Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Recommendation for a new player

LoneWolf999
Hello everyone! I've just downloaded the game and about to start the game. But before that i have a few questions which i hope the vets can help me with
  • In skyrim i always went with dual wielding, a weapon in one hand and a spell in other hand, and sometime when i felt adventurous used 2 weapons in both hands. I'd like to know if this playstyle is viable in ESO? and if yes which race would be best suited for this play style.
  • I've heard that people without ESO+ will have limited inventory space, will this be a problem as i progress in the game? is it really necessary to sub ESO+ to make the most of the game?
  • Are there any tips you'd like to give to a beginner which they should be following?
Thank you very much.

Best Answer

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're in luck, @LoneWolf99 ... duel wield is definitely a viable playstyle in ESO.

However, there is no weapon/spell duel wielding yet. Only two weapons at the moment.

Any race can duel wield. However, the Stamina races have the best affinities for that skill line ... since most of the skills are stamina-based: Orc, Redguard, Bosmer, Dunmer. Even Imperial, Khajiit, and Nord have some sort of stamina bonus in their racial passives.

ESO+ comes recommended from a lot of players (including this player). However, my suggestion is to get some game time under your belt first. The game has a fair amount of inventory space without ESO+ ... especially for new players that don't have a lot of accumulated possessions yet. At some point for you, you will have played enough to know whether ESO+ will suit your playstyle. Finally, you can cancel ESO+ at any time and let the current subscription term run out (without renewal).

There are tons of helpful tips for beginners if you just search the forums, here. There is also an in-game help that has a wealth of information ... not to mention the many external websites that player enthusiasts have made.

The one tip I will give is that if you plan on pursuing the equipment crafting professions (blacksmithing, woodworking, clothing) ... make sure you start on your trait research right away.
    Answer ✓
  • LoneWolf999
    You're in luck, @LoneWolf99 ... duel wield is definitely a viable playstyle in ESO.

However, there is no weapon/spell duel wielding yet. Only two weapons at the moment.

Any race can duel wield. However, the Stamina races have the best affinities for that skill line ... since most of the skills are stamina-based: Orc, Redguard, Bosmer, Dunmer. Even Imperial, Khajiit, and Nord have some sort of stamina bonus in their racial passives.

ESO+ comes recommended from a lot of players (including this player). However, my suggestion is to get some game time under your belt first. The game has a fair amount of inventory space without ESO+ ... especially for new players that don't have a lot of accumulated possessions yet. At some point for you, you will have played enough to know whether ESO+ will suit your playstyle. Finally, you can cancel ESO+ at any time and let the current subscription term run out (without renewal).

There are tons of helpful tips for beginners if you just search the forums, here. There is also an in-game help that has a wealth of information ... not to mention the many external websites that player enthusiasts have made.

The one tip I will give is that if you plan on pursuing the equipment crafting professions (blacksmithing, woodworking, clothing) ... make sure you start on your trait research right away.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question. It's a bummer that there is no weapon/spell dual wielding. Is there no weapon/shield dual wielding too?

Among the stamina races that you have mentioned (orc, redguard, bosmer, dunmer) which one has better magic affinity than others? cuz since my play style involved spells in skyrim i'd try that too even if there is no dual wield.

and yes i'll take your advice and invest some hours into the game before deciding on ESO+.

Once again thank you very much for clearing things up!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my question. It's a bummer that there is no weapon/spell dual wielding. Is there no weapon/shield dual wielding too?

Among the stamina races that you have mentioned (orc, redguard, bosmer, dunmer) which one has better magic affinity than others? cuz since my play style involved spells in skyrim i'd try that too even if there is no dual wield.

and yes i'll take your advice and invest some hours into the game before deciding on ESO+.

Once again thank you very much for clearing things up!

Yes, there is weapon/shield, too! However, it is a separate skill line in ESO (One Hand + Shield).

So, you'll get to try both and each skill line has it's own different skills.

If you're going to try magic on the side, then I would recommend Dunmer. The Dark Elves have additional magicka bonuses in addition to their stamina ones.

One note of caution: It's usually better to commit to either stamina or magicka early on in your character's development. Players have found hybrid characters (that have equal stamina and magicka pools; along with mixed skills) are generally weaker in combat and not as much fun to play. Hybrid characters will be in the game some day ... but that day is not today.
  • LoneWolf999
    Yes, there is weapon/shield, too! However, it is a separate skill line in ESO (One Hand + Shield).

So, you'll get to try both and each skill line has it's own different skills.

If you're going to try magic on the side, then I would recommend Dunmer. The Dark Elves have additional magicka bonuses in addition to their stamina ones.

One note of caution: It's usually better to commit to either stamina or magicka early on in your character's development. Players have found hybrid characters (that have equal stamina and magicka pools; along with mixed skills) are generally weaker in combat and not as much fun to play. Hybrid characters will be in the game some day ... but that day is not today.

