Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Gamepad on pc

• WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My story goes like this.

I never liked a xbox or ps4 controller for ESO fully, its not precise enough and not enough buttons for everything I wanna do.
    But I did love the comfort of the controller and the ease of use, no need to move your hands at all.You can just sit back and enjoy. But I just could not do without the control and precision of the mouse.

Then...

I never liked the mouse and keyboard combo fully because you have to be in weird position for the keyboard and you jump all over the keyboard to get to a bit awkwardly placed keys... say what you like but keyboards are optimal for typing not gaming.
    But after sometime I found the right mouse with a lot of customizable buttons.

So I wanted the Comfort and easy of use with no hand movement from the Controllers and the Precision and ability to customize a lot of buttons of the keyboard and mouse.

And then I found a Match made in Heaven!

I swear that the best Set up I have tried is the Logithec G13 programmable gameboard + Logitech G600 or Razor Naga gaming mouse. Every single buttons is programmable on both and you can also add macros if you wish.

The mouse has around 20 buttons you can customize to your liking and makes the use of your thumbs and other fingers easy to reach with minimal effort.

The Gameboard makes moving with WSDA or if you prefer with the joystick, quite relaxing because the design is made with ease of access to all other buttons around it effortless. But this is where everything changes: the 2 programmable buttons next to the joystick (see picture)
    The reason being because for Swap to weapon 1 and Swap to Weapon 2 is set up to be pressed with the Thumb on the
    2 Programmable Buttons next to the joystick : (Ctrl+ AltZoom) button and (Alt Pan) Button example on the lower picture.

With this combo I can sit in comfort with just a mouse pad and play on the big screen or the desktop.

Best of Both Worlds !

The second picture is just to show the buttons layout and the 2 specific buttons I am talking about, ignore the setup of the keys on it, its not mine.

I played games with the Controller and K+M but after this set up... never going back.

logitech_g13_keypad_features_22557.jpg

g13-layouttemplate-100904a.jpg

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Been using xbox 1 wired controller for 3 years now, and I have everything mapped to it including dressing room, I don't have to use my keyboard and mouse for anything except selling stuff with TTC. Aui works with the controller UI, and so does potion maker, so I'm golden. And I've been duelling and winning on pc EU too with my newest set up, people get flabbergasted when I tell them I'm using a controller 😅
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Is anyone using both the Xbos elite controller and the Rewasd program? I recently got an Xbox elite controller to use with Rewasd (so I could have things like potions and bash on the back paddles) but I can't make it work with ESO: whenever remap on Rewasd is open, I can't do anything with the controller, I can't move etc, but when it's closed I can use the controller to play the game, but then I don't have remapped keybinds etc. I even did a game repair but for some reason the gamepad mode won't work while the remapping is on--any ideas?

I used REWASD with an Elite 2. You need to bind your Xbox keys to keyboard keybinds. Pretend your Xbox controller is a gaming mouse and treat it like that when binding your keys.

Thank you for the reply! My problem is that whenever I try to bind something, the controller will not work on the game. It's weird, it works fine when remap is off, but whenever I try to change something in a configuration, the game will not accept input from the controller, as if gamepad is turned off...

So once you select which rewasd profile you want to use, then save all of your keybinds etc. You have to enable or essentially "turn it on", otherwise the game won't receive any inputs. There should be a "remap" button, you click that then reWASD starts transmitting your inputs as if it were a mouse, and the game should then be able to detect it.

I don't understand why you would use an add-on when you can remap everything in game efficiently.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't use the official controller support.
    I made my own Xpadder profile which I've been using and improving upon since 2013.
    Xpadder is better in that it allows button combinations that ZOS's code seems to ignore

Example: I want A button to be Ability#1, but I want Left bumper + A button to be Mount
    You can't do this combo with official controller support!

But you CAN do this with Xpadder!

Yes you can. I have one of my potion hotkeyed to lb + a , same with lb + X, lb +y, and lb + b, and I'm using the in game controller ui
    Edited by TheFM on December 24, 2019 11:02AM
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing with a PS4 controller since One Tamriel. I much prefer it to KB/M and find it works really well with the reaction-based action combat. I still use a KB/M for FPS and "turret" MMOs though.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best tank I knew in ESO used a controller on PC. The only tank I could solidly rely on to not die before my half tank/dd did. He used to run 3-in-1 vet dungeon challenger runs with no healer (4th would be a payed/boosted character who wanted the skin), to give you an idea what sort of level he was playing at.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Jaxious79
    Jaxious79
    ✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »
    My story goes like this.

