The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Has defence left the game?

• festher
    festher
    ✭✭
    Forget resistance as a form of mitigation

You want major protection first, then minor if no major
    You want Maim, you really want a way to maim
    Then you want healz,

You must mitigate via LoS and positions in BGs as well

Whats the difference between 5k Major protection and 5k armor resistance
    Edited by festher on August 19, 2019 11:05PM
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird way to ask that question. A simple way to look at it is 30 percent mitigation from resistance vs 30 percent mitigation from major protection. There is no difference in terms of mitigation, however the former is much easier to counter. Therefore sources of protection are more valuable, the real reason why a set like pirate skeleton was highly favored. It also makes squishy builds not so squishy.

Side note: Keep in mind that resistance and protection buffs still interact with each other.
    Edited by BaiterOfZergs on August 19, 2019 11:24PM
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • festher
    festher
    ✭✭
    Weird way to ask that question. A simple way to look at it is 30 percent mitigation from resistance vs 30 percent mitigation from major protection. There is no difference in terms of mitigation, however the former is much easier to counter. Therefore sources of protection are more valuable, the real reason why a set like pirate skeleton was highly favored. It also makes squishy builds not so squishy.

Side note: Keep in mind that resistance and protection buffs still interact with each other.

Yes i do know resistance and buffs stack. im probably too tired to understand it. i just dont know what to make of this. Resistance is all about mitigation and Major Resolve and Ward are worth just as little (or much) as 5280 regular resistance (on fortified brass for example)

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    festher wrote: »

Yes i do know resistance and buffs stack. im probably too tired to understand it. i just dont know what to make of this. Resistance is all about mitigation and Major Resolve and Ward are worth just as little (or much) as 5280 regular resistance (on fortified brass for example)

The resistances buffs are called major resolve and Ward, not protection. Major protection is 30% reduced damage.

Pre-patch I noticed that tanking two players requires 70%+ effective mitigation.

50% battle spirit, plus 10% buffer and 8% minor protection doesn’t cut it. That only puts you at 59% effective mitigation because of the formula (excluding resistances).

From what I’ve seen major protection is the only seminal protection buff. If you’re light armour I’d try maybe steadfast as the only defensive set. Anything else is too high of a stat hit but at least steadfast will give you enough time to LoS.

If there’s a way to tank 2 people in no-CP I’m all ears.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget resistances because they are easily countered by high pentration, onslaught (full pentration, ignores resistances), and corrosive armor (full penetration, ignores resistances). Major and minor protection are countered by vulnerability which is more difficult to get (necro's ground based ult). Maim debuffs, protection buffs, and healing (healing less so because of easy defile) are more valuable as there are no ults that fully counter them.
    Edited by TBois on August 20, 2019 3:40AM
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i didnt ask for for everything. But if i build damage, i do dmg. If i build sustain i get recovery. Problem is when i build defence i get no mitigation and die in 2sec.
    What you don't understand is that stacking mitigation sets is a horrible way of building for survivability. Survivability comes from the ability to mitigate damage, effectively healing incoming damage and having the mobility to prevent being dogpiled. It is much better to run a combination of defence, stats and sources of healing increase.

Your combination of sets is awful, as it provides very little stats to increase your healing. Your healing is crap compared to other builds because you invested too much into the mitigation part. Also the fact you chose medium shows you actually went for a balanced build, which explains the 23k resist (which as others have said isnt high, its regular).
    Edited by Koensol on August 20, 2019 5:55AM
  • festher
    festher
    ✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    i didnt ask for for everything. But if i build damage, i do dmg. If i build sustain i get recovery. Problem is when i build defence i get no mitigation and die in 2sec.
    What you don't understand is that stacking mitigation sets is a horrible way of building for survivability. Survivability comes from the ability to mitigate damage, effectively healing incoming damage and having the mobility to prevent being dogpiled. It is much better to run a combination of defence, stats and sources of healing increase.

Your combination of sets is awful, as it provides very little stats to increase your healing. Your healing is crap compared to other builds because you invested too much into the mitigation part. Also the fact you chose medium shows you actually went for a balanced build, which explains the 23k resist (which as others have said isnt high, its regular).