Ya i plan on going stamina route, and wanted to know which race has more affinity to magic so that they'd be better in magic by a slight margin which me investing into magic. So i'll be going with dunmer. Thanks a lot for the help and suggestions!
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to address the eso+ situation and inventory management. ZoS has invested a lot of time in making inventory very hard to manage without eso+. They want you to buy their subscription. In Skyrim you could just dump everything into a random chest that had unlimited space. You don't start out that way in ESO. Your inventory has only 50 slots in the beginning and your bank only 60. You can upgrade those for in-game gold, starting at small amounts but very quickly getting expensive. You're going to want to choose carefully what you carry with you. Your armor, weapons, and jewelry that you wear take up 12 slots total. Those slots remain part of your inventory while you wear the pieces. Once you decide to start accumulating crafting ingredients, food for buffs, treasure maps and surveys, and other misc. stuff our characters pick up, our inventory and bank space fills up fast. You can't just drop something on the ground like you could in Skyrim. You have to consume it in some way or destroy it, or else it stays in your inventory/bank. One way people without ESO+ deal with inventory issues is to create a second character and dump everything they can't bear to give up into the secondary character. But you'll learn very quickly that it's a hassle to switch between characters and shuffle things in and out of your shared bank space. One month of ESO+ is $15US. I think after a few hours of play you'll feel like you're able to make the decision about whether to spring for at least one month's worth to try out ESO+. Personally I found it really difficult and annoying to manage inventory without it but maybe ZoS counts on that. But I'm just letting you know this game is nothing like skyrim.

I also gravitated toward stamina because I played a stamina character in Skyrim. Magicka in ESO is more fun IMHO. But you'll decide what play style suits you. Just don't lock yourself into one play style by trying to hoard a bunch of the same types of weapons. Keep one or two at most of weapon types You're interested in, and if you decide type not going to use a certain weapon again, you can deconstruct it. There are lots of good beginner guides on YouTube. I really like Kevduit and Dottz Gaming.

Good luck and have fun!
    Edited by LadySinflower on June 21, 2019 6:25PM
  • LoneWolf999
    I wanted to address the eso+ situation and inventory management. ZoS has invested a lot of time in making inventory very hard to manage without eso+. They want you to buy their subscription. In Skyrim you could just dump everything into a random chest that had unlimited space. You don't start out that way in ESO. Your inventory has only 50 slots in the beginning and your bank only 60. You can upgrade those for in-game gold, starting at small amounts but very quickly getting expensive. You're going to want to choose carefully what you carry with you. Your armor, weapons, and jewelry that you wear take up 12 slots total. Those slots remain part of your inventory while you wear the pieces. Once you decide to start accumulating crafting ingredients, food for buffs, treasure maps and surveys, and other misc. stuff our characters pick up, ou
    $$r inventory and bank space fills up fast. You can't just drop something on the ground like you could in Skyrim. You have to consume it in some way or destroy it, or else it staysin your inventory/bank. One way people without ESO+ deal with inventory issues is to create a second character and dump everything they can't bear to give up into the secondary character. But you'll learn very quickly that it's a hassle to switch between characters and shuffle things in and out of your shared bank space. One month of ESO+ is $15US. I think after a few hours of play you'll feel like you're able to make the decision about whether to spring for at least one month's worth to try out ESO+. Personally I found it really difficult and annoying to manage inventory without it but maybe ZoS counts on that. But I'm just letting you know this game is nothing like skyrim.

I also gravitated toward stamina because I played a stamina character in Skyrim. Magicka in ESO is more fun IMHO. But you'll decide what play style suits you. Just don't lock yourself into one play style by trying to hoard a bunch of the same types of weapons. Keep one or two at most of weapon types You're interested in, and if you decide type not going to use a certain weapon again, you can deconstruct it. There are lots of good beginner guides on YouTube. I really like Kevduit and Dottz Gaming.

Good luck and have fun!

ya i plan on pouring some hours into the game, get the feel of it and then decide on getting the ESO+. Thank you for the suggestions and recommendations, i'll be sure to check those channels.
  • Stokowski
    Stokowski
    ✭✭✭
    I recently started. Here's my take.

Weapons and spells. The system is quite different from Skyrim but pretty much any build is workable when you do your homework and test out various approaches and synergies.

You have 8 (eight!!) character slots to play with; try out different class/race combos, until you hit on the one that works for you as a "main".

Ensure you have enough money for ongoing inventory upgrades (pack merchants) ASAP and riding skill upgrades (250g a day).

ESO+ is awesome for the crafting bag. Not planning on doing a lot of crafting and/or not going to play a lot of different characters at the same time? Can be safely skipped ... until you get hooked and want to try all the DLC.

Alchemy is super handy no matter what else you decide to do or not do crafting-wise. Make your own potions!

There are two resource pools: Stamina. Magicka. Different skills draw upon different pools. But the maxium size of a pool matters a lot to the power of many of its skills, so you want one of those (whichever serves the kinds of skillset you are employing) as BIG as possible. Don't split your points (unless aiming for a special kind of tank build which requires that).

