Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Recommendation for a new player

• LoneWolf999
    Marginis wrote: »

Thank you very much for the tips and suggestions! i actually would love to go with a stamina DPS build. Do you think i can achieve it with dunmer? Cuz i'd like to use an occasional spell here and there and i hear dunmer have a magic passive. Or is it necessary that i choose from Orc or Redguard?

You are more than welcome.

I think to be honest, at the start of your ESO adventure, do not worry too much about the race. All races can play all roles, its just that some are better at some roles than others.

It is not required to pick Orc or Redguard for stam DPS, its just that Orc does most damage and Reguard has excellent resource management ("sustain"), so these tend to be great options.

If as you say you plan to create a build that is also using some magica based skills, then yes, Dunmer is an excellent choice as it gets passive bonuses to both stamina and magica. Elves are awesome in general anyway!

Picking your class is probably as important if not more important than your race (race can be changed with a purchased/acquired token - class cannot be changed). Each class gets three unique skill lines to pick skills from, along with the accompanying passives. So these often form a large part of any build.

Oh classes once chosen cannot be changed? I didn't know that. I thought i could give each of them a try a then decide on which suits me better. But if that's the case, which class would you recommend for a dual wielding stam build dunmer?

You can make multiple characters, and remake them as many times as you want for free (the only limit is how many characters you can delete per day, but over time you are able to delete as many as you want). You are able to change names, race, and appearance, but be cautioned that those cost crowns. Class and alliance are not able to be changed, likely due to technical reasons at this point.

It is recommended to make multiple characters, just to try everything out, and then if you gravitate toward one, maybe make it your main, deleting the others or keeping them as you desire. I personally have 18 (I bought extra character slots with crowns) characters, just to make sure I have an even mix of races, classes, alliances, and builds. It allows me to swap to something new or a different playstyle whenever I feel like it.

And for what it is worth, classes can all achieve relatively equal effect with any role - healer, tank, or damage dealer. The main differences are in how they achieve that effectiveness (classes all have some unique abilities that cannot be readily replicated by another class, though none make or break a build), and flavor (dragonknights work with earth, fire, and poison, where nightblades work with blood, shadow, and sneakiness, for example).

got it. since i've got all other things set, i'll make a few characters and try out the classes. Thanks a lot!
  • LoneWolf999
    My Bosmer came to ESO from 4k hours in Oblivion followed by 4k hours in Skyrim. She had always been a mystic archer - no melee and backing her bow up with spells. Not a good choice in ESO. . . so rather than rage quit, I tried some other options. Bow/bow is not bad if you devote to it and really learn how to optimize it. I've never played a multiplayer game and did not like most things that come with that (and still don't) but one saving grace is that I discovered my Bosmer absolutely loves embracing her nurturing side as a healer. She plays as several class/specs but her primary love is now a fairly pure templar healer. We still don't like multiplayer but the need for 'patients' to heal makes it ever so much more tolerable.

My point is that ESO is very different from the single player Elder Scrolls games but it is a good game in its own right. Don't be afraid to try new things with it and take your time finding a niche you are happy with.

wow that's awesome! I intend to try all the classes with my character and try to settle on which feels the most suited for me. Thank you very much!
  • Bored_Owl
    Bored_Owl
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but if you aren't sure about ESO+ there's sometimes free weekends and stuff like that where you can try it out for a few days and see if you like it before you buy. I did one of the free weekends and ended up getting it for the craft bag and the DLC access, but if you decide you don't need it, it'll go away after a few days and your account won't get billed.

If you plan on going into PvP (even if it's not your thing there's some good PvE skills you can unlock by doing it), remember that you can't change your alliance once a character is created, so if you've got friends on one alliance, make sure you've got a character on that alliance so you can play with them. Also PvP is very different to PvE, so if you really like it it's a good idea to make a character specifically for it so you're not constantly swapping skills around.

If you've got any of the chapters (Morrowind, Summerset, Elswyer) you'll start in those zones rather than the standard alliance starter zone and get the chapter zone's quest first. If you want to play in chronological order, pick up the overarching main quest by going to the Daggerfall in Glenumbra (Covenant), Davon's Watch in Stonefalls (Pact), or Vukel Guard (Dominion) and talk to the hooded figure. They'll give you the Main-Main Quest.

If you're looking for a guild, using the guild-finder in the guild menu is a good resource, or you can just put in zone chat that you're looking for whatever type of guild and someone will usually respond.

Don't be afraid to ask in zone for help with tough bosses or quests. We like killing monsters just as much as you :)
  • LoneWolf999
    Bored_Owl wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but if you aren't sure about ESO+ there's sometimes free weekends and stuff like that where you can try it out for a few days and see if you like it before you buy. I did one of the free weekends and ended up getting it for the craft bag and the DLC access, but if you decide you don't need it, it'll go away after a few days and your account won't get billed.

If you plan on going into PvP (even if it's not your thing there's some good PvE skills you can unlock by doing it), remember that you can't change your alliance once a character is created, so if you've got friends on one alliance, make sure you've got a character on that alliance so you can play with them. Also PvP is very different to PvE, so if you really like it it's a good idea to make a character specifically for it so you're not constantly swapping skills around.

If you've got any of the chapters (Morrowind, Summerset, Elswyer) you'll start in those zones rather than the standard alliance starter zone and get the chapter zone's quest first. If you want to play in chronological order, pick up the overarching main quest by going to the Daggerfall in Glenumbra (Covenant), Davon's Watch in Stonefalls (Pact), or Vukel Guard (Dominion) and talk to the hooded figure. They'll give you the Main-Main Quest.

If you're looking for a guild, using the guild-finder in the guild menu is a good resource, or you can just put in zone chat that you're looking for whatever type of guild and someone will usually respond.

Don't be afraid to ask in zone for help with tough bosses or quests. We like killing monsters just as much as you :)

So you mean create 2 characters, one for pve and one for pvp?

And thank you for the tips!
  • Bored_Owl
    Bored_Owl
    ✭✭
    Yes, but only if you plan on doing serious PvP. If you're just checking it out or trying to gain points in the alliance war skill line, you should be ok with your regular character if you just swap some skills around.

Building a separate character for PvP is kind of hard if you're used to building for PvE. I brought some of my PvE characters in first to get an idea of what skills were useful and what other people were doing before making one for myself.
    Edited by Bored_Owl on June 21, 2019 1:20PM
  • LoneWolf999
    Bored_Owl wrote: »
    Yes, but only if you plan on doing serious PvP. If you're just checking it out or trying to gain points in the alliance war skill line, you should be ok with your regular character if you just swap some skills around.

Building a separate character for PvP is kind of hard if you're used to building for PvE. I brought some of my PvE characters in first to get an idea of what skills were useful and what other people were doing before making one for myself.

okay got it. Thank you very much!
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another small but useful tip. Soul gems. With filled soul gems you can resurrect yourself in the same place you died instead of being teleported to the nearest wayshrine. You can also try to resurrect other players who have died. You know that every race comes with soul magic as a skill line, right? The first skill that's open in soul magic is the one you use to trap souls. You remember doing that during your earlier game in Skyrim, right? Slot it on your bar temporarily to fill up soul gems and then take it off.

But my tip is about buying them. If you find yourself short on soul gems and want to buy some, don't get them from the general merchant. Instead, seek out the mystic who may be found hovering around the crafting area's enchanting table, or inside the mages guild building. The mystic sells them for 50 gold each, a lot less than the general merchant.

Later in the game you'll be able to get a passive skill that has a percentage possibility of filling a soul gem when you kill an enemy. It works well! I don't have to fill them myself any more at all on my CP550 character. You'll also start to receive lots of soul gems in reward containers later in the game. It's only at the beginning that you have to buy and fill your own if you want to have/use them.

Happy playing!

TL;DR Buy soul gems from the mystic for 50 gold instead of triple the price at the general merchant.
    Edited by LadySinflower on June 21, 2019 7:45PM
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another small but useful tip. Soul gems. You know that every race comes with soul magic as a skill line, right? The first skill that's open in soul magic is the one you use to trap souls. You remember doing that during your earlier game in Skyrim, right? Slot it on your bar temporarily to fill up soul gems and then take it off. But my tip is about buying them. If you find yourself short on soul gems and want to buy some, don't get them from the general merchant. Instead, seek out the mystic who may be found hovering around the crafting area's enchanting table, or inside the mages guild building. The mystic sells them for 50 gold each, a lot less than the general merchant.

Happy playing!

I haven't had to actively seek out soul gems (or lockpicks) for years. As long as you loot a few backpacks or drawers here and there, you're set on lockpicks, and as long as you defeat a boss or do a delve every now and then, you should be pretty good on soul gems. If you do find yourself low, I've always recommended just farming some dolmens or gone on a stealing spree.

Or hit me up personally. I have like 2000 soul gems just collecting dust in a storage coffer right now. XD
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.