So Major Ward and Major Resolve are flat 30% dmg damage reductions?
    They give 5280 reistance but are not comparable to 5280 resistance from set pieces?
  • Reaper_00
    Reaper_00
    ✭✭✭✭
    They give 5280 reistance but are not comparable to 5280 resistance from set pieces?

No. They just add to your existing resistances and can still be countered by high enough penetration or debuffs that reduce your resistance. What you want are buffs and sets that give a flat non-resistance based reduction like major/minor protection, buffer of the swift, reactive, etc

Resistance is still good, but you need to stack a lot of it for it to really make a difference against decent players (35K+), and you would still need to pair it with either another non-resistance defensive set or high health regen to be really effective. It is still possible to do decent damage with these builds, but it take more management in terms of keeping debuffs/buffs up and keeping an eye on your resources (either heavy attack weaving or using skills that return resources)
  • festher
    festher
    ✭✭
    Reaper_00 wrote: »

No. They just add to your existing resistances and can still be countered by high enough penetration or debuffs that reduce your resistance. What you want are buffs and sets that give a flat non-resistance based reduction like major/minor protection, buffer of the swift, reactive, etc

Resistance is still good, but you need to stack a lot of it for it to really make a difference against decent players (35K+), and you would still need to pair it with either another non-resistance defensive set or high health regen to be really effective. It is still possible to do decent damage with these builds, but it take more management in terms of keeping debuffs/buffs up and keeping an eye on your resources (either heavy attack weaving or using skills that return resources)

okay thanks and how i always thought it was working. Someone just made it sound like Major buffs were "more effective" than regular resistance from armor pieces. Anyway, yes im stacking resist atm.
    You can say the set combination is awefull but its the only way i can take 3-4 dots and punches and survng a stun. I dont have fun running around a stone to survive. Im not a huge fan of LOS as defence. I think block should be more viable and dodging

Stam classes in BG PUGs has to be able to take a bedring imo. and right now i have the least frustrations in 5x Heavy Pariah, 2x BS all impen and Briarheart for dmg enchants. with HP on most pieces. When BS procs and Pariah procs on 70% HP i am well over 33k resist with hurricane and that is what it takes to tank two ppl farely well with some CC and healing on top. But again you are right - my stam recovery and weapon dmg is low but im alive and kicking

My magdk is another story. it dosent matter wtf i wear or click on. He just continue forward in light armor with around 23k resist (non cp)

My magblade is also strong now. i have so much dmg on my dot tooltips. i use Julianos and BTB and BS. Not much resist på play around the edge instead of in the middel of the fight
    Edited by festher on August 20, 2019 3:38PM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reaper_00 wrote: »

okay thanks and how i always thought it was working. Someone just made it sound like Major buffs were "more effective" than regular resistance from armor pieces. Anyway, yes im stacking like crazy when im trying to be able to stay in the fight.

You can say the sets are awefull but its the only way i can take 3-4 dots and punches, surving a stun etc.
    I dont have fun running around a stone to wait for heals to save my butt. I always thought it stupid and now that dot is meta, LOS isent a huge help

If i wanna play my stamsorc and not die in 2-3 sec as a melee inside the middle of shitt in a BG, i am running 5x Heavy Pariah, 2x BS all impen and for damage i use Briarheart with dmg enchants on both bars and jewlery. HP on most pieces.
    When BS procs and Pariah procs im well over 33k resist with hurricane and that is what it takes to tank two ppl farely well with some CC and healing on top. But again you are right - my stam recovery and weapon dmg is low and killing takes longer and i use more heavy attacks and dark deal to recover stam than im used to. If i switch my Pariah with medium fortified or even better with spriggan's set i hit harder but oh boy im no longer charging in with a 2h. i stay ranged with my bow.

My magdk is another world. it dosent matter wtf i wear or click on. He just continue forward in light armor with around 23k resist (non cp)

My magblade is also strong now. i have so much dmg on my dot tooltips on everything. i use Julianos and BTB and BS
    Choices, choices, choices. You can't have good survivability to 'tank' 2+ good players (the word 'good' is key here) in BG and still have enough burst to quickly kill people. You will suffer either in the sustain department or in the damage department or be lackluster at both.

