The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The light attack meta

Delparis
Delparis
✭✭✭✭✭
Atm LA is doing too much dps (about 25% of the parse). This isn't good as LA do much more dmg than some skills (spammable ones).
I think this is game breaking as LA should be included in the rotation only to get ressources back and not do that much dmg.

I propose those change:
  • Decrease LA dmg with all weapons by 75%
  • Make LA generate ressources per hit (100 stamina or magicka)
  • Increase the HA dmg by 30% and ressources gained by 10% to compensate the loss in dps from LA and make a place for HA in the rotation.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LA Nerf thread,

Soon you will realize being attacked by army of forum warriors. :p
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn to weave.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Learn to weave.

Its not just about weave, currently light attack is most damage dealing in DPS parses,

Even heavy attacks were a little thing in past.
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Eomer wrote: »
    LA Nerf thread,

LA is over performing and does more dps than HA. This is a balancing issue and need to be fixed.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »
    LA Nerf thread,

LA is over performing and does more dps than HA. This is a balancing issue and need to be fixed.

This a conscious design decision. ZOS has stated numerous times that LA are for damage and HA are for sustain.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Learn to weave.

Its not just about weave, currently light attack is most damage dealing in DPS parses,

Even heavy attacks were a little thing in past.

During heavy attack meta heavy attacks were also number 1 in DPS parses on stamina builds. It wasnt't shown in metrics as number 1 because dual wield have heavy attack split into 2 components but if You added them it was number 1. Also I dont know why it is an issue if You're being rewarded for learning how to weave and play with it. If You want to stay with easy yet still effective rotation go with heavy attack spam. It's not like perfect light attack weaving is must have for every DD to complete the content.

Also when people say "light attacks deal up to 20% DPS" that means 80% of that DPS comes from other sources and even weak light attack weaving still will give You some portion of that 20% so usually if Your rotation is proper but light attack weaving sucks or You'll need to use heavy attacks still You'll end up with 80+% DPS of top parses if You know what to do. I think people just likes to blame everything else for their weak parses other then themselves and lack of practice.
    Edited by Juhasow on August 4, 2019 1:59PM
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think zos want to let all players able to get a good dps with [sets] playing for them and [overpowered light attacks].

It may make "good players" beeing frustrated. But what's the most important ?
    Now a good player is someone dealing with Light Attacks.
    And now, sets based on the light attacks are the best ones.

Edited by Xarc on August 4, 2019 12:52PM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CkXwfpD.jpg
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    LA Nerf thread,

This a conscious design decision. ZOS has stated numerous times that LA are for damage and HA are for sustain.

Yep.

Morrowind - heavy attacks are now necessary for sustain, because ZOS nerfed everything else.

Summerset - ZOS massively buffed Light Attacks (and has been trying to nerf DPS in other ways ever since.)

I think its a misguided attempt to diminish the necessity of a "rotation" for decent DPS for new players. After all, its easy to light attack, right?

Problem is, it really skyrockets the DPS of anyone who can light attack weave consistently...while leaving behind anyone who can't. That's not all a L2Weave issue, as lag, bad internet, and high ping can make precise timing for weaving very difficult. So while it lowers one DPS ceiling, in a sense, it creates a different DPS floor/ceiling that is very dependent on timing and weaving.
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worst design ever.

between this and the traders im not sure how much more anti player you can get.

people literally flee this game to ffix because of these two grotesque abominations.

lol
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the offensive power of LA is currently through the roof and I'd love to see a shift in damage distribution in favour of class skills, replacing LAs with HAs is not the answer. First, because it would not solve anything; class skills would still be inferior. Second, because HAs are incredibly, mind-numbingly dull.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like light attacks to be nerfed slightly so that missing some isn't as important as it is currently. Obviously hitting all your light attacks would still be an increase in dps but not nearly as much as it is currently.
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Any explanation as to why it should happen except the fact that you don't like it? ^^ I mean, in many games basic attacks is the primary source of damage, and sometimes you insert some spells in-between, as something to make combat special. It's all convention. I like conventions that encourage players to practice and become more skillful.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Duh. Instead of casting 10 different skills keep spamming spammable and it will be highest thing on parse. LA definitely dont do more damage than spammables, that is big lie. Why do you make thread where you lie?
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would bring back a whole other issue in pvp, yet again. No. That was some of the worst cancer pvp ive experienced yet, so far only beaten by the proccmeta and now the tankmeta.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If your light attacks are top in your parse, then you are doing it right. You have figured out how to use the mechanics of the game to achieve this. Maybe this was by accident, but either way, grats.
    Royaji wrote: »
    LA Nerf thread,

This is true.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    Duh. Instead of casting 10 different skills keep spamming spammable and it will be highest thing on parse. LA definitely dont do more damage than spammables, that is big lie. Why do you make thread where you lie?

