The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dear dungeoneers

• WolfingHour
    WolfingHour
    ✭✭✭✭
    When someone says "Hello" to you it's common courtesy to say "Hello" back, even if it is on the internet. Period.

Y'all are just bending over backwards to justify not following the most basic of tenants of living life in human society.

You are being rude. If you don't like it, though break, change the way you act.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    I usually don't greet in PuGs either. Don't take it personal, it's nothing against you, I just find it unnecessary. What's polite about that if nobody really needs it or cares that much anyway? Get in, do your job, get out, everyone is happy, or could be at least, greeted or not.

There are people on the other side of the Internet. People you're relying on to get your quick run. You say "hi" or "excuse me" or "please" in real life as well, right? Then again, maybe you don't.

For the record: I hate this running. If you want to do the quest, look for chests or whatever, sure, go ahead. I also answer questions or generally react when talked to, but I don't see why I'm am required to type two stupid letters at the start and end just to be "polite". For example you can say "hi" and then start running, pull mobs together and let the rest of your group deal with them while you dash ahead. That's impolite in my books, but has nothing to do with greeting or not. You can still act inconsiderate while adhering to formalities like hello and thank you.

Pro tip: try saying "Hi everyone. Could you take it easy please, as I don't like facerolling dungeons and skipping content?" sometime. You'll be surprised how many groups will be happy to oblige. I cannot for the life of me see how you're going to solve your problem by being rude.
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's usually about the time you finish saying hi that i've pulled the entire dungeon including the last boss and am running back to the front. Whoops, you needed the quest? Oopsie
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    I always keep my "Hello" emote in my quick slot. It always pays to be polite.

^This.
    Its common courtesy.
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • ShellaSunshine
    ShellaSunshine
    ✭✭✭
    There's no reason for it and a lot of players have alts where they choose to do pledges on all of them. I am not one of them but I understand if people do not greet the other people because they just want to get the pledge done and move on.

In my experience in running PUG dungeons, usually the person who greets the whole group first, is usually the one who doesn't know the dungeon mechs or have never done that dungeon and decided to do it on veteran.

^^^They are usually the first ones to die as well...

Also, do not yell at the healer if you die to a one shot mechanic. Not even the best healer in the entire game can save a player from a one shot mechanic. It's called a one shot for a reason...

I would rather players ask if there are any specials mechs they need to know than simply saying, "hey."
  • Waynerx8
    Waynerx8
    ✭✭✭✭
    Facefister wrote: »
    I don't even fart at your direction if you're below CP1000.

And what the fu?k does cp1000 mean ? nothing, lower cp's out dps sad little kids like you, I hope your a kid, if not do some growing up, bet you even giggle when you fart too, tw?t.
  • Riejael
    Riejael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be honest, but such messages are simply going to be missed. I use voice comms as my primary means of communication, and its very likely we're not going to be in the same channel. Couple this with the fact that I keep my chat box smaller to make room for other UI elements, and thus can't really read it very well.

Just take heart in the fact that if you're geared (proper gear, I don't really care about quality) and specced for your role, dodge/avoid bad stuff at least half the time. Then you are appreciated.

If you're looking to chat, well.. I can't help with that unless you join the same discord as I am in. I don't like using text unless I'm RPIng, and I don't RP in ESO.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I understand if people do not greet the other people because they just want to get the pledge done and move on.

This is not @ you per se, but people in this thread are acting like it takes five minutes to type "hi" back. We're playing a video game here; it's not like we don't have the time to take 5 seconds to reply to someone.

I too am over 30... I'd love to see the average age of people wholeheartedly agreeing with the OP and those acting like it's some massive inconvenience to show common courtesy.

• Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience in running PUG dungeons, usually the person who greets the whole group first, is usually the one who doesn't know the dungeon mechs or have never done that dungeon and decided to do it on veteran.

I'm usually the first to greet the others.