On top of that, surviving is simply harder than 'sustaining' or 'damaging'. Speccing for sustain is easy, you just need to slot one or two sustain sets. Dealing damage isn't hard. Complete idiot zerglings can spam hard hitting skills from range and be a huge threat. They just need damage sets. Surviving on the other hand has a lot more variables. Like I said before, you need the complete package. Just having mitigation will just slow down your death. This is why all the zergling *** tanks always die when they jump in without their healers... because they cant heal themselves at all and lack the situational awareness to position themselves wisely. Mitigation, healing, mobility, situational awareness are all needed to keep yourself alive. This is what sets players apart in BGs where there are no zergs to carry you.

And btw medium fortified brass + briarheart + bs is a pretty decent and balanced build actually. Theres no reason at all to just stay on bow at range with that. You just have to think about when you charge in and how you move in order to stay alive. If you get 1 shot with that build, it's a L2P issue, no offense ofc :)
    Edited by Koensol on August 20, 2019 3:37PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @festher just to make sure you know major protection is not major resolve etc

Major protection is a flat 30% damage mitigation, which is like the equivalent of like 20k resistance
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if they changed the way damage calculations work?

There was a mention of magicka % reductions being purely multiplicative in this patch, maybe they changed damage reductions to act the same way.

As a magblade I stack % damage reductions like crazy: 10% merciless, 8% minor protection and 10% buffer of the swift. With how I understood damage reductions pre-patch that would be equivalent to:

50% damage reduction from battlespirit
    10+8+10% flat damage reductions or 28% reduced from the amount past battlespirit
    Sum of my resistances in % reduces for what gets by that.
    That would mean 64% reduction plus resistances

Since I’m still getting hit by 5k hits if they changed every damage reduction to be multiplicative it would explain the damage I’m seeing. Instead of a 28% reduction it would be more like 25%.

Then with increased off balance leading to minor vulnerability 5k hits compared to others seeing 6k hits makes sense.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 20, 2019 6:15PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

There was a mention of magicka % reductions being purely multiplicative in this patch, maybe they changed damage reductions to act the same way.

As a magblade I stack % damage reductions like crazy: 10% merciless, 8% minor protection and 10% buffer of the swift. With how I understood damage reductions pre-patch that would be equivalent to:

10+8+10% flat damage reductions or 28% reduced from the amount past battlespirit

Since I’m still getting hit by 5k hits if they changed every damage reduction to be multiplicative it would explain the damage I’m seeing. Instead of a 28% reduction it would be more like 25%.

Then with increased off balance leading to minor vulnerability 5k hits compared to others seeing 6k hits makes sense.

Rough rule of thumb I use for raw damage reduction is subtract 1% for each source; so 10, 10, and 8% reductions would be closer to 25% than 28%. I think it multiplies out to 25.48%. Reductions in ESO, damage, cost, etc., generally have diminishing returns because result of the first reduction is multiplied by the second, that result by the third, and so on. You can never get to 100% mitigation.

Percent increases get increasing results for the same reason. The product of the first multiplication gets fed to the second, etc.

But being ESO, they screw their maths up quite often, lol.
  • No_Division
    No_Division
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

Rough rule of thumb I use for raw damage reduction is subtract 1% for each source; so 10, 10, and 8% reductions would be closer to 25% than 28%. I think it multiplies out to 25.48%. Reductions in ESO, damage, cost, etc., generally have diminishing returns because result of the first reduction is multiplied by the second, that result by the third, and so on. You can never get to 100% mitigation.

Percent increases get increasing results for the same reason. The product of the first multiplication gets fed to the second, etc.

But being ESO, they screw their maths up quite often, lol.

Percentage Mitigation is subtracted from Vulnerability. So add up things like protection, Swift, vamp passives and then subtract it from the sum of your vulnerability (minor vuln, vamp vuln, martial knowledge, etc). It's basically "penetration" but for percentage mitigation.

