The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Gamepad on pc

BisDasBlutGefriert
BisDasBlutGefriert
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm curious how many of you use a gamepad,whether it be Xbox controller,off brand gamepad, or whatever else, to play ESO on PC? And why?

I have used an Xbox controller to play it a while back, and I do enjoy playing that way, but found the menus to be a bit cumbersome compared to mouse and keyboard menus. So I mostly use mouse and keyboard now.

(Please no arguing, there is no right and wrong answer here)

Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 24, 2022 10:08AM
~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've recently started using an Xbox Elite 2 controller to play ESO in bed when I don't feel like sitting at my desk. I don't play with gamepad mode enabled, I use rewasd to just map all of the controller buttons to keyboard and mouse keybinds, so I can swap between both mouse and keyboard or controller whenever I want, and also retain the standard UI with addons.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a PS4 controller because of preference, ergonomics [snip]. Edit; and I use BetterUI for a vastly improved inventory for gamepad users.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 24, 2022 10:05AM
    forever stuck in combat
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes...xbox controller on couch in front of a 4k 60 inch tv...would never go back to mouse and a small monitor
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use an x-box controller, nothing fancy. I remapped synergies to the down cross and ultimates to the right cross.

I’m slow to Ult and hit synergies, but whatever, it’s comfortable.

Biggest downside is you need to block for a little before dodge rolling.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 12, 2019 6:18PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a bit cumbersome. I was using an Xbox Controller for a good six months when I first got the game at the year's start.

But it's certainly a great way to play regardless.

It does have one or two limitations, but nothing truly serious.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Xbox controller. Easier for me to play. I do have a hotkey to switch to keyboard and mouse when needed.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Controller for gameplay, k/m for everything else. Hotkeyed "0" on the numpad to swap between them.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a Razer Wolverine something something. The default weapon swap and potion buttons are annoying (up d-pad and left d-pad; especially bad in PvP when you have to stop running to weapon swap or something), so I remapped them to the extra two bumpers that I have. No issues LA weaving or anything, but as someone noted a few posts back, roll dodging can be annoying and every so often I'll just jump backwards while holding block when I mean to roll dodge, which sometimes ends poorly.

I also toggle K/M on and off for certain things... super convenient.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use an xbox controller for two reasons:

1. I have Carpal's in both hands and the controller causes far less pain and stiffness than m & k.

2. I play in the livingroom in a very comfy chair with the game on my tv. Far better than sitting at a desk, IMO.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use an xbox controller for most things, but I made a hotkey to swap to k/m for guild bank, mail. etc since the gamepad UI for those sucks.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used one for Fishing during the brief time that I thought about going for master angler. I abandoned both. Haha

I also spent a few sessions a while back trying to parse on a dummy with one. I know people can do it, but I could just not get the hang of it.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i use a PowerA xbox1 controller with an adjustment to the user setting file to increase camera speed (to match mouse performance) and hotkey a keyboard/gamepad function for menus it works just fine

for those interested
    look for this string in /Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/Live/Usersettings

SET GamepadSensitivityThirdPerson.2 "2.85999990"
    this is my current setting much better than the default gamepad camera speed
    make sure to save a copy of your user settings before making any changes
    Edited by Alienoutlaw on December 12, 2019 7:09PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyboard and Mouse.

Pros All My games have roughly the exact same control layout. And, i can have more commands.

I have used a controller on some action or similar games and my hand cramps up after a short period of time.

I can also tell when some has a controller as their avatar can not walk on a straight line. Its like the character is a bit tipsy. Mine bounce off the walls when i use a controller.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just got a steel series stratus duo and I'm happy with it so far. Before I was using the Logitech cheap $20 controller which I had gotten on sale for like $12. The logitech one works fine to begin, but wears out after a year of steady use. I agree that using the guild store is a pain with the controller UI (well, it's more that the add-ons don't work with the UI), so I swap back to KBM for that. I use the second default controls, though.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never learnt how to play without it, since I ported from Xbox many moons ago.
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Main character: Healer, CP 1300+,
    Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

History is a story written by the victors, who often paint themselves the best of lights.
  • BisDasBlutGefriert
    BisDasBlutGefriert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ohtimbar I'd definitely like to try using my Xbox controller again, thanks for the referral to check out BetterUI. Cause I run wireless mouse and keyboard from my lounge spot, using my big screen TV from about 8ft away.

@phileunderx2 excellent idea having a swap key!!

@Nestor I'm sort of the same way, have close to the same k&m layout for most of my games. I like to use the arrow keys, Numpad keys, and the right side edge keys like Rshift,Ralt, that sort of deal. I also use the home,end, pgdown, and such above the arrow keys for different menus and whatever. It's weird to most people, but being a long time Mason, my hands can't jump from wsad to the 9,0,-,+ keys very fast anymore.

@Alienoutlaw actually, I'm definitely going to have to check that out to see if it flows as nicely as a mouse does. Thank you for that info!! Much appreciated!!!
    ~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @BisDasBlutGefriert i find the controllers with the extra buttons on the grips work nice for bar swapping and quick slot, also in regards to the setting once you have set it do not change it in the in game settings or it will reset
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use the official controller support.
    I made my own Xpadder profile which I've been using and improving upon since 2013.
    Xpadder is better in that it allows button combinations that ZOS's code seems to ignore

Example: I want A button to be Ability#1, but I want Left bumper + A button to be Mount
    You can't do this combo with official controller support!

