The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dark Flare

blur
blur
✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno (sorry I don't know who to tag here, I need ZOS to see this)

A 0.1 second change to the cast time does not warrant a 37% nerf to the tooltip damage.
If my DF tooltip is 23k (it is currently on live), in Cyrodiil against a target not running a lot of resist, for the most part it's going to hit for 11k. With this nerf, it's now going to hit people for 5-6k. Factor in resists (which you have made possible through the tank meta) and it will be hitting like a wet noodle for around 3k. Not worth slotting unless you are zerging and just adding Major Defile for your zerg.

When playing solo to even land this spell my target needs to be mounted or not paying attention and I need to be stealthed. Otherwise I will get interupted or they will just roll dodge it. It's one of the easiest abilities to counter currently due to the cast time (even with a 0.1 reduction) and telegraph.

If changing the cast time by 0.1 is going to nerf the hell out of it, I would rather keep the current cast time. This change (like others you made over the years) is terrible.
Edited by blur on May 3, 2019 4:38PM
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just turn the skill into stam version of barrage to do defile.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change to DK Wings is a bigger buff to this skill than the damage nerf though.
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make the whole Dark Flare to something else.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS you probably don't read most of the post here any away. But if you read, answer this, what is the equivalent skill to Dizzing Swing for a magicka templar. When I play pvp, the recap is the same One Dizzing Swing after another. The templar is lossing the dark flare, and if you tell me the Dizzing Swing has to have much more damage because is high risk high reward. That is bull ***! Since I have been playing this game melee players all have speed and gap closer and have no problem being in your face ripping you apart with one Dizzing Swing after another.

What is the equivalent high damage skill for the magicka templar?
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark flare is extremely OP in it's current form, it needed to be nerfed. If you're hitting someone with it for 3k you're doing something wrong, I routinely get hit for ~7-8k with it with 26-27k resists. Did you forget that it also applies major defile? I'd like to see that nerfed down to minor defile too, but I guess we can't have everything. You can't have both insanely good damage and apply a major status effect to a group at the same time, that isn't exactly in line with a lot of other abilities.

Snipe was just nerfed down to minor defile along with a damage nerf, but even then it only applied it's defile to a single person. Reverb does weak damage, is only usable in melee range, and applies a major defile. NB used to have it on a cheap ult, but that's no longer the case. Mag Wardens get it on a group heal, I guess. How does Dark Flare fit in? It kind of doesn't, actually. It's the only way to apply a major defile to a group of people while still doing good damage besides the stamina morph of blastbones. If I was a templar, I'd be pretty happy that only the damage got touched, and not the defile.
    Edited by ecru on May 19, 2019 6:30AM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait what? 3K Dizzying Swing? Are you kidding? I'm pretty tanky and Dizzying Swing hits for 4.5K to 5.5K even more than Executioner. It has a stun and a knock back, and players use it as a spammable. I don't die to Dark Flare but I definitely die to players spamming Dizzing Swing. You probably would say, it's easy to avoid - rolldouge, block, run through the character. As a magicka user with very little stamina you can't or you will run out of stamina and then you are ***. Run through with constant snares, you can't. Now you tell me after the new patch, which skill is available to the templar that it's comparable to Dizzing Swing? High Damage skill. Sweeps? It doesn't hit most of the times and when it does it tickles, you are in a channel and a Dizzing Swing player would RIP you apart before you finish the channel. What skill is available to a templar that hits like a truck, stuns, knocks back and spammable.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ecru wrote: »
    Dark flare is extremely OP in it's current form, it needed to be nerfed. If you're hitting someone with it for 3k you're doing something wrong, I routinely get hit for ~7-8k with it with 26-27k resists. Did you forget that it also applies major defile? I'd like to see that nerfed down to minor defile too, but I guess we can't have everything. You can't have both insanely good damage and apply a major status effect to a group at the same time, that isn't exactly in line with a lot of other abilities.

Snipe was just nerfed down to minor defile along with a damage nerf, but even then it only applied it's defile to a single person. Reverb does weak damage, is only usable in melee range, and applies a major defile. NB used to have it on a cheap ult, but that's no longer the case. Mag Wardens get it on a group heal, I guess. How does Dark Flare fit in? It kind of doesn't, actually. It's the only way to apply a major defile to a group of people while still doing good damage besides the stamina morph of blastbones. If I was a templar, I'd be pretty happy that only the damage got touched, and not the defile.

