Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Power surge 5.1.4

Amorpho
Amorpho
✭✭✭✭
"Power Surge (morph): This morph now grants its healing to up to 6 targets, but will trigger off Critical Heals rather than Critical Damage. The cooldown is 3 seconds rather than 1, to ensure it offers similar healing to other AoE heal over times."

Does it mean that magsorcs will not have a source of self heal in pve?? Or does it mean that you will be able to heal others only when your heals crit? Please tell me I'm reading it wrong and that they are not turning it into a healer skill!
The Gaming Rev
YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Magicka Nightblade, Breton
Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Stamina Templar, Orsimer
Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks like a healer skill
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magsorcs sources of healing for PvE:

1- Matriarch. It takes 2 slots and does really few damage. Still, will heal around 7-8k up to 3 targets and it´s instant. Probably not a good solution for serious DPS content but might work in 1 tank + 3 DDs dungeons.

2 - Critical Surge. It gives around 3k per second if you keep getting crits. Not bad, although a bit expensive for what it does. Not a heal on command and while it works best with shields, with shield nerfing looks like a very expensive combo for a class with serious sustain issues. Not adding Major Sorcery but you should get that from Degeneration.

3- Dark Conversion. Heals you for 7-8k and gives some nice magicka. The only issue is the casting time, it will take 2 GCDs meaning a big loss to DPS. Could work in fights where you have to stop DPSing but also takes stamina out and you could need that stamina on that fights. Been saying that should be instant to create a good selfheal even if they nerf the magicka regen a bit.

4- Potions (duh).

5- Resto staff. I know, it´s horrible for DPS but brings alot of healing power (another question is if a Sorc can sustain it). Maybe for those runs where is no healer... i think a dedicated healer will still do more wellness to the party, but who knows.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magsorcs sources of healing for PvE:

1- Matriarch. It takes 2 slots and does really few damage. Still, will heal around 7-8k up to 3 targets and it´s instant. Probably not a good solution for serious DPS content but might work in 1 tank + 3 DDs dungeons.

2 - Critical Surge. It gives around 3k per second if you keep getting crits. Not bad, although a bit expensive for what it does. Not a heal on command and while it works best with shields, with shield nerfing looks like a very expensive combo for a class with serious sustain issues. Not adding Major Sorcery but you should get that from Degeneration.

3- Dark Conversion. Heals you for 7-8k and gives some nice magicka. The only issue is the casting time, it will take 2 GCDs meaning a big loss to DPS. Could work in fights where you have to stop DPSing but also takes stamina out and you could need that stamina on that fights. Been saying that should be instant to create a good selfheal even if they nerf the magicka regen a bit.

4- Potions (duh).

5- Resto staff. I know, it´s horrible for DPS but brings alot of healing power (another question is if a Sorc can sustain it). Maybe for those runs where is no healer... i think a dedicated healer will still do more wellness to the party, but who knows.

All of these options are absolutely ridiculous, especially if (like me) you don't run pets. The genius of power surge was the fact that you healed yourself while doing damage without recasts or double-slotting. It was ideal for both group and solo play. This version is absolutely trash! At least they could have added major sorcery to Crit surge and make it more focussed on single-target survivability on both magicka and stamina.

I am so mad! I am literally fuming!!! Why on earth did they sneak this change in on the last patch before release?!! I have put up with these sort of things for years, but this one has really struck a nerve.
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I understand it, the heal for yourself procs every 1 second and the heal on others only every 3 seconds. If I am wrong, then what does it matter. Surge is already useless if you are magicka, I have never used it again after Overload was removed and next patch, entropy will be more attractive than Surge.

I might check this on the pts later though.
    Edited by Dracane on August 6, 2019 10:31AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    The way I understand it, the heal for yourself procs every 1 second and the heal on others only every 3 seconds. If I am wrong, then what does it matter. Surge is already useless if you are magicka, I have never used it again after Overload was removed and next patch, entropy will be more attractive than Surge.

The new version heals yourself and others every 3 seconds. For the 1 second proc we would need to slot crit surge instead.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭

That's what I am hoping as well. PS is not attractive unless you play solo. If you're playing solo or without a healer you're screwed. Can you imagine VMA without PS or running VDSA with 1 tank and 3 dps?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »

The new version heals yourself and others every 3 seconds. For the 1 second proc we would need to slot crit surge instead.

If that were the case, it would be a nerf but still manageable. The problem is that it heals when you crit heal - which you won't unless you are a healer.
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »

Are you certain ? That would be a disaster, unless they greatly improved the potency of the heal.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »

That's what I am hoping as well. PS is not attractive unless you play solo. If you're playing solo or without a healer you're screwed. Can you imagine VMA without PS or running VDSA with 1 tank and 3 dps?

