The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Faction lock killing the game's population?

TexGod
TexGod
✭✭✭
Vivec went from having PVP every single night to late hours, to a select few AD guilds PVDooring the map. It's 10:30 P:M here and there's no one to fight.

Seems like the only time there is good PVP is on weekends now.

Thoughts?
@S_oviet
GM of Cutest Boys
PC/NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It helps if you specify your Platform/Server.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id say performance and bugs are doing a fine job on themselves already
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Id say performance and bugs are doing a fine job on themselves already

I can't speak for others but performance, bugs, lag, ballgroups and faction lock all contributed to my departure from PvP and ESO.
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TexGod wrote: »
    Vivec went from having PVP every single night to late hours, to a select few AD guilds PVDooring the map. It's 10:30 P:M here and there's no one to fight.

Thoughts?

When elsweyr dropped on the xbox i noticed there were less players in cyrodiil, its aparent on EP.
  • LuminaLilly
    LuminaLilly
    ✭✭✭✭
    TexGod wrote: »

Thoughts?

When elsweyr dropped on the xbox i noticed there were less players in cyrodiil, its aparent on EP.

My guess is that, with all the new content, and necro. Everyone is grouping up, leveling, BG, and so on. On xbox NA, cyro is a huge ball zerg circle jerk.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly not helping.

I was a true blue, a 100% DC loyalist for the longest time, till bgs, when i began teaming with people id been playing against or had yet to meet in cyrodiil. Surprise surprise. I befriended a few people but now to play on the same side means contribution to premade messes in the bgs or resort to the mini golf that imperial city has become.

(I didnt even mention the etiquette of meeting friends in cyrodiil, like should i not just zerg you but that's rude but what if you could legitimately wipe me and group out with a few bashes but i stood there light attacking?)

In a way you'd think faction lock wouldn't have affected me, as a dc loyalist. But now I have now 1 ep and 1 ad and I'll be cursed i cant use them in cyrodiil except to pve resources and outposts.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP pop has been tanking since launch.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly isn't doing the game any favors when many people cannot play whatever character they want to play or play with all their friends.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction lock removal would not change that from happening
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know that I and three other friends have not set foot in Cyrodiil to PvP since they put in the faction locks.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I worked for a computer games company about ten years ago the mantra was never to limit player interactions because no matter how well designed or intentioned it invariably resulted in a drop in population. The coding for faction locks though, considering how many potential ways there are to get stuck in a faction you don’t want to play in, looks like it was nocked together by the office temp 😆
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was a true blue, a 100% DC loyalist for the longest time, till bgs, when i began teaming with people id been playing against or had yet to meet in cyrodiil. Surprise surprise. I befriended a few people but now to play on the same side means contribution to premade messes in the bgs or resort to the mini golf that imperial city has become.

(I didnt even mention the etiquette of meeting friends in cyrodiil, like should i not just zerg you but that's rude but what if you could legitimately wipe me and group out with a few bashes but i stood there light attacking?)

That's crazy talk. It's almost like players with different colors are humans that you might enjoy playing with as well as against.
  • Borat
    Borat
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sad you can't spy anymore. This should have been like this since the begginning, fair play = fun play
  • ATomiX69
    ATomiX69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Borat wrote: »
    Are you sad you can't spy anymore. This should have been like this since the begginning, fair play = fun play

There was faction lock at the very beginning of ESO and they removed it again after a few patches.
    smurf account
    New PvP content when?
    Better cyro performance when?
    Farmed about 3 GO's worth of AP
    world 3rd immortal redeemer (22.02.18) and other not noteworthy trifectas
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Perfect example of a delusional person
  • SKYICE01
    SKYICE01
    ✭✭✭
    ATomiX69 wrote: »

There was faction lock at the very beginning of ESO and they removed it again after a few patches.

Lol but you could still go any faction if in group
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer smaller zergs without cheating than the previous alternative.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the Cydoill population left years ago and it had nothing to do with faction locks. It had everything to do with how poorly Zos has managed Cyrodiil and they stay away because Zos is still poorly managed. What is left is a shell of the former population.
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO CP has been an absolute blast lately on PC NA.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP. In PC NA 30d cp campaign, for the last 2 campaigns (last 40 days) only AD has had robust populations.

After about 10 pm EST EP population drops to almost nothing.

Even in prime time when ZOS claims EP is pop locked, can often get right in with no que.

During prime time AD has appeared to have huge populations often raiding two keeps at once with 2 fullraids each keep. EP can sometimes put up a vigorous defense of , eg BRK, with 30-40 EP; but then AD faction event occurs with 100+ AD; EP has been constantly outnumbered last 40 days.

Last night AD once again had EP scroll, around 11 pm est, we could only get 6 EP to siege Fareygyl, we flagged it then wiped by 30+ AD. Gets old, what's the point?