Late game, racial differences don't matter too much, so you can just pick whatever race you most like and not be "gimped". On the other hand, leveling your first character can be a rather long process and it can be troubling to have in the back of your mind that you may not have made the most "optimal" choice. Your call. But if you take the "efficient" approach, then simply match up race with resource pool. Am I a Stam or Mag character? What races have bonuses to Stamina or Magicka pools and regeneration?

Switch ON Autoloot.
    Switch OFF attack friendly targets (not sure exact wording).

Soul gems and lockpicks are reasonably plentiful. Never be afraid to use them. (If worst come to the worst, you can purchase extras.)

Visit a merchant. Check out their right-most icon. That's Repair. Repair is good.
  • LoneWolf999
    Stokowski wrote: »
    I recently started. Here's my take.

Weapons and spells. The system is quite different from Skyrim but pretty much any build is workable when you do your homework and test out various approaches and synergies.

You have 8 (eight!!) character slots to play with; try out different class/race combos, until you hit on the one that works for you as a "main".

Ensure you have enough money for ongoing inventory upgrades (pack merchants) ASAP and riding skill upgrades (250g a day).

ESO+ is awesome for the crafting bag. Not planning on doing a lot of crafting and/or not going to play a lot of different characters at the same time? Can be safely skipped ... until you get hooked and want to try all the DLC.

Alchemy is super handy no matter what else you decide to do or not do crafting-wise. Make your own potions!

There are two resource pools: Stamina. Magicka. Different skills draw upon different pools. But the maxium size of a pool matters a lot to the power of many of its skills, so you want one of those (whichever serves the kinds of skillset you are employing) as BIG as possible. Don't split your points (unless aiming for a special kind of tank build which requires that).

Late game, racial differences don't matter too much, so you can just pick whatever race you most like and not be "gimped". On the other hand, leveling your first character can be a rather long process and it can be troubling to have in the back of your mind that you may not have made the most "optimal" choice. Your call. But if you take the "efficient" approach, then simply match up race with resource pool. Am I a Stam or Mag character? What races have bonuses to Stamina or Magicka pools and regeneration?

Switch ON Autoloot.
    Switch OFF attack friendly targets (not sure exact wording).

Soul gems and lockpicks are reasonably plentiful. Never be afraid to use them. (If worst come to the worst, you can purchase extras.)

Visit a merchant. Check out their right-most icon. That's Repair. Repair is good.

awesome! thanks for the tips!
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone! I've just downloaded the game and about to start the game. But before that i have a few questions which i hope the vets can help me with
    • In skyrim i always went with dual wielding, a weapon in one hand and a spell in other hand, and sometime when i felt adventurous used 2 weapons in both hands. I'd like to know if this playstyle is viable in ESO? and if yes which race would be best suited for this play style.
    • I've heard that people without ESO+ will have limited inventory space, will this be a problem as i progress in the game? is it really necessary to sub ESO+ to make the most of the game?
    • Are there any tips you'd like to give to a beginner which they should be following?
    Thank you very much.

Welcome!

- Duel wielding is one of the main weapon options for Stamina damage dealing. Note that this is two weapons, not a weapon and spell as ESO does not quite work like that. If I assume that you would like in general to be a damage dealer using Stamina as your main resource, I would recommend Orc or Redguard race.
    There are three main roles in ESO for PVE and PVP content... DPS (damage per second), Tank, Healer, the later two being support roles. If its damage you want then as I mentioned Orc, Redguard or also Dunmer are good options. If its tank, Orc, Nord, Imperial are good options. I doubt its healing your into at the moment given your weapon preference, but for magica wielding in general, its Bretons and Altmer.

-ESO plus accounts main benefit is an unlimited "Craft" bag, almost all crafting type items go into this bag. If you wish to craft armour regularly, or create potions or food resources, not having an ESO plus account will be an issue as you progress.
    Personally I can afford it so I have it and certainly do not regret it, its invaluable. Note that you also gain more experience (so level up faster) and get free Crown store currency each month, not to be sniffed at - it allows me to get cosmetic and quality of life items on a semi regular basis, for no extra real world money. Please also note that you dont NEED ESO plus, its just a quality of life improvement that does make the game easier.

-For any beginner, I would say follow the three main quests, being Fighters guild, Mages guild and the main overarching story. I would also recommend doing "delvs" (the torch icon on the map) as these give lots of exp, skill points and skyshards (more skill points), often have engaging story and can be great fun!
    Its easy to get lost with the amount of story content available, but sticking to these and following them through will open up the map. They get you tons of experience (needed to level your character up) and helps you learn the game, not to mention the stories are actually all really good. I would also highly recommend checking out some videos and guides online from good content providers, such as Alcast. I would also strongly recommend you find a guild or two to join, that welcomes new and inexperienced players, as the guidance and help they can give you will usually be beneficial. Its also nice to play content with folk, particularly if/when you do dungeons etc.
    Finally, just a small point, these forums can be hugely helpful. However they are also populated by on average, players at the higher end of the ability and skill spectrum, meaning many times the discussions taking place are not entirely applicable to the average player, just bare that in mind :)

Happy gaming!
    Edited by Grianasteri on June 19, 2019 8:18AM
  • LoneWolf999
    Thank you very much.