Yes, I use crit surge for vMA, because it heals much better and my spell power comes from my potions. And in group content, I only play tank, where I do not rely on heals.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divines Preserve ! What have they done ! This has to be the most useless ability in the game now. O.O They kept the pathetic amount of health it restores and trippled the cooldown + it only works on heals, which Sorcerer has none really. Who in the 8 planes of Aurbis is responsible for this non-sense ? :D

This is absolutely useless for healers and solo players alike. Please just delete the class already, end its suffering.

ru5m1qlf87l5.png
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divines Preserve ! What have they done ! This has to be the most useless ability in the game now. O.O They kept the pathetic amount of health it restores and trippled the cooldown + it only works on heals, which Sorcerer has none really. Who in the 8 planes of Aurbis is responsible for this non-sense ? :D

This is absolutely useless for healers and solo players alike. Please just delete the class already, end its suffering.

ru5m1qlf87l5.png

How do you activate a crit heal
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ru5m1qlf87l5.png

It is poorly worded. It activates whenever one of your heals crit and it does not seem to matter who is critically healed by it, the effect will activate for everyone. However, 2500 health every 3 seconds does not bother anyone, neither does it make any difference.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ru5m1qlf87l5.png

It is poorly worded. It activates whenever one of your heals crit and it does not seem to matter who is critically healed by it, the effect will activate for everyone. However, 2500 health every 3 seconds does not bother anyone, neither does it make any difference.

???

2.5k is basically a usual AoE HoT tick. With Healing Springs / Regeneration being up this will activate on CD.

The changes are great for Sorc healers the only question is the range it has. If it’s just 10m around the Sorc it’s bad, if it’s 20 or even 28m this skill is an amazing passive kind-of-HoT. On top of that it’s cheap with a very long duration.
    Edited by Seraphayel on August 6, 2019 2:04PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

ru5m1qlf87l5.png

???

2.5k is basically a usual HoT tick but this is an AoE heal and not just a ST one. With Healing Springs / Regeneration being up this will activate on CD.

The changes are great for Sorc healers the only question is the range it has. If it’s just 10m around the Sorc it’s bad, if it’s 20 or even 28m this skill is an amazing passive kind-if-HoT.

Definately not. 2,5k (which does not scale with your spell damage and magicka) every 3 seconds is very poor. My Grand healing heals for 1,7k every second unconditionally and my mutagen heals for the same amount. So no, Surge is not usual and is terrible for everyone.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ru5m1qlf87l5.png

???

2.5k is basically a usual HoT tick but this is an AoE heal and not just a ST one. With Healing Springs / Regeneration being up this will activate on CD.

The changes are great for Sorc healers the only question is the range it has. If it’s just 10m around the Sorc it’s bad, if it’s 20 or even 28m this skill is an amazing passive kind-if-HoT.

Definately not. 2,5k (which does not scale with your spell damage and magicka) every 3 seconds is very poor. My Grand healing heals for 1,7k every second unconditionally and my mutagen heals for the same amount. So no, Surge is not usual and is terrible for everyone.

It’s a cheap, passive, long duration AoE HoT. It’s far from terrible and I am very much looking forward to it. I think it’s quite good.

It’s only terrible if you compare it to skills you shouldn’t compare it to. It’s just an additional layer of healing on top of Grand Healing and Regeneration and basically Sorc‘s equivalent of Refreshing Path / Eruption etc.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the most ridiculous changes that I've seen, since the game launched. Given that I main a MagSorc, I'll be mothballing my account until they come to their senses. Why would you completely gut a class heal and source of Major Sorcery for the SORCER class??? Who is in charge of these decisions, and why are they still there???
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • DeathStalker
    DeathStalker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Amorpho wrote: »
    I am so mad! I am literally fuming!!! Why on earth did they sneak this change in on the last patch before release?!! I have put up with these sort of things for years, but this one has really struck a nerve.

I feel the same way. I was waiting to renew my sub but changes like this and vigor just make me feel like maybe I would just have more fun playing another game.
  • Poinki
    Poinki
    ✭✭✭
    Why, why touch Zeni the Surge?! First, they nerv aoe, then take him the heal with Surge?! If you dont wanna play with the irritating Pets!? I dont play pvp, but i dont like the new "genius ideas" from zeni. The Sorc is (was) my favorite Char, simple to play, and do his job with his specific Skills from the own Skillline.The sorc on the PTS is crippled for me Ö.Ö Sad.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the dumbest changes ever. Whomever came up with Power Surge providing a group heal should be fired. This is absurd. There is now no reason to slot Power Surge since it won't provide enough healing in fierce combat.

