The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

So, EU Mega Server is not in Frankfurt but in the USA

Mathius_Mordred
Mathius_Mordred
✭✭✭✭✭
Is this news to people or am I late to the party. Based on some research I did for another post it turns out that my game is connected to the US servers.

This was picked up by another Reddit user last year although at the time his address was different:

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/8n3084/eso_eu_server_is_in_america/

It turns out the EU Megaserver is nowhere near the EU, it is in Hunt Valley, Maryland, USA. Apparently, it was moved back to the USA when the game looked like it was going to go *** up. The original migration from the USA to the EU is featured here:

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/1095

but ZOS never mentioned, from what I can see, that they were, in fact, moving it back to the US, still, as you can see, that's where it is, do your own research to check (you can get to the IP address vai the task manager).

Am I reading this all wrong, if so what is my game connected to in the USA?

If I am right then why do they call it the EU Megaserver, it would also explain some of the issues some folks are having. By the way, it seems the Bethesda launcher does connect to a EU IP address.

Here are the details:

x4fkfQa.png

Larger version: https://imgur.com/x4fkfQa
Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point, i wouldnt be suprised at all lmoa
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• TriangularChicken
    TriangularChicken
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know.. non prime time I have like 70-100 ping.. I believe if the server was located in the US my ping would be higher?
    ..but you never know..
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ping to the NA server is between 100 and 200ms higher, so I doubt this very much.

The login server is in the US though.

The Bethesda.net launcher probably connects to a download server, much like Steam does.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know.. non prime time I have like 70-100 ping.. I believe if the server was located in the US my ping would be higher?
    ..but you never know..

The round trip from the UK is
    3,547 x2 mi Distance from My Location (Beeston, UK) to Hunt Valley.

At the speed of light, 186282 miles/sec that gives a travel time of 0.038 sec, or 38 ms. Your ping is well within that.
    Edited by Mathius_Mordred on June 23, 2019 8:26AM
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..but you never know..

3,547 mi Distance from My Location (Beeston, UK) to Hunt Valley.

At the speed of light, 186282 miles/sec that gives a travel time of 0.038 sec, or 38 ms. Your ping is well within that.

LOL
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ha.

Now it all makes sense...

People playing in the US (on the EU server) say they have no problems, while people like me, playing in the UK, have endless ones.

God, that is really bad.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always assumed there is a "login server"/gatekeeper that is located on NA where both EU and NA clients first do a check connection (for Client information, version (if it is correct or needs update, your chapters/ESO+ and so on information), then based on your clients selected server they then connect to it, thus EU selected clients to the EU server, that is located at EU.

Would be nice to have actual confirmation from ZOS though.

@ZOS_GinaBruno would be nice to get a nugget of information on this. :)

Edited by Moonsorrow on June 23, 2019 8:25AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ..but you never know..

I played GW2 on the US server.

Didn't really have ping problems in PVE, only really in WvW (in big zergs).

Also, some of that might have been due to my broadband, as I couldn't keep checking it all the time, like I can here, if I lag during PVE.

Honestly, I could easily believe we're connected to the US - as, if anything, this is worse than GW2 is for me and it should be better.
    Edited by Tigerseye on June 23, 2019 8:28AM
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Great, thanks, nice to see I wasn't cocking up what I was seeing. They soon closed that thread didn't they (ostensibly because another was already discussing latency).
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »
    ..but you never know..

LOL

I should have said 3,547 x2 miles, miss-type, well spotted or are you laughing at something else?
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Great, thanks, nice to see I wasn't cocking up what I was seeing. They soon closed that thread didn't they (ostensibly because another was already discussing latency).

According to the method used in that thread the EU server is in Kansas...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the methodology is flawed.

• xMovingTarget
    xMovingTarget
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ofc they did
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ..but you never know..

LOL

I should have said 3,547 x2 miles, miss-type, well spotted or are you laughing at something else?

A signal through a fibre optic cable doesn't travel at the speed of light. Then you've got all the various "stops" it has to make....
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    ..but you never know..

