The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dungeon Finder already broken. ROFL

krachall
krachall
✭✭✭✭✭
Seriously, ZOS, I bet if you contacted the dev teams at any of the dozen+ MMOs that have a working dungeon finder and paid them enough, they'd fix this for you. It's been 5 years...you aren't fixing this on your own.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to understand that some things can not be fixed. So many think all tech problems can be fixed with enough effort. Sometimes code is just bad code and to fix it would require too much.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    You need to understand that some things can not be fixed. So many think all tech problems can be fixed with enough effort. Sometimes code is just bad code and to fix it would require too much.
    Yes. That's why the correct thing to to in those cases, is to throw it in the bin and start over from scratch.
  • mav1234
    mav1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    queueing was fine yesterday, and broken today. wooooooooooooooooo...
  • Pyvos
    Pyvos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major_Lag wrote: »
    Yes. That's why the correct thing to to in those cases, is to throw it in the bin and start over from scratch.

Ironically, that's literally what they just did with the Activity / Dungeon Finder. They rewrote it from the ground up.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Nonsense.
    By your logic, every code would be irreplaceable and has to remain intact and untouched until the end of time.
    Code might be bad, but it can be exchanged, it can be rewritten, it can be optimized. And as a vital element of serverwide events, there is no such thing as "require too much". Especially since it's a feature that somehow works in about every other MMO out there since 2002.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Vostorn
    Vostorn
    ✭✭✭✭

You mean a TESO 2 ?
  • Ode2Order
    Ode2Order
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think they want us to redownload the game in a few weeks? They have rewritten a lot of code.
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder how long will it take to fix if they open source that part.
    Edited by TempPlayer on January 8, 2020 6:56AM
  • caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ode2Order wrote: »
    Why do you think they want us to redownload the game in a few weeks? They have rewritten a lot of code.

Let's hope this will fix a lot of problems for once and for all :)
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it comes to group finder, I gave up long ago. I guess soloing FG I is my only option for the undaunted event. Oh well...

Btw. It seems to me that every new dungeon DLC is kinda a waste of resources. What is the point, if many people wont buy it since group finder is constantly broken ? Those dungeons are not solo-able...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 8, 2020 2:08PM
  • Diffused
    Diffused
    ✭✭✭

If it is That Broken just remove it from the game. No need to keep it there because maybe it will work.
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fix is being implemented in tonight's maintenance
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recent wrote: »
    The fix is being implemented in tonight's maintenance

So they say ;)
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This event gonna be a disaster. GF has been messed up lately af. Only way to get anything done this event is to pre form or solo. Hopefully they don't cancel this time.
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :star: why you stay on sinking ship :star:

this forum could be combined into book and titled : "HOW NOT TO MANAGE GOOD MMO GAME"

ps. now i back to forum and laught at things previously making me mad =)
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant enter queue, cant lease queue. In the queue for more then 30 minutes as tank... @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    Cant enter queue, cant lease queue. In the queue for more then 30 minutes as tank... @ZOS_GinaBruno

Update: 4-man group isn't working either.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Update: 4-man group isn't working either.

L9JN4WAkTTGLV-szFX8THA.png
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They've redesigned how the game is packaged. Chances are, a lot of the code is more or less the same as it was before, just with unused snippets removed (easy to do with any editor).

It's a bit like changing from a .rar to a .zip, the contents are more or less going to be the same, just the way they're compressed and the final format of the file changes.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So it CAN be fixed, they just don't want to commit and continue to be crippled?

Anyway, hoping this big re-download is basically them having committed to a sweeping fix and code housecleaning.

Edited by Dusk_Coven on January 8, 2020 10:37AM
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »

They've redesigned how the game is packaged. Chances are, a lot of the code is more or less the same as it was before, just with unused snippets removed (easy to do with any editor).

It's a bit like changing from a .rar to a .zip, the contents are more or less going to be the same, just the way they're compressed and the final format of the file changes.

That's exactly how I understood this wonderful future performance update is supposed to work. I don't know how the rumours started that anything whatsoever is being rewritten. I only remember that unused assets are being deleted, with this being the reason for the repackacking and redownloading of the entire client. In addition, inactive accounts are supposed to be moved to a different storage spot, so their data wouldn't be loaded every single time we log in, load a character or have to suffer a loading screen. I don't know if this was on the map for the next update or for one much further in the future, though.
    Did I miss anything?
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    mav1234 wrote: »
    queueing was fine yesterday, and broken today. wooooooooooooooooo...

