Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Troubleshooting Your Home Network And ISP - Packet Loss And High Latency [Why your lagging]

AmeenHania
watch this video for more info about why u may be experiencing latency: https://youtu.be/XpRHF9l790c
AmeenHania wrote: »
ESO is just bad about ping issues. I get 60-70 or so usually, and sometimes it shoots up to 400 for no reason in ESO. Nothing running in the background, no one else in the house awake to be using the Internet, not on wifi.

It’s just an ESO “feature”

Try to make sure it's eso servers or your or your isp with this free trial program (no credit card needed, just download and use 14 days free) [Called PingPlotter Pro]: {link here or google it: https://www.pingplotter.com/products/professional.html } and it will monitor and record and graph and show when where it happened so that way you will know if it's your hardware or isp or eso servers.

ESO NA Mega Server IP is: 192.20.198.110

with that software just just select file menu and select new target and put that ip to ESO server and you will see where the problem lies.
Edited by AmeenHania on December 11, 2019 8:05AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. What do you suggest for someone whose only connection available is satellite? HughesNet is FAR better than what I had before (WildBlue), but it's still not going to be optimal. It's the difference between 999+ ALL the time, and 600-750+ ALL the time.

I live in the back of beyond. That's not going to change (EVER I hope....) so?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Hmm. What do you suggest for someone whose only connection available is satellite? HughesNet is FAR better than what I had before (WildBlue), but it's still not going to be optimal. It's the difference between 999+ ALL the time, and 600-750+ ALL the time.

I'm no tech wizard but relying solely on Satellite internet because you're far from urban development most likely means it's always going to be bad and you can't do much at all about it.

Unless, do you have telephone lines nearby? I thought I read somewhere that the internet signal is delivered via telephone line when hardwired.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    watch this video for more info about why u may be experiencing latency: https://youtu.be/XpRHF9l790c

This is what I try explaining to people but it's never their end.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is just bad about ping issues. I get 60-70 or so usually, and sometimes it shoots up to 400 for no reason in ESO. Nothing running in the background, no one else in the house awake to be using the Internet, not on wifi.

• AmeenHania

Try to make sure it's eso servers or your or your isp with this free trial program (no credit card needed, just download and use 14 days free) [Called PingPlotter Pro]: {link here or google it: https://www.pingplotter.com/products/professional.html } and it will monitor and record and graph and show when where it happened so that way you will know if it's your hardware or isp or eso servers.

with that software just just select file menu and select new target and put that ip to ESO server and you will see where the problem lies.
  • AmeenHania

• AmeenHania

and use it to test your Internet provider if it is ur internet provider causing you latency...lag.. then switch and shop around and test other ISPs
  • AmeenHania
    if you have a high PL% (packetloss) in the software screen on next to your ip then it's on your end
  • AmeenHania
    im having this problem with my wifi because it's in the basement eventhough it's a gaming tp-link high range one..im just gonna switch to ethernet.
  • AmeenHania
    and i just got it this week.
  • AmeenHania
    eventhough i can get 100/100 mbs through wifi..i still get latency due to packetloss... so just gonna switch to ethernet and later move it upstairs but ill still use ethernet because its better plus ill take advantage of the higher speed being paid for 500/500 mbs
  • AmeenHania
    but u should be fine with 20/20 mbs (even uninterruppted 10/10 probably) as long as your not suffering from packet loss.
  • AmeenHania
    it may even be your cables or it might not even be hardware related but that app will help you where to look for first.
  • Pauls
    Pauls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL;DR: remember, its always our issue, dont dare to blame servers!
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why am I lagging
    because the server makes a potato look like a huge improvement....
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to chip in.... I pay £47 a month for my internet alone. No packages, it’s literally just the internet.... and I rarely have issues. I know everyone thinks I’m always white knighting ZOS but I’m not - I’m simply sharing my player experience....I know ESO has issues but I’m convinced my experience is because I have the best internet....
  • EIGHTS
    EIGHTS
    ✭✭✭✭
    My ping is normal (in white words) and I still get weird lag. Especially when you meet particular group or people in Cyrodiil. It's not the problem of network.
    I'm not native speaker in English. I hope that I don't make you misunderstand.
  • jazsper77
    jazsper77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, blaming the players and not the servers lolololol
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in The Netherlands, that's next to Germany (where the EU server should be) FYI. This is my ping to both servers:

Eso_Ping_2019-12-11_145330.png
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I literally can play any other game without issue. So its not my problem, its theirs. I can play swtor, ff14, wow, starcraft 2, red dead 2, MW, Gears of War, HALO, the list goes on, online no issue,but this game takes a quarter second to even fire my abilities with a 1 gb connection living less than 20 minutes from the datacenter using a pc that FAR exceeds the requirements for ultra on this game.

I LIVE 30 MINUTES FROM THE EU SERVER LOCATION AND HAVE A BETTER CONNECTION TO THE US SERVERS! WTF IS GOING ON!?