LOL

A signal through a fibre optic cable doesn't travel at the speed of light. Then you've got all the various "stops" it has to make....

Well that depends on the type of fibre, yes in glass it's about 30% slower, but it is possible with some cables which are hollow tubes to achieve almost 100%. But even if it is a little slower than through a vacuum or through air that's not relevant to this discussion really. It's still well within his ping time, but you're right to point that out for accuracy sake if nothing else. Oh and by the way, light never stops moving, the signals are reprocessed along the way (hops), converted to electrical impulses and then back to photons but it never actually stops, there isn't a computer on route which suddenly halts the signal for x ms.

The main point of this discussion is that the so-called EU server is nothing of the sort.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked this morning.

PC EU megaserver is still in Frankfurt Germany. Still connected to the Level3 Frankfurt node.
    Edited by Elsonso on June 23, 2019 9:26AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if that was true and performance is ***....why not move it back now that zhe game is hugely successful especially in the Eu...?
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked this morning.

PC EU megaserver is still in Frankfurt Germany. Still connected to the Level3 Frankfurt node.

That's the login server

Check your actual eso64 executable pathway
    Edited by Mathius_Mordred on June 23, 2019 9:29AM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    ..but you never know..

LOL

Well that depends on the type of fibre, yes in glass it's about 30% slower, but it is possible with some cables which are hollow tubes to achieve almost 100%. But even if it is a little slower than through a vacuum or through air that's not relevant to this discussion really. It's still well within his ping time, but you're right to point that out for accuracy sake if nothing else. Oh and by the way, light never stops moving, the signals are reprocessed along the way (hops), converted to electrical impulses and then back to photons but it never actually stops, there isn't a computer on route which suddenly halts the signal for x ms.

The main point of this discussion is that the so-called EU server is nothing of the sort.

He/she means it won't be the case because you still have to pass other routers that don't belong to ZOS, other connections that aren't fiber (in your own home, on your street to you closest router, then fiber), other authentication servers that don't belong to ZOS and won't prioritize your traffic because they don't care about you playing a game, etc.

That's before factoring your ISP's peering agreement and route to the servers (you don't get the fastest connection possible because your ISP doesn't care about you and gaming either), and the fact that lines along the way may not be maintained properly anywhere from your home to the servers and can cause any amount of lag or retransmissions (which apparently ZOS servers do not allow for long -- you get booted).

That said, if you have a mobile phone and can tether + have a provider that doesn't deprioritize your data you can often get a faster connection to games depending on how good your signal is to the tower because cell providers often have a better infrastructure than landline providers (and less peering required; shorter routes), and tower signals are almost always set up as faster 1/2 duplex signal instead of an asynchronous full duplex connection (async. results in varying rates which causes lots of retransmission which is why they say "UP TO X speed." Windows also has a rate scaling function that increases lag when speed rates vary too often. You can also just restrict the speed on a router connected to a connection with rates that change to see better performance in games that apparently have not accounted for Windows' autoscaling feature like ESO...).

Speed from A to B doesn't prove a location. Also, your router is a better source of finding where ESO connects because Microsoft restricts certain types of connections from being shown through their API as a security feature.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Speed from A to B doesn't prove a location. Also, your router is a better source of finding where ESO connects because Microsoft restricts certain types of connections from being shown through their API as a security feature.

... and how do I see the connections from my router ? Been looking in the entire interface and couldn't see such a thing...
    (Pls. answer if the answer is easy of if there's a third-party tool for this, else leave it if too technical).
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... and how do I see the connections from my router ? Been looking in the entire interface and couldn't see such a thing...
    (Pls. answer if the answer is easy of if there's a third-party tool for this, else leave it if too technical).

Crtl+Alt+Del
    Task Manager
    Performance Tab
    Open Resource Monitor (bottom of page)
    Find the eso64.exe and check IP
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked this morning.

That's the login server

I have been checking the megaserver locations for a long time.

This morning, I got the actual IP addresses (plural) being used by ESO64.EXE, checked them against known EU megaserver IP addresses, and ran trace route from two different ISPs. I also checked the IP addresses against a routing database.

The PC EU megaserver does not look like it is in the United States. It looks like it is in Frankfurt Germany, exactly where ZOS says it should be.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Depends on the router you use, but most have the ability to log traffic through their firewall settings. Most ISP routers log when you have delays or packets lost too under the firewall log (and even what sites you visit). At least for the major brands. You can log into your router from the gateway address if you own the router. Default address is almost always http://192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

If its not, you will need the router's documentation... Some also require a password, and your ISP may stop you from logging into it (though I have never heard of an ISP doing that, but there may be one that likes charging service fees you never know...).

• Ixilith
    Ixilith
    ✭✭✭
    If you make a char on EU then make a char on NA u will reliese the pings are completely different :p I really can’t see Zos lying about server locations haha
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, its on Germany. Or you think that from 195.122.154.4 to 159.100.232.218 is possible on 1ms from Germany to USA? Dont trust geolocalization lists.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mathius_Mordred : thank you. Not sure this gives me the IPs used by my router - as opposed to my PC, but it's a nice trick to know. It goves me the same IPs for eso64.exe as the 3rd party software "CurrPorts".

These IPs seem to be located in the US but they seem to belong to Zenimax Germany and when doing a tracert it goes through Zenimax GmbH Frankfurt.

It seems to require more knowledge of network technologies that I'm ever able to provide, so I can draw any conclusion, but it seems to me that the OP is too paranoid ;-)

@Kadoin : thank you. Yes, I can access the router and its interface via 192.168.1.1 and a password, but from there I can see no way to access any sort of packet or connection log or journal. It's an ISP router... anyway, thanks for the info, but I guess I'll leave it at that :-)
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coletas wrote: »
    Lol, its on Germany. Or you think that from 195.122.154.4 to 159.100.232.218 is possible on 1ms from Germany to USA? Dont trust geolocalization lists.

195.122.154.4 could be in Frankfurt, Ohio, not Frankfurt, Germany.
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coletas wrote: »

195.122.154.4 is Zenimax Online, they are situated in Maryland, 159.100.232.218 is at Hunts Valley Maryland, so 1ms is about right yes.

inetnum: 195.122.154.0 - 195.122.155.255
    netname: ZENIMAX
    descr: BCHT6855
    admin-c: JF5024-RIPE
    tech-c: JF5024-RIPE
    remarks: all abuse reports to abuse@level3.com
    mnt-by: LEVEL3-MNT
    mnt-lower: LEVEL3-MNT
    mnt-routes: LEVEL3-MNT
    created: 2013-11-20T13:56:31Z
    last-modified: 2013-11-20T13:56:31Z
    source: RIPE # Filtered

person: Joe Fite
    address: joe.fite@zenimaxonline.com
    phone: +443-322-4713
    nic-hdl: JF5024-RIPE
    mnt-by: LEVEL3-MNT
    created: 2013-11-20T11:54:09Z
    last-modified: 2013-11-20T11:54:09Z
    source: RIPE

I don't see any German IP addresses
    Edited by Mathius_Mordred on June 23, 2019 11:19AM
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im playing from Europe. So lets say you are correct that EU server is located in the US. Then how come my Latency when playing on NA is 160-200ms while it is only 60-100 when playing on EU? With your logic my ping should be about the same on the two servers.

Edited by Jayman1000 on June 23, 2019 11:20AM
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked this morning.

That's the login server

I have been checking the megaserver locations for a long time.

This morning, I got the actual IP addresses (plural) being used by ESO64.EXE, checked them against known EU megaserver IP addresses, and ran trace route from two different ISPs. I also checked the IP addresses against a routing database.

The PC EU megaserver does not look like it is in the United States. It looks like it is in Frankfurt Germany, exactly where ZOS says it should be.

Hmm, could they be splitting the resources across two servers, one in Germany and one in the US? Mine is still connected to the Maryland IP.
This discussion has been closed.