The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[LibCustomTitles.lua] BEFORE you saw this poll...

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
BEFORE you saw this poll (that means, DO NOT RESEARCH IT before answering)…
If you're on Console, it shouldn't apply to you.
Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 17, 2019 12:42AM

[LibCustomTitles.lua] BEFORE you saw this poll... 216 votes

I KNOW what it does, I know how to turn it off
37% 80 votes
I know what it does, I DON'T know how to turn it off
10% 23 votes
I DON'T know what it does, I do know I have it
6% 14 votes
I DON'T know what it does, I don't know if I have it
23% 51 votes
I DON'T know what it does, I know I don't have it
7% 17 votes
Hmm...
14% 31 votes
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Console... Never have looked at add-ons.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ¿Qué?
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can figure out what it does from the name and seeing that other thread.
    I do not recall seeing it in my add-ons and don't think I have it.
    I assume I would understand how to turn it off?
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what it does and I don't care.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »

^
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've watched a couple of the individuals on the customtitles.lib shut down these threads before by coming in and being extremely passive aggressive until someone bites.

I know what this is.

I know what they've done.

I know how to shut this down.

Player titles should not be API accessible. Where the title displays? Sure, but accessing the title itself should be a protected function because of these derps.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You probably already have it installed, and don't know it. There is no Custom Titles addon. It's a library that gets bundled into a number of addons by a small cadre of authors. Basically, it lets them, "rewrite," the titles for themselves and a few of their friends, and then displays that to you when you look at them.

And, yes, this is giving themselves the ability to display titles they haven't earned.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just learned about it earlier today in that other custom titles thread.

And yeah, it's in Skyshards, which likely everyone and their brother has.

(hmm, checking the other mods I've used, it's not in Multicraft, Harvest Map, Sous Chef, or Lost Treasure.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on October 17, 2019 1:06AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like i said in the other thread, every time i install or update AddOns i make sure to delete every trace of it (usually multiple hidden installs) since many of the more popular AddOns will secretly bundle it with their releases.

Since this isn't the real world i can't slap their epeens until they are blue so deleting this ego-bloatware is the next best thing.
    slap.gif

• Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You probably already have it installed, and don't know it. There is no Custom Titles addon. It's a library that gets bundled into a number of addons by a small cadre of authors. Basically, it lets them, "rewrite," the titles for themselves and a few of their friends, and then displays that to you when you look at them.

And, yes, this is giving themselves the ability to display titles they haven't earned.

I didn't claim there was a Custom Title add-on so idk where you got that from. Anyway I know what it does and how it works. I was answering in a format similar to the poll answers for consistency's sake. The poll asked for an opinion BEFORE googling it, so that's what I did.

As I said, I do not see it and that leads me to believe I do not have it. Obviously if it's a hidden library that does not get displayed anywhere, it is entirely possible for me to have it. I've never seen any custom Titles though.
    Edited by Raisin on October 17, 2019 1:10AM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what it is, I don't want to shut it down.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've deleted it from wherever I've found it. Of course, updating the addons that bundle it means I have to do it again. So I do. No big deal. At least not for me.

@Raisin - it's not hidden. It's in the Libraries folder in various addons.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on October 17, 2019 1:12AM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@starkerealm This part is wrong actually. You can only use it to display custom made titles which are specifically not the game. The addon does not allow any title ingame to be used. Anyone attempting to use one has their approval removed.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

@starkerealm This part is wrong actually. You can only use it to display custom made titles which are specifically not the game. The addon does not allow any title ingame to be used. Anyone attempting to use one has their approval removed.

Well.... there are people who can finagle a title to fool some people into believing it's "the real deal". I find this a really objectionable addition in addons I use. I would like it removed from them. Failing that, of course, I just hunt it down manually.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I read the other thread but I still didn't get what it did until starkrealm's comment. What a narcissistic, crappy, self-aggrandizing thing to do! Guess I'll be spending a little quality time with Minion tonight :#
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I've deleted it from wherever I've found it. Of course, updating the addons that bundle it means I have to do it again. So I do. No big deal. At least not for me.

Hmmm. Well I guess if it doesn't show up in the in-game list, it's still up for debate whether it qualifies as a hidden install or not? But yeah, I kind of figured it would have to be visible in some way.

Edit: What's interesting to me now is to figure out how many people are actually running around with custom titles. I definitely look at nametags a lot, and I've never seen a title I didn't know. :0
    Edited by Raisin on October 17, 2019 1:34AM
  • nesakinter
    nesakinter
    ✭✭✭✭

Custom Title has nothing to do with authors and their friends.

Any one that streams, makes build guides, is a content creator or does anything to help the community in someway can get one.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Froil wrote: »
    I know what it does and I don't care.