78846692_1215967272125421_3951809265999544320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=rGwiENfNajcAQl_0EDyx_KpppAOQOrwEnGD-WIyiLKUphm36zmNxC1Vcw&_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.xx&oh=a509aecf3a649f8f74f651924c6dd1a1&oe=5E7CDD39
    Edited by TheFM on December 11, 2019 2:09PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

I'm no tech wizard but relying solely on Satellite internet because you're far from urban development most likely means it's always going to be bad and you can't do much at all about it.

Unless, do you have telephone lines nearby? I thought I read somewhere that the internet signal is delivered via telephone line when hardwired.

60+ year old copper analog. Nope, not possible here. Never going to see fiber for less than 100 full time families.

and use it to test your Internet provider if it is ur internet provider causing you latency...lag.. then switch and shop around and test other ISPs

Um. I don't have "other ISPs" available. Well, dial up.... I also don't have "real" cell service or tv service (no LOS to cell towers, 10k foot mountain between us and tv)....

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live in Central Europe, about 1000 km in a straight line from the area where the server is and I have 70-100 ms ping in general. I've seen it as low as 60 at some times. But there are random ping spikes at 500+ especially at peak hours in certain parts. I have 500 Mb/s fiber connection and cable connection and very low latency on every site, including video streaming apps, so it's unlikely that those are from my side.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I live in Central Europe, about 1000 km in a straight line from the area where the server is and I have 70-100 ms ping in general. I've seen it as low as 60 at some times. But there are random ping spikes at 500+ especially at peak hours in certain parts. I have 500 Mb/s fiber connection and cable connection and very low latency on every site, including video streaming apps, so it's unlikely that those are from my side.

The game tells me one thing, but the ping tests tell me another. The game says 60, the tests say 250. I kinda feel like they are manipulating the ping in game tbh.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to chip in.... I pay £47 a month for my internet alone. No packages, it’s literally just the internet.... and I rarely have issues. I know everyone thinks I’m always white knighting ZOS but I’m not - I’m simply sharing my player experience....I know ESO has issues but I’m convinced my experience is because I have the best internet....

My average ping is 80-100ms. I'm on a 300mbs conection. I only experience "lag" in crowded places but that's due to a dying graphics card.
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

60+ year old copper analog. Nope, not possible here. Never going to see fiber for less than 100 full time families.

Um. I don't have "other ISPs" available. Well, dial up.... I also don't have "real" cell service or tv service (no LOS to cell towers, 10k foot mountain between us and tv)....

The notes of living in the middle I'd no where, reminds me of living on my dad's ranch, dial up was all I had lol, could not even play runescape
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »

The notes of living in the middle I'd no where, reminds me of living on my dad's ranch, dial up was all I had lol, could not even play runescape

Yep. A "middle of nowhere" 40 miles from the nearest real broadband.... However, my middle of nowhere comes with the cleanest air and water in the country, and not enough neighbors to upset my hermit soul. Oh wait, that's 22 miles now - little town (way bigger than mine though) north of here just got fiber and real broadband this summer.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on December 11, 2019 2:24PM
  • llande
    llande
    ✭✭✭
    Your latency will be dependant on end user technology employed and total signal travel time. So you'll never have better than 500 on satellite link, typically 10-50 on DSL or cable, 30-50 on LTE and 70+ on legacy mobile techs. Add like 10-30 ms per each 1000km straight line distance to server.
    Edited by llande on December 11, 2019 2:43PM
  • llande
    llande
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and all streaming and alike use buffering so the spikes in latency on end user equipment do not impact them. Only real time services like gaming or videoconferencing are affected.

Internet speed for ESO have no meaning, average data transfers is less than 1 MB / minute meaning you could theoretically play with less than 0.1 MBps link😁
    Edited by llande on December 11, 2019 2:50PM
  • AmeenHania
    I live in The Netherlands, that's next to Germany (where the EU server should be) FYI. This is my ping to both servers:

if this is the currect US na eso IP: 195.122.154.1 (according to https://pingtestlive.com/eso-status) .. i can see what is going on with packet plotter pro:

my ip going to frontier (500/500mbs with no packet loss and little latency) servers then hopping over to att (att increases the ms slightly by 20ms) but as soon as it hopes to 217.5.118.78 (wondering what hop this is) the average ms is 191-197 (too much!) which is high then to the server is an additional 7 ms its okay. so my focus is this transition hop between 193.158.5.9 and 217.5.118.78 before it reaches US ESO Mega server (195.122.154.1)
  • AmeenHania

if this is the currect US na eso IP: 195.122.154.1 (according to https://pingtestlive.com/eso-status) .. i can see what is going on with packet plotter pro:

my ip going to frontier (500/500mbs with no packet loss and little latency) servers then hopping over to att (att increases the ms slightly by 20ms) but as soon as it hopes to 217.5.118.78 (wondering what hop this is) the average ms is 191-197 (too much!) which is high then to the server is an additional 7 ms its okay. so my focus is this transition hop between 193.158.5.9 and 217.5.118.78 before it reaches US ESO Mega server (195.122.154.1)

i looked it up looks like its going to germany for some damn reason!!! (https://db-ip.com/all/193.158.5) [Deutsche Telekom AG located in Germany!] im in the US!