Welcome!

- Duel wielding is one of the main weapon options for Stamina damage dealing. Note that this is two weapons, not a weapon and spell as ESO does not quite work like that. If I assume that you would like in general to be a damage dealer using Stamina as your main resource, I would recommend Orc or Redguard race.
    There are three main roles in ESO for PVE and PVP content... DPS (damage per second), Tank, Healer, the later two being support roles. If its damage you want then as I mentioned Orc, Redguard or also Dunmer are good options. If its tank, Orc, Nord, Imperial are good options. I doubt its healing your into at the moment given your weapon preference, but for magica wielding in general, its Bretons and Altmer.

-ESO plus accounts main benefit is an unlimited "Craft" bag, almost all crafting type items go into this bag. If you wish to craft armour regularly, or create potions or food resources, not having an ESO plus account will be an issue as you progress.
    Personally I can afford it so I have it and certainly do not regret it, its invaluable. Note that you also gain more experience (so level up faster) and get free Crown store currency each month, not to be sniffed at - it allows me to get cosmetic and quality of life items on a semi regular basis, for no extra real world money. Please also note that you dont NEED ESO plus, its just a quality of life improvement that does make the game easier.

-For any beginner, I would say follow the three main quests, being Fighters guild, Mages guild and the main overarching story. I would also recommend doing "delvs" (the torch icon on the map) as these give lots of exp, skill points and skyshards (more skill points), often have engaging story and can be great fun!
    Its easy to get lost with the amount of story content available, but sticking to these and following them through will open up the map. They get you tons of experience (needed to level your character up) and helps you learn the game, not to mention the stories are actually all really good. I would also highly recommend checking out some videos and guides online from good content providers, such as Alcast. I would also strongly recommend you find a guild or two to join, that welcomes new and inexperienced players, as the guidance and help they can give you will usually be beneficial. Its also nice to play content with folk, particularly if/when you do dungeons etc.
    Finally, just a small point, these forums can be hugely helpful. However they are also populated by on average, players at the higher end of the ability and skill spectrum, meaning many times the discussions taking place are not entirely applicable to the average player, just bare that in mind :)

Happy gaming!

Thank you very much for the tips and suggestions! i actually would love to go with a stamina DPS build. Do you think i can achieve it with dunmer? Cuz i'd like to use an occasional spell here and there and i hear dunmer have a magic passive. Or is it necessary that i choose from Orc or Redguard?
  • Stokowski
    Stokowski
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, it's not necessary to pick from Orc or Redguard; they just happen to be perfect fits for a Stam DPS. Dunmer (and Khajiit for that matter) are great all-rounders. You really can't go wrong with any of them. It just means tweaking your gear and champion points (which are extra post-level 50 build elements) to "make up" anything you may feel is lacking - and that depends at least as much on your personal play-style and preferences as spreadsheets full of numbers.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Racial+Skills

I also second whoever above recommended Dottzgaming for guidance and ideas too.

Edited by Stokowski on June 19, 2019 1:19PM
  • LiraTaurwen
    LiraTaurwen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My tip for beginners...spend the less money possible on this game until you are sure you are not affected by bugs and bad performance and even then... guess its your choice after that.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Please consider the following to be completely my opinion. YMMV.

When leveling, merchant repair can be very expensive as well as unnecessary. I would recommend you visit some guild traders and look for level-appropriate repair kits. They tend to be cheaper than the merchants.

Also, while leveling, you should be upgrading your gear relatively often. If you do that then you won't need to repair at all.

PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding ESO+. I've been playing about a year and have a main character who is a master crafter, I can say if you are into crafting at all ESO+ is just a must and just consider it $30 a month to play. That being said I started a new character with the new expansion and have played him as a total newby, giving him nothing from my main period and stayed away from picking up crafting ingredients no matter how hard is was to not stop and pick them!.

I found I did not need ESO plus and here is why. Each day you can visit the stables in any large town and for 250 gold you can increase your capacity by one. I did that each day. Also there are bagging merchants that sell ten slots for a set amount, you get the first ten cheap, the next at a higher rate and so and and so on. You can go up to 200 slots total. You can also do the same by visiting the bank, increase bank inventory for a base amount by ten and so on and so on.

Of course being new you have no idea how to make this gold. I started my toon in the new Elsewyr expansion and there are what are called Motifs(which are armor and weapon styles so you can change how your stuff looks on your characters) and there are housing crafting schematics to make like desks, lamps, beds and TONS of stuff). All of these drop off of mobs and can be sold for LARGE amounts of gold. My advice is if you have the new expansion and you see a dragon on the map just go there as fast as you can and help kill it, these drop there often. Last night my level 25 toon picked up some sort of Elsweyr bed schematic that after checking prices it was selling for 160,000 gold. Just go there do your normal learning stuff and whack a dragon once in a while and you won't need ESO plus(unless you craft).
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see there are already a good number of solid replies, but for what it's worth, I'd like to throw in my two cents.

