Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

7th Legion Not functioning Properly

Royalthought
Royalthought
✭✭✭✭✭
Seventh Legion:
This item set can now only be activated from casting an ability that increases your Resistances, instead of anytime your Resistances increase. This means that things such as passives, potions, or poisons can no longer trigger this effect

Shadow Barrier
Casting a Shadow ability grants you Major Resolve and Major Ward for 3 seconds, increasing Physical and Spell Resistance by 5280. This duration is increased by 25% for each piece of Heavy Armor equipped.

For comparison, the armor master set grants resistance as a passive bonus to armor abilities but are not part of the ability itself.

However when viewing the nightblade skill description it EXPLICITLY states casting ability grants resistance. That IS the requirement to proc the set.

This is a broken mechanic that contradicts itself.

What makes this even more extreme is that, while this isn't working for what it states it should, item sets have never had exclusions to abilities vs Passives, sets, etc.. (I'll try not to make a long list of sets for various reasons)

Heres one example:

Burning Spellweave
When you deal damage with a Flame Damage ability, you have a 15% chance to apply the burning status effect to the enemy and increase your Spell Damage by 525 for 8 seconds. This effect can occur once every 12 seconds.

It procs off all flame damage. Light attacks, monster/armor set proc, etc. No ability necessary.

So please fix seventh legion. It's requirement to proc is accomplished by nightblades shadow abilities and should work but does not. Currently this class and an entire ability line is singled out and excluded unfairly and uncharacteristically.

Thank you

• ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They said it doesn't work off passives in 5.1.2 I believe.
    Edited by ThePedge on August 8, 2019 11:49AM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're a little late for the party. There was already much talk about it along the lines of "that would mean 7th legion 100% uptime for NBs" or "you can proc it via Mirage" etc.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ThePedge wrote: »

Right

"This item set can now only be activated from casting an ability that increases your Resistances, instead of anytime your Resistances increase. This means that things such as passives, potions, or poisons can no longer trigger this effect. "
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burning Spellweave
    When you deal damage with a Flame Damage ability, you have a 15% chance to apply the burning status effect to the enemy and increase your Spell Damage by 525 for 8 seconds. This effect can occur once every 12 seconds.

1. They said burning spellweave works with abilities. It works with everything.

If they are standardizing the game this proccing for all damage and 7th not working with "some" abilities that meet its requirement goes against that

2. Shadow abilities grant resistance. They are casted abilities.

I'm simply asking for consistency.
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burning Spellweave

If they are standardizing the game this proccing for all damage and 7th not working with "some" abilities that meet its requirement goes against that

You don't actively cast Shadow Barrier.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burning Spellweave

You don't actively cast Shadow Barrier.

That's why you don't passively gain resistance. It's only gained from casting abilities. Hence post.

Also, why is it problematic for some to request abilities that grant resistance to proc a set that procs from said abilities?

Meanwhile perfectly fine with sets that are intended to proc from specific abilities yet proc from all damage?
    Edited by Royalthought on August 8, 2019 12:32PM
  • KageNin
    KageNin
    ✭✭✭
    BTW with Templar Restoring Focus costing ~800 stam, you can have 100% uptime on Seventh, great design
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is functioning properly. You and me both along with everyone else on this forum knows it, you just dont like that you cannot just put it on NB and forget about it for free constant uptime.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    It is functioning properly. You and me both along with everyone else on this forum knows it, you just dont like that you cannot just put it on NB and forget about it for free constant uptime.

Which shadow ability is free?
  • iRaivyne
    iRaivyne
    ✭✭✭
    Seventh Legion:
    This item set can now only be activated from casting an ability that increases your Resistances, instead of anytime your Resistances increase. This means that things such as passives, potions, or poisons can no longer trigger this effect
    You're missing the implications of the rest of the explanation. Shadow Barrier is a passive that increase armor and thus does not proc 7th as of 5.1.2. It doesn't matter that you use an active ability to proc shadow barrier because it's the passive skill that increase your armor, not the active skill. Your buffs will indicate "shadow barrier", not the active shadow ability, as the origin of Major Ward/Resolve.
    Edited by iRaivyne on August 8, 2019 1:03PM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burning Spellweave

Burning spellwave is actually good example of proving Your logic is wrong. It says "when You deal damage with flame damage ability" not "when You cast ability that deals flame damage". For the record for the game everything is an ability some are active ones some are passive ones. Even things like light attacks or proc sets like skoria , zaan etc will be considered as abilities but passive ones triggered by the usage of other active ones and nowhere in BSW description it mentiones it'll proc only from casting flame damage abilities but from dealing damage with them. That is a significant difference.

