The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Purifying Light

Pelican
Pelican
✭✭✭✭✭
Thank you ZOS. It's about time the 40k HP trashcan magplar healbot tanks lose their ability to land 8k purifyings on you. Keep up good changes like this.
Edited by Pelican on October 1, 2019 3:13PM
PC NA - EP Solo PvP Player
https://www.youtube.com/c/pelicaneso
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pelican wrote: »
    Thank you ZOS. It's about time the 40k HP trashcan magplar healbot tanks lose their ability to land 8k purifyings on you. Keep up good changes like this.

They never did as the ability scaled with max magicka.
    But now you can have multiple boom babies on you and if 2-3 templars focus you, you are dead. It should be tested and chekc how easy is to be filled only by one person.
    Because I can!
  • Pelican
    Pelican
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

But now you can have multiple boom babies on you and if 2-3 templars focus you, you are dead. It should be tested and chekc how easy is to be filled only by one person.

The maximum tooltip is still enormous even with very low max magicka.
    Edited by Pelican on October 1, 2019 3:19PM
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The maximum tooltip is so enormous that you don't need much mag to land insanely high bursts with it.

With 20k magicka, it is 12k copied damage. 20% of it release as damage. So it is 2400 damage before mitigation. I have no idea how 40k heal bots hit you with 8k.
    Because I can!
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The maximum tooltip is so enormous that you don't need much mag to land insanely high bursts with it.

I'm sorry, but just no. Tool tip is on average 20k, before Battle Spirit and before mitigation. Having to max this out can be difficult as compared to NB's Merciless which only takes 5 LA or 2.x HA to get a much higher tool tip output.
    Also, just to mention, now that DoT's are essentially dead in the water and AOE DoT's are too costly you will need to be in melee range to spam Jabs or Sweeps as a major portion of the damage you need to inflict to achieve filling up Backlash (&Morphs) which is still a buggy skill, easily dodgeable and opens you more than any other skill in the game to taking unmitigated damage.
  • Pelican
    Pelican
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but just no. Tool tip is on average 20k, before Battle Spirit and before mitigation. Having to max this out can be difficult as compared to NB's Merciless which only takes 5 LA or 2.x HA to get a much higher tool tip output.
    Also, just to mention, now that DoT's are essentially dead in the water and AOE DoT's are too costly you will need to be in melee range to spam Jabs or Sweeps as a major portion of the damage you need to inflict to achieve filling up Backlash (&Morphs) which is still a buggy skill, easily dodgeable and opens you more than any other skill in the game to taking unmitigated damage.

20k tooltip from a 40k hp no damage tank every 6 seconds isn't high? lol
  • Pelican
    Pelican
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With 20k magicka, it is 12k copied damage. 20% of it release as damage. So it is 2400 damage before mitigation. I have no idea how 40k heal bots hit you with 8k.

You're VERY mistaken on how the skill works. The 12k tooltip indicates that the maximum tooltip dmg it can do on you is 12k. Thats with 20k magicka and most magplar healer tanks have a lot more than that.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Only 20% of the 20k will be release as damage.
    Because I can!
  • splitsand
    splitsand
    ✭✭✭
    @Bashev so it's like curse that you have to fill up? I'm cool with that. It's a good change and one that makes for actual counterplay.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    splitsand wrote: »
    @Bashev so it's like curse that you have to fill up? I'm cool with that. It's a good change and one that makes for actual counterplay.

I like the change too. I just dont like that I can be hit by multiple at once, as it is unblockable and undogable. But as I said it should be tested.
    Because I can!
  • Pelican
    Pelican
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is absolutely true when you're the only one doing damage, which is why this is a good change. It's cancerous if you can do absolutely no damage except apply purifying and still have it maxed out by groupmates.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping up even 5k DPS in any 1v1 in Cyrodiil is pretty tough. If you did get 5k average DPS during the build up phase it equates to 30k damage over those 6 seconds, which 20% will burst on you.

So the hit could be 6k before resists in a 1v1. More likely around 4-5k non-crit after resists, with 6k being the crit after resists and Impenetrable.

Several Templars (or any other class and a Templar) would make it easier to get a larger build up on you since they don't have to waste DPS defending themselves, but if you are being 3v1'd, well good luck against anything.

edit: Actually I forgot that in PvP scenarios, you actually contribute an extra amount of damage to the build up since a year ago or so, making it easier to fill the "damage pool". I can't remember what the modifyer is, but it makes it so that lower DPS in PvP (since it is so much lower that PvE) can still get a descent BOOM out of the skill.
    Edited by danno8 on October 1, 2019 3:41PM
  • Telannocturne
    Telannocturne
    ✭✭

No dude. Read the ability carefully. The tooltip is the maximum damage that WILL BE COPIED. The tooltip states it copies ALL damage taken and released 20% of that as damage. The maximum allowable copied damage is the tooltip. It's not 20% of the tooltip. The tooltip is the highest that 20% damage release can get.

