The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

MidYear Cancelled this year due to group finder/performance. What are your thoughts?

• Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If they ran the event the forums would be full of rage over the bad servers/group finder. Cancel the event and you get rage about how they hate the PvP community. They can't win on this (until they figure out the stability issues).

They could very simply win. It would however require them to spend effort on the pvp side of the game instead of. Another dungeon and story dlc with corresponding beauty and housing packs.

It's not white knighting to point out they would get *** for either choice in the current t state of things (didn't stop them in Jan though right). But there is only so long people can defend ineptitude before it starts to become facile.

Where is the zos post in the pvp forum explaining the decision in more detail. Where is the action plan. The "you matter to us as customers". The only time we ever hear anything about pvp it's followed by a huge sigh on live stream and "yeh we know it's still a problem... no eta". If there was at least some energy or direction and engagement people wouldn't be so pissed off.
    Edited by Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO on June 28, 2019 11:39AM
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they ran the event the forums would be full of rage over the bad servers/group finder. Cancel the event and you get rage about how they hate the PvP community. They can't win on this (until they figure out the stability issues).

I agree that NOW they've put themselves and us in a lose-lose situation.

But they've known about groupfinder breaking under high demand for 2 years.

They've known that the BGs queue bug was getting worse for at least 6 months.

They've set their Activity Finder revamp so that it might be in place by Q4 for the Undaunted event...but didn't think about Midyear Mayhem.

I'm very disappointed that ZOS got themselves and us into this lose-lose situation because they didn't (can't?/won't?) fix known, longstanding, gamebreaking performance issues.

If ZOS is damned either way, its because of their failure to fix known issues before they became gamebreaking enough to warrant canceling an event.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For all you people who are like “yeah I agree performance is horrible”
    Do you really think they’re going to fix performance after Five years????
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are very bad at this
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be less annoyed about it if they gave proper reasons why in a blog post, instead of a footnote in the discussion comments. Also in the blog post, the roadmap for Cyro for the upcoming 12 months. You have interest in this part of the game, and continuously we wait.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that NOW they've put themselves and us in a lose-lose situation.

But they've known about groupfinder breaking under high demand for 2 years.

They've known that the BGs queue bug was getting worse for at least 6 months.

They've set their Activity Finder revamp so that it might be in place by Q4 for the Undaunted event...but didn't think about Midyear Mayhem.

I'm very disappointed that ZOS got themselves and us into this lose-lose situation because they didn't (can't?/won't?) fix known, longstanding, gamebreaking performance issues.

If ZOS is damned either way, its because of their failure to fix known issues before they became gamebreaking enough to warrant canceling an event.

Agree, its not like they were just pointed to these issues yesterday or even a few months ago. This has been happening for years now. But instead of putting effort into solving these issues they decided to do new content every quarter which they have all said has taken up all their time and resources this year.

I get it, new content brings new player which brings more money which is what Free to play models strive for. All we can do is cross our fingers that they will fix the issue before the game just died because it can't handle the load from the new content. But knowing they all pointing the finger at GF as the issue is just frustrating in itself.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spot on @Turelus

It's like comms, people fist wave they don't communicate but when they do its not good enough, or not enough. Whatever they do they can't win.

I guess the good news is there's enough people still passionate about the game to get wound up!

As for those saying pops dwindling, i see the opposite.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think we already have multipe threads rolling on the subject and dont need any more.
    That being said:
    Im pretty dissapointed, i was looking forward to midyear mayhem.
  • Dutchessx
    Dutchessx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my thoughts... all of us who pvp nightly know the servers are bad off so please give us an eta on the fix for it. I personally am having a hard enough time trying to log in every night since I got locked into EP on no cp and DC on cp. I am already completely bored out of my skull. The news yesterday all it did was make me even more upset and further bored. I am bored to the point that for the first time in over 5 years straight I might actually take a break. I also buy crowns regularly to soothe my love of costumes and items for my houses. This month for me has been nothing but disappointment that I am stuck solo due to faction locks and I can’t play with the people I enjoy so much. Also, the ONE pvp event we get is cancelled. Yes, all of us who pvp every night understands the servers have issues because most often than not I will lagout when I get near a large fight. It would be GREAT if we could just get an eta on the fix and throw us a bone for being loyal players for all these years. Give us something special as pvp’ers that lets us know that we haven’t been back burnered in favor of “new content.”

#FreeNoCP
    Former Guild Leader Darkest Requiem
    Dutchessx - Sorcerer - EP NA
    Dütchess - Templar - DC NA
    Dutchess of Lost Souls - DC NA
    The Dark Dutchess- Sorcerer - DC NA
    Ðutchess - Templar - DC NA
    Always beware the sound of hooves in the night
    Remember Haderus
    Remember Azura's Star
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its disheartening to me because I dont care about the overall events of event tickets and whatever they really just attached to events we already have. I just want it for the extra buzz and action in Cyrodiil and double AP is nice too. But they basically skip the event because if the progress toward event tickets in things like BGs which require groupfinder. because let's face it; they could give 2 *** about Cyrodiil or the "small number of players" who enjoy it. Performance being *** there has never stopped them before.