So new rule of thumb is that basically everything is 8% weaker before being applied multiplicative due to increase use of sorcs/ele weapon/shock enchant use.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didnt theorycraft this at all. im using stonekeeper monsterset for example. it isnt as u say appearantly. i think im around 27 k resistances buffed on that build. thats not high at all.
    after reading what u wrote i randomly joined a match with my pve gear and selected a few skills that seemed usefull.
    i know tanks in pvp who are tanking 4 ppl while using mystic guard on the healer and support healing the team using resto ult all the time as sorc. its quite annoying.compared to those guys on my friendlist im ***. nonetheless i dont understand how u can complain when u can tank 3 ppl without skill, effort and theorycraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV8-0xvd7Bc&feature=youtu.be
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use blessed and green pack, and walk around bgs with a ton of health, and can lead two or more people around a half the map for awhile, sometimes,. My orc necromancer is an awesome char for land grabs and other objective base games
    Edited by RedTalon on August 21, 2019 7:27AM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Noctus those were pretty low people, spamming light attacks or duration abilities, or executes on ur full heatlh. But also it's nice tanking, what sets and enchants do you use? i also have a stamdk full tank but once the second guy comes pressure becomes too big to survive it.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • JusticeSouldier
    JusticeSouldier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »
    i didnt theorycraft this at all. im using stonekeeper monsterset for example. it isnt as u say appearantly. i think im around 27 k resistances buffed on that build. thats not high at all.
    after reading what u wrote i randomly joined a match with my pve gear and selected a few skills that seemed usefull.
    i know tanks in pvp who are tanking 4 ppl while using mystic guard on the healer and support healing the team using resto ult all the time as sorc. its quite annoying.compared to those guys on my friendlist im ***. nonetheless i dont understand how u can complain when u can tank 3 ppl without skill, effort and theorycraft.

lol, seems your mmr is like 0. completly irrelevant "example". with such opponents u need no skill or gear to win
    all classes. pc platform, dissapointed.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lmao those is one of the worst collection of potato's I've ever seen in BG's 😂
    Considering their low skill and damage, you actually had more trouble keeping your hp up than you should.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Builds that rely on blocking I’ve seen work, but I find them easy to counter as a NB. Fear’s great for blockers.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Builds that rely on blocking I’ve seen work, but I find them easy to counter as a NB. Fear’s great for blockers.

Block is strong, I kinda focus more on defensive focus that offensive builds can utilize when commenting in this thread.

Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

You want Maim, you really want a way to maim
    Then you want healz,

You must mitigate via LoS and positions in BGs as well

That combo is 40% mitigation or equal to 26.4K armor. There ya go, for a light/medium armor player it puts you at around 35K effective.

What gives pause is if this is so good, why isn't magicka Necromancer the most overwhelmingly OP class there is?

They are extremely difficult to kill if they build for it. But you have a hell of a time dealing damage (I haven't experienced scalebreaker yet so that may change)

With scale changes I may be inclined to try again
    Is console still waiting on Scalebreaker? If so...you can expect Magicka Necromancer to have far better offense than before, via the "generic" DOTs + Skeletal Mage no longer being total garbage, but you're also going to be incredibly squishy. Honestly though, that's everyone nowadays: mitigation basically stopped existing with this patch, at least in no-CP.

I don't really enjoy MMO PvP that feels so much like a first person shooter, so I haven't been playing a whole lot, but still have yet to see a single person that I'd describe as being "tanky" at all. Health bars bounce around really fast if there's a lot of healing on a team, and if there's not a lot of healing, anyone without good mobility + good ping just craters in the blink of an eye.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Block is strong, I kinda focus more on defensive focus that offensive builds can utilize when commenting in this thread.

well if ppl wanna have minutes long fights they can go cp pvp. we still have super high survivability in high mmr with teams running warden and templars. but if 2 dps meet each other what do u expect. if defense gets stronger those block tank builds would be way to strong.

as i said some of my friendlist tank 3+ ppl in high mmr. they use for example SnB block build on sorc spamming resto ult. that build is insanely strong
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just numbers on stat sheets, put temporal guard back bar for minor protection in defence mode, if necro another 10 percent from guardian ghost skill. You arnt going to be better/tankier staring at just your stats sheet. It takes practice and knowledge of gameplay mechanics also
    Edited by magictucktuck on August 21, 2019 8:51PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

Lmao those is one of the worst collection of potato's I've ever seen in BG's 😂
    Considering their low skill and damage, you actually had more trouble keeping your hp up than you should.

that moment my health got to 50 % was magsorc spamming shards from above and u maybe also noticed that the character is a vamp the less hp the better defense.
    as i said i just went in with pve gear to see if its true what have been told.
    that tank build is not even close as good to what pvp tanks can actually do.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    yea its all class canons now and mostly mag. Before this *** patch it was more balanced mag and stam players in BGs. Not anymore lol. Thats the funny thing about patches. we dont just change all the armor to compete we have to change character, meh. The changes are too drastic

So it was balanced when your build worked, now it doesn't it is unbalanced? Hmmm...