Combat in ESO is very different to Skyrim, so there isn't a direct analog for dual wielding magic and a weapon. Rather picking some equipment for one hand and some equipment for the other, we now have a system where we equip a weapon or weapon set, and then have use of six different abilities at any given time. Whichever weapon(s) we have equipped all do the same things (light attacks, heavy attacks, blocking, bashing), and aside from a few exceptions, your abilities are what apply all the interesting effects to enemies and yourself.

To that end, stamina and magicka are treated the same in moment to moment gameplay as in Skyrim, even though in building a character they act very differently. Increasing your max stamina, for example, will also increase your weapon and physical damage, which means you have fewer points to spend in magicka, which means you are limited in how much spell power your magic has. So you could balance points put into magicka and stamina, but you'd be unable to reach the power of a pure stamina or pure magicka class. This is why hybrids, while possible, are generally considered lower tier, and more difficult to make, in ESO, even though they were great in Skyrim.

If you do want to go the hybrid magicka/stamina route, know that you will be limited to swapping weapons from a staff to a physical weapon (you cannot have both out at the same time), and unless you plan on being a tank you will be less effective than most of your allies. Dark Elves are great hybrid class choices, and the Warden class is pretty good to hybrids in my experience, and there are specific armor sets for hybrids that can help you out.

If you don't (which is what I would recommend) it can alleviate some of the pain by imagining the stamina abilities you equip are magical spells, and there are some magic abilities you can use that don't rely on spell power to be effective.

While we're on the subject though, it's worth looking into some of the more prominent changes from Skyrim. Frost, shock, and flame damage behave differently, for example. In TESV it was purely the difference of if the effect drained health, magicka, or stamina, whereas in ESO shock is used for AOE, flame for single target, and frost for defense. There are a lot of resources out there that can help, but it's generally best not to think of the combat in ESO as an analog to the combat of previous TES titles.
    [*] I've heard that people without ESO+ will have limited inventory space, will this be a problem as i progress in the game? is it really necessary to sub ESO+ to make the most of the game?

ESO+ is really only useful in my opinion at later levels, and even then only if you plan on being a crafter or otherwise collecting crafting materials, for the craft bag. The XP boost is nice but unnecessary, and the DLC can be bought separately without relying on a subscription (although if you do plan on subscribing, I would not throw away money buying the DLCs separately).

Before the craft bag existed it was somewhat annoying, but quite possible, to use the inventories of alternate characters or a guild bank for space, if you need it. There are also plenty of ways to increase storage space without spending money, from getting storage chests and coffers to upgrading your inventory and bank space from a bag merchant to increasing your inventory with capacity upgrades to your mount.

Overall, in my opinion, ESO+ is not necessary. When I don't have money to re-up my subscription, I can still play the game quite easily. That said I do subscribe. It is a convenience, and if you plan on buying things from the crown store, it is a good way to get crowns over time without having to drop a large amount of cash all at once (with ESO+ you get 1,650 crowns per month).
    [*] Are there any tips you'd like to give to a beginner which they should be following?

Thank you very much.

There are a lot of things in this game to learn and do, and updates add a lot fairly often. Take things one step at a time, don't let people tell you that how you're playing the game is wrong, and maybe find a good guild or an experienced player to hang out with and help you when you don't know something. Oh, and learn chat commands, those things are useful lol. Happy ESOing~
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • LoneWolf999
    In my opinion, it's not necessary to pick from Orc or Redguard; they just happen to be perfect fits for a Stam DPS. Dunmer (and Khajiit for that matter) are great all-rounders. You really can't go wrong with any of them. It just means tweaking your gear and champion points (which are extra post-level 50 build elements) to "make up" anything you may feel is lacking - and that depends at least as much on your personal play-style and preferences as spreadsheets full of numbers.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Racial+Skills

I also second whoever above recommended Dottzgaming for guidance and ideas too.

Awesome! i can go ahead with dunmer then. Thank you very much!
  • LoneWolf999
    My tip for beginners...spend the less money possible on this game until you are sure you are not affected by bugs and bad performance and even then... guess its your choice after that.

Got it. I'll pour some time into the game before deciding any purchases. Thank you!
  • LoneWolf999
    Kaymorolis wrote: »

When leveling, merchant repair can be very expensive as well as unnecessary. I would recommend you visit some guild traders and look for level-appropriate repair kits. They tend to be cheaper than the merchants.

Also, while leveling, you should be upgrading your gear relatively often. If you do that then you won't need to repair at all.

Understood. As soon as i get the hang of the game i'll search for a guild asap. Thank you!
  • LoneWolf999
    Regarding ESO+. I've been playing about a year and have a main character who is a master crafter, I can say if you are into crafting at all ESO+ is just a must and just consider it $30 a month to play. That being said I started a new character with the new expansion and have played him as a total newby, giving him nothing from my main period and stayed away from picking up crafting ingredients no matter how hard is was to not stop and pick them!.