I just wonder, will they cancel any PVE events that require groupfinder? Probably not, and I'd be shocked if they ever really fix the performance they are blaming.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Its disheartening to me because I dont care about the overall events of event tickets and whatever they really just attached to events we already have. I just want it for the extra buzz and action in Cyrodiil and double AP is nice too. But they basically skip the event because if the progress toward event tickets in things like BGs which require groupfinder. because let's face it; they could give 2 *** about Cyrodiil or the "small number of players" who enjoy it. Performance being *** there has never stopped them before.

I just wonder, will they cancel any PVE events that require groupfinder? Probably not, and I'd be shocked if they ever really fix the performance they are blaming.

We'll find out if their Q4 performance fixes don't work before the Undaunted event (which techincally didnt require GF but realistically did.)
  • echo2omega
    echo2omega
    ✭✭✭
    I could see if the server performance was a new issue.

It's not.

I could see if there were NEW issues with the group finder.

There are not.

The bugs with the group finder have been there since the beginning. YEARS now.

The players have been commenting on server performance for YEARS and nothing was done.
    The players have been submitting bug reports about the group finder for YEARS. And nothing was done.

Instead of fixing the problem anytime over the last several YEARS ... [ZOS] chose to cancel the event instead.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for the Thieves Guild and DB events at all. That's just me. Much rather have Midyear Mayhem. But yeah, ZOS, please fix this mess called a Group Finder and all the other bugs in the game since Elsweyr PTS. All the Necro bugs are still in the game.
  • MrSinister213
    MrSinister213
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts?

Pathfinder main with a 4.5 kdr lfg to grind season 2
    @TTV.BuyMoreCrowns
    Camelot Unchained Soon (ar 49 AD) high elf nb
    High Elf Slayer (ar 38 EP) dunmer dk
    Zangief (ar 37 DC) high elf sorc
    Papi Chulo (Ar 42 AD) stam sorc

wouldnt call myself a pve'er or pvper. my preferred endgame is crown crates.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really sucks. Never done this event before and was looking forward to it.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @LukosCreyden and you may never get a chance to do it.

Did GF ever work properly? Why the concern for it all of a sudden?
    Do they read the forums or tickets that told them GF had issues for years? How about the lag?

Just seems that they dont listen to much feedback. What happened to communicating with the community better?

The rate they are going it seems pvp will fade off into the sunset and ZoS will be more than happy to see it gone. No more consistently bad press from cyro dwellers.
    Edited by MajBludd on June 28, 2019 6:40PM
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people are just tired of hearing they are working on it little by little and then seeing very little if any results. People are right, if they had gone on with the event, people would be complaining about that too. I just want to see real results at this point. If they cannot commit to fixing huge problems in a game that we all love, what are we doing? I don't even suggest friends come play ESO with me anymore, and I won't until they get it together. I feel like we are kind of at a crossroads. One road leads to the game working properly and being successful for years to come. The other road is the game continues to deteriorate and is not around in not that many more years. For as grumpy as I get, its because I want the game to do well and I want to be playing it in the future. Watching problems just keep getting worse is frustrating, because it comes across like they have no interest in fixing a dang thing. We wouldn't be having this conversation if over the years we had seen things like performance issues that have been around FOREVER actually be corrected in a real way before now. And like I said, things just keep getting worse over time, so its not like we woke up one day and the game suddenly was behaving like garbage out of nowhere.

And, if I remember right, that work they are doing, I believe it said it was going to be most noticeable on consoles and lower end PC's. Which is great. But that doesn't lead me to think to they are dealing with the root problem and all will be well soon.
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • Mudcrabber
    Mudcrabber
    ✭✭✭✭
    I take it as a sign that they're finally taking the group finder seriously. They spent all these years trying to bandaid something that was incorrect at its core. Maybe now there's a rewrite in the works.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone should be happy they cancelled. Not sure if it is just me but PvP performance has been poor lately. I think I know why they made a comment the devs were "killing it". If performance stays the same I don't see how I can continue "wanting" to play.

Edited by vamp_emily on June 28, 2019 7:06PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts?

Pathfinder main with a 4.5 kdr lfg to grind season 2

LEVEL TREE!
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sucks that they're cancelling the event but I can understand why since performance issues there are only increasing. It would be nice though if they would bring golden vendor jewelery sales that midyear mayhem have where You can buy golden jewelery from all PvP sets. Many people including me were waiting for midyear just because of that. I even made a preparations and I sold lately all jewelery I had stored because I was sure there will be midyear soon.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    I think everyone should be happy they cancelled. Not sure if it is just me but PvP performance has been poor lately. I think I know why they made a comment the devs were "killing it". If performance stays the same I don't see how I can continue "wanting" to play.

