The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Update Racial Passives Please

Udrath
Udrath
✭✭✭✭
Yes, server performance should be priority but these racial passives should be updated.

Elemental Talent
Rank III - Unlocked at Altmer (High Elf) 50
Increases your Spell Damage by 258

This should also increase Weapon Damage by 258

Rank III - Unlocked at Orsimer (Orc) 50
Increases your weapon damage by 258
Reduces the cost of Sprint by 12% and increases the Movement Speed bonus of Sprint by 10%

This should also increase Spell Damage by 258

Rank III - Unlocked at Breton 50
Reduces the Magicka cost of your abilities by 7%
This should reduce the cost of both magicka and stamina abilities by 7%

There are orc shamans in game and a orc holding a staff in ESO related artwork. There is a high elf getting knocked off a cliff using a sword in the Summerset cinematic and High Kinlord Rilis uses a two-handed sword. The Breton assassin in the cinematic who rerolled necromancer never seems to have sustain problems with stamina or magicka. Fits the lore and will make these races more viable in other departments and isn't game breaking. The rest of the races are fine.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment.

• Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why should all races give equal bonuses? What's the purpose of af race if they all had the same bonuses?

And most importantly, you can play anything with any race, it's not like 250 spell damage will break your game play, especially if you care about being an orc shaman :)
    Edited by Vildebill on December 7, 2019 8:10AM
    EU PC
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t mind some races being particularly gifted in magicka or stamina pursuits. And it is after all only one part of the equation and you can make any race any class and role. I have an Altmer tank that I enjoy! :lol:

So in my opinion, it is lore friendly as it stands: These races have always had similar bonuses to these in TES games but of course it doesn’t mean that you can’t have a skilled Orsimer mage or Altmer archer.

What isn’t lore friendly is Bosmer having no bonus to stealth. That breaks with long tradition in TES games as well as the replacement passive being pretty useless. :/

*Edited for typos
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 7, 2019 4:03PM
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »
    Why should all races gave equal bonuses? What's the purpose of af race if they all had the same bonuses?

And most importantly, you can play anything with any race, it's not like 250 spell damage will break your game play, especially if you care about being an orc shaman :)

They don't all have the same bonuses. There are just wasted talent points to invest into if you play a magicka orc or stamina high elf. The other races like argonians, dark elves, nords, khajiits, wood elves can play either stamina or magicka just fine and benefit from all of their passives regardless.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t mind some races being particularly gifted in magicka or stamina pursuits. And it is after all only one part of the equation and you can make any race any class and role. I have an Altmer tank that I enjoy! :lol:

So in my opinion, it is lore friendly as it stands: These races have always had similar bonuses to these in TES games but of course it doesn’t mean that you can’t have a skill Orsimer mage or Altmer archer.

What isn’t lore friendly is Bosmer having to bonus to stealth. That breaks with long tradition in TES games as well as the replacement passive being pretty useless. :/

They gave that bonus to khajiit unfortunately and bosmer were given stealth detection. I play a wood elf nightblade and switch between stamina and magicka just fine. I'd like to switch to high elf but the loss for going high elf stamina is a bit wider. I'd have to change mundas and change a infused ring glyph to compensate, as well having a useless 3rd racial skill --- where as with magicka wood elf I just have to change my mundas. I do miss the old damage passive.
    Edited by Udrath on December 7, 2019 8:31AM
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Udrath wrote: »
    Yes, server performance should be priority but these racial passives should be updated.

Elemental Talent

Reduces the cost of Sprint by 12% and increases the Movement Speed bonus of Sprint by 10%

There are orc shamans in game and a orc holding a staff in ESO related artwork. There is a high elf getting knocked off a cliff using a sword in the Summerset cinematic and High Kinlord Rilis uses a two-handed sword. The Breton assassin in the cinematic who rerolled necromancer never seems to have sustain problems with stamina or magicka. Fits the lore and will make these races more viable in other departments and isn't game breaking. The rest of the races are fine.

No way. This would just make races meaningless. Now you actually need to make a choice if you want damage and sustain. It's good as it is
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Commenting this for future references: Breton and Argonian racials gonna get nerf :D

You'll see
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭

Elemental Talent

No way. This would just make races meaningless. Now you actually need to make a choice if you want damage and sustain. It's good as it is

How is spell damage on an orc and weapon damage on a high elf make races meaningless? Most orcs are stamina, most high elves are magicka. The high elf is still going have 2k max magicka instead of 2k stamina. All I am saying is add both values to the last tier skill of weapon damage and spell damage.
    Edited by Udrath on December 7, 2019 9:31AM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. The only race they should change (update / buff, whatever) are Wood elves & Argonians.

In Wrathstone they were balancing racials according to gear set peace bonuses. Argonians ended up with 6% more healing (live mender passive) in the end, but later on they updated gear set bonus:

Adds 2% Healing -> Adds 4% Healing

If Zenimax is all about standardization and balancing, then it means that Argonians should also get more healing done, since gear set bonus that they were using as a measurement in balancing got doubled in effectiveness (just because it was uselessly weak).