Just looking at the top atro parse for nightblades show that light attacks are hiding around 23k vs ele weapon's 29k. That's not as much of a difference.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure which parses exactly you’re referencing, but there’s a good chance the Light Attacks you see are being buffed by something. The Maelstrom Destruction Staff set bonus makes Light Attacks hit about 40% harder, so if you see 25% damage from Light Attacks it’s really approx 18% from the Light Attacks themselves and 7% from giving up 2 gear slots and keeping good uptime on Wall.

Then there’s also Empower to consider, which is another 40% increase to Light Attacks. Magplar can keep close to 100% uptime in this by using Solar Barrage. I don’t recall exactly how Empower interacts the the Maelstrom Inferno Staff, but for a rough approximation let’s just say each adds a flat 40%. Now if you see a Magplar parse with 25% damage from Light Attacks it’s really split up more like: 13% from Light Attacks, 6% from Maelstrom effect, 6% from Solar Barrage empower.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CkXwfpD.jpg

this ^
    well said.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it REALLY too much work to click your left mouse button?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

its much easier to go get yourself an xbox elite controller or razr/logitech product & automate that.

aka skill....

It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    Rungar wrote: »

its much easier to go get yourself an xbox elite controller or razr/logitech product & automate that.

aka skill....

Idk what an elite controller had to do with it, ive never had one just a regular wireless one and myself and lots of other players on console don't have a problem weaving. I mean youre just tapping the trigger between skills, not much to it.
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    high ping can make precise timing for weaving very difficult.
    That's bs.

I play with 250ms(on good days) and I can easily weave light attacks, combat metrics showing avg of 0,92 la/s on my parses (although I imagine It could be higher if I had NA ping). That's with both dualshock controler and mouse (yes I am one of those weird guys who plays with controler on PC somtimes lol.) so ping is definitly not an issue. Unstable ping will kill your performance in any game and can't be used as excuse to nerf something.

Also, there isn't a balance issue. Light attack is designed for damage, Heavy attack is designed to restore resources.

Stop trying to make the game adapt to you, learn to play and adapt to the game.
    Edited by Nevasca on August 4, 2019 7:17PM
  • iCaliban
    iCaliban
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer damage be given back to skills rather than LA weaving. (I weave quite well btw) its just not very interesting when LA hit harder than the skills you are casting.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    This is simply stupid, in majority of games your weapon strikes is your main damage output, abilities are mostly for buffs or cc. It is bullets in FPS, sword/hammer/arrows strikes in fantasy action games etc. The only thing I dislike about ESO light attacks is uselessness of medium attacks and counter-intuitive manner of damage output/sustain from different attacks.
    Heavy attack should actually consume resources instead of restoring them, like IRL. HA should be some kind of spammable between dots (which also will free slot on bar), weaved LA should have animation melded with ability animation and simply empower used ability, while medium attacks which resemble usual rhythmic sword play should provide lesser but still okay dps and allow to restore resources naturally via recovery. Proper timing and duration of all 3 kinds of attacks will determine dps skill.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light attacks are on top of your parse, because you light attack more than use any skill!

Try Light attack weaving only your spammable. If your light attacks are higher than your spammable, then we can talk about nerfing light attacks!
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To anyone that is starting waving, use elemental weapon (it forces you to use LA). Slowly add other skills and do LAs.
    It helps a lot to start this strange thing.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not gonna happen because all the pew pew players will flood with their tears these forums in such an event.

I am sure that melee players wouldnt care as much if the change was universal.
    Ranged players benefit big time from LA for obvious reasons

• Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad Idea,

I want to be able to LA the *** out of other players while surfing in a 20+ player zerg.
  • Borat
    Borat
    ✭✭✭
    This is the game where i enjoy the combat most, ont only you have to have the right build etc.. but you have to be mechanically good and not just a button smasher like maky other games. Weaving and Cancelling animations is so fun and makes it harder for people to reach 80K+ DPS. This means only the ones that truly care will get high DPS while the rest can play more casually.

This thread is cancer for the high end game players of the game. Hope they never change the system