The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please Consider Removing Levels From Gear

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »
    There is a valid point there, though. If you removed levels from gear entirely, and let people take monster sets and farmed drop sets into lowbie BGs, the result would be pretty brutal.

I edited my earlier post since I didn´t think about that; but monster masks are pretty much the one offender there, no? Confession - I got solo emperor in sub-50 PvP by having crafted partly gold Twice-born Star and Hunding´s. Since I didn´t have. But the experience some people had facing me might have put them off PvP permanently. Sorry about that - without a guild I needed to max my chances. Then again, those of us who have played sub-50 PvP know that it is not a newbie PvP zone. Unfortunately.

I think the only way to save newbie PvP (which doesn´t really exist at the moment to be honest) is to have a newbie-only zone. Like you said, locking CP accounts out might be an option. Other options might be to only have a limited time (say 100 hours) in a newbie-only campaign.

But when I think about it these are not good solutions. I might want to play sub-50 PvP with friends who play far less and are less proficient at the game. I might be really bad at PvP.

What ESO lacks is a zone where people can play to learn PvP. Just try it, without being insta-killed. Kind of like a mini-Cyrodiil. What ZOS have done is introduce PvP events, which has basically backfired and the only thing many newbies learn is 'PvP is ganking and horse riding, nothanksbye'.

I don´t really know how to best accomplish newbie PvP though. But I would guess adding a new newbie mode might help. Say an 'ethereal arena' where you could revive all the time, there were no leaderboards, and stats were the same for all players. Might be a start.

In general, monster sets are the biggest offender. That said, I did some downright disgusting things with Sloads and Juli in lowbie BGs, farming my 1k kills dye.

What we've done wasn't against the rules, but probably should have been, because, even now, experienced PvPers have an enormous advantage over players who are fresh off the boat.
  • MaleAmazon
    MaleAmazon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we've done wasn't against the rules, but probably should have been, because, even now, experienced PvPers have an enormous advantage over players who are fresh off the boat.

True. It´s not new though. I went into PvP all excited with my green-blue gear after having levelled up from questing, eager to try out this new game mode (I generally only play multiplayer in strategy games).

I mean, I could barely make a dent in players that were AFK...

That was like 4+ years ago.

But I don´t think it´s the sets themselves that make the difference. Being able to have gold level weapons and understanding the game is enough to make a gigantic difference.

If I worked at ZOS I would suggest they should spend less time creating new single-player tutorials, which mostly don´t make any sense anyway storywise, and some more time making a PvP one.

Heck, here´s a suggestion for ZOS: Create a new, smaller arena with siege weapons etc. Have it work as a dream world. Base it on Ranser´s War or something. Force people to go in special light / medium / heavy armor with one weapon type. Enter via special 'spinner' NPC. No leaderboards. Give people a chance to experience PvP without insta-deaths and long horse rides. Battlegrounds don´t cut it at the moment.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaleAmazon wrote: »

True. It´s not new though. I went into PvP all excited with my green-blue gear after having levelled up from questing, eager to try out this new game mode (I generally only play multiplayer in strategy games).

I mean, I could barely make a dent in players that were AFK...

That was like 4+ years ago.

But I don´t think it´s the sets themselves that make the difference. Being able to have gold level weapons and understanding the game is enough to make a gigantic difference.

That's the key issue. There is an enormous skill difference in the game between someone just getting started, and an experienced veteran.