The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Restoration Staff Changes Discussion Thread

Ishtharo
Ishtharo
✭✭✭
Ok, let's do this.

These are the changes I would like to discuss:
nyg85cqxg3n3.png

Now, My experience with these abilities comes from running a Templar and Warden as a PvP healer in small man (3-6 players), medium organized raids (7-14 players) as well as large groups, both zergs and organized raids (15+ players). I have been playing ESO Cyro since launch, and BGs/IC since their respective DLCs came out. I have put a lot of time into PvP healing in this game, it is by far the most enjoyable activity for me.

With that said, I am alarmed by the changes to Grand Healing and Regeneration from both a group play standpoint, and a fun factor standpoint.

Starting with Grand Healing:
On live this ability functions as a ground targeted AoE heal, with the initial heal counting as a direct AoE heal (since there is no delay in the initial tick).
It is -the- healing spammable go to for a reason:
1) You can stack it
2) it's cheap
3) a single instance isn't powerful, so it took time to build up
4) Class abilities don't offer the utility for the price that Grand Healing does
5) it's group-centric

The proposed changes to Grand Healing are going to completely gut it in both the PvE and PvP scene.

On to Regeneration:
On live, you can hit two targets at once. While the healing and utility factor can change, the hitting of tow targets is what makes this ability good (not great, but good). The now requirement for a healer to cast this ability twice as much and more often relegates them simply to regeneration spamming constantly, rather than actually healing their teammates. Where is the engaging gameplay there?

I'm curious as to the reason for these changes. ZOS likes to say "play the way you like", but it's going to be rather difficult coming here soon on the healing side.
Sure, make changes to the abilities, but keeping the base function the same. Allow Grand Healing to stack on a short duration, and allow Regeneration to hit two targets at once.

These changes are anti group, anti-PvE, and anti-fun.

I enjoy most of the rest of the notes, and there are some good changes coming, but these were not thought through. I don't do PvE very often anymore, so if PvE healers could weigh in I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all.
Tsarra Venus Sylphyra - Stamplar PvP Bosmer Harrier
VenusFállen - Magden PvP Nord Healer
VenusFallen - Stamcro PvP Nord Brawler
VenusFallèn - MagBlade PvP Dark Elf Ganker
VeñusFallen - StamSorc PvP Bosmer Harrier
  • Rustyfish101
    Rustyfish101
    ✭✭✭
    PvE healer here. I made a post about my thoughts and why it is a bad move here https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/483625/lets-talk-about-the-healing-changes/p1
    Tanks:
    Fishando - Dragonknight Tank - Master Crafter
    Healers:
    Rustyfish - Templar Healer
    Rozykinz - Warden Healer - Godslayer
    Bellafish - Dragonknight Healer
    Heals-With-Fish - Nightblade Healer
    Fishromancer - Necromancer Healer
    DPS:
    Rusted Rose - Magicka Sorcerer
    Unifish - Magicka Dragonknight
    Fishy Cakes - Magicka Templar
    Rosy Bell - Magicka Nightblade
    Rosyfish - Stamina Templar
    Rosy Fish - Stamina Warden
    Llamafish - Stamina Nightblade

PC/NA
    Founder of Mudcrab Knights, a friendly, welcoming, guild that teaches end game content, specifically trials to everyone who wants to learn!
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the old versions they felt more unique & fun.
  • Ishtharo
    Ishtharo
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS is on a quest to homogenize everything in the game, to be fair. It's easier to balance.
    But the changes to the resto staff line and orbs is was thought up and approved by people who don't play their own game, very clearly.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Springs change looks great, increases the skill cap of healing, if you want to layer several HoTs into your group you can’t just stare at the floor and press one button.

The regeneration change looks weird, it was mostly used to proc trans and maelstrom resto and the new version doesn’t help that role. Maybe the ability will find a new role.
  • TheRealSniker
    TheRealSniker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, those changes are good
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, those changes are good