I never liked a xbox or ps4 controller for ESO fully, its not precise enough and not enough buttons for everything I wanna do.
    But I did love the comfort of the controller and the ease of use, no need to move your hands at all.You can just sit back and enjoy. But I just could not do without the control and precision of the mouse.

Then...

I never liked the mouse and keyboard combo fully because you have to be in weird position for the keyboard and you jump all over the keyboard to get to a bit awkwardly placed keys... say what you like but keyboards are optimal for typing not gaming.

So I wanted the Comfort and easy of use with no hand movement from the Controllers and the Precision and ability to customize a lot of buttons of the keyboard and mouse.

I swear that the best Set up I have tried is the Logithec G13 programmable gameboard + Logitech G600 or Razor Naga gaming mouse. Every single buttons is programmable on both and you can also add macros if you wish.

The mouse has around 20 buttons you can customize to your liking and makes the use of your thumbs and other fingers easy to reach with minimal effort.

The Gameboard makes moving with WSDA or if you prefer with the joystick, quite relaxing because the design is made with ease of access to all other buttons around it effortless. But this is where everything changes: the 2 programmable buttons next to the joystick (see picture)
    The reason being because for Swap to weapon 1 and Swap to Weapon 2 is set up to be pressed with the Thumb on the
    2 Programmable Buttons next to the joystick : (Ctrl+ AltZoom) button and (Alt Pan) Button example on the lower picture.

With this combo I can sit in comfort with just a mouse pad and play on the big screen or the desktop.

Best of Both Worlds !

The second picture is just to show the buttons layout and the 2 specific buttons I am talking about, ignore the setup of the keys on it, its not mine.

I played games with the Controller and K+M but after this set up... never going back.

When I first joined ESO on pc I was using my xbox elite controller. I had the G13 and Naga and figured I would try them out and loved the setup. I stopped playing ESO for awhile did some mods to my desk/PC and currently playing eso with m&k cause I cant get my G13 to work. I REALLY need to spend some time and get it working again. Thanks for the motivation lol!
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My story goes like this.

Then...

Best of Both Worlds !

I used to use an n52 pad that was similar, it worked great. The only issue I had was circle straffing sometimes.

Forward on the mouse, turning and staffing allowed you to circle strafe while moving forward a bit in Warhammer but it didn’t work in Rift. Does it work in ESO?

These days I’m lazy so like the x-box controller, I don’t feel the need to be super leetz in pvp so prefer comfort, but I’d probably be better if I switched back.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 24, 2019 6:43PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    PRX and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is anyone using both the Xbos elite controller and the Rewasd program? I recently got an Xbox elite controller to use with Rewasd (so I could have things like potions and bash on the back paddles) but I can't make it work with ESO: whenever remap on Rewasd is open, I can't do anything with the controller, I can't move etc, but when it's closed I can use the controller to play the game, but then I don't have remapped keybinds etc. I even did a game repair but for some reason the gamepad mode won't work while the remapping is on--any ideas?

I used REWASD with an Elite 2. You need to bind your Xbox keys to keyboard keybinds. Pretend your Xbox controller is a gaming mouse and treat it like that when binding your keys.

Thank you for the reply! My problem is that whenever I try to bind something, the controller will not work on the game. It's weird, it works fine when remap is off, but whenever I try to change something in a configuration, the game will not accept input from the controller, as if gamepad is turned off...

So once you select which rewasd profile you want to use, then save all of your keybinds etc. You have to enable or essentially "turn it on", otherwise the game won't receive any inputs. There should be a "remap" button, you click that then reWASD starts transmitting your inputs as if it were a mouse, and the game should then be able to detect it.

@Goregrinder Thanks a lot for the help! What happened was every time I would go to the game, rewasd profile panel would swap to slot 2, which is empty, so that's why I couldn't use the controller. Now I just have to figure out how to remove double inputs but I'm getting there! :sweat_smile: Thanks again!