This.
    I don't really care about custom titles. After all, offensive stuff, faking achievements or trying to scam other players (for example, by pretending to be a ZOS employee) is against TOS and I don't think that any addon author would risk their account by adding this kind of stuff. Other than that, who cares? Especially if you can just disable them.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well hopefully this is deep enough in the comment thread to safely put down without interfering too much with the poll:

Part of the reason for the poll is to see if there's a wider issue of TL;DR or not reading the fine print.
    Some mods that do include it have full disclosure -- They say their mod includes it, and links to a mod that tells you how to turn it off -- including a very popular crafting mod.
    So, if someone put down "I don't know" … is that actually a TL;DR ?
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 17, 2019 1:59AM
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nesakinter wrote: »

Custom Title has nothing to do with authors and their friends.

Any one that streams, makes build guides, is a content creator or does anything to help the community in someway can get one.

So can I get a title that only custom title-holders and foistware add-on makers see that says, "Booger off?"

Because streamers don't deserve special recognition and content creators/guide makers shouldn't be allowed to fly special flags unless ZOS grants them. The whole thing is sneaky, backhanded, and straight-up repugnant, IMHO.
  • Throxx
    Throxx
    ✭✭✭
    Removing all instances creates a lot of lua errors too.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Well hopefully this is deep enough in the comment thread to safely put down without interfering too much with the poll:

Part of the reason for the poll is to see if there's a wider issue of TL;DR or not reading the fine print.
    Some mods that do include it have full disclosure -- They say their mod includes it, and links to a mod that tells you how to turn it off -- including a very popular crafting mod.
    So, if someone put down "I don't know" … is that actually a TL;DR ?

On one hand, I really think most people barely read any info of the add-ons they download. Doesn't matter how open you are about this lib in your description, people will choose to ignore it. On the other hand I think at least ethically it's still deceptive, as it's reasonable for the addon-user to assume that all content they are downloading is relevant to that add-on. Technically it's on us to read and check what we're downloading and we can't blame creators for our laziness... But adding a function unrelated to the add-on in the download for that add-on just because you can is still sneaky.
    And if they didn't bank on tricking people into getting this function by accident, they would just distribute it as its own download. There is at least some intention. It's just completely preventable if you pay attention.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Forgot option: know what it is, don't have it installed.

That's different from turning it off. Which I'm not 100% sure of, but I think my guess is a good one.

Though the 'know what is it, don't care' is a good one, too.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I participated in the other thread, I can't pretend to not have read it.
    However, if I put myself genuinely in the position I was in before reading the other thread, my situation would be :

"I know what it does but I did not know it was still a thing".

No option for that in your poll :-(

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Define "hidden".
    It's definitely not in the add-on description, nor in the ad-on options.
    Sure, it's not hard to find out if you look at the files... but you have to think of looking at the files in the first place... who does that, apart from the techies or informed people ?
    I still think "hidden" is an appropriate adjective. I call it "sneaky". Which is bad enough.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 17, 2019 2:26AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot option: know what it is, don't have it installed.

That's different from turning it off. Which I'm not 100% sure of, but I think my guess is a good one.

It's not a thing you "install". It's a thing that installs itself. Without asking you. That's the point.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 17, 2019 2:27AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is, actually, incorrect, as at least one entry I remember has selected a real, earnable, in-game title as their custom title. While the addon generally creates entirely new titles, they could (and have) used that to brag about accomplishments they hadn't actually achieved.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This poll is about awareness, not feelings. Sure you might not care, but whether you know how to turn it off or not (even if turning it off means uninstalling it nor not installing it) is binary.

Because the follow-up (which couldn't really be put right at the start of the poll) is whether you really weren't made aware of it. (my post #20 in this comment thread) So that's sort of the "real discussion".
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've watched a couple of the individuals on the customtitles.lib shut down these threads before by coming in and being extremely passive aggressive until someone bites.

I know what this is.

I know what they've done.

I know how to shut this down.

Player titles should not be API accessible. Where the title displays? Sure, but accessing the title itself should be a protected function because of these derps.

The solution to getting rid of an unwanted addon is another addon lol

Poll answer:
    I know what it is, I’ve never seen a custom title, I don’t care.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is, actually, incorrect, as at least one entry I remember has selected a real, earnable, in-game title as their custom title. While the addon generally creates entirely new titles, they could (and have) used that to brag about accomplishments they hadn't actually achieved.

That is definitely an edge-case and most probably got removed in their next check.

The reason I know is that I had been using the title "God Slayer" as a custom title for my NB PvP char since years and as soon as Elsweyr added the Godslayer title, my custom title got removed and had to be replaced to something different.

It used to be possible to use any text as title till Summerset, they cleaned the database and updated the rules from Summerset. (Not sure whether exactly Summerset though, can be off by one patch)
    Edited by susmitds on October 17, 2019 2:44AM
This discussion has been closed.