusing on bug fixes and conditional logic (item set and ability procs). Many abilities and item sets have to step through several requirements to fire their effect beyond their standard line of sight, cost, range, etc. From these changes, the conditions for procs will now work more reliably with their stated requirements. For example, Scathing Mage will no longer erroneously trigger from the first tick of any Damage over Time, and Reflective Scales will no longer work versus channeled effects such as Radiant Destruction. While making these fixes, many of the item sets affected have also been updated to fall in line with our item set or ability standards to ensure their overall power remains closer to their intended design.

Finally, we are addressing Magicka/Stamina sustain, especially in encounters where longer fights or prolonged damage in specific areas are required. With that in mind, we are reducing the cost of Area of Effect Damage over Time (AE DoT) abilities to reduce the pressure on your Magicka/Stamina while utilizing a rotation involving an AE DoT. This does result in a revised standard between Single Target DoTs and AE DoTs which we will be evaluating with the live game and on the PTS.

Again, our focus for U25 is primarily on performance updates and bug fixing which you’ll see in more detail when we publish the patch notes. We encourage everyone to hop on the PTS when we publish U25 to run through the adjustments and give us feedback!
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on January 14, 2020 3:18PM
Wheeler
ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
Staff Post
  • Moridin_82
    Moridin_82
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks 4 the update
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know, thanks @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Any changes to Cyrodill / PvP coming in U25?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus - VR16 (810CP) Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus - Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus - Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting for : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Luna Wolves
    Small Scale [PvP] : Random Reds
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus - L42 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets - CP160+ Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would complain about block cancel but what is the point when I don't have the sustain to use it in no-cp...

Anyways, this doesn't set my expectations very high, another wings nerf to start the next patch...Maybe that is a good thing though, setting my expectations right.

Edit: Will these block changes affect bash cancels too I wonder?
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on January 13, 2020 10:38PM
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too like playing an overly tanky patch that's fueled by overperforming defensive options while also supporting an overtuned offensive skill in accelerating drain.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What happened to doing over class passives? You guys are doing good work but there is other stuff that has been mentioned that we haven't heard anything about.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Alliance Warlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA
    ESOFam Community Discord: https://discord.gg/gMntMb8
    I record things for fun and for info
    https://youtube.com/channel/UC0WuLVnsW177WKkKcvNuuYA
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Block is an ability that everyone can use at any time, which means it can create a lot of traffic for the server to handle. In our continued efforts to improve performance, we are adjusting how the ability works under the hood.

Could you please elaborate on the reason this adjustment is necessary? Are people using it so often and what are the symptoms on the server that players are encountering?
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we please have clarification on the statement regarding block cancelling? You mention that after the block cancel there will be no delay before the end of the cooldown. Will the block animation carry until the end of the cooldown? Will the GCD get cancelled? After block cancelling there will be no delay for what?
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So...you're not going to limit healing to group members? Block is the big performance hit huh? Ok then.
    Daggerfall Covenant - Xbox One NA
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BrianWheeler could you please take a look at magblade group utilty? I would love to see some changes to soul tether ulti, increase the dmg based on how many players are hit by x %, I would also love to see lotus fan radius increased by a couple of meters so that it hit more targets, also I don't understand the logic behind soul tether having a cast time but not crescent swipe?
    Edited by Hamboot on January 14, 2020 1:34AM
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    the radius of lotus fan* not soul tether
  • Hamboot
    Hamboot
    ✭✭✭
    Hamboot wrote: »
    I would also love to see it's radius increased by a couple of meters so that it hit more targets, /quote] I was talking about lotus fan
  • brtomkin
    brtomkin
    ✭✭✭
    many of the item sets affected have also been updated to fall in line with our item set or ability standards to ensure their overall power remains closer to their intended design.

Buff Ashen Grip?

PS4 NA: Pickmans__Model, CP 1300+
  • Captain_Slaymore
    Going out on a ledge here with asking why Block is being examined as a performance issue when i have been in a group of 24 around a resource flag and all of us were blocking at the same time to survive an incoming bomb blade and not a single person experienced a hiccup, but running onto a porch filled with pet sorcs each with multiple pets out, glowing skins on, massive animations from siege, dots and skill and half the group drops/freezes/desyncs. I think you have bigger problems than block at this point.

Also, Why on Gods earth are you still making new sets? We have been told that there is going to be an unused image / item purge. Well, if that's true, at this point with min / max meta builds being the rage, 80% or your armor sets fall into that category yet we get them for killing everything. How about this? Just drop basic armor in the different levels for breaking down and instead of sets, have all sets craftable but you can only get proc traits from the dungeons / trials / arenas etc. It would eliminate so much waste. If i want a set that gives me all stam and procs a volcano under people, give the tools to do it, make running a dungeon enjoyable because i can get the traits to do it instead of the random drop and hope for the best BS.

If you do what you have always done, you get what you have always got. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity. So, what you have always done has always resulted in barely fix one thing and breaking other things then a reset next patch. Stop doing what you have always done please.