The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What exactly is a "zergling"?

bulbousb16_ESO
bulbousb16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm hearing this term a lot. Sounds vaguely derogatory. What does it mean?
Lethal zergling
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is 100% derogatory and said by people that want to make themselves feel superior.
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an example of a zergling. Note that these are completely made up names and do not refer to anyone in particular.

Chauncy is a bow/bow Dragonknight fighting for Ebonheart Pact. Chauncy's 50 man group just came across 5 Aldmeri Dominion Soldiers. Chauncy doesn't know how to do anything but arrow spray, so instead of actually fighting, Chauncy places a meat bag catapult in the open field and sieges the 5 AD soldiers down while his friends spam them with light attacks.

This would be a zergling.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if you're not using a Meat Bag Catapult in an Open Field, you are not a "zergling"?
    Lethal zergling
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Somebody who runs in uncoordinated PvDoor groups larger than 8. Keep in mind that ball groups are coordinated group comped builds while zerglings are just wearing whatever and usually just run in a large blob mindlessly taking keeps&resources and charging headfirst towards enemies with little to no strategy. Also zerglings siege a lot, typically against players while they outnumber said opponents.
    Most zerglings are bad players since most zerg blobs are a bunch of noobs who cannot hold their own in a 1v1 or fight outnumbered. They typically get 1vX’d and complain about said 1vX’er and claim they run super broken sets when in reality they’re just better players.
    Most of the complaints on forums regarding PvP are from zerglings.
    A true good player can hold their own in a 1v1 and can fight outnumbered and play solo without having to rely on his 23 other group members to fight enemies for them.
    So yes, it is a derogatory term.
    Edited by frostz417 on May 29, 2019 3:16PM
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is 100% derogatory and said by people that want to make themselves feel superior.

The only definition that's needed.
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if you're not using a Meat Bag Catapult in an Open Field, you are not a "zergling"?

Pretty much yea. Except there are 100's more ways to be a zergling.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A "Zerg" is a full raid of players acting as a hivemind to accomplish a goal. For instance, if you see 24 EP/DC/AD rushing a keep- I'd call that a zerg.

However, to some people, they'd call a zerg any amount of players that outnumbers them or their group. In Cyrodiil, you have tight knit battlegrounds groups that will burst a single player down. (Ratio of ~6:1) But if a group of 12 from the opposing faction teams up to burst them down (Ratio of ~2:1) they'll consider it a zerg.

It's all about perspective.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frostz417 wrote: »
    Somebody who runs in uncoordinated PvDoor groups larger than 8.
    Well, the problem here is that "PVDoor" is a meanglingless buzzword itself, but the rest of your description explains where you are coming from.
    Most zerglings are bad players since most zerg blobs are a bunch of noobs who cannot hold their own in a 1v1 or fight outnumbered. They typically get 1vX’d and complain about said 1vX’er and claim they run super broken sets when in reality they’re just better players.

A true good player can hold their own in a 1v1 and can fight outnumbered and play solo without having to rely on his 23 other group members to fight enemies for them.

I get it now. "Zergling" is a derogatory term used by min-maxers and 1vXers to denigrate the people who play Alliance War the way it is meant to be played - in a large scale group battle.
    Lethal zergling
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that's exactly what it is.
    well said.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the problem here is that "PVDoor" is a meanglingless buzzword itself, but the rest of your description explains where you are coming from.

I get it now. "Zergling" is a derogatory term used by min-maxers and 1vXers to denigrate the people who play Alliance War the way it is meant to be played - in a large scale group battle.

Pretty much, 1vX ers and small group PvPers hate it when they face zergs but I love it. Used to played Warhammer online where the fights were constantly 50+vs50+ prefer the larger fights and to troll the people that hate them.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't make sense, though. An archer's role is to be lightly armored, mobile and fight at range from the back lines, protected by the heavy armor. When faced one on one, they are SUPPOSED to die. They are "glass cannons".

Magic users are similar - heavy ranged damage, light armor, die when engaged by melee (at least, they are supposed to).