Please post a video Monday of you clearing the harder vet dlc trials on pts with these changes.
    Preferably with an average group...
    Edited by mobicera on July 7, 2019 4:23PM
  • ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a lot of discussion about why this change is bad, and the people saying it give good examples as to why it's bad, but for the people defending the changes, all they say is that the changes are good. Why are they good? Cause you can't spam springs during high damage phases? What will be the alternative to this? Give me an alternative to out heal the damage during the poison phase in vSo, or during the meteor phase on the first boss of vMoL. I don't know what healers these people run with, but I know I'm doing a lot more than spamming springs, as for orbs I'm throwing about three out after a combat prayer. I only spam springs when the mechanics mentioned earlier are happening because I have no other skill that's going to heal up everyone around me consistently. What can I do now? Pop a spring, lay down extended ritual and circle of protection and hope for the best? I can't wait to see how these changes look on pts when people attempt ver hardmodes trials.
  • orbitalcracker
    orbitalcracker
    Soul Shriven
    Seeing that you heal on a templar, you would probably use another restoring light ability. They are the class skills for templar that heal people.
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healers are already irrelevant in 3/4 of content anyway, nerfing heals won’t help that.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Synnastix wrote: »
    Healers are already irrelevant in 3/4 of content anyway, nerfing heals won’t help that.

Especially since the issue is that healing just isn't needed because you can self heal and dps through everything outside of trials. (':
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like Restro new changes, do not you healers get bored spamming one skill?
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lord_Eomer wrote: »
    I like Restro new changes, do not you healers get bored spamming one skill?

Only bad healers spammed the same skill, the good healers use multiple and could use the running hots to cast different abilities.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Lady_Rosabella
    Lady_Rosabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE healer here, as my main...been doing it since 2014 and am the go-to-healer for my Trials group. Sorry to say if these changes go in effect, my healer will be turned into a mule. I enjoy healing and believe a healer should be able to keep group buffs up, heal the group, as well as do damage, with these changes how are healers suppose to do these things?

• Viveun
    Viveun
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me glad I switched to a necro healer. Spammable aoe burst heal, don't even slot springs. Unfortunately losing the only really means of party rss management though.
  • labambao
    labambao
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a pvp healblade i never used grand healing. but regeneration change so good for me, now i have decent self-heal that i lost with healing cloak rework. BTW healing offering doesn't affect by battle spirit, but zos blind so i can say it anywhere.
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regeneration being a good single target hot is a good thing.

Eso doesn't need more heal it you have enough tools already for that.
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if the goal is to force healers to skill up, imo it’s just going to force others to focus more on dps to avoid needing a healer in the first place. Having a low bar for entry for healing made it one of the easiest ways to get started in dungeons and group play, yet there were far fewer people doing it than trying to dps. It’s a good role to use to start learning things, so it doesn’t make sense to me to nerf it when the issue is having high dps makes healers less necessary anyway.

The meta is if you bring enough dps, you don’t need a healer anyway. Combine that with making healers less effective / harder and you’re going to attract even fewer to the role. Remove it as a requirement from the group finder so you can just roll 3 dps and tank already.

Of all the things to nerf, that makes no sense to me.
  • Lady_Rosabella
    Lady_Rosabella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synnastix wrote: »
    Even if the goal is to force healers to skill up, imo it’s just going to force others to focus more on dps to avoid needing a healer in the first place. Having a low bar for entry for healing made it one of the easiest ways to get started in dungeons and group play, yet there were far fewer people doing it than trying to dps. It’s a good role to use to start learning things, so it doesn’t make sense to me to nerf it when the issue is having high dps makes healers less necessary anyway.

The meta is if you bring enough dps, you don’t need a healer anyway. Combine that with making healers less effective / harder and you’re going to attract even fewer to the role. Remove it as a requirement from the group finder so you can just roll 3 dps and tank already.

Of all the things to nerf, that makes no sense to me.

Try doing Trials, especially hard mode without a healer. Coming from a healer who has been healing trial groups for 5 years, never gonna happen without a healer.
  • Ishtharo
    Ishtharo
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad that some classes have a replacement for Springs, such as Necro and NB, but the other classes require it in order to be effective. Templar, Marden, DK, and Sorc do not have a cost-effective spammable or filler skill.

I know the consensus is split on Regeneration. I prefer the double target just for time sake, and a higher chance for you to hit it on yourself.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changes are good !
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • labambao
    labambao
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ishtharo wrote: »
    I am glad that some classes have a replacement for Springs, such as Necro and NB, but the other classes require it in order to be effective. Templar, Marden, DK, and Sorc do not have a cost-effective spammable or filler skill.