I keep hearing stam is weak this patch, yet I have a far easier time on stam than any mag spec. Wow, must just be me...

Nope, it's the same for me. My Stamblade get kills and survives much easier them my MagBlade. My StamNecro completely outperforms my MagNecro without any difficulty. My StamPlar outperforms my MagPlar.

Also I don't know if it's just me. But my Stam burst builds this patch. Seem to be way more efficient killing players and holding objectives. Than any of my Magicka DOT builds. I have nearly every set in the game. Yet I still can't get my Magicka based characters to perform on the level of my stamina characters. My Stamina ranged Bow/Bow builds even outperform my magicka characters at ranged combat.

And I just recently converted over to stamina from magicka 1 month ago. I have been playing this game since the 2014 release! Am I the only one noticing this?

• Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    yea its all class canons now and mostly mag. Before this *** patch it was more balanced mag and stam players in BGs. Not anymore lol. Thats the funny thing about patches. we dont just change all the armor to compete we have to change character, meh. The changes are too drastic

So it was balanced when your build worked, now it doesn't it is unbalanced? Hmmm...

I keep hearing stam is weak this patch, yet I have a far easier time on stam than any mag spec. Wow, must just be me...

Nope, it's the same for me. My Stamblade get kills and survives much easier them my MagBlade. My StamNecro completely outperforms my MagNecro without any difficulty. My StamPlar outperforms my MagPlar.

Also I don't know if it's just me. But my Stam burst builds this patch. Seem to be way more efficient killing players and holding objectives. Than any of my Magicka DOT builds. I have nearly every set in the game. Yet I still can't get my Magicka based characters to perform on the level of my stamina characters. My Stamina ranged Bow/Bow builds even outperform my magicka characters at ranged combat.

And I just recently converted over to stamina from magicka 1 month ago. I have been playing this game since the 2014 release! Am I the only one noticing this?

Nah, that's the reality the forum users asking for medium buffs want to ignore and refuse to acknowledge...Magicka DoTs are "broken" because they can't run around a tree or tower without sweating anymore and/or it negates their stupid hp regen builds :D

But let them get it buffed, everyone will just wear medium. I don't care because I only use hybrids, and if you think stam got buffed this patch, then you'll be happy to know hybrids got buffed far more (happens everytime ZOS nerfs stam and/or mag :D ). In fact, even in PvE they are now capable of much more...

Good thing most players aren't aware yet. Almost broke out in a cold sweat there...
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

well if ppl wanna have minutes long fights they can go cp pvp. we still have super high survivability in high mmr with teams running warden and templars. but if 2 dps meet each other what do u expect. if defense gets stronger those block tank builds would be way to strong.

as i said some of my friendlist tank 3+ ppl in high mmr. they use for example SnB block build on sorc spamming resto ult. that build is insanely strong

Is it only warden and templars? I haven’t been doing BGs much.

Maybe access to major sp/wp and crit’s the difference. I don’t see how classes can run lingering health and other poisons/pots when their class toolkit doesn’t provide a lot of buffs.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Gzorbditw
    Gzorbditw
    ✭✭✭
    Just feels like everyone is doing more damage after the patch. I know my magicka warden defenitly is.
    Bahlokdaan EU memes: https://imgur.com/a/S7jkKzi
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got tired of speed-deaths in BG's so i tuned defence up and up and UP to no avail.

My last BG i was wearing impreg (weapon/jewlery) + Fortified brass (medium) giving me 23k HP, 2300 resist (18k unbuffed) and 3400 crit resist on BOTH bars, but felt naked still.

i dont belive in defence. i dont belive the numbers are working

I have higher resistances wearing shackle breaker and bone pirate...
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx