The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Faction lock killing the game's population?

• Janoy
    Janoy
    ✭✭
    I don’t understand how people still advocate for faction locking. IMO those who see it as a positive change are those who want the game mode to die so they can endlessly farm doors. Anyone who uses the “spying” excuse, lol, get real. It’s a video game, no one gives a *** about spying. Scroll trolling, hammer trolling - all the same, who cares? If you stress over these things that much, it’s time to get off the computer and go outside. Unfortunately all the NEETS are the ones who sit on the forums all day and whine. Get rid of faction locking so people can actually play with friends again.
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    I agree with OP. In PC NA 30d cp campaign, for the last 2 campaigns (last 40 days) only AD has had robust populations.

After about 10 pm EST EP population drops to almost nothing.

Even in prime time when ZOS claims EP is pop locked, can often get right in with no que.

During prime time AD has appeared to have huge populations often raiding two keeps at once with 2 fullraids each keep. EP can sometimes put up a vigorous defense of , eg BRK, with 30-40 EP; but then AD faction event occurs with 100+ AD; EP has been constantly outnumbered last 40 days.

Last night AD once again had EP scroll, around 11 pm est, we could only get 6 EP to siege Fareygyl, we flagged it then wiped by 30+ AD. Gets old, what's the point?

I do blame faction lock. I think in the past when populations got unbalanced, smalll groups/guilds would switch to their other characters. Now they are stuck on one faction the whole month, and this has been AD recently. I can't thin k of any other explanation.

Last night was an anomaly for PC NA 30 Day CP campaign Primetime...
    1. Drac called off their raid. So there are 16 players gone.
    2. Army of the Pact decided to go play in No CP - There are 36 players gone.
    3. Vae Victus didn't have raid and went to Imperial City - there are 24 players gone.

So 75 players, which is probably over half the EP population now for Primetime, weren't running their raids.

Tyr was the only EP group running last night. Typically EP will have 4 full raids running Thursdays in Primetime. It was a super boring night last night.

Yes Faction locks are bad and should be reverted. I'm personally not a fan of some of the most vocal Anti-faction lock people but they should have the right to play with their friends whenever they want and on whichever alliance they want.

Army of the pact hasnt been a thing since Crow quit. They will occasionally have 24 lead by Adamus but it's a pug group not a guild group afaik. Also your definition on "full raids" is interesting. Drac currently runs approx 12m not 16. Tyr caps at 18. VV goes with 24 that's it aside from pugs. If you compare this with Omni 20+ DK 20+ DIG 20+ YF 12(iirc) DD 12 + Pugs. It's quite a stark contrast in more 'organised' faction numbers most nights.
    I guess you are maybe referring to a measurement of raid strength worth though maybe.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on August 6, 2019 3:31PM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its summer guys its as always. Less persone plays since its all sunny outside.

Same thing every years

That has always been when the most people play, not when people play the least. The time when people farm ap and try to get emp.

Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Crispen_Longbow
    Crispen_Longbow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP. In PC NA 30d cp campaign, for the last 2 campaigns (last 40 days) only AD has had robust populations.

Even in prime time when ZOS claims EP is pop locked, can often get right in with no que.

During prime time AD has appeared to have huge populations often raiding two keeps at once with 2 fullraids each keep. EP can sometimes put up a vigorous defense of , eg BRK, with 30-40 EP; but then AD faction event occurs with 100+ AD; EP has been constantly outnumbered last 40 days.

Last night AD once again had EP scroll, around 11 pm est, we could only get 6 EP to siege Fareygyl, we flagged it then wiped by 30+ AD. Gets old, what's the point?

I do blame faction lock. I think in the past when populations got unbalanced, smalll groups/guilds would switch to their other characters. Now they are stuck on one faction the whole month, and this has been AD recently. I can't thin k of any other explanation.

3. Vae Victus didn't have raid and went to Imperial City - there are 24 players gone.

So 75 players, which is probably over half the EP population now for Primetime, weren't running their raids.

Tyr was the only EP group running last night. Typically EP will have 4 full raids running Thursdays in Primetime. It was a super boring night last night.

Yes Faction locks are bad and should be reverted. I'm personally not a fan of some of the most vocal Anti-faction lock people but they should have the right to play with their friends whenever they want and on whichever alliance they want.
    Army of the pact hasnt been a thing since Crow quit. They will occasionally have 24 lead by Adamus but it's a pug group not a guild group afaik.

Adamus runs their groups now. They still have 2 raids that run. The first group has 24 the second group is as many as they can fill. This can be anywhere from 10 - 20. The second raid just follows the main group. This is why Ahtu is asking for a group size to be increased to 36. That way adamus can just run all 36 in the same group.
    Also your definition on "full raids" is interesting. Drac currently runs approx 12m not 16.

Good to know, that you guys have decreased your numbers and now only run approx 12m. In future, I will reference 12 for Drac. Omni is built for 18 and we run approx 18. I expect the same courtesy from Drac.
    If you compare this with Omni 20+

We don't hardcap at 18 just like you don't hardcap at 12. Sometimes we have less sometimes we have more. Just like you guys do.
    If you compare this with Omni 20+ DK 20+ DIG 20+ YF 12(iirc) DD 12 + Pugs. It's quite a stark contrast in more 'organised' faction numbers most nights.

These guilds don't run at the same time and don't run Primetime. Omni runs twice a week. Tues and Thursday nights AD has 1 other guild that runs besides Omni on those nights.

DIG & DD don't run primetime raids on Tues or Thurs. They are typically night groups.
    Yellow Fever is usually a small man of 4-6 during primetime play.

TD (Pug Zone Group) or DK is usually the other guild that is running during primetime on Tues and Thurs.

Fantasia will come into play 2 nights a week as well. Wed & Sat.
    GG shares group members with DK so you might find one or the other on.

Yes AD has many guilds on but they don't play on the same nights and not in primetime.

The whole point of my post was that EP didn't have their raids on so they got rolled over last Thursday. It wasn't because of faction lock killing primetime it was because 3 of their 4 raid groups were missing.
    Crispen Longbow - Daggerfall Covenant (DC): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Blue VE, Khole, LoM, MO)
    Crispen Longboww - Aldmeri Dominion (AD): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - Crispen's House of Pain RIP (KP, Yellow VE, Omni)
    Crispen Longbow-EP - Ebonheart Pact (EP): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Red VE)
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 NA Kaalgrontiid has a queue at prime time for all three factions. In fact, consistent queues has been the only down side of faction-lock.

Trolls are gone from zone chat.

No more scroll snatchers. Good riddance.

Haven't seen a single solicitation to sell Emp since Vivec was retired.

Map-flippers are out of business.

AD, which has been pretty much absent from Vivec for months, consistently has three bars in Kaal.

After actively campaigning for two years for restoration of a faction-lock option, my observation is that Cyrodiil population is healthier than it has been in years. The players who quit because they can't switch teams at will improved PvP the moment they left. I'm glad they're gone.

• BaByDontHurtMe
    BaByDontHurtMe
    ✭✭✭
    I like CP PvP, I like faction locking and also Coke over Dr. Pepper.

On the outlier fights a side effect late at night EST (2amish) Vivec NA, there has been more occurrences of 8vs16 at Dragonclaw and Bruma and really enjoy those.

I think the game has been out for so long that most people run in cliques imo. Sure there are always more people to meet and make it interesting but if they wanna roll with yours truly I don’t mind helping them level up a DC.

Also if more people reroll to run with “friends” then may be they might be more susceptible to buy those new shiny Skill Line Crown items or an extra character slot. May be now you’ll see why things are and won’t change.

Whether you like CP, No CP, or BG we’re all here to PvP in 1vX, small scale or big Zerg v Zerg, but imo what makes us better than PVERs, we are always the first to adapt and improve.

You can still respect someone you dislike imo, like the Patriots.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 NA I've had a que every night I play after work, all 3 bars full on Kaalgrontiid.

The game performance is still pretty bad, maybe people have worse performance on the other two platforms?
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Army of the pact hasnt been a thing since Crow quit. They will occasionally have 24 lead by Adamus but it's a pug group not a guild group afaik.

Adamus runs their groups now. They still have 2 raids that run. The first group has 24 the second group is as many as they can fill. This can be anywhere from 10 - 20. The second raid just follows the main group. This is why Ahtu is asking for a group size to be increased to 36. That way adamus can just run all 36 in the same group.
    Also your definition on "full raids" is interesting. Drac currently runs approx 12m not 16.

Good to know, that you guys have decreased your numbers and now only run approx 12m. In future, I will reference 12 for Drac. Omni is built for 18 and we run approx 18. I expect the same courtesy from Drac.
    If you compare this with Omni 20+

The whole point of my post was that EP didn't have their raids on so they got rolled over last Thursday. It wasn't because of faction lock killing primetime it was because 3 of their 4 raid groups were missing. [/quote]

Actually AP is functionally defunct most of the time recently. They almost never put out calls for "AP2". They are not now making calls in zone. Ahtu is gone.

There are no large scale EP groups running most nights now. EP is in disarray.

In reality for the last 50 days, EP is outnumbered by AD in 90% of fights. 22 hours a day EP has a smaller presence than AD. Even when the population markers say pop locked, there is almost never a que.

The EP faction has noticeably degraded in the last 2 campaigns and AD has expanded noticeably.

Also with their huge numbers AD has done very well. They are often attacking 3 different targets at once in force. EP is not defending all three targets and Drake, for example, is almost always lost as PvDoor.

AD has many good/strong groups running including Omni, Adrestia, Ten inches, Known shitters, Harmony,...and more I can't name right now

AD is clearly the dominant faction now with minimal opposition...grats

Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    AD has many good/strong groups running including Omni, Adrestia, Ten inches, Known shitters, Harmony,...and more I can't name right now

10 Inches is dead. Granted, that's still leaves a LOT of AD guilds. Usually stacked on top of each other. Someone sent me a screenshot of their primetime weekend queue on AD the other day. It was 173.

As for AotP being dead, maybe they aren't all in a guild group but you never see AotP tabards without at least 40 EP there. Nonetheless, they seem to be improving under Adamus.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

10 Inches is dead. Granted, that's still leaves a LOT of AD guilds. Usually stacked on top of each other. Someone sent me a screenshot of their primetime weekend queue on AD the other day. It was 173.

As for AotP being dead, maybe they aren't all in a guild group but you never see AotP tabards without at least 40 EP there. Nonetheless, they seem to be improving under Adamus.

Just logged into Cyrodil, AD has 4 scrolls (one from DC one from EP) from nightcapping. AD is pop locked, EP/DC 3 bars. I've only had a que once or twice this campaign, it was a que of 21 on the weekend.

I've PvPed virtually every day for last 18 months, only as EP, have never seen it this bad. Maybe its getting time to ease off and do something else.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • WeylandLabs
    WeylandLabs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Performance is killing the games population aka LAG !
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    No Performance is killing the games population aka LAG !

People have been complaining for years about performance and they still play. I agree with the OP, faction locking is really killing PVP in this game. Not sure why it was brought back to begin with.
    @ElizabethInTamriel
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Scritchel
    Scritchel
    ✭✭✭
    Can we all stop kidding ourselves with saying there are multiple AD guilds? Same people, different guild tags, same faction stacking tactic.

Edited by Scritchel on August 8, 2019 8:40AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Id say performance and bugs are doing a fine job on themselves already

For me, and a few others I know, this is what did it. The faction lock had nothing to do with it at all. I think the fact that the game has changed so dramatically doesn't help either, but that wasn't a huge factor for me personally.
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    Faction lock is killing off hours.

Vivec is literally 2 bar at midnight now.

That’s crazy.

This. I play NA from EU, noCP. And the last months theres nothing to do. It has never been so dead. I dont want to blame any factions, but rn, its either my faction gatecamps 2-3 players from the other facton, or I am being gatecamped by other factions with 2-3 players of my colour. Completely irrelevant and uninteresting PvP. I heard rumours about good pvp during prime time, but that would likely be 4 in the night for me, so hard to do. 5-6 months ago, off hours would have enough acion to make it interesting. Now its honestly nothing for so many hours. And when theres nothing, noone will play.
    Is there a solution? I think the best thing would be to just completely stop giving ap for capping keeps and scrolls. Only give ap per kill. That would probably leave at least the gate camping for a bit, if you cant pvd your way to victory, and could help bring the few players remaining in off hours out into the lakes. Pugs of the dominated faction will just leave if they enter cyro and realize theres a mini zerg at their gates and theyre just being farmed so the dominant faction can have their points ticking.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    Id say performance and bugs are doing a fine job on themselves already

For me, and a few others I know, this is what did it. The faction lock had nothing to do with it at all. I think the fact that the game has changed so dramatically doesn't help either, but that wasn't a huge factor for me personally.

Insane tank meta did it for me, *** stupid.
  • Hashtag_
    Hashtag_
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Army of the pact hasnt been a thing since Crow quit. They will occasionally have 24 lead by Adamus but it's a pug group not a guild group afaik. Also your definition on "full raids" is interesting. Drac currently runs approx 12m not 16. Tyr caps at 18. VV goes with 24 that's it aside from pugs. If you compare this with Omni 20+ DK 20+ DIG 20+ YF 12(iirc) DD 12 + Pugs. It's quite a stark contrast in more 'organised' faction numbers most nights.
    I guess you are maybe referring to a measurement of raid strength worth though maybe.

Vae Victus of the Pact now.

Would y’all be interested in a 6v6 or 8v8 by chance?
    Edited by Hashtag_ on August 8, 2019 12:48PM
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hashtag_ wrote: »

Vae Victus of the Pact now.

Would y’all be interested in a 6v6 or 8v8 by chance?

Sure Drac can 8v8 how about tonight or this saturday? after the patch we'll be raid focused for some time.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on August 8, 2019 9:08PM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only played a couple times since they did the locks. And it's been much worse pvp every time. I just log in to claim daily rewards at this point. I am not even doing writs.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alliance locks been good for what i knew it would be. 99% fewer trolling with things, zone chat is not so toxic anymore.

More people working together and things feel to have a meaning, people not just login and out changing sides and taking emp ring back and forth.

Performance been bad now for too long time, all i know who not play so much anymore or quit said that was the reason, not alliance lock.

Been able to personally play with friends as well as before locks since we all have characters at all alliances and if need we can cycle where we play each month. Works for us.

Also, at PC EU Kaalgrontiid what is most often the biggest campaign what comes to population, scores been competitive, not 1 alliance dominating but with the days left, victory can go to anyone. Yeah yeah, off hours "nightcap/morningcap" always affects the score, but truth be told.. its not been as efficient as before the locks. At night times been able to make a difference and stop minizergs with few players, been fun.

I know though, that after so long time with the locks, some things been feeling dumb for people who like the fast switching for sides, but.. for many the score and playing for the map together is the whole point of the Cyrodiil campaign game mode. It`s point is to simulate a war and at the end 1 alliance wins it and "owns" Cyrodiil. I think if we ever go back to the no locks, then we should remove campaign start and end, score and rewards.. if it is all about just FFA and switching sides. Agreed?

Personally i wish there was a new PVP mode in future that could be like conquering some island, everyone vs everyone and maybe GvG modes. Could be fun. :)

But, to get the PVP population back to rising, we need the promised performance fixes, badly.

• MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvP has been dying since the faction lock, that's a fact. Anyone denying it is simply not playing the game or a liar.

PvE will see a decline next patch with healing getting harder, AOE's doing less dmg, and some abilities having a cost increase making sustain a bit more difficult. End game content will be a bit tougher.

Won't be long before ESO goes on life support.

Same thing every years

Usually means more people play because the kids are at home all day.
    Edited by MaxJrFTW on August 9, 2019 8:48AM
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • ATomiX69
    ATomiX69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both faction lock and trashy performance are contributing to the decline in population.
    Cant just blame the one of them.
    Edited by ATomiX69 on August 9, 2019 10:04AM
    smurf account
    New PvP content when?
    Better cyro performance when?
    Farmed about 3 GO's worth of AP
    world 3rd immortal redeemer (22.02.18) and other not noteworthy trifectas
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    PvP has been dying since the faction lock, that's a fact. Anyone denying it is simply not playing the game or a liar.

PvE will see a decline next patch with healing getting harder, AOE's doing less dmg, and some abilities having a cost increase making sustain a bit more difficult. End game content will be a bit tougher.

Won't be long before ESO goes on life support.

Same thing every years

Usually means more people play because the kids are at home all day.

Maybe you havent been around since alpha/beta but I have.

PvP has been dying since the beginning, before One Tamriel. To attribute Faction Lock to 5 years of mismanagement isnt honest.

• coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    I quit playing just because is unplayable. Everyday is more laggy, more buggy, more crashy. And well, GTA V premium is at 12€ lol I prefer riding a tractor than a laggy Horse XD
  • RedGirl41
    RedGirl41
    ✭✭✭✭
    There’s no real reason for faction lock. All the alliances that were hyped for it, thinking it hindered their winning, are still losing. All the “spies”? Guild and zone chat have been a thing for years. The map has never changed so everything you do is predictable. No reason to faction lock at all.

Get punished for having other alliance friends. Yikes
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's performance that's pushing people away