Looks like I will have to use Entropy like so many others. Thanks ZOS. Truly unreal with this change!!
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, I think I mostly understand the thought process behind trying to make it less powerful given it's an AoE heal. Maybe it kind of makes sense on paper, like in terms of a turn based RPG or something like that I suppose, but it just doesn't play out as well for a MMORPG like Elder Scroll given its proc condition and cooldown.

The former isn't so bad in itself but the nature of heals are something that's more on demand based, which really the critically healing heal skill you're already putting out is probably already doing in itself to keep health bars topped off or the burst heal you'd mainly cast in an 'oh ***' moment. It's pretty up in the air with just that but with that 3 second cooldown, it's just a definite no.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ru5m1qlf87l5.png

???

It’s a cheap, passive, long duration AoE HoT. It’s far from terrible and I am very much looking forward to it. I think it’s quite good.

It’s only terrible if you compare it to skills you shouldn’t compare it to. It’s just an additional layer of healing on top of Grand Healing and Regeneration and basically Sorc‘s equivalent of Refreshing Path / Eruption etc.

Uhm well, if you like it, then so be it. :) I doubt you truly like it, but I mind not.
    As I have said before, I could not care less. I have never liked power surge and have not used it in ages and now, I surely will never use it again. I have worked on a healer setup and I do not have space for something as meaningless as this. I do have 1 flexspot, which can be filled with plenty of more attractive and IMPACTFUL options.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad that you're looking forward to this, but I honestly don't think that it makes sense to change this skill to cater to the 3 Sorc Healers, while crippling the skill for the vast majority of the PvE MagSorcs who use it in it's current form.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS needs to stop cramming the stam/mag divide down our throats. This would be fine if they just merged both previous morphs into one - that'd give one morph for AoE healing/support, and one for personal use that could be used by all builds.

I'm a college kid on summer vacation and thought of this at 10:30am EST. That's a whole hour and a half before my brain officially starts working. ZOS has no excuse.
    Edited by Tonturri on August 6, 2019 2:32PM
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    so i went an made a sorc healer, or at least what i would run as a sorc healer, on the pts, these are the numbers i got from it-

dI0h23b.jpg

3.6k every 3 seconds.

illustrious healing though-

UB3OPaP.jpg

the stats of the toon, seem pretty good to me, using bogdans, nonperfect olo and IA with just surge up-

Z1jG60w.jpg

Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on August 6, 2019 2:38PM
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a DD, if you cast Structured Entropy with a minor lifesteal present (like from Blood Altar), Power Surge proc almost on cd:
    https://youtu.be/3Pe2uoUPrWM

That creates nice choice - either heal yourself on damage each 1s with highier amount (Crit Surge) or heal allies each 3s (Power Surge). Major Sorcery is subpar since you will use Entropy anyway because its a very nice dot. Also casting Frags also heals from passive and that heal can also crit.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »
    On a DD, if you cast Structured Entropy with a minor lifesteal present (like from Blood Altar), Power Surge proc almost on cd:
    https://youtu.be/3Pe2uoUPrWM

That creates nice choice - either heal yourself on damage each 1s with highier amount (Crit Surge) or heal allies each 3s (Power Surge). Major Sorcery is subpar since you will use Entropy anyway because its a very nice dot. Also casting Frags also heals from passive and that heal can also crit.

Minor lifesteal is a good thought. Could actually be quite nice if sorc was given a source of it, such as if the matriarch applied it on attacks. Magsorcs that continue to pet sorc then have a decent way of proccing power surge and can continue to use the maj sorcery morph (while sacrificing damage for the added healing), whereas petless magsorcs should have bar space for entropy and can use that for maj sorcery and swap to crit surge for their own heals.

Would imaginably still be simpler to just add maj sorcery to all iterations of the skill. And the 3 sec cd is still weak, but it is what it is I guess.
  • nekura
    nekura
    ✭✭✭
    Siphon in resto is lifesteal / magickasteal and instant now.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nekura wrote: »
    Siphon in resto is lifesteal / magickasteal and instant now.

Yeah, certainly an option if you want to use lifesteal for power surge procs, but I assume that if you’re running resto you probably have enough other heals to be proccing it on cd anyway. Just brainstorming ways to potentially alleviate solo sorc worry.
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This skill is now useless in PvP for magsorc. In order to keep my survivalability I will need to slot Critical Surge and use spell power potions as there is simply no space on my bar to put Entropy.
    I was one of those nice sorcs - you know - those who do not stack shields. But after this nerf, I'm going have to embrace the cancer sheild stacking meta... if I decide to return to this game.
  • Taloros
    Taloros
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm speechless.

Nerf the Matriarch to a degree that basically removes that skills from the game.

Now the same for Crit Surge - but only the Magicka variant, of course, Stamina morph stays the same.

Why? Just why?