Yeah I have noticed reWASD does weird things like that, it will deselect profiles or switch to one you aren't actually trying to use. But WHEN it works, it's dope bro
  • kydot12
    kydot12
    How do I create a hotkey to swap between Pad and Mouse??
    MagPlar main. EU.
    Darkflare, Soul Assault, Jesus beam >
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TheFM wrote: »

I don't understand why you would use an add-on when you can remap everything in game efficiently.

Because I swap between Mouse and Keyboard, and an Elite 2 controller. The y and z axis thresh hold is locked when you turn on gamepad mode, so aiming and turning is SLOOOOOOOW with a controller. Also the game does not properly see all 4 paddles as separate keybinds, but rewasd does. Gamepade mode also forces you to use the console UI, which I hate.

With rewads, I bind all my normal keyboard keys to every button on the elite 2 controller, and adjust the camera movement to make it waaay faster. And all I have to do is turn on the controller, launch rewasd, load it's profile, and launch the game. Normal UI, none of my in game keybinds changed.
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a racing wheel
  • Sgtmeg
    Sgtmeg
    ✭✭✭
    Have nothing much to add since most people have already mentioned the cumbersome controls and a bit of skill lag. Makes weaving a little trickier too but if you're not going for really impressive numbers it's not a big deal. I stick to it because of a shoulder injury that makes using a mouse and keyboard very painful. It's not perfect but it works and it'll get you through any content you want to do if you get used to it.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaxious79 wrote: »
    My story goes like this.

Then...

Best of Both Worlds !

When I first joined ESO on pc I was using my xbox elite controller. I had the G13 and Naga and figured I would try them out and loved the setup. I stopped playing ESO for awhile did some mods to my desk/PC and currently playing eso with m&k cause I cant get my G13 to work. I REALLY need to spend some time and get it working again. Thanks for the motivation lol!

Usualy if you just get the logitch software its all you need, unless your G13 is kaput

You can still find it online for 70$ or 500$+ brand new ....

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025298053
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a PS4 controller, for me the xbox controller felt clunky. The key binding is necessary if you turn gamepad monde on. But in all honesty i hate the slow aiming speed you get using the gamepad.
  • morrowjen
    morrowjen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious how many of you use a gamepad,whether it be Xbox controller,off brand gamepad, or whatever else, to play ESO on PC? And why?

I have used an Xbox controller to play it a while back, and I do enjoy playing that way, but found the menus to be a bit cumbersome compared to mouse and keyboard menus. So I mostly use mouse and keyboard now.

(Please no arguing, there is no right and wrong answer here)

I use an XBox One controller with BUI installed. BUI is a must have, imo, to navigate the menus.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because I swap between Mouse and Keyboard, and an Elite 2 controller. The y and z axis thresh hold is locked when you turn on gamepad mode, so aiming and turning is SLOOOOOOOW with a controller. Also the game does not properly see all 4 paddles as separate keybinds, but rewasd does. Gamepade mode also forces you to use the console UI, which I hate.

With rewads, I bind all my normal keyboard keys to every button on the elite 2 controller, and adjust the camera movement to make it waaay faster. And all I have to do is turn on the controller, launch rewasd, load it's profile, and launch the game. Normal UI, none of my in game keybinds changed.

It is not locked, you just simply go to the usersettings.txt file and edit it to 2.000000000, and then its normal speed. No addon required, and you can turn on an option to switch between gamepad and keyboard with simply using one or the other, so no keybind required. I have been able to remap every button, dunno why you cant O.o.

Short video on how to fix the default absurdly slow turning speed.

https://youtu.be/Nuy2LFTw1HY

Also this is my remap, i left the triggers cuz i like using them as is.

78749608_1212556695799812_4323341469160046592_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlcJIneMyuejziO_whMZ4hXkEBmsb4-Gs_JTzc9cUfFqhHMrMsIfE3SuTrPnvTl2Wk&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.xx&oh=1a589935b9bc504e932fb9f996a933e5&oe=5E71227A
    Edited by TheFM on December 26, 2019 3:30AM
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sgtmeg wrote: »
    Have nothing much to add since most people have already mentioned the cumbersome controls and a bit of skill lag. Makes weaving a little trickier too but if you're not going for really impressive numbers it's not a big deal. I stick to it because of a shoulder injury that makes using a mouse and keyboard very painful. It's not perfect but it works and it'll get you through any content you want to do if you get used to it.