I found I did not need ESO plus and here is why. Each day you can visit the stables in any large town and for 250 gold you can increase your capacity by one. I did that each day. Also there are bagging merchants that sell ten slots for a set amount, you get the first ten cheap, the next at a higher rate and so and and so on. You can go up to 200 slots total. You can also do the same by visiting the bank, increase bank inventory for a base amount by ten and so on and so on.

Of course being new you have no idea how to make this gold. I started my toon in the new Elsewyr expansion and there are what are called Motifs(which are armor and weapon styles so you can change how your stuff looks on your characters) and there are housing crafting schematics to make like desks, lamps, beds and TONS of stuff). All of these drop off of mobs and can be sold for LARGE amounts of gold. My advice is if you have the new expansion and you see a dragon on the map just go there as fast as you can and help kill it, these drop there often. Last night my level 25 toon picked up some sort of Elsweyr bed schematic that after checking prices it was selling for 160,000 gold. Just go there do your normal learning stuff and whack a dragon once in a while and you won't need ESO plus(unless you craft).

Awesome! Thank you for the info! i dont have any expansions as of now. I plan to decide on getting them after playing the game for a bit. Is there anyway to farm gold in the base game?
  • LoneWolf999
    Marginis wrote: »
    I see there are already a good number of solid replies, but for what it's worth, I'd like to throw in my two cents.

Combat in ESO is very different to Skyrim, so there isn't a direct analog for dual wielding magic and a weapon. Rather picking some equipment for one hand and some equipment for the other, we now have a system where we equip a weapon or weapon set, and then have use of six different abilities at any given time. Whichever weapon(s) we have equipped all do the same things (light attacks, heavy attacks, blocking, bashing), and aside from a few exceptions, your abilities are what apply all the interesting effects to enemies and yourself.

To that end, stamina and magicka are treated the same in moment to moment gameplay as in Skyrim, even though in building a character they act very differently. Increasing your max stamina, for example, will also increase your weapon and physical damage, which means you have fewer points to spend in magicka, which means you are limited in how much spell power your magic has. So you could balance points put into magicka and stamina, but you'd be unable to reach the power of a pure stamina or pure magicka class. This is why hybrids, while possible, are generally considered lower tier, and more difficult to make, in ESO, even though they were great in Skyrim.

If you do want to go the hybrid magicka/stamina route, know that you will be limited to swapping weapons from a staff to a physical weapon (you cannot have both out at the same time), and unless you plan on being a tank you will be less effective than most of your allies. Dark Elves are great hybrid class choices, and the Warden class is pretty good to hybrids in my experience, and there are specific armor sets for hybrids that can help you out.

If you don't (which is what I would recommend) it can alleviate some of the pain by imagining the stamina abilities you equip are magical spells, and there are some magic abilities you can use that don't rely on spell power to be effective.

While we're on the subject though, it's worth looking into some of the more prominent changes from Skyrim. Frost, shock, and flame damage behave differently, for example. In TESV it was purely the difference of if the effect drained health, magicka, or stamina, whereas in ESO shock is used for AOE, flame for single target, and frost for defense. There are a lot of resources out there that can help, but it's generally best not to think of the combat in ESO as an analog to the combat of previous TES titles.
    [*] I've heard that people without ESO+ will have limited inventory space, will this be a problem as i progress in the game? is it really necessary to sub ESO+ to make the most of the game?

ESO+ is really only useful in my opinion at later levels, and even then only if you plan on being a crafter or otherwise collecting crafting materials, for the craft bag. The XP boost is nice but unnecessary, and the DLC can be bought separately without relying on a subscription (although if you do plan on subscribing, I would not throw away money buying the DLCs separately).

Before the craft bag existed it was somewhat annoying, but quite possible, to use the inventories of alternate characters or a guild bank for space, if you need it. There are also plenty of ways to increase storage space without spending money, from getting storage chests and coffers to upgrading your inventory and bank space from a bag merchant to increasing your inventory with capacity upgrades to your mount.

Overall, in my opinion, ESO+ is not necessary. When I don't have money to re-up my subscription, I can still play the game quite easily. That said I do subscribe. It is a convenience, and if you plan on buying things from the crown store, it is a good way to get crowns over time without having to drop a large amount of cash all at once (with ESO+ you get 1,650 crowns per month).
    [*] Are there any tips you'd like to give to a beginner which they should be following?

Thank you very much.

There are a lot of things in this game to learn and do, and updates add a lot fairly often. Take things one step at a time, don't let people tell you that how you're playing the game is wrong, and maybe find a good guild or an experienced player to hang out with and help you when you don't know something. Oh, and learn chat commands, those things are useful lol. Happy ESOing~

I see you have mentioned Dunmer as a hybrid race. But is it possible to go with a stamina build dunmer? Cuz i've just seen the race traits and dunmer have the dual wielding bonus, which is how i plan to play. If not i'd have to choose between redguard and orc.

And thank you for all the tips and suggestions!
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Thank you for the info! i dont have any expansions as of now. I plan to decide on getting them after playing the game for a bit. Is there anyway to farm gold in the base game?

