The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PTR 5.1.4- Why change Power Surge?

Matthew_Galvanus
Matthew_Galvanus
✭✭✭✭✭
It seems like every patch you are determined to erase any kind of viability that Sorcerers have. @ZOS_GinaBruno is it possible for you to have someone from the team who made the change to Power Surge please explain why they made the decision to gut this skill? Power Surge was never intended on being a skill for healers, it was always intended to be a self heal that not only buffs our damage, but mitigates some of the damage we take in dungeons so healers aren't scrambling to keep us alive when we take a hit. Not only this, but it completely destroys any semblance of viability for solo instance content like the Maelstrom Arena.

Power Surge was absolutely vital in MA, especially when running it on veteran difficulty. there is a LOT of damage to soak and between the nerfs to our shields and now this bizarre change to Power Surge, it's becoming more and more difficult and frustrating for Sorcerers to be able to function on their own. I really need someone on the team to explain this logic of taking a solo heal and completely reworking its effect so that it no longer can be used as a solo heal.

• Vermethys
    Vermethys
    ✭✭✭✭
    For PvE, you can always switch to Critical Surge and use Spell Power potions -- that's what I did when I used to farm vMA on a MagSorc last year. Though this does seem terrible for PvP Magsorcs because the healing is now far less reliable, and they'll have to switch to Critical Surge and run either Spell Power potions instead of Tri-Stat or slot Entropy (which is an ability I despise using).
    PC EU CP1400+
    In-game Username: Vermilion98

Characters & Builds
    Edith Geonette [DC Imperial Sorcerer] (AR28)
    Gorgo Aendovius [AD Imperial Dragonknight] (AR28)

My Builds:
  • Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermethys wrote: »
    For PvE, you can always switch to Critical Surge and use Spell Power potions -- that's what I did when I used to farm vMA on a MagSorc last year. Though this does seem terrible for PvP Magsorcs because the healing is now far less reliable, and they'll have to switch to Critical Surge and run either Spell Power potions instead of Tri-Stat or slot Entropy (which is an ability I despise using).

it is a terrible change all around. Why purposefully destroy a skill intended for solo healing by making it a group heal, which makes zero sense.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crit surge still gives solo healing. You only lose on the major sorcery, but you can still get it with potions, or entropy, which is a potent DoT now.
    To me, the only thing magsorcs lost is access to major sorcery, not the solo heal. Is it better or worse, I don't know.
    Edited by Elwendryll on August 6, 2019 10:19AM
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • GoodFella146
    GoodFella146
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense that sorcerers don't have class access to major sorcery.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    Crit surge still gives solo healing. You only lose on the major sorcery, but you can still get it with potions, or entropy, which is a potent DoT now.
    To me, the only thing magsorcs lost is access to major sorcery, not the solo heal. Is it better or worse, I don't know.

But it is so unintuitive and feels so wrong if magsorcs, to get the selfheal, would need to slot a stam-oriented morph of surge. It feels like crit surge will be a sorc heal of last resort, yet very desperate one resulting from lack of other choices. Surge changes, in particular no addition of major sorcery to crit morph, are half-baked at their current state, not thought through and literally scream for further adjustments to crit surge.
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »
    But it is so unintuitive and feels so wrong if magsorcs, to get the selfheal, would need to slot a stam-oriented morph of surge. It feels like crit surge will be a sorc heal of last resort, yet very desperate one resulting from lack of other choices. Surge changes, in particular no addition of major sorcery to crit morph, are half-baked at their current state, not thought through and literally scream for further adjustments to crit surge.

Oh, I'm not saying this isn't bad. Just that if people want to complain about something, it's about not having major sorcery and ST heal on the same morph. The heal is still there. Sorcery too. Just not on the same morph.
    Edited by Elwendryll on August 6, 2019 11:17AM
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes that is very obvious.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not make crit surge give both majors then....just stupid as 90% of recent changey

if you want to structure the old classes aligned to the new ones with tanking, dps, healing line fine but then you rework one class all at once and not over time...
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    why not make crit surge give both majors then....just stupid as 90% of recent changey

That's exactly what I thought, besides nobody ever complained about PS needing a rework. But what makes me fuming even more is how they introduced this change - on last patch before launch, without any (clear) previous announcement and without chance of even discussing the change. It's absolutely ridiculous. Power Surge allowed me to play solo (VMA and/or VDSA with 3 DPS) without running powerpots (super cheap) but tristats instead (crown pots if I didn't want to craft them). Now I will need to use spell power pots and run a stam morph of the skill. I really wonder who comes up with such brainless ideas!
    The Gaming Rev
    YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Magicka Nightblade, Breton
    Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, the only thing magsorcs lost is access to major sorcery, not the solo heal. Isit better or worse, I don't know.
    Tyrion87 wrote: »

this is it exactly. we are forced to take the morph intended for stamina builds in order to keep the solo heal. either they rework crit surge to give both sorcery and brutality, or revert power surge so it goes back to being the magicka equivalent, taking away the magicka surge is just shooting magicka dd sorcs in the leg by force implementing an unnecessary change that was not needed.

