The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar tanks - What's missing?

• GallantGuardian
    GallantGuardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    If templar tanks could have access to buffs similar to dk getting brutality we’d be more sought after stuff that you’d have to use a set to get

A few would be

minor force
    minor courage
    Minor vulnerability

If they could work those into passives for the templar but more importantly place them within skills that are dedicated templar tank skills something a healer or dps wouldn’t want

Would bring Templar’s up as an option

They’d have to also work on our survivability as well within the passives
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If templar tanks could have access to buffs similar to dk getting brutality we’d be more sought after stuff that you’d have to use a set to get

A few would be

minor force
    minor courage
    Minor vulnerability

If they could work those into passives for the templar but more importantly place them within skills that are dedicated templar tank skills something a healer or dps wouldn’t want

Minor Force would be a bit strong considering how heavy the meta in PvE is asking for crit.

Minor Courage is interesting. It would also encourage to mix tanks, as the DK wouldn't need to run Yolnahkriin anymore either if you have both a Templar and a DK, while two DKs would still have use for the set.

Minor Vulnerability is already a NB thing, which a NB tank could provide, so I'd rather not take that exclusivity from them.

Some other ideas is buffing ult generation through minor heroism, a buff that DDs and healers don't usually get, not even through potions. It does fit the theme of a heroic Paladin who inspires his comrades to do heroic deeds too. Might be a bit too strong depending on the circumstances though, but nothing that couldn't ultimately be balanced. Besides, they need to offer something of worth to the group after all.

Then there is still the problem of how that buff gets applied as it shouldn't be used by DDs or Healers if we want to create diversity.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • GallantGuardian
    GallantGuardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

A few would be

minor force
    minor courage
    Minor vulnerability

Minor Force would be a bit strong considering how heavy the meta in PvE is asking for crit.

Minor Courage is interesting. It would also encourage to mix tanks, as the DK wouldn't need to run Yolnahkriin anymore either if you have both a Templar and a DK, while two DKs would still have use for the set.

Minor Vulnerability is already a NB thing, which a NB tank could provide, so I'd rather not take that exclusivity from them.

Some other ideas is buffing ult generation through minor heroism, a buff that DDs and healers don't usually get, not even through potions. It does fit the theme of a heroic Paladin who inspires his comrades to do heroic deeds too. Might be a bit too strong depending on the circumstances though, but nothing that couldn't ultimately be balanced. Besides, they need to offer something of worth to the group after all.

Then there is still the problem of how that buff gets applied as it shouldn't be used by DDs or Healers if we want to create diversity.

I disagree with you about minor force only cause there are three other abilities that offer it and also sets that give you the buff at all times.... but i do sorta get your point

I didnt know vulnerability was on night blades i knew it was on necrosis but that one is major vulnerability... i was thinking more of minor... if not vulnerability then perhaps major or minor mangle ??

I like you idea of minor heroism being granted to the group ...

Id like to see minor courage be something we give to the group at all times... and the rest are abilities we would have to use during a specific ability... preferably a tanky ability... like add it to our ward shield... or to hopefully a health based heal we get some day...

• Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

A few would be

minor force
    minor courage
    Minor vulnerability

I disagree with you about minor force only cause there are three other abilities that offer it and also sets that give you the buff at all times.... but i do sorta get your point

I didnt know vulnerability was on night blades i knew it was on necrosis but that one is major vulnerability... i was thinking more of minor... if not vulnerability then perhaps major or minor mangle ??

I like you idea of minor heroism being granted to the group ...

Id like to see minor courage be something we give to the group at all times... and the rest are abilities we would have to use during a specific ability... preferably a tanky ability... like add it to our ward shield... or to hopefully a health based heal we get some day...

The problem I see with Minor Force is that these abilities would essentially lose their function while in a trial. That also means DDs need to adjust their rotation all the time, which only causes more problems than it solves. There aren't really skills in the game that grant minor brutality, sorcery, savagery or prophecy either pretty much because of this. They are only granted by class passives. It would also make gear designed to replace the skills granting minor force, like Tzogvin's, obsolete.

And about the Vulnerability, ZOS changed Teleport strike and morphs to apply Minor Vulnerability in Elsweyr I think. DDs don't slot it because it deals no damage and only buffs your next auto attack and NB healers (probably) don't slot it because of positioning. It's perfect for tanks though and since both morphs apply it, the tank can even choose whether to use magicka or stamina for it. Admittedly it's not that great for trash fights.

I'm not sure if Minor Mangle works on bosses at all, so I'm not sure if that would change anything really. I can't see trial groups running a Templar tank only to deal with the trash mobs faster.

Lastly ZOS could also make up completely new buffs. They invented minor toughness as a Warden exclusive already. I'm sure they can up with something new if they tried. For example a named flat resource recovery bonus.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on September 13, 2019 12:30AM
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of skills and ultimate morphs that templars have that could be adjusted to help a create a unique alternative to a DK tank without effecting the other templar roles or pvp too much.
  • ZonasArch
    ZonasArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    honestly the only thing i think most tanks could benefit from over DK is a pull option and a aoe immobilize

but you can use turn evil and silver lash...

templar offers
    min prot and stun with turn evil
    aoe heal and purge with ext ritual
    a shield
    resource recovery with shards
    damage mitigation and recovery with rune
    self heal with jabs
    cheap oh *** ultimate heal
    minor debuff that also inc. group damage output...

the only thing that really annoyed me is the change to empowering because it worked really well with automated defense set...

and more classes should get some sort of pull option that doesnt cost and arm and a leg

If you sacrifice crushing power a bit to your 1HS, you can have charged frost staff with ice damage enchant, and you unstable wall will freeze above 70%(in theory this number is 86% I Believe) of time if you have all passives with the benefit that it'll tick a second time before it goes away in a bang and if you have other means of applying chilled, say with pulse?, That means you'll be passively freezing a ton of mobs that walk in front of you.

Or... And hear me out here, you can go bow back bar with hail to apply crushing and bombard to immobilize, and focus on more stamina and stamina regen because you won't have ice blocking to help you. This is FUN, but so very annoying and some people will look at you funny. Also, probably not vet trial worthy.