Why are people calling them down for fulfilling their role?
    Lethal zergling
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do believe the term Comes from Starcraft from the Zerg Race to be more accurate and it is used to describe large Groups of People that just throw themselves at something and hope their numbers will win while not having tactics or good builds and mostly Arent very experienced/skilled in PvP either.
    Zerg Players in Starcraft used to be able to do the same, just throw a bunch of low Level Units at your enemy early and see if its enough to win or get a significant Advantage.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    After you convert a drone into a spawning pool, you can start spawning zerglings from the hive.

They are a force because of quantity, not quality. A single Protoss Zealot can usually take out a group of them.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    I do believe the term Comes from Starcraft from the Zerg Race to be more accurate and it is used to describe large Groups of People that just throw themselves at something.
    So, people that use the term are confused and think ESO is an RTS? Makes sense, because the same people often don't understand its actually an RPG.

Lethal zergling
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, people that use the term are confused and think ESO is an RTS? Makes sense, because the same people often don't understand its actually an RPG.

No they are not confused it is simply a term that was taken from one game and is used in this and other games to describe what it is supposed to describe in a Shorter manner, I know you love saying stuff like this but if every word only had the one exact meaning it was supposed to have since its Inception we wouldnt have the current english language, or any current language for that matter.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • frostz417
    frostz417
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks for getting upset about something you asked for and blowing it out of proportion.
    No I did not say people who play for score are all zerglings, and when I meant PvDoor I clearly meant those who only take empty keeps and try to avoid fights.
    An example of a zergling is little jimmy who’s a StamDK with 39k health and using bow on both bars spamming snipe. That’s a zergling
    Or billy who’s a 30k health dk who only spams roots and has 3 cc’s on his bar with werewolf on his back bar. That’s a zergling
    Finally another example is bob who’s a magblade that only knows 3 buttons which are cloak, clench, and resto ultímate and also runs 3 proc sets. That’s a zergling.
    But thanks for getting upset at the answer you were seeking.
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    I do believe the term Comes from Starcraft from the Zerg Race to be more accurate and it is used to describe large Groups of People that just throw themselves at something.

No, they are not confused. These words have escaped StarCraft, and outside of StarCraft they've grown broader meaning. Zerg, originally an alien race, is commonly used to describe a large group exploiting strength in numbers. Zergling, originally one kind of Zerg, denotes a member of such group.

latest?cb=20140512025416

EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for getting upset about something you asked for and blowing it out of proportion.
    No I did not say people who play for score are all zerglings, and when I meant PvDoor I clearly meant those who only take empty keeps and try to avoid fights.
    An example of a zergling is little jimmy who’s a StamDK with 39k health and using bow on both bars spamming snipe. That’s a zergling
    Or billy who’s a 30k health dk who only spams roots and has 3 cc’s on his bar with werewolf on his back bar. That’s a zergling
    Finally another example is bob who’s a magblade that only knows 3 buttons which are cloak, clench, and resto ultímate and also runs 3 proc sets. That’s a zergling.

none of those things are a description.
    those are just insults.

and you could say those things about any skill or weapon or playstyle or class in eso.

Edited by Gilvoth on May 29, 2019 4:15PM
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. I just built one of those. I've never used a bow before, looking forward to sniping it up.
    Yes, look at me rage!

Lethal zergling
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LARGE groups of your rival alliances rolling through Cyrodiil's landscape looking to destroy anything & everything. Most would agree a group of 12+ is a "zerg" (arguably). The derogatory use of the term ZERGLING is commonly given because many can survive with sub optimal PvP skill and still achieve their desired results.

However, smaller groups working together have been know to burn down entire large group-zergs, but most die to either the lag they bring or load screens, well..because of the lag they can generate. Too much skill-animation and not enough performance...this is why I mostly enjoy battlegrounds as of late.

Either way enjoy Cyrodiil if you can and don't worry what other people say!
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that the exception to the whole "Zergling" concept would be PVP healers. (I don't run any healers) But they're most likely going to be with groups wherever they go... and I don't think dedicated healers will squirrel off to fight anyone. I'd say they get a pass on the Zergling concept.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's derogatory. It implies that you don't have enough skill to kill one player without your teammates pitching in.

Edited by Dojohoda on May 29, 2019 4:23PM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically if you hear it, you're hearing the bruised ego of an adolescent who's video game prowess is both a sore spot and a point of incredible pride in their lives.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think that the exception to the whole "Zergling" concept would be PVP healers. (I don't run any healers) But they're most likely going to be with groups wherever they go... and I don't think dedicated healers will squirrel off to fight anyone. I'd say they get a pass on the Zergling concept.
    So, there is a role for people in Alliance War that support their side, but aren't going to win 1 on 1 fights.
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    It's derogatory. It means that you don't have enough skill to kill one player without your teammates pitching in.
    How does "skill" enter in to the picture? As mentioned above, a healer isn't going to kill anyone 1 on 1. But they can still be effective, and they can still do a lot of damage. But they need protection.

It's the same with achers and mages. They have good AoE damage and can be very effective in group battles. But again, they need protection because they will probably die 1 on 1 with heavy infantry.
    Lethal zergling
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's derogatory. It implies that you don't have enough skill to kill one player without your teammates pitching in.

@Dojohoda

This isn't necessarily true, either. Just like with a healer (support role)- you do have tanks (support role) who's main focus is to aggro as many players away from keeps/resources in order to let their alliance take points.

Since there is no actual "taunt" skill in PVP- these tanks will literally "troll tank" people into fighting them. You'll see a bunch of PUGs teaming up on a single troll tank... which is actually accomplishing his mission. He's drawn aggro and keeping them occupied.

I find the playstyle pretty boring- but it's effective. Troll tanks can cause uncoordinated people to ball up and make an easy kill for siege. They also can rez their allies without fear of dying. Again, it's pretty boring, though. :|

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, there is a role for people in Alliance War that support their side, but aren't going to win 1 on 1 fights.
    It's derogatory. It means that you don't have enough skill to kill one player without your teammates pitching in.
    How does "skill" enter in to the picture? As mentioned above, a healer isn't going to kill anyone 1 on 1. But they can still be effective, and they can still do a lot of damage. But they need protection.

It's the same with achers and mages. They have good AoE damage and can be very effective in group battles. But again, they need protection because they will probably die 1 on 1 with heavy infantry.

Did you catch the part about it being derogatory? Insults are not always an honest assessment of the situation.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dojohoda

This isn't necessarily true, either. Just like with a healer (support role)- you do have tanks (support role) who's main focus is to aggro as many players away from keeps/resources in order to let their alliance take points.

Since there is no actual "taunt" skill in PVP- these tanks will literally "troll tank" people into fighting them. You'll see a bunch of PUGs teaming up on a single troll tank... which is actually accomplishing his mission. He's drawn aggro and keeping them occupied.

I find the playstyle pretty boring- but it's effective. Troll tanks can cause uncoordinated people to ball up and make an easy kill for siege. They also can rez their allies without fear of dying. Again, it's pretty boring, though. :|

that also includes the taunt "jumping and bunny hopping" used as an aggro and pull players away.
    and also the players that use running away to get a group to chase them.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's a lot of bias in some of these answers. I'm going to try and give as neutral a description as possible for those who honestly just want to know what the term means.

A zerg is a massive amount of attacking players from the same alliance. How large is "massive"? It's subjective, but the general consensus is large enough to where their potential for success is seen as solely the result of numbers, irrespective of the skills of any members of the group (zerg).

A zergling is a single unit/player of a zerg. The term is indeed derogatory. Given that skill level is irrelevant to a zerg win, the assumption is therefore that the skill level of any given zergling is minimal.

**edited to clarify.
    Edited by driosketch on May 29, 2019 5:31PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    large enough to where their victory is seen as solely the result of numbers, irrespective of the skills of any members of the group (zerg)... Given that skill level is irrelevant to a zerg win, the assumption is therefore that the skill level of any given zergling is minimal.
    That sounds like a sour grapes assessment from a losing side. "They sucked, they just had more people".
    Lethal zergling
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    large enough to where their victory is seen as solely the result of numbers, irrespective of the skills of any members of the group (zerg)... Given that skill level is irrelevant to a zerg win, the assumption is therefore that the skill level of any given zergling is minimal.
    That sounds like a sour grapes assessment from a losing side. "They sucked, they just had more people".

It is. Even when I'm muttering it to myself. The truly annoying people will go out of their way to make sure that you share in their anger/self-consolation by whispering you.
This discussion has been closed.