Edited by Matthew_Galvanus on August 6, 2019 11:46AM
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just another example of Zenimax logic. There are so many issues with the game right now, I can't even begin to fathom why this is even on the radar for a very unnecessary change.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lmfao. it's like the devs dont know or understand their own game.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayman1000 wrote: »
    lmfao. it's like the devs dont know or understand their own game.

I've said for a long time that I don't believe that any of the devs actually play the game.

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS destroyed Power Surge. Who is going to slot it now? Sure won't keep you alive in fierce combat. These changes get more ridiculous every time. Whomever came up with this brilliant idea should be fired immediately.
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's like you people are trying to be obtuse.

1) crit surge was buffed

2) power surge was made a nice aoe hot for sorc healers

3) major sorcery is gained from spell power pots you're already using on live

4) "BuT mAh CaSuAl CoNtEnT" oh you mean slotting and using Entropy, one of the best mag skills in the game next patch that provides damage, sustain, and major sorcery?

5) "2 skill slots for what used to be 1?!?!?!" no. Degeneration is replacing an AoE skill or your spammable. you're not losing anything.

6) ????????

7) magsorcs are fine. i mean, relatively speaking. pretty much all mag was gutted for hard content but we're not really talking about that, we're talking about sorcs specifically.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because sorc healers only slotted the one sorc skill, the twilight
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    power surge definitely should not have been the source of the heal over time, it really ought to have been on Daedric Tomb. no one i know of uses that morph, and it would have been great for sorc healers to bring their group buff that way.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on August 6, 2019 2:33PM
  • Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandma wrote: »
    it's like you people are trying to be obtuse.

1) crit surge was buffed

2) power surge was made a nice aoe hot for sorc healers

3) major sorcery is gained from spell power pots you're already using on live

4) "BuT mAh CaSuAl CoNtEnT" oh you mean slotting and using Entropy, one of the best mag skills in the game next patch that provides damage, sustain, and major sorcery?

5) "2 skill slots for what used to be 1?!?!?!" no. Degeneration is replacing an AoE skill or your spammable. you're not losing anything.

6) ????????

7) magsorcs are fine. i mean, relatively speaking. pretty much all mag was gutted for hard content but we're not really talking about that, we're talking about sorcs specifically.

spoken like someone who doesn't play Sorc.

1. that paltry buff doesn't make up for the fact that we no longer have an ability that grants major sorcery+ a heal triggered by crits in one skill, which is a big middle finger to all Mag sorcs because critical surge only provides major brutality, which we don't benefit from.

2. they could have altered one of the abilities from the healing skill line, messing with an intended solo heal was not necessary in the slightest.

3. A lot of players opt for Tri-stat restore pots because sorcs tend to burn through their stamina bar when blocking or dodging, this is especially prevalent in PvP, so we have to choose between being able to block or dodge, or having major sorcery which won't save you if you get nuked.

4. "one of the best mag skills in the game next patch that provides damage, sustain, and major sorcery?" lol are you for real? they didn't even give us any actual numbers on what the sustain will be like, you cannot say "it's the best mag skill in game." when you know absolutely nothing other than it provides sustain. if it isn't as good as power surge's heal was overall, then no, it's still useless.

5. except you can't have both degeneration and structured entropy because THEY ARE THE SAME SKILL. so you're still losing out and are forced to waste a slot.

6. you are literally the poster child of someone who doesn't play Sorc and talks out of their ass when the class gets nerfed.

7. Magsorcs are not fine, they are on a slippery slope, and reaching a point where it'd be considered troll to take it into endgame content because they bring nothing. Please take a little more time to do some research before you try and tell me my class isn't being smothered with bad class balancing decisions.
  • CambionDaemon
    CambionDaemon
    ✭✭✭
    I do not run spell pots, because I prefer tri-pots.

If this is for the 'many' Sorcerer healers out there then there were a lot better skills in different line that would have been better to use.

You cannot start changing skills that people have been using for years without people getting angry, especially when there was nothing wrong with the skill at all.

The original four classes need to be completely rebuilt from the ground up in one go, not this idiotic piecemeal one skill at a time.
    Edited by CambionDaemon on August 6, 2019 4:28PM
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am so glad my Sorc is a Dunmer. after reading those patch notes i simply made him a stamSorc. i mean, why would anyone think that the change is something that magSorcs really needed is beyond me. it only gutted magSorcs, since stamSorcs can still use the skill with no change. so Major Brutality for stamina but no Major Sorcery for magicka? what *** mind did that come from?
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My Sorc's gonna have to chug spell power pots now? :/
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mzprx wrote: »
    i am so glad my Sorc is a Dunmer. after reading those patch notes i simply made him a stamSorc. i mean, why would anyone think that the change is something that magSorcs really needed is beyond me. it only gutted magSorcs, since stamSorcs can still use the skill with no change. so Major Brutality for stamina but no Major Sorcery for magicka? what *** mind did that come from?
    My main was an Khajiit magsorc up until Murkmire, then she put on some VO and hurdling, used an 150% scroll and stating handing in crafting writs.