OGBgUAy.gif
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started doing dungeons about 3 years ago around when vet levels was still a thing
    seeing all the elitism on forums/in game at the time when i did que up i did 1 simple thing
    Hid the chat box

i don't do that any more tho
  • MiyukiShiba
    MiyukiShiba
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped to say hi to people long time ago meanwhile. No one deserves my greetings, especially those who thinks doing dungeons is kind of job instead of fun playing time. Too much toxicity even to try to be friendly.

PC/EU @MiyukiShiba
    My main is a beautiful Khajiit Magblade

My Wishlist 2023
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I greet at the beginning and say tyfg at end. That said, when I first arrive in the dungeon with a pug it is a very busy few seconds as I quickly try to set my voice channel to group (/p), say hi, open the group box to quickly peek at who is who in the group, then try to get a read on how fast the group is going to charge into action. I only pug on my healer so intentionally want to be in the back of the group and stay with the main portion of the group if someone runs ahead. If I see someone talking with an NPC, I glean they are doing the quest and try to stay with them.

As a healer, I adapt to the speed of the group but never push it to go faster. And finally, I don't quickly leave the dungeon when it is done in case someone needs more time. I view healing as a support role and take it pretty seriously.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I greet at the beginning and say tyfg at end. That said, when I first arrive in the dungeon with a pug it is a very busy few seconds as I quickly try to set my voice channel to group (/p), say hi, open the group box to quickly peek at who is who in the group, then try to get a read on how fast the group is going to charge into action. I only pug on my healer so intentionally want to be in the back of the group and stay with the main portion of the group if someone runs ahead. If I see someone talking with an NPC, I glean they are doing the quest and try to stay with them.

As a healer, I adapt to the speed of the group but never push it to go faster. And finally, I don't quickly leave the dungeon when it is done in case someone needs more time. I view healing as a support role and take it pretty seriously.

Exactly this.

Some npcs are invisible if you aren’t on the quest though. I think some people are afraid they’ll be kicked if they ask for quest.

#FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hate it when people don't talk in dungeons too, half the reason I play an mmo is for human interaction, I really enjoy it when a team shares some banter when we are cruising through dungeons.

I recently had a friend join the game, I was telling him how great the game is, and how nice the community is, anyway I introduced him to the dungeon finder, thought I'd do the first few dungeons with him to show him the ropes. EVERY dungeon we entered I said Hello, he said hi and no one spoke a single word. Was pretty annoying tbh after me telling him how great the eso players are. Most of the time people chat back, but for whatever reason for those dungeons I had my friend with me, everyone was suddenly a mute.

Possible I got a bunch of non English speakers, or maybe they were just plain rude. *shrugs*
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PVEers generally don't say anything, OR they will just kick you for simply saying Hi, or if you die once in the first boss fight. They tend to be on discord with each other, which is why I don't understand 3-man queuing when they can easily get a 4th in their discord.
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greet or not greet, that says ALOT about your own personal manners. So don't be offended if someone's an unpolite jerk, or if you get a bunch of them on your team. It shows what kind of person they are, don't be the same :wink:
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the plus side, at least they're not being rude. They may not say Hi, but at least they don't get weird.

Apparently a PUG dungeon isn't a social environment? Hmm...
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since when are randoms obligated to greet you back?

• Riejael
    Riejael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »
    On the plus side, at least they're not being rude. They may not say Hi, but at least they don't get weird.

Apparently a PUG dungeon isn't a social environment? Hmm...

In an action MMO, its tough for it to be. I highly recommend trying to play on one of the newer Everquest Progression servers if even only for the one month you're subbed (progression requires a sub to play). You get to see the benefits of a slowed down combat system in regards to groups being social.

Its an entirely different experience when you have room to chat with people, even while mid in combat. In fact its not uncommon for people to take quick bio afk breaks DURING combat. Groups are six-man so being one person down, even if its the tank or healer doesn't mean things have to stop, just more careful.
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When someone says "Hello" to you it's common courtesy to say "Hello" back, even if it is on the internet. Period.

Y'all are just bending over backwards to justify not following the most basic of tenants of living life in human society.

You are being rude. If you don't like it, though break, change the way you act.