I know the consensus is split on Regeneration. I prefer the double target just for time sake, and a higher chance for you to hit it on yourself.

idk buddy, if i want hit myself with my heal as rapid regen or healing vines on warden etc i just turn down my camera straight to the floor. Works for me.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's not much too complain about the changes made to Regeneration. The HoT always felt quite weak, now it's twice as strong. And a duration of 10s is still enough imho. The cost increase plus additionally just hitting one target might be a problem. One of that would have been enough, either increase cost and make it still hit two targets or keep the lower cost while hitting only one target.

The Mutagen change is great for emergency heals in PvP while Rapid Regeneration is basically the identical twin of Vigor after the changes.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • gallach
    gallach
    Soul Shriven
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    There's not much too complain about the changes made to Regeneration. The HoT always felt quite weak, now it's twice as strong. And a duration of 10s is still enough imho. The cost increase plus additionally just hitting one target might be a problem. One of that would have been enough, either increase cost and make it still hit two targets or keep the lower cost while hitting only one target.

The Mutagen change is great for emergency heals in PvP while Rapid Regeneration is basically the identical twin of Vigor after the changes.

I like your idea. One Regeneration morph could hit 2 targets and cost more magicka. It would be nice for PVE players like me.
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pvp healer here. Already slapped 3 Swift on my bank mule Templar. I’ll miss you springs.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest anyone who is wanting to provide worthwhile feedback to post it in the official thread Zos created on the subject. They are expected to go through that thread and probably will not be able to see every post in every thread we create.,

For PvE healing
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484078/

For PvP healing
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/484082/
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp healer here. Already slapped 3 Swift on my bank mule Templar. I’ll miss you springs.

Love it when players just assume the writing is on the wall ...

If ZOS decides to roll back or revert the Springs changes before Live ... you’ll be out 150 transmute stones. Solely due to a knee-jerk reaction to the patch notes.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on July 8, 2019 7:29PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Springs change looks great, increases the skill cap of healing, if you want to layer several HoTs into your group you can’t just stare at the floor and press one button.

It's the opposite really. Instead of managing the overlap of several short term circles, you just drop one longer term one. If anything, it raises the burden on those being healed. They need to learn to stack better, manage their own resources better, and slot heals/defenses for the verious boss fights that force them to spread out.

Because I can tell you as a templar, I'm just going drop a half dozen AoE heals and support skills in front of me, and then just spam breath and mutagen/rapid regen when needed like a potato. Maybe a warden can come along as a number 2 for some different AoE heals, but the rest of the classes can probably go ahead and delete healer from skill advisor.
    Edited by driosketch on July 8, 2019 8:50PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • gameswithaspoon
    gameswithaspoon
    ✭✭✭
    This is NOT a move for server stability or an introduction of new healing abilities. It’s the gutting of the one weapon out of 6 specifically designed for healing. And it’s halving and more than halving healing output in group content.

There are DPS players in this thread brushing off the changes because they have no idea how much buffing and layering goes on in group healing. Healers already layer other forms of healing and buffs with Restoration abilities and there are no AOE replacements.

This is the myth of Shor two years ago. People were like we will make the perfect land of small scale PVP with no raid healers. And a destroball guild rolled in and it was the meta while the small scale guilds cowered in terror and left. Because no small scale guild is going to counter 20 destro ultimates and 4 negates. Without medium sized guilds who can band together with those awful healing abilities, the win scenario will be bigger zergs.
    Spoon-no-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Templar AD BWB
    Spoon-ware-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Stamplar AD Bahlokdaan
    Guild Leader Imperium of the Eagle Ravenwatch NA-PC
    Takes Drive-Thru Orders for This is a Wendy's.
  • KingExecration
    KingExecration
    ✭✭✭✭

Love it when players just assume the writing is on the wall ...

If ZOS decides to roll back or revert the Springs changes before Live ... you’ll be out 150 transmute stones. Solely due to a knee-jerk reaction to the patch notes.

If only you understood what a joke is. And I assume the “writing on the wall” is because Zo$ has been known for changes like this that stick and make no sense. I take it you’re new to these parts having faith and being the “let it play out” kind of crowd.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishtharo wrote: »

Nb don't have replacement for spring...
    Refreshing path is ridiculously tiny and sap essence cost alot for a very weak heal + have to be in the middle of the fight, not the best idea.
    Their is a reason why every decent healer run spring : it was not an option for serious content.

Warden is the only class with a spammable almost as good as grand healing with budding seed.
    All other class don't have this (necro have a good one but need corpse, so, not spamable).
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]