Trust me. I've had this argument before. Go test it and you'll see. Pelican is right, he knows what he's talking about lol.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wot. No. That's not how it works.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • splitsand
    splitsand
    ✭✭✭

That is absolutely true when you're the only one doing damage, which is why this is a good change. It's cancerous if you can do absolutely no damage except apply purifying and still have it maxed out by groupmates.

100% Agreed, Peli.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No dude. Read the ability carefully. The tooltip is the maximum damage that WILL BE COPIED. The tooltip states it copies ALL damage taken and released 20% of that as damage. The maximum allowable copied damage is the tooltip. It's not 20% of the tooltip. The tooltip is the highest that 20% damage release can get.

Trust me. I've had this argument before. Go test it and you'll see. Pelican is right, he knows what he's talking about lol.

If this is the case then the tooltip is very misleading. And ll with 40k magicka it could do 24k damage in non-cp in 6 seconds. There is no other skill with such tooltip in the game and zos decided to make it crit :dizzy: Lucky that they read the feedback.
    Because I can!
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is why reading comprehension and elementary mathematical proficiency are important.

Stay in school, kids. And don't do drugs.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're wrong. My max is literally what the Tooltip says. 20% of your damage may be edgar's contributed, but i easily get my 20k plus pops in pve
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »

This is why reading comprehension and elementary mathematical proficiency are important.

Summon an expanding beam of pure sunlight to doom an enemy, dealing 3151 Magic Damage to them and copying all their damage taken for 6 seconds and releasing 20% of it as additional Magic Damage to them.

Maximum copied damage: 23999.

This is the tooltip with 40k magicka. Can you do the calculations based on the text? If you want 24k damage to hit the player, I guess it should be written maximum executed damage not copied. Or my English skills sucks as I am not native :smile:
    Because I can!
  • Telannocturne
    Telannocturne
    ✭✭

If this is the case then the tooltip is very misleading. And ll with 40k magicka it could do 24k damage in non-cp in 6 seconds. There is no other skill with such tooltip in the game and zos decided to make it crit :dizzy: Lucky that they read the feedback.

Exactly my man. It was hella strong! Really happy with the changes.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, your going to confuse things further with that terminology.

The tooltip is the maximum damage that WILL BE RELEASED. It will copy ALL your damage, then RELEASE 20% of it up to the maximum stated. I know you understand it, but the wording will confuse the guy even more.
    Edited by danno8 on October 1, 2019 3:45PM
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Summon an expanding beam of pure sunlight to doom an enemy, dealing 3151 Magic Damage to them and copying all their damage taken for 6 seconds and releasing 20% of it as additional Magic Damage to them.

This is the tooltip with 40k magicka. Can you do the calculations based on the text? If you want 24k damage to hit the player, I guess it should be written maximum executed damage not copied. Or my English skills sucks as I am not native :smile:

Fair enough, I noticed that you revised your opinion and that's respectable. Also understandable if you're not a native speaker, so my apologies.

But I still think that kids shouldn't do drugs! :D
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are correct that the tooltip should say "Maximum released damage", instead of "maximum copied damage", since it will copy all your damage done.
  • Telannocturne
    Telannocturne
    ✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Lol, your going to confuse things further with that terminology.

The tooltip is the maximum damage that WILL BE RELEASED. It will copy ALL your damage, then RELEASE 20% of it up to the maximum stated. I know you understand it, but the wording will confuse the guy even more.

Yeah you worded it simpler. Thank you kind sir!
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great change! Thanks ZOS
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • albertberku
    albertberku
    ✭✭✭

I actually tested it when i started playing magicka templar, and my conclusion was that it is almost impossible even to get close to the damage copy limit alone even with a perfect rotation. I am very happy with the changes to this skill. Much needed.
    Edited by albertberku on October 1, 2019 3:57PM
  • HankTwo
    HankTwo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good change imo. Being able to crit and storing your allies damage would have been op.

PTS 5.2.2 was overall a pleasent surprise!
    PC EU
    Stam DK, Magden, Magplar, Stamcro, Hybrid Sorc, Magblade & Mag DK
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Fair enough, I noticed that you revised your opinion and that's respectable. Also understandable if you're not a native speaker, so my apologies.

But I still think that kids shouldn't do drugs! :D

To be fair, even as a native English speaker I had the same misunderstanding of this tool tip. (I also have relatively little play time on Templar, and never tested or even looked at a parse with backlash). The phrasing is quite a misdirection. I suppose not that surprising given all the other messed up, or incomplete tool tips and skills with unintuitive behavior.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been wanting this change for years. Now this skill can be balanced for damage dealers.

My only concern is that, like Curse, it's very hard to see how many are on you. I don't think there's much they can do about that though.
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

20% of 25k max dmg is 5k dmg reduced to 2.5k dmg in pvp.
    Another liar bullshiter who never played templar and want it nerfed.
    You just confirmed my thoughts that many noobs in this forum want templar class dead.
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is ignorant...

H A T E R

However now 5 magplars can purifying light you and watch us all crit on you at the same time.
    Edited by IronWooshu on October 1, 2019 9:08PM