What?

10 seconds after the end of the dungeon i probably forget that you even exist, what is the point of saying hello?

Just do the instance, if someone need turn in quest stay, then go.
  • Taloros
    Taloros
    ✭✭✭✭
    A simple "Hi!" shouldn't be too much for anyone.

I usually try to get in a little joke* or ask if anybody needs boss explanaitions in the less commonly visited dungeons, e. g. Falkreath Hold.

*Spindleclutch: "Oh great, a dungeon! So excited! I just hope there're no spiders in here."
    Falkreath Hold: "Damn, there IS a secret cow level! I though that was just a legend!"
    City of Ash I: "So... anybody smoked in bed or what?"

And so on. Don't have a joke for every dungeon yet, though. Some are just... joke-resistant.
    Edited by Taloros on April 30, 2019 6:18PM
  • tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Extroverts always forcing their outgoing ways on people. :/ If the extent of your potential interaction is a power grab "Hi" and that's it, why bother. If you actually want to say you need certain gear, or its your first time, or you're questing, I'm more than happy to engage.

• p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i'm an Xbox player who occasionally derps around on PC, and I have no idea how to use the stupid (pretty non-intuitive)chat feature. If someone says "Hi/hello", I will jump up and down and/or spin around to acknowledge them, but I can't respond back. It's nothing personal, just my own ignorance.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually just growl.

That works.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rather have the group stay together and focus on the dungeon than exchanging pleasantries. Plenty of time for that at the end when we divvy up the gear.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather have the group stay together and focus on the dungeon than exchanging pleasantries. Plenty of time for that at the end when we divvy up the gear.

So it has nothing to do with fun or socializing. It's all about the loot.

Sounds like my visits to Whole Foods.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It can be both. Most vet PUGs are for pledges that people just want to roll through and move on. And in those, the socializing is at the end. If I was in a PUG for someone farming, or running a dungeon with guildies, that's different.

But if forced to choose, I'd rather have a PUG group that wants to motor through than spend time in text chat. I've been in those. Its usually 2-3 people pulling mobs while someone is at the beginning typing "LF ebon body."
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It can be both. Most vet PUGs are for pledges that people just want to roll through and move on. And in those, the socializing is at the end. If I was in a PUG for someone farming, or running a dungeon with guildies, that's different.

But if forced to choose, I'd rather have a PUG group that wants to motor through than spend time in text chat. I've been in those. Its usually 2-3 people pulling mobs while someone is at the beginning typing "LF ebon body."

I wonder though.

If it's just about "motoring through", then what's the point of PUG. Why not just go with some guildies or people you already know?

Is the whole game just about "motoring through" or is it about the experience, the adventuring, dialogue, socializing, etc.

This is why I almost always end up solo'ing. I want to take my time and experience the game, not just run through and collect the loot that I have no use for anyway.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's no reason for it and a lot of players have alts where they choose to do pledges on all of them. I am not one of them but I understand if people do not greet the other people because they just want to get the pledge done and move on.

^^^They are usually the first ones to die as well...

Also, do not yell at the healer if you die to a one shot mechanic. Not even the best healer in the entire game can save a player from a one shot mechanic. It's called a one shot for a reason...

I would rather players ask if there are any specials mechs they need to know than simply saying, "hey."

I think you are making assumptions that are not true. Common courtesy and skill level have no relationship whatsoever. I've known some awesome players that are super friendly, and then I've known other players who think they are good, but not really, and are just jerks.

• KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tonemd wrote: »
    Extroverts always forcing their outgoing ways on people. :/ If the extent of your potential interaction is a power grab "Hi" and that's it, why bother. If you actually want to say you need certain gear, or its your first time, or you're questing, I'm more than happy to engage.

I'm extremely anti-social, but that doesn't prevent me from abiding to social "rules". The very few times I partake into group content in ESO (be it a dungeon or a World Boss) I use the skills my parents worked so hard to teach me - greeting the group, thanking them for taking me along and apologizing for any mistake/mess I made during the fight(s).