You can weave just as quick on gamepad. You will only have a MINISCULE amount of ability lag if you use wireless, if you use wired there is absolutely no difference. Tested extensively on a razer and logitech mmo mouse and basic mouse
    Edited by TheFM on December 26, 2019 3:32AM
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    I play ESO on a projector (~83" display) from a sofa, so I use the gamepad. Logitech F710.

I have a wireless KB+M also, and they're always around when playing, but it seems that their range becomes unreliable starting at about the edge of the couch. Which is kind of pathetic, actually; not even 10 feet. So maybe I need recommendations for an actual good wireless KB+M (nothing crazy). When I play games that really don't work with a controller, like the first Dragon Age or Fallout, I have to sit forward in an uncomfortable way. On the plus side, it limits my playtime...

I started out playing DOS games with KB+M, so it's not like I wouldn't go back, but it's not practical right now (I guess technically I started on the Commodore VIC-20 with a joystick, but yeah). If I can use joy2key, I do (did this for both Morrowind and VtM: Bloodlines; the "shift" functionality a few others mentioned really comes in handy). But you lose some things that games with built-in controller support have, like "A" being loot/interact/jump, which it was in PSO as well as this game.

Edit: and I can't really do wired KB+M; I already have 5 cables going across the floor in a channel (2 speaker, 2 for headset, 1 HDMI) and it won't fit more of them. Went for a wired headset as none seemed to have batteries that lasted very long, and the last thing I need is it going out in the middle of a raid. Even rechargeable batteries in the controllers can last me weeks between swaps.
    Edited by bakthi on December 26, 2019 1:00PM
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Xbox Elite controller. I have tried to use mouse and keyboard and just can't get use to it. Before it was everything was for right handed people and needed to rebind keys to play and then some games couldn't rebind keys so stuck with Xbox for almost 2 decades.

A few months ago I made a post on how people use mouse and keyboard and I just can't do it. So much more fun for me with a controller in my hand that I just stick with it.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    I use a Xbox Elite controller. I have tried to use mouse and keyboard and just can't get use to it. Before it was everything was for right handed people and needed to rebind keys to play and then some games couldn't rebind keys so stuck with Xbox for almost 2 decades.

A few months ago I made a post on how people use mouse and keyboard and I just can't do it. So much more fun for me with a controller in my hand that I just stick with it.

I always like surprising people after duels, " would you believe i play on controller ? " and they always are like waaaaaaat? xD
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I always like surprising people after duels, " would you believe i play on controller ? " and they always are like waaaaaaat? xD

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The primary motivation for me to leave gamepads behind was simply because I got sick of sticks wearing out.

It's not a comment on how good they are. Just pure device lifespan. Way I see it a gamepad simply cannot last as long as a good mouse and keyboard.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The primary motivation for me to leave gamepads behind was simply because I got sick of sticks wearing out.

It's not a comment on how good they are. Just pure device lifespan. Way I see it a gamepad simply cannot last as long as a good mouse and keyboard.

I have noticed the sticks on the xb1 controller are far less resilient as the 360 ones.🤨
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a game pad because every keyboard I have ever tried to use that is not a split keyboard is annoyingly small to try to use for gaming. By using a controller, it is much easier and more comfortable to use.
    My ring size is 13.5.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't that be rubbing salt into the wound? LMFAO. Kidding aside, that is awesome. Love it.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • morph1976
    morph1976
    I find with the pad, weaving is clunky, sometimes have to press shards proc twice before it fires
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xbox controller, due to coming from console.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    morph1976 wrote: »
    I find with the pad, weaving is clunky, sometimes have to press shards proc twice before it fires

I played for like 2 years on keyboard and mouse, I can tell u with certainty it's the exact same thing happening on both. I even tested it just an hour ago on a boss in cyro. Both are firing slow AF and lagging behind hard. And after a few weaves it's like the servers can't keep up and slow everything down
  • Fermian
    Fermian
    ✭✭✭
    Playing on xbox atm and i like playing with the controller. If i would play on pc again I would definitely consider the use of my xbox controller. But the main issue for me is using chat while playing.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Used to Play using PS4 controller but Stopped Playing ESO from last 4 months.
This discussion has been closed.