Go find what is called a Dolmen, there are several in each of most of the old zones. It's basically an area where a lot of mobs spawn. It's almost the same thing as the dragons except its just a bunch of mobs that spawn in the same spot and people come from all over and kill them. Once all the mobs die a treasure chest appears and everyone loots it. You get rings and weapons and if they are a certain type or quality you can then sell those. Most don't sell for as much as the new expansion stuff does but for a newbie 5 to 20k gold is a lot. Plus it's also a good way to get armor you'll want to use. I think in one zone there is a dolmen farm people just go from one to the next and the next and level quick and gather loot, it's Aikir Dessert I think. When my main was new I was poor and did the thieves guild quest line, it helps you pickpocket and such. at the end o the day before I logged out I killed a ton of NPC's and looted them, it racks up a bounty but that's gone by the time you log in the next day. Was making about 10 to 20k a day easily.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much.

I see you have mentioned Dunmer as a hybrid race. But is it possible to go with a stamina build dunmer? Cuz i've just seen the race traits and dunmer have the dual wielding bonus, which is how i plan to play. If not i'd have to choose between redguard and orc.

And thank you for all the tips and suggestions!

Dunmer are a great hybrid race because they have bonuses to both magicka and stamina. Another defining trait of theirs is fire resistance. These things benefit them greatly as hybrid characters, or vampires, and a few other roles, but just because they have some bonuses doesn't mean you can't do anything pretty much equally effectively with any race. If you want to role a stamina Dark Elf, absolutely go for it. If you want a different race as a hybrid, do it.

I did see you mention dual wielding though, so a note about that: the skill line will level up faster, but it will not have any other bonuses, so it means practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's also important to note that while races generally keep things that define them, like the Dunmer fire resistance or Altmer magicka bonuses, ZOS updates and rebalances stuff all the time, so I highly recommend playing what you want to rather than depending on what things are "good" in the metagame currently.

Take it from my Khajiit magicka Nightblade offhealer tank, any character build can be good if you play it right.

I also saw some notes about making gold in the game. Just a few notes on that.
    1. Gold isn't that important. You can play and do everything without worrying about trading with other players. As a crafter I know better than most that gold is only necessary if you want to avoid doing content that might be too hard or too tedious.
    2. The best way to make gold is to already have a lot, then play the market. Be in five trading guilds, check prices, buy low, sell high, take advantage of good deals.
    3. The best way to make gold without already having a ton is to farm. Farm high level bosses or dungeons where rare items and motifs drop, farm raw crafting materials that kind of thing. In lieu of that, become a combat god and power level noobs for cash, or become a crafting god and craft sets for noobs. If you're good at something never do it for free.
    4. And of course, if you just have a ton of IRL cash, buy crowns and sell them to other players. Instant millions.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • LoneWolf999

Go find what is called a Dolmen, there are several in each of most of the old zones. It's basically an area where a lot of mobs spawn. It's almost the same thing as the dragons except its just a bunch of mobs that spawn in the same spot and people come from all over and kill them. Once all the mobs die a treasure chest appears and everyone loots it. You get rings and weapons and if they are a certain type or quality you can then sell those. Most don't sell for as much as the new expansion stuff does but for a newbie 5 to 20k gold is a lot. Plus it's also a good way to get armor you'll want to use. I think in one zone there is a dolmen farm people just go from one to the next and the next and level quick and gather loot, it's Aikir Dessert I think. When my main was new I was poor and did the thieves guild quest line, it helps you pickpocket and such. at the end o the day before I logged out I killed a ton of NPC's and looted them, it racks up a bounty but that's gone by the time you log in the next day. Was making about 10 to 20k a day easily.

got it. Thanks a lot for the info!!!!
  • LoneWolf999
    Dunmer are a great hybrid race because they have bonuses to both magicka and stamina. Another defining trait of theirs is fire resistance. These things benefit them greatly as hybrid characters, or vampires, and a few other roles, but just because they have some bonuses doesn't mean you can't do anything pretty much equally effectively with any race. If you want to role a stamina Dark Elf, absolutely go for it. If you want a different race as a hybrid, do it.

I did see you mention dual wielding though, so a note about that: the skill line will level up faster, but it will not have any other bonuses, so it means practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's also important to note that while races generally keep things that define them, like the Dunmer fire resistance or Altmer magicka bonuses, ZOS updates and rebalances stuff all the time, so I highly recommend playing what you want to rather than depending on what things are "good" in the metagame currently.

Take it from my Khajiit magicka Nightblade offhealer tank, any character build can be good if you play it right.

I also saw some notes about making gold in the game. Just a few notes on that.
    1. Gold isn't that important. You can play and do everything without worrying about trading with other players. As a crafter I know better than most that gold is only necessary if you want to avoid doing content that might be too hard or too tedious.
    2. The best way to make gold is to already have a lot, then play the market. Be in five trading guilds, check prices, buy low, sell high, take advantage of good deals.
    3. The best way to make gold without already having a ton is to farm. Farm high level bosses or dungeons where rare items and motifs drop, farm raw crafting materials that kind of thing. In lieu of that, become a combat god and power level noobs for cash, or become a crafting god and craft sets for noobs. If you're good at something never do it for free.
    4. And of course, if you just have a ton of IRL cash, buy crowns and sell them to other players. Instant millions.