If you’re getting hit by Dark Flare, then your just bad. I’ve never actually said that before, and always hated it when people did. But I’m sorry, it’s true. It’s the easiest spell to avoid. The wind up on the spell is much longer than what the cast time says. I can’t remember the last time someone landed a Dark Flare on me. Partly because no one uses it and partly because it’s easy to avoid it.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

If you’re getting hit by Dark Flare, then your just bad. I’ve never actually said that before, and always hated it when people did. But I’m sorry, it’s true. It’s the easiest spell to avoid. The wind up on the spell is much longer than what the cast time says. I can’t remember the last time someone landed a Dark Flare on me. Partly because no one uses it and partly because it’s easy to avoid it.

There's always someone who makes a post like this about every ability that's avoidable in some way, usually suggesting that the ability in question is actually so useless that no one ever even slots it because it "never" works. Yes, no one uses this ability with aoe major defile on it. Who would want to apply major defile to a group of players? I just can't imagine any situation where that would be useful.
    Edited by ecru on May 19, 2019 9:06AM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There's always someone who makes a post like this about every ability that's avoidable in some way, usually suggesting that the ability in question is actually so useless that no one ever even slots it because it "never" works. Yes, no one uses this ability with aoe major defile on it. Who would want to apply major defile to a group of players? I just can't imagine any situation where that would be useful.

Why don’t you make a poll? A poll to see how many Templars use this spell. And a poll to see how many people actually get hit and/or die from it? Bet you’re the only one.
  • tamrielwinner
    tamrielwinner
    ✭✭✭

in mass pvp, maybe. but there are still better ways to do what you just described than slowing your own movement to a crawl and cease your other capacities to cast an ability for 1s on a group during combat.

flare does pretty good damage. and that's ok, most people still do not use it because it's always going to be clunky.

flare is an uncommon, unorthodox ability. reducing the damage was entirely unwarranted based on the risk required to use when it slows you and opens you up to being interrupted, the damage being at the cost of the time it takes to cast, and the ease of avoidance. it's the easiest ability in cyrodiil to avoid. you have to cast it from 30m away to successfully get it off and it lobs a bright flaming football into the sky onto its target. it cannot be used up close, like the majority of combat a templar ends up seeing.

so anyway, this ability will be less used than it already has been in cyrodiil after this change. it would be nice if they would leave some of the more unique abilities in the game instead of nerfing so much stuff or making it all "in line."
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone will still be a magicka templar next patch? :D
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    35% for .1 second was a little too much. It's hard enough getting the skill to land in PVP because of the lag. 10% nerf *maybe* but even that doesn't seem necessary.
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF I ever saw a DF in my death recap, it was never higher than 5k anyways on live. So a 2k DF in pvp with a .1s reduction in cast time as a tradeoff is pathetic. ZOS sucks at their own game.
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havent seen a DF in my death recap since early launch. Now thanks to these changes I never will. Thank you ZOS for protecting me.

/sarcasm

I don't play a DF using templar but I'll agree this is a mega nerf. An ability ruining nerf. No one will slot this now. What made them come up with -37%?
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a horrible nerf and it's kind of scary to think these people are in charge of class changes.

Probably the same geniuses who removed major mending from templars and left it on DKs, and who are also now removing major protection from templars.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Who would have guessed you weren't from your description of Dark Flare?
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you forgot to add what was wrong with my description of dark flare in your post. I guess you're kind of right, since I didn't include the empower. Oops.

edit: You know, I'm not sure if any of you actually realize that the ability's actual cast time was reduced by 23%, not 9% as the new cast time would suggest. If you don't know how I arrived at that number, please refer to the 5.0.0 patch notes! Currently on the live servers there is about 1350ms in between each 1.1s cast of Dark Flare. It should be a bit over 1000ms on PTS.
    Edited by ecru on May 19, 2019 7:01PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Looks like you forgot to add what was wrong with my description of dark flare in your post. I guess you're kind of right, since I didn't include the empower. Oops.

edit: You know, I'm not sure if any of you actually realize that the ability's actual cast time was reduced by 23%, not 9% as the new cast time would suggest. If you don't know how I arrived at that number, please refer to the 5.0.0 patch notes! Currently on the live servers there is about 1350ms in between each 1.1s cast of Dark Flare. It should be a bit over 1000ms on PTS.