No, it wasn't, at least for some of us. I started with the problem on Sunday, 5/1, several, perhaps many have started with issues around the same time. I raised a ticket but Zos responded with the usual coonrction recommends, recycle router, port forwarding, virus exception and rename game folder. I also renamed and replaced the add on folder, all to no avail
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    joerginger wrote: »
    jcm2606 wrote: »

That's exactly how I understood this wonderful future performance update is supposed to work. I don't know how the rumours started that anything whatsoever is being rewritten. I only remember that unused assets are being deleted, with this being the reason for the repackacking and redownloading of the entire client. In addition, inactive accounts are supposed to be moved to a different storage spot, so their data wouldn't be loaded every single time we log in, load a character or have to suffer a loading screen. I don't know if this was on the map for the next update or for one much further in the future, though.
    Did I miss anything?

Only the patching overhaul works this way, everything else is a refactor and rewrite of existing systems, including code.

The updated group finder is a rewrite of the existing group finder, behind-the-scenes combat changes are rewrites and refactors of combat-related code, memory management overhaul is a rewrite and refactor of existing code to be more efficient in memory usage, and the account database cold storage is a refactor of the existing account database solution.

People probably saw that everything else was just rewrites and refactors, and assumed that the patching overhaul was, too.
    Edited by jcm2606 on January 8, 2020 11:17AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »

Nonsense.
    By your logic, every code would be irreplaceable and has to remain intact and untouched until the end of time.
    Code might be bad, but it can be exchanged, it can be rewritten, it can be optimized. And as a vital element of serverwide events, there is no such thing as "require too much". Especially since it's a feature that somehow works in about every other MMO out there since 2002.
    He is right regarding some code like the core systems in ESO.
    However dungeon finder is pretty much an separate module who was added later, eso did not have an dungeon finder at launch.

Its also an far simpler system that than many other modules in the game.
    System has two main jobs, the first is to assemble an group of players based on their role and wanted and enabled dungeons.
    The second is to port the group into the dungeon.
    System also let you find replacements and give reward for random dungeons.

The first weird part is that dungeon and BG shares the finder functionality. if dungeons are overloaded like the event battlegrounds also suffer. Same the other way.

The second weird part is the phantom queue who appears to be back. For some reason if you are queued you might not get an an invite even as tank, however if you leave queue and re-queue this is fixed and you also keep your place in queue who is nice for DD, however I suspect that for many someone refused to queue its another player waiting for the invite.

As the load increases you get more of this errors and more and more players getting piled up in the queue something who fast increase the load on the finder as more and more players wait in the queue rater than getting sent their way into dungeons. Once in the dungeons they are just registered as in dungeon so group can find replacement and getting random dungeon reward at the end.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gina posted this the other day

"Hi everyone,

With the recent implementation of several fixes for the Activity Finder, we’re inviting everyone to try out the updated tool on the live servers. To help us reach the desired population and Activity Finder load, we are re-enabling the Undaunted Event from Thursday, January 9 at 10:00AM EST through Monday, January 13 at 10:00AM EST. We believe these latest fixes will allow for a better experience, but we’ll be closely monitoring performance throughout the event in case of further issues.

Thank you for your patience throughout this process and for helping us ensure that the overall Activity Finder is improved."

Well I'm not sure if everyone has been stress testing it or not, but whether it's just normal use or some strain has been applied since your request for people to help test it, which ever is true, the dungeon finder still seems to be broken or not working fully. This does not fill me with confidence for the event tomorrow.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Something new for me yesterday:
    1. I queued for a random dungeon
    2. People were found and a group was built
    3. Instantaneously, I could read a message for a fraction of a second:
      "you or somebody of your group left the group"
    Then I was out of the group, out of the queue and could not start a new search...
    At first, it felt like the regular penalty. But after reloading I could queue again.
    Sometimes I have no idea what really happens in Dungeon Finder...

Edited by BalticBlues on January 8, 2020 12:55PM
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be working now, tank queue and instant success
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    grkkll wrote: »

Can confirm.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • ItMustBeThursday
    ItMustBeThursday
    ✭✭✭
    Ghostbane wrote: »
    grkkll wrote: »

Can confirm.

Not working on PC-NA still