It's always bad. Thing is, a lot of us complain but deal with it because we find ways to have fun in spite of it. To then remove any part of the driving factor that encourages more players to deal with it and make due in the event, just shrinks motivation to keep dealing with it.

So yes. Killing it.

C U all later in beta
    Edited by technohic on June 28, 2019 8:30PM
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given that I don't have anyone to play PvP with anymore because my guild all went AD and EP and my leveling toon is DC, I'm actually VERY happy about this substitution. I wouldn't have enjoyed just tooling around in Cyrodiil by myself, and since my friends are all locked I would have to play on a character I wouldn't enjoy. So thieving suits me just fine.
  • SweepsAllClowns
    SweepsAllClowns
    ✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts, when Wrathstone arrived and my account got stuck it was during the same event, this will be my 4th missed event in a row. I would have been very butthurt if I'd missed the Mayhem double ap, then again I don't have much hopes of playing again so it's not so bad when I've accepted my ESO days are over already. There have been more or less the regular expected problems with almost every event I can remember, Zenimax must have known about the coming problems yet they've always still started the events. So now Mayhem is replaced with event that is having probably less problems, less problems means less work with the event issues, support tickets and closing threads on forum.

The current trend by Zenimax is very alarming for players at this point, most relevant whinings and cryings are usually just swept under the carpet by closing threads instead of actually fixing many problems while more problems appear all the time. I feel like this is the turning point for ESO and Zenimax has made the strategic move to slowly shutdown this game and place more resources on their new project. I think all next year's dlc will be developed as planned, but they most likely wait and see how much money ESO is making this year and decide what to do in the future based on that. ESO will probably still be live for years with decreasing support and added content. Zenimax has prioritized creating new content before fixing bugs for quite long now, putting resources on their new game and leaving ESO much like it is now would be a logical continuation with their current clear strategy. Money and profits for the Zeniwin!
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I happy about it? No. Was it for the best? More than likely.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think im going to unsub again. Other than PVP I just can't find the motivation to even play anymore.

I did already.

That’s fair. ZOS deserves it. I’m not saying it’s the devs, but someone or some groups is fully responsible. They’ve had a lot of time to fix things and haven’t. It’s worse now than it ever has been and clearly this means they’ve done nothing substantial. They’ve really misrepresented their game. PvP is nothing short of barely functional to completely unfunctional even without full servers. I’ve no sympathy for ZOS.
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    At this point, it feels like the whole game has been abandoned by the devs due to performance issues. Nothing seems to be working properly, there's lag, latency, FPS issues and game breaking bugs all over.

Since launch I've seen the game performance in a fairly good place and also too often in a bad place. Since Elsweyr it feels particularly bad and it also feels different, that there's now a degree of neglect creeping in. Might seem strange to say with there having just been a new expansion, but Eslweyr feels half-baked and the performance problems that have come with it don't seem to be being addressed. PVE is fairly bad, but Cyrodiil is bearing the worst of it.

It doesn't help that the developers just seem to want to sweep it under the carpet, on the forums and in complaints. They need to either face up to the performance issues and throw the necessary resources at fixing them, or shut the game down. Anything else is wasting our time and money.
  • SweepsAllClowns
    SweepsAllClowns
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember the Midyear Mayhem 2017 edition (Xbox EU) when the lag and crashes were horrible, for example when Alessia was under siege, it was always almost certain crash if I went past the outer door, so I learned how far from the keep I can be and still get the ap, other option was to actually play the game and participate in the keep fight, of course then I'd probably have missed the ap and spent some quality time watching loading screens again while restarting the game. It's basically a decision between getting 15-20k ap and restarting the game and enjoying more loading screens, would you buy additional 1 minute loading screen quality time with 10k ap? Many players avoid going inside the keeps and just hide nearby during Mayhems so they don't crash and miss the ap, and most of them aren't the typical ap leechers who place their characters hiding near the outer wall and collect the easy donated ap.

I think it was the same year when Zenimax told the Cyrodiil performance was their priority and some important thing, I thought surely the game will work much better next year when they've had time to fix things. So arrived the Mayhem 2018 and the lag was about as horrible as previous year, I only suffered because of the double ap, now summer 2019 and I simply cannot even log in with my EU account at all anymore and it's not even any serious issue.
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i came back to get ready for this to grind a few characters..

Glad i pre ordered shadowbringers, i wish you guys luck

• Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I foresee another consequential side effect from this: all the anti-PvPers will praise the devs for this and view this as "payback" for the "griefing" PvEers experienced during that week of the anniversary. This will in turn fracture the community even more.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."