So Argonians should either get twice of that 6% -> 12% (since gear set bonus got doubled) or at least 10%.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. The only race they should change (update / buff, whatever) are Wood elves & Argonians.

In Wrathstone they were balancing racials according to gear set peace bonuses. Argonians ended up with 6% more healing (live mender passive) in the end, but later on they updated gear set bonus:

If Zenimax is all about standardization and balancing, then it means that Argonians should also get more healing done, since gear set bonus that they were using as a measurement in balancing got doubled in effectiveness (just because it was uselessly weak).

So Argonians should either get twice of that 6% -> 12% (since gear set bonus got doubled) or at least 10%.

I agree with argonians. It should be 10% and in line with the ritual mundas.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why should all races gave equal bonuses? What's the purpose of af race if they all had the same bonuses?

They don't all have the same bonuses. There are just wasted talent points to invest into if you play a magicka orc or stamina high elf. The other races like argonians, dark elves, nords, khajiits, wood elves can play either stamina or magicka just fine and benefit from all of their passives regardless.

Not if you are a true hyrbid...
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Shouldn't it be 8%? Twice the amount of a regular set bonus. Just the same as 258 WD/SD racial bonus. Don't twist standardization term to your own understanding.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on December 7, 2019 9:37AM
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why should all races give equal bonuses? What's the purpose of af race if they all had the same bonuses?

The purpose is aesthetics and freedom. If you don't understand that then I got nothing more to add.
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Came back to the game after 2 years, my main is a Bosmer and I can say that Im still in shock how They butchered my passives.

The useless stealth detection bonus is something I just cant swallow. Hopefully They fix this one day.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't it be 8%? Twice the amount of a regular set bonus. Just the same as 258 WD/SD racial bonus. Don't twist standardization term to your own understanding.

8 % ? Not really...
    In Wrathstone racial changes, Argonians got 3 times of a Healing set bonus. It was 2%. Argonians got 6%, so it was 3X.
    Set bonus got changed so math says it should be... 3X of a gear passive, so 3X 4% = 12%.

And just to be clear, I strongly believe that even if you compare now 4% healing vs 129 Spell / Weapon Damage set bonus - the 2nd one is WAY stronger, as it provides both more healing & dmg, while Healing % bonus provides only healing (less healing to be exact), with 0 increase in dmg.

Thus, it is save to say that if a set bonus is focused on healing only, it should provide superior bonus to healing vs something that grants healing & DMG.

Argonians should be a strong option for healers, but they are not. Their passives place them in worst spot for a healer amongst all "magicka" races in ESO. It is all because how game works & how gear set bonus work. Max stat bonus & spell / weapon dmg bonus are superior (they are giving more healing) than a set bonus that specifically focuses on healing...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on December 7, 2019 10:56AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the point of this? Double SD/WD bonus won't increase their dps to topl level, altmer still will be poor for stamdps and orc still poor for magdps. Breton will become OP in PVP with imminent consequent nerf.
    Probably worst suggestion on racial passives I've ever seen.
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on December 7, 2019 10:04AM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also anybody might take sword or staff in their hands, this doesn't suddenly grants them racial affinity to stam or magicka.
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not a waste I like to think of it this way if you’re a Nord sure you would make a great warrior but you would be a tanky mage, a Altmer warrior doesn’t make sense at first but you can weld a sword just a good as any other race they just get more bonuses to it but you can cast my magic this can be support/utilities skills. Race passives add a whole new flavor.

•A Nord Sorcerer in light armor is more beefy then your normal mage.

•An Altmer Stamblade wearing standard stamDPS gear can cast cloak and Shadow Image more often just with race passives.

•An Imperial healer would have have more health and stamina then a normal healer so you can survive a gank and block that one or two extra times you can’t heal your team if you’re dead.

You don’t have to min/max every race to a role. Giving a races the tools go your own way is far better. Sure Orc passives or not geared towards a mage but you know what Orcs are not known for their skills in magic. Are their Orc Mages yes but are few and far between. If Orcs had a bonus to spell damage they would be top tier Battlemages which just makes no sense.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, racials are grounded in each races' respective lore.

High Elves and Bretons are adept at Magicka, Redguards and Orcs are brawny and athletic warriors.

Dark Elves have always been balanced fighters, integrating Destruction, swordplay and bows.

With 10 races to choose from, and the flexibility of each class, there's no need whatsoever to homogenise everything.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's the point of this? Double SD/WD bonus won't increase their dps to topl level, altmer still will be poor for stamdps and orc still poor for magdps. Breton will become OP in PVP with imminent consequent nerf.

Because the third tier serves no point if you want to play an altmer stamina or orc magicka. These races are limited to their playstyles to strictly magicka or stamina, but not both. These are suggestions that have very little impact, so what's the harm? And explain how 7% stamina reduction will make breton OP?
    Edited by Udrath on December 7, 2019 10:42AM
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the third tier serves no point if you want to play an altmer stamina or orc magicka. These races are limited to their playstyles to strictly magicka or stamina, but not both. These are suggestions that have very little impact, so what's the harm? And explain how 7% stamina reduction will make breton OP?