I do blame faction lock. I think in the past when populations got unbalanced, smalll groups/guilds would switch to their other characters. Now they are stuck on one faction the whole month, and this has been AD recently. I can't thin k of any other explanation.

Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record, there's more to the game than PVP. Not to say it isn't important and the main thing that some players play for, but "killing the game's population" is a lot different from "players are leaving PVP".

I'd also like to take yet another opportunity to say "told ya so" to everyone who thought faction locks were a good thing back in 2018. I mean, it's really juvenile and doesn't really help anyone at this point, but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside so I'm doing it anyway.

Hopefully with enough of these threads ZOS will realize their mistake and roll faction locks back, maybe even to a happy medium between faction lockers and anti-faction lockers.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faction lock is killing off hours.

Vivec is literally 2 bar at midnight now.

That’s crazy.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP died in this game years ago, the game is down to 3 lvl 50 campaigns, one of which is basically dead, the other two are often pitifully low pop outside of prime and then even with prime if you think locked pop now is the same number of players as it once was, then think again.

And it has nothing to do with faction locks, the population has been pitiful for a long time. The truth is RvR doesn't work as a game mode, so it fails in every game that tries it.

For people bothered about "winning" the match it doesn't work because a 24/7 mode with population/coverage differences render it a joke as a competition, so "winning" becomes worthless to all bar the terminally stupid.

And then for fights it is also garbage, because it lacks mechanisms to create good challenging, skilled PvP, so again all you are left with is super casual players zerging or bads who find rolling face across the keyboard against less experienced players or less organised / tryhard groups to be "compelling", "skilled" gameplay.

So basically it only appeals to people content with low quality PvP & low quality gameplay, which is a small minority when "rewards" are also low.

Edited by Sylosi on August 2, 2019 8:07PM
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy to heave a sarcastic "I told you so" to ZOS when stuff like this happens, but then you realize you're looking at what appears to be death throws of a community you've been a part of for years and suddenly that vindication doesn't seem to matter much anymore.

I hate this.

Revert faction locks.
    Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i saw pop dropped since BETA was release, and since AD won the last campaign, the same groups seem to stick with the same strategy while EP just kinda "give up" this round.

personally tho i'm just enjoying summer.......
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Faction lock is killing off hours.

Vivec is literally 2 bar at midnight now.

That’s crazy.

It didn't even pop lock last night in prime time. DC was at 3 bars for a while and I'm not sure EP ever did lock at all.

I haven't seen DC have a queue in the past two months.
  • Crispen_Longbow
    Crispen_Longbow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    I agree with OP. In PC NA 30d cp campaign, for the last 2 campaigns (last 40 days) only AD has had robust populations.

After about 10 pm EST EP population drops to almost nothing.

Even in prime time when ZOS claims EP is pop locked, can often get right in with no que.

During prime time AD has appeared to have huge populations often raiding two keeps at once with 2 fullraids each keep. EP can sometimes put up a vigorous defense of , eg BRK, with 30-40 EP; but then AD faction event occurs with 100+ AD; EP has been constantly outnumbered last 40 days.

Last night AD once again had EP scroll, around 11 pm est, we could only get 6 EP to siege Fareygyl, we flagged it then wiped by 30+ AD. Gets old, what's the point?

I do blame faction lock. I think in the past when populations got unbalanced, smalll groups/guilds would switch to their other characters. Now they are stuck on one faction the whole month, and this has been AD recently. I can't thin k of any other explanation.

Last night was an anomaly for PC NA 30 Day CP campaign Primetime...
    1. Drac called off their raid. So there are 16 players gone.
    2. Army of the Pact decided to go play in No CP - There are 36 players gone.
    3. Vae Victus didn't have raid and went to Imperial City - there are 24 players gone.

So 75 players, which is probably over half the EP population now for Primetime, weren't running their raids.

Tyr was the only EP group running last night. Typically EP will have 4 full raids running Thursdays in Primetime. It was a super boring night last night.

Yes Faction locks are bad and should be reverted. I'm personally not a fan of some of the most vocal Anti-faction lock people but they should have the right to play with their friends whenever they want and on whichever alliance they want.
    Crispen Longbow - Daggerfall Covenant (DC): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Blue VE, Khole, LoM, MO)
    Crispen Longboww - Aldmeri Dominion (AD): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - Crispen's House of Pain RIP (KP, Yellow VE, Omni)
    Crispen Longbow-EP - Ebonheart Pact (EP): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Red VE)
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its summer guys its as always. Less persone plays since its all sunny outside.

Same thing every years
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People can blame faction lock, theyd be wrong.

Performance drove people away, ZOS mishandling of the game since beta drove people away, the money grabbing drives people away.

The fact they still do not balance mathematically correct drives people away.

The fact 1 v X is a shell of itself drives people away.

How stupid CP is, drives people away.

Cyrodiil needs a huge overhaul.