Please roll a Templar and see if you can get that first Dark Flare off according to the tooltip cast time. Templars on pts have reported no change in speed from live. But I’m not talking about the “supposedly” reduced time. Just try the very first cast and enjoy how long it really takes.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please roll a Templar and see if you can get that first Dark Flare off according to the tooltip cast time. Templars on pts have reported no change in speed from live. But I’m not talking about the “supposedly” reduced time. Just try the very first cast and enjoy how long it really takes.

He's just salty because it's a zergling spell and either got zerged with it or was in a similar glory Zerg but got ganked with it lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • JWillCHS
    JWillCHS
    ✭✭✭

I don't use any type of PvP alerts that warn you of the attack, and still it can be dodged. And as a magicka Templar myself this is one ability where you can purge the debuff, heal-up, and just wail on the person using Dark Flare.

• Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of cyro run miats that warns you off it. And those wannabe solo stam wardens are just clowns dodging it 24/7. I see one i spam it on them and watch them roll 25 times like they are in a 1v5.
    Edited by Mr_Nobody on May 19, 2019 10:37PM
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »
    Most of cyro run miats that warns you off it. And those wannabe solo stam wardens are just clowns dodging it 24/7. I see one i spam it on them and watch them roll 25 times like they are in a 1v5.

It's funny because force pulse out damages it lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I literally just tested it on PTS and live a few hours ago. There is a 300ms difference in cast times between live and PTS. Why don't you test it yourself before making claims like this?

Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I literally just tested it on PTS and live a few hours ago. There is a 300ms difference in cast times between live and PTS. Why don't you test it yourself before making claims like this?
    Debunked.
    d88fsijbvgp5.jpg
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dizzying swing can't be interrupted.

I personally think the best comparison is to Snipe, which had a much smaller damage reduction, only 25%. ZOS is again showing it's stam favoritism by nerfing Snipe only 25% but Dark Flare by 37%, for the same cast time reduction.
  • Druid40
    Druid40
    ✭✭✭✭

I personally think the best comparison is to Snipe, which had a much smaller damage reduction, only 25%. ZOS is again showing it's stam favoritism by nerfing Snipe only 25% but Dark Flare by 37%, for the same cast time reduction.

Is Dark Flare still a Major Defile with splash damage ability?
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Debunked.
    d88fsijbvgp5.jpg

I don't know why you would deliberately go onto pts and do something wrong to prove a point, but whatever.

iBdkO1s.jpg

Here you go, lol.. 11 dark flares in 12 seconds on PTS, average of under 1100ms in between. Why do I have to do this? Did you think I didn't have a templar and didn't actually test it? I have a magplar, I just don't play her very often.

"Debunked."
    Edited by ecru on May 20, 2019 8:22AM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Debunked.
    d88fsijbvgp5.jpg

I don't know why you would deliberately go onto pts and do something wrong to prove a point, but whatever.

iBdkO1s.jpg

Here you go, lol.. 11 dark flares in 12 seconds on PTS, average of under 1100ms in between. Why do I have to do this? Did you think I didn't have a templar and didn't actually test it? I have a magplar, I just don't play her very often.

"Debunked."

I don;t know why you do either. What you claim either is an exaggeration or is downright wrong.

One minute of Dark Flare spamming on Elsewyr Live:

3YTFcEf.png

34 hits. It's the same amount since the beginning of the game.

• Druid40
    Druid40
    ✭✭✭✭

34 hits. It's the same amount since the beginning of the game.

Unreliable. You are light attack weaving. Weaving is not spamming Dark Flare.
    Edited by Druid40 on May 20, 2019 3:36PM
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lethal Arrow is the better comparison. But you did not really look at those skills well.

Dark Flare already had a higher base damage(1421>1236) before scaling, AOE Major Defile, and Empower.

Lethal Arrow had a longer range, single target Major Defile, and guaranteed Poison Status effect.

Lethal Arrow lost Major Defile to Minor Defile, and 25% damage. Dark Flare lost 37%.

They are relatively balanced. I don't think ZOS accounted well for why Snipe is used more than Dark Flare, which is tied to range and synergy with stealth/cloak. Neither skill performs competitively outside of Xv1.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..