If you want to play a Stamina-oriented race, pick Redguard.

There's no need to throw established racial lore out of the window.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So in my opinion, it is lore friendly as it stands: These races have always had similar bonuses to these in TES games but of course it doesn’t mean that you can’t have a skill Orsimer mage or Altmer archer.

What isn’t lore friendly is Bosmer having to bonus to stealth. That breaks with long tradition in TES games as well as the replacement passive being pretty useless. :/

I think you mean Bosmer NOT having such a bonus. As long as there have been racial bonuses to skills Bosmer had stealth bonuses. Also, Argonians should have resistance to poison along with their current resistance and a much higher healing bonus as already discussed (10 to 12% sounds right). I still think off-stat regen for Altmer is goofy. Aside from these issues, the passives are ok.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. breton is already BiS in PVP magicka, reducing cost on stamina (i guess this will apply to roll-dodge, block etc) will do nothing good and in the same time breton still will be much weaker for stamina builds then pure stamina races
    2. you need to apply this to all races, not only to this 3... for example bosmer should have then both 258 stamina/magicka recovery, dunmer and khajiit should be buffed because now they are slightly weaker because their stats are distributed etc.. this will create such problems with balance unless you totally overhaul all system
    3. ESO most valuable asset is lore, implementing such changes goes against all we knew about TES universe for 30 years.
    4. Proposed changes won't change anything in PVE and for PVP current racial passives are completely ok. Both altmer, breton and orc are extremely good races for all game modes right now, why change something that is already good? Races who require tweaks are bosmers, argonians, khajiits, redguards, imperials. Nord, dunmer, breton, orc and altmer are already good and different polls showed that mains of this races are overall satisfied with changes.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Elemental Talent

Completely agree and my Breton stamblade would love this 🙂
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamina Argonian DD? Hehehehe, no.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The forums never cease to amaze me.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭

1. breton is already BiS in PVP magicka, reducing cost on stamina (i guess this will apply to roll-dodge, block etc) will do nothing good and in the same time breton still will be much weaker for stamina builds then pure stamina races
    2. you need to apply this to all races, not only to this 3... for example bosmer should have then both 258 stamina/magicka recovery, dunmer and khajiit should be buffed because now they are slightly weaker because their stats are distributed etc.. this will create such problems with balance unless you totally overhaul all system
    3. ESO most valuable asset is lore, implementing such changes goes against all we knew about TES universe for 30 years.
    4. Proposed changes won't change anything in PVE and for PVP current racial passives are completely ok. Both altmer, breton and orc are extremely good races for all game modes right now, why change something that is already good? Races who require tweaks are bosmers, argonians, khajiits, redguards, imperials. Nord, dunmer, breton, orc and altmer are already good and different polls showed that mains of this races are overall satisfied with changes.

My main reason for this suggestion is out of all the passives the altmer one does not benefit a stamina user unless they wear Pelinal's Aptitude or something. Where as bosmer passives are not terrible for PVP as magicka. The other races as well still get decent benefits from all of their passives as both magicka and stamina. A breton would be saving maybe 1k stamina every 4 break frees in a no-cp environment.
    Edited by Udrath on December 7, 2019 11:28AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure I recall Zos stating earlier this year they would not revisit racial passives during the current process of reworking combat. It would not make sense to constantly revisit it during the process.

Second, based on both the comments Zos made leading into U21 and the end effect it is clear Zos intended to provide us more worthy choices for builds, including hybrids, but they were not interested in homogenizing.

It is clear from Zos' statements and actions with U21 they wanted multiple race choices for mag build, stam builds, and hybrid builds. But were not interested in making all race choices good for all areas in the manner OP is suggesting. I think the approach Zos made works well for the game.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭

Stamina Argonian DD? Hehehehe, no.

Mostly considering PVP in mind.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

The forums never cease to amaze me.
    Yep...

Buff Wood elves ? NOO. Buff Argonians ? NOOOO WE HATE THEM ! ! !

But buff Bretons & Orcs... :#:joy:
    (Just in case some one would not understand I am being sarcastic here).
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Lore, long tradition and common sense as a Tamriel citizen (hmm.. or something, you get what i mean) i demand Stealthy back for Bosmer and Argonian should be resistant to Poison, there are even quests still in the game saying about it, they are reptilian living in a swamp - they can deal with Poison better than basic humanoids.

I know they are not updating Racials in a while though, but when they do.. Bosmer and Argonian should be fixed to stay true to the Lore and tradition. Everything else is decently well balanced. Orc is tiny bit more gifted with goodies than most, not much but a tiny bit.. not want it to get demolished though so i rather would have it this way than make our muscular barbarians lose their muscles.

Edited by Moonsorrow on December 7, 2019 11:49AM