But you CAN do this with Xpadder!
    Edited by MisterBigglesworth on December 13, 2019 12:47AM
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I made my own Xpadder profile which I've been using an improving upon since 2013.
    Xpadder is better in that it allows button combinations that ZOS's code seems to ignore, like if you wanted Right bumper to be dodge roll but you want Left bumper + Right bumper to be Sprint, well, ZOS's fancy official code just straight up ignores you and make you dodge roll anyway. This is never a problem with my own custom Xpadder profile.

you can remap in the control section of settings
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made my own Xpadder profile which I've been using an improving upon since 2013.
    Xpadder is better in that it allows button combinations that ZOS's code seems to ignore, like if you wanted Right bumper to be dodge roll but you want Left bumper + Right bumper to be Sprint, well, ZOS's fancy official code just straight up ignores you and make you dodge roll anyway. This is never a problem with my own custom Xpadder profile.

you can remap in the control section of settings

You're not telling me anything i don't already know.
    Anyway, I edited my example to make it more clear.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I made my own Xpadder profile which I've been using and improving upon since 2013.
    Xpadder is better in that it allows button combinations that ZOS's code seems to ignore

Example: I want A button to be Ability#1, but I want Left bumper + A button to be Mount
    You can't do this combo with official controller support!

But you CAN do this with Xpadder!

Yup. Every button, and all 4 paddles on my controller has a separate keybind, plus I have shift modifiers, which is only possible with Xpadder/Rewasd/Joy2key/etc. And the Elite controller is the only Xbox controller where every button is an individual input, rather than a remap input like every other Xbox controller with paddles or grip buttons, which is a shame.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use PS4 controller on PC, always have, and if gamepad support stopped, I pretty much wouldn't be able to play the game, because I can't get used to m/k :sweat_smile: Also, except for a couple of elements, I really like the console UI.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use Xbox controller. Easier for me to play. I do have a hotkey to switch to keyboard and mouse when needed.

Yup. I do this. It just works.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been mostly a console gamer my whole life. Two reasons why I play on pc instead of ps4. One I don't want to double up on subs that being ps plus and eso+. Two i have friends that play on pc so i wanted to play with them. Addons can be a third a suppose.It just feels more natural to me, only thing i wish was the bank ui was better really.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XBox one gamepad and love it.
    Edited by mague on December 13, 2019 2:33PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone using both the Xbos elite controller and the Rewasd program? I recently got an Xbox elite controller to use with Rewasd (so I could have things like potions and bash on the back paddles) but I can't make it work with ESO: whenever remap on Rewasd is open, I can't do anything with the controller, I can't move etc, but when it's closed I can use the controller to play the game, but then I don't have remapped keybinds etc. I even did a game repair but for some reason the gamepad mode won't work while the remapping is on--any ideas?
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Is anyone using both the Xbos elite controller and the Rewasd program? I recently got an Xbox elite controller to use with Rewasd (so I could have things like potions and bash on the back paddles) but I can't make it work with ESO: whenever remap on Rewasd is open, I can't do anything with the controller, I can't move etc, but when it's closed I can use the controller to play the game, but then I don't have remapped keybinds etc. I even did a game repair but for some reason the gamepad mode won't work while the remapping is on--any ideas?

I used REWASD with an Elite 2. You need to bind your Xbox keys to keyboard keybinds. Pretend your Xbox controller is a gaming mouse and treat it like that when binding your keys.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I used REWASD with an Elite 2. You need to bind your Xbox keys to keyboard keybinds. Pretend your Xbox controller is a gaming mouse and treat it like that when binding your keys.

Thank you for the reply! My problem is that whenever I try to bind something, the controller will not work on the game. It's weird, it works fine when remap is off, but whenever I try to change something in a configuration, the game will not accept input from the controller, as if gamepad is turned off...
    Edited by Jaimeh on December 23, 2019 8:33PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you for the reply! My problem is that whenever I try to bind something, the controller will not work on the game. It's weird, it works fine when remap is off, but whenever I try to change something in a configuration, the game will not accept input from the controller, as if gamepad is turned off...

So once you select which rewasd profile you want to use, then save all of your keybinds etc. You have to enable or essentially "turn it on", otherwise the game won't receive any inputs. There should be a "remap" button, you click that then reWASD starts transmitting your inputs as if it were a mouse, and the game should then be able to detect it.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So once you select which rewasd profile you want to use, then save all of your keybinds etc. You have to enable or essentially "turn it on", otherwise the game won't receive any inputs. There should be a "remap" button, you click that then reWASD starts transmitting your inputs as if it were a mouse, and the game should then be able to detect it.

@Goregrinder Thanks a lot for the help! What happened was every time I would go to the game, rewasd profile panel would swap to slot 2, which is empty, so that's why I couldn't use the controller. Now I just have to figure out how to remove double inputs but I'm getting there! :sweat_smile: Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.