And please edit your post my main is an stamsorc and don't want to loose major brutality :)

However Dunmer and Khajiit has the racial passive "major nerf resistance" :)
    Hide tails so devs don't give it to Breton's in next patch.
    Argonians, hide your tails or the Bosmer take them to.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭

doesn't it, though?

zo$ logic, as they say.

always be sure to fix that which was never broken.
    Edited by Lylith on August 6, 2019 9:01PM
  • Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    mzprx wrote: »
    My main was an Khajiit magsorc up until Murkmire, then she put on some VO and hurdling, used an 150% scroll and stating handing in crafting writs.

And please edit your post my main is an stamsorc and don't want to loose major brutality :)

However Dunmer and Khajiit has the racial passive "major nerf resistance" :)
    Hide tails so devs don't give it to Breton's in next patch.
    Argonians, hide your tails or the Bosmer take them to.

no of course not. i would never suggest they take away Major brutality. critical surge was and should remain as the stamina version of surge, or change it so that it gives major sorcery as well, so both sides benefit like they did with Power Surge.
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like every patch you are determined to erase any kind of viability that Sorcerers have. @ZOS_GinaBruno is it possible for you to have someone from the team who made the change to Power Surge please explain why they made the decision to gut this skill? Power Surge was never intended on being a skill for healers, it was always intended to be a self heal that not only buffs our damage, but mitigates some of the damage we take in dungeons so healers aren't scrambling to keep us alive when we take a hit. Not only this, but it completely destroys any semblance of viability for solo instance content like the Maelstrom Arena.

Power Surge was absolutely vital in MA, especially when running it on veteran difficulty. there is a LOT of damage to soak and between the nerfs to our shields and now this bizarre change to Power Surge, it's becoming more and more difficult and frustrating for Sorcerers to be able to function on their own. I really need someone on the team to explain this logic of taking a solo heal and completely reworking its effect so that it no longer can be used as a solo heal.

ZOs pathetic noob garbage streamers, need to nerf sorc to win game in PVP. THats why mage sorc is always nerfed class in the game. Because noob had hard time to kill. LEt me tell you, These noobs never play mage sorc in PVP. They only play staam with super op ridiculous no skill build.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on August 6, 2019 11:30PM
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS destroyed Power Surge. Who is going to slot it now? Sure won't keep you alive in fierce combat. These changes get more ridiculous every time. Whomever came up with this brilliant idea should be fired immediately.

Someone shareholders should impeach these cancers in court. They simply making the game total garbage for some garbage streamers. FYI many ZOs employees are streamers. They are the ones with no skills need these.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on August 6, 2019 11:33PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not like pet sorcs have a lot of flexibility in what they slot. Perhaps inner light or aegis. Twilight. Volatile. There are six slots gone. Anything that goes in the remaining 4 slots has to really pack a punch or do at least double/triple duty. Power Surge did exactly that - Maj Sorcery and self healing.

Nerf my twilight. Nerf my Power Surge. Nerf my Lightning Flood. Nerf my Blockade. I loved the AoE play style of this character and she did it pretty well.

If all these nerfs go live, I can't think of a reason not to retire my magsorc since what she would have to 'adjust and adapt' to looks, walks and quacks a lot like my magblade. Why not just play my magblade.

If I had a magsorc healer, the Power Surge would be of no interest since Resto Staves (mutagen/springs nerfs) no longer earn a weapon slot in my book. Even my Templar healer will be resigning her healer creds and joining the hordes of dds if the nerfs all go live.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for some reason this just reminded me about the overload bar removal - haven't seen anyone use that skill in forever...

it's kind of weird - like they had one team who developed these class skills, and, then a whole other team showed up to change everything...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    for some reason this just reminded me about the overload bar removal - haven't seen anyone use that skill in forever...

it's kind of weird - like they had one team who developed these class skills, and, then a whole other team showed up to change everything...

Isn't that exactly what's happened?

• Matthew_Galvanus
    Matthew_Galvanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not like pet sorcs have a lot of flexibility in what they slot. Perhaps inner light or aegis. Twilight. Volatile. There are six slots gone. Anything that goes in the remaining 4 slots has to really pack a punch or do at least double/triple duty. Power Surge did exactly that - Maj Sorcery and self healing.

Nerf my twilight. Nerf my Power Surge. Nerf my Lightning Flood. Nerf my Blockade. I loved the AoE play style of this character and she did it pretty well.

If all these nerfs go live, I can't think of a reason not to retire my magsorc since what she would have to 'adjust and adapt' to looks, walks and quacks a lot like my magblade. Why not just play my magblade.

If I had a magsorc healer, the Power Surge would be of no interest since Resto Staves (mutagen/springs nerfs) no longer earn a weapon slot in my book. Even my Templar healer will be resigning her healer creds and joining the hordes of dds if the nerfs all go live.

its ironic they are trying to push more into making healing better, but they are making several builds less viable at the same time