For 7th legion it says "casting an ability that increases your Resistances" which suggest actively using ability that have resistance increase built in its core design not granted through passive measures. Following burning spellwave logic for 7th legion to grant buff through nb passive , description would have to sound more like "when You increase Your resistances" not "casting an ability that increases your Resistances". Shadow barrier is passive ability not active one so You cannot cast shadow barrier per se You can just trigger it by actively using different abilities. Once again : You're not casting shadow barrier You just trigger it by casting something else.
    Edited by Juhasow on August 8, 2019 1:10PM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KageNin wrote: »
    BTW with Templar Restoring Focus costing ~800 stam, you can have 100% uptime on Seventh, great design

Still have to waste a skill slot at the very least.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »

Burning Spellweave

Burning spellwave is actually good example of proving Your logic is wrong. It says "when You deal damage with flame damage ability" not "when You cast flame damage ability". For the record for the game everything is an ability some are active ones some are passive ones. Even things like skoria or zaan will be considered as abilities but passive ones triggered by the usage of other active ones. For 7th legion it says "casting an ability that increases your Resistances" which suggest actively using ability that have resistance increase built in its core design not granted through passive measures. Following burning spellwave logic for 7th legion to grant buff through nb passive description would have to sound more like "when You gain resistances" not "casting an ability that increases your Resistances".

Valkyn skoria is no more of an ability than any shadow ability. It's a proc.

This is literally an exclusion to one classes mechanics.

"Casting a Shadow ability grants you Major Resolve and Major Ward for 3 seconds"

This is what the game states EXPLICITLY. Casting ability grants buffs. Literally states "ability" in the game itself.

That's the proc requirement and should absolutely work.

Other than wanting to see the class nerfed there is no reasoning behind putting a stipulation in, to prevent it from having synergy with this set.
    Edited by Royalthought on August 8, 2019 1:06PM
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol yea basically useless on NB unless you run mirage so... good luck with that.
    Kadoin wrote: »

I mean....you are going to slot that skill 100% of the time for pvp where 7th is actually used. Not exactly wasting anything.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Cheeky. Like this whole thread and everything you wrote since the change got introduced. I have never seen anyone fight so hard for consistency like you, the nightblade player that probably has golden 7th legion in bank, which is for sake of this thread and 30 posts before, totally unrelated coincidence.

Nightblades dont need set they will be proccing off cooldown just for doing normal nightblade things, when every other class has to put some brain (or at least eye on cooldown tracker addon) and resources into getting good uptime.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheeky. Like this whole thread and everything you wrote since the change got introduced. I have never seen anyone fight so hard for consistency like you, the nightblade player that probably has golden 7th legion in bank, which is for sake of this thread and 30 posts before, totally unrelated coincidence.

Nightblades dont need set they will be proccing off cooldown just for doing normal nightblade things, when every other class has to put some brain (or at least eye on cooldown tracker addon) and resources into getting good uptime.

Sounds like you have personal issues with the class and some weird stalker vibes.

Talking about what I have in the bank? Past posts? Everything I wrote? Everything? Weirdo much?

No class has exclusive access to 100% uptime with this set. If you can proc it, you can always proc it.

It doesn't make it worse if nightblades have abilities that can proc it.

This post is specifically about abilities that grant resistance that don't proc the set. That should.

Address that and we are good.
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right

"This item set can now only be activated from casting an ability that increases your Resistances, instead of anytime your Resistances increase."

Right. Casting a shadow ability increases resistances. The sentence above does not match the functionality on PTS, logically speaking. I get their intent, but their wording is wrong.
    Edited by akray21 on August 8, 2019 2:00PM
  • KageNin
    KageNin
    ✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

Its the basic skill that restores stam and increses resistances plus gives Minor mending upon cast, which stamplar doesnt use it in PvP?
    And dont get me wrong i pvp with every class so im happy i have replacement for Ravager but its doesnt seem right that classes like Stamplar can have this 100% uptime while my stamnb has to use magicka skill thats twice as expensive as any other class skill just to get the bonus. Stamsorc,stamwarden, and stamdk can have decent uptimes as well but i thought people are annoyed by cloakblades and nothing is getting done to discourage this playstyle in pvp.
    Oh and by the way we use 3,7k magicka just to get minor ward and minor resolve.
    Edited by KageNin on August 8, 2019 1:59PM
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Casting a Shadow ability grants you Major Resolve and Major Ward for 3 seconds"

This is what the game states EXPLICITLY. Casting ability grants buffs. Literally states "ability" in the game itself.

ZOS has been pretty clear that stuff in passives is separate from the abilities that proc them. Crystal Frags is not a healing ability. The Blood Magic passive is the heal. Jesus Beam is not a buff ability. The Illuminate passive is the buff. Killer's Blade is not a sustain ability. The Executioner passive is the sustain. Do you really think that ZOS is going to come along and make 7th Region proc off of a passive because of some convoluted interpretation of the tooltip? Even if they ultimately agreed with you, they will just change the tooltip, not the way 7th Legion now works.

You don't like the change to 7th Legion. Fine. Say that. Don't be disingenuous and pretend you are looking for a "bug fix". 7th Legion is working as intended. You don't like ZOS' intentions. At least be honest about it!
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burning Spellweave

Burning spellwave is actually good example of proving Your logic is wrong. It says "when You deal damage with flame damage ability" not "when You cast flame damage ability". For the record for the game everything is an ability some are active ones some are passive ones. Even things like skoria or zaan will be considered as abilities but passive ones triggered by the usage of other active ones. For 7th legion it says "casting an ability that increases your Resistances" which suggest actively using ability that have resistance increase built in its core design not granted through passive measures. Following burning spellwave logic for 7th legion to grant buff through nb passive description would have to sound more like "when You gain resistances" not "casting an ability that increases your Resistances".

Other than wanting to see the class nerfed there is no reasoning behind putting a stipulation in, to prevent it from having synergy with this set.

Have You even read what I posted ? Passive =/= active. Shadow barrier or skoria are passive abilities triggered by usage of other active ones. You cannot cast skoria and You cannot cast shadow barrier. You'll get both as a result of casting something else. 7th legion says about actively casting an ability that grants You resistance bonuses aka have that resistance bonuses built into it. Have You seen any resistance bonuses built into supprise atack description ? I havnt. Would supprise attack give You resistance bonus if You wouldnt spend points into passive called shadow barrier ? No. You are trying to avoid reality just to support Your idea. It is exclusion from 1 class mechanic because that 1 class mechanic is exclusion itself since other classes have actively casted major resistance bonuses. proc requirement makes it passively used ability not actively casted one.

Yes I think general idea was to prevent nb from being able to take way bigger adventage from wearing 7th legion then other classes. I dont see anything bad in that it's called balance. Also class is not nerfed since nb still have acces to active ability that grants resistances which is Mirage.
    Edited by Juhasow on August 8, 2019 2:19PM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    akray21 wrote: »

Right

"This item set can now only be activated from casting an ability that increases your Resistances, instead of anytime your Resistances increase."

Right. Casting a shadow ability increases resistances. The sentence above does not match the functionality on PTS, logically speaking. I get their intent, but their wording is wrong.

Did you purposefully removed the second part of what I wrote? You should work for the media. Here I post again what is written in the 5.1.2 notes:

"This item set can now only be activated from casting an ability that increases your Resistances, instead of anytime your Resistances increase. This means that things such as passives, potions, or poisons can no longer trigger this effect. "

A shadow ability does not increase your resistance. A shadow ability procs the shadow barrier passive, which in turn increases your resistance. ZOS made it very clear that it procs from "casting an ability that increases your Resistances", not from "casting an ability that procs a passive that increases your resistance." or from "anytime your resistance increase". There is that in between step of that passive.

You can argue that the patch notes and the tooltip have been poorly worded, but it's absolutely clear what the patch notes are ment to express by the second sentence. To purposfully misinterpreted seems biased and insincere.

The shadow barrier passive is free. It procs on any shadow ability as a free passive. Other classes don't have that kind of mechanic. If they want to increase their resistance, they have to use resources on specific skills, unlike the NB class which get's it for free from their their spammable. Which otherwise would mean NBs could have a neatless uptime without ever doing something specifically to proc it, simply by using their spam. That's a huge advantage over other classes. Is it that what you're asking for?

You wouldn't argue that DW's Bloodthirst is an Execute ability because of the Slaughter passive too, or are you?
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on August 8, 2019 2:42PM
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burning Spellweave

Have You even read what I posted ? Passive =/= active. Shadow barrier or skoria are passive abilities triggered by usage of other active ones. You cannot cast skoria and You cannot cast shadow barrier. You'll get both as a result of casting something else. 7th legion says about actively casting an ability that grants You resistance bonuses aka have that resistance bonuses built into it. Have You seen any resistance bonuses built into supprise atack description ? I havnt. Would supprise attack give You resistance bonus if You wouldnt spend points into passive called shadow barrier ? No. You are trying to avoid reality just to support Your idea. It is exclusion from 1 class mechanic because that 1 class mechanic is exclusion itself since other classes have actively casted major resistance bonuses. proc requirement makes it passively used ability not actively casted one.

Yes I think general idea was to prevent nb from being able to take way bigger adventage from wearing 7th legion then other classes. I dont see anything bad in that it's called balance. Also class is not nerfed since nb still have acces to active ability that grants resistances which is Mirage.

"Shadow barrier or skoria are passive abilities triggered by usage of other active ones."

Skoria is proc from heavy attacks. BSW is proc from light attacks and skoria.

Light attacks are, according to you, abilities yet the game states:

Casting a Shadow ability grants you Major Resolve and Major Ward

But to you casting shadow "abilities gaining resistance isn't an ability. lol.

Right

Did you purposefully removed the second part of what I wrote? You should work for the media. Here I post again what is written in the 5.1.2 notes:

A shadow ability does not increase your resistance. A shadow ability procs the shadow barrier passive, which in turn increases your resistance. ZOS made it very clear that it procs from "casting an ability that increases your Resistances", not from "casting an ability that procs a passive that increases your resistance." or from "anytime your resistance increase". There is that in between step of that passive.

You can argue that the patch notes and the tooltip have been poorly worded, but it's absolutely clear what the patch notes are ment to express by the second sentence. To purposfully misinterpreted seems biased and insincere.

The shadow barrier passive is free. It procs on any shadow ability as a free passive. Other classes don't have that kind of mechanic. If they want to increase their resistance, they have to use resources on specific skills, unlike the NB class which get's it for free from their their spammable. Which otherwise would mean NBs could have a neatless uptime without ever doing something specifically to proc it, simply by using their spam. That's a huge advantage over other classes. Is it that what you're asking for?

You wouldn't argue that DW's Bloodthirst is an Execute ability because of the Slaughter passive too, or are you?

It's a contradiction.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a contradiction.

No, "Shadow Barrier" (passive) grants you Major Resolve and Major Ward.

Maybe you like to re-read what is written in the patch notes:

"[...]instead of anytime your Resistances increase. This means that things such as passives, potions, or poisons can no longer trigger this effect."

Perfectly clear. Now stop trolling.
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a contradiction.

"[...]instead of anytime your Resistances increase. This means that things such as passives, potions, or poisons can no longer trigger this effect."

False.

IF the passive granted major resolve and ward nightblades would have 100% uptime.

They don't. Its granted from casted abilities.

AND AGAIN burning spellweave states: Flame damage ABILITIES. Its proc by light attacks.

That's inconsistency.

By the way, miss me with nerd attacks like trolling.

Everything I've said I've supported with evidence.

Trolling was brought up by you.
    Edited by Royalthought on August 8, 2019 3:03PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Burning Spellweave

"Shadow barrier or skoria are passive abilities triggered by usage of other active ones."

Skoria is proc from heavy attacks. BSW is proc from light attacks and skoria.

Light attacks are, according to you, abilities yet the game states:

But to you casting shadow "abilities gaining resistance isn't an ability. lol.

Right

It's a contradiction.

No actually, casting shadow abilities don't give you resistances. Remove points from your passives and then cast a shadow ability. You won't have major ward and resolve. The abilities themselves aren't providing the buff, the passives are. Just like Warden healing abilities don't provide Minor Tougness, a passive does. If it were a skill like hurricane that actually provides the buff on its own, it would work.

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a contradiction.

False.

IF the passive granted major resolve and ward nightblades would have 100% uptime.

Would you answer me: do you think Bloodthirst should be handled like an Execute (proccing sets like Sheer Venom) because of the Slaughter passive?
    [Slaugher: Increases damage with Dual Wield abilities by 20% against enemies with under 25% health."]
  • Royalthought
    Royalthought
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a contradiction.

False.

Would you answer me: do you think Bloodthirst should be handled like an Execute (proccing sets like Sheer Venom) because of the Slaughter passive?
    [Slaugher: Increases damage with Dual Wield abilities by 20% against enemies with under 25% health."]

Does the tooltip state that it's an execute?

Since it doesn't, it shouldn't.
    Edited by Royalthought on August 8, 2019 3:12PM
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a contradiction.

False.

Does the tooltip state that it's an execute?

Since it doesn't, it shouldn't.

Does the tooltip of any active Shadow ability (strike, cloak, path, fear, shade, Ult) state it increases your resistance?

Since they don't, they shouldn't proc 7th.

Case closed.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on August 8, 2019 3:22PM
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light Attacks you still have actively do.

Please tell me how you actively cast Shadow Barrier?

Trust me, I would love for it to work this way as a StamBlade. @SodanTok (who you are also arguing with in this thread) will attest to that as I got excited when I first saw the change and posted me doing it on PTS in discord :D
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right

The explanation in the second sentence is irrelevant, the important part is the rule they outlined in the first sentence. The explanation of the first sentence is wrong, which was my entire point.

Put another way, the two sentences do not make sense when put one after the other.
    Edited by akray21 on August 8, 2019 3:32PM
This discussion has been closed.