Ah, i thought dunmer has a bonus for dual wielding, so its just a exp bump. Oh well, i'll follow what you've said, i'll stick with dunmer and build him according to my needs!

Also thanks a lot for the info and tips on making gold!
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also Margins is correct, you don't really need gold as much in this game as others. You do for increasing bank and personal inventory space which is all I've used it for on my new toon. You'll level so fast in this game that if you buy it you'll be needing new armor quickly. My new toon has only died by jumping off cliffs and killing the dragons and he is level 26 I think. You'll find enough armor that works to get you by and by the time you have the hang of things then you can farm or buy what you need as far as sets go.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Kaymorolis wrote: »

Understood. As soon as i get the hang of the game i'll search for a guild asap. Thank you!

You don't need to be in a guild to shop at guild traders. When you get to a city look at the map. There will usually be a few of them there somewhere. You basically are shopping from whatever guild won that trader spot.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much for the tips and suggestions! i actually would love to go with a stamina DPS build. Do you think i can achieve it with dunmer? Cuz i'd like to use an occasional spell here and there and i hear dunmer have a magic passive. Or is it necessary that i choose from Orc or Redguard?

You are more than welcome.

I think to be honest, at the start of your ESO adventure, do not worry too much about the race. All races can play all roles, its just that some are better at some roles than others.

It is not required to pick Orc or Redguard for stam DPS, its just that Orc does most damage and Reguard has excellent resource management ("sustain"), so these tend to be great options.

If as you say you plan to create a build that is also using some magica based skills, then yes, Dunmer is an excellent choice as it gets passive bonuses to both stamina and magica. Elves are awesome in general anyway!

Picking your class is probably as important if not more important than your race (race can be changed with a purchased/acquired token - class cannot be changed). Each class gets three unique skill lines to pick skills from, along with the accompanying passives. So these often form a large part of any build.
  • LoneWolf999

I think to be honest, at the start of your ESO adventure, do not worry too much about the race. All races can play all roles, its just that some are better at some roles than others.

It is not required to pick Orc or Redguard for stam DPS, its just that Orc does most damage and Reguard has excellent resource management ("sustain"), so these tend to be great options.

If as you say you plan to create a build that is also using some magica based skills, then yes, Dunmer is an excellent choice as it gets passive bonuses to both stamina and magica. Elves are awesome in general anyway!

Picking your class is probably as important if not more important than your race (race can be changed with a purchased/acquired token - class cannot be changed). Each class gets three unique skill lines to pick skills from, along with the accompanying passives. So these often form a large part of any build.

Oh classes once chosen cannot be changed? I didn't know that. I thought i could give each of them a try a then decide on which suits me better. But if that's the case, which class would you recommend for a dual wielding stam build dunmer?
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh classes once chosen cannot be changed? I didn't know that. I thought i could give each of them a try a then decide on which suits me better. But if that's the case, which class would you recommend for a dual wielding stam build dunmer?

You can make multiple characters, and remake them as many times as you want for free (the only limit is how many characters you can delete per day, but over time you are able to delete as many as you want). You are able to change names, race, and appearance, but be cautioned that those cost crowns. Class and alliance are not able to be changed, likely due to technical reasons at this point.

It is recommended to make multiple characters, just to try everything out, and then if you gravitate toward one, maybe make it your main, deleting the others or keeping them as you desire. I personally have 18 (I bought extra character slots with crowns) characters, just to make sure I have an even mix of races, classes, alliances, and builds. It allows me to swap to something new or a different playstyle whenever I feel like it.

And for what it is worth, classes can all achieve relatively equal effect with any role - healer, tank, or damage dealer. The main differences are in how they achieve that effectiveness (classes all have some unique abilities that cannot be readily replicated by another class, though none make or break a build), and flavor (dragonknights work with earth, fire, and poison, where nightblades work with blood, shadow, and sneakiness, for example).
    Edited by Marginis on June 20, 2019 2:50PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Bosmer came to ESO from 4k hours in Oblivion followed by 4k hours in Skyrim. She had always been a mystic archer - no melee and backing her bow up with spells. Not a good choice in ESO. . . so rather than rage quit, I tried some other options. Bow/bow is not bad if you devote to it and really learn how to optimize it. I've never played a multiplayer game and did not like most things that come with that (and still don't) but one saving grace is that I discovered my Bosmer absolutely loves embracing her nurturing side as a healer. She plays as several class/specs but her primary love is now a fairly pure templar healer. We still don't like multiplayer but the need for 'patients' to heal makes it ever so much more tolerable.

My point is that ESO is very different from the single player Elder Scrolls games but it is a good game in its own right. Don't be afraid to try new things with it and take your time finding a niche you are happy with.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo