The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagSorc PVP Builds?

• DKMaestro
    DKMaestro
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Master staff has been staple since the Frag nerf in CwC. With the brief exception of Summerset.
    It turns Reach into an acceptable spammable, saving you that precious, precious skill slot. Magsorcs are extremely starved for slots.
    Reach itself offers a CC while adding damage. It's the bandaid substitute for old Frags. The Master staff adds so much damage to this one skill that no other set bonus would give you more bang in your total burst. That's why people don't just run Reach with a Willpower staff.

Rune Cage is completely useless these days. Highly telegraphed and dodgable. Also no damage to help burst. The real nail in the coffin is the increased delay, though. The old, awesome Meteor -> Rune Cage combo to force an unblocked Meteor hit doesn't work anymore. I tested it and confirmed it with other knowledgable sorc players.

Pet build is simple, it is the very same build you've been using all the time. Just sacrifice the nerfed Healing Ward and Fury for the Twilight Matriarch.
    That solves the burst heal issue that came with Healing Ward nerf.
    And since they buffed pets to get all your damage boni, the Twilight's zap hits almost as hard as an execute. And it's more reliable than the twice-dodgable Fury! That execute will get re-examined next patch, however.
    Lastly, the pet offers high pressure and protection via LoS shenanigans, exactly what sorcs needed. Plus the class passives. It can die if there are too many opponents, leaving you very vulnerable. But with the increased resistances sorcs run these days, it takes quite a beating. Don't blame the sorc players for abusing that, we wanted a mobile glass cannon. Not our fault the community couldn't deal with high-powered but telegraphed sorc combos! You reap what you sow...

Gear is largely unchanged, too. Just gotta fit Necropotence in there. Most drop the hybrid sustain sets like Shacklebreaker and get the stamina from trifood, triglyphs and Altmer/Dunmer racials. Consider protective jewelry, but it's not mandatory. Sharpened or Infused main hand, shock enchant. Infused is more damage overall, but only if light attacks actually hit. Sharpened is a safer bet with slightly lower payoff. Monster set to your liking, backbar set Lich for Altmer/Dunmer, Spell Strategist for Breton.

Pet builds will get a bit more vulnerable next patch, but it looks like they'll remain strong and definitely meta for magsorcs. So don't worry golding out gear, it'll be worth it unless we see drastic changes during the last PTS weeks.

I agree on most, but Spell Strategist is so hard to actually take advantage of in no-cp BGs. Your target ends up being lost in the crowd of pets and other players, so the buff is very often useless.
    I quite prefer Molag Kena for almost as much pressure, at a higher magicka cost. You cant spam quite as many abilities, but your light/heavy attacks hit hard as well.
    Necropotense for sure is needed and with Molag, I think that Bright Throat makes sense for the increased sustain, or simply just run Spinner's - good all around damage increase and definitely a good option always - especially no-cp.
    Old man playing. Have a life, a job and only one character, which is grumpy (all the time)
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently do not run the Master Staff. I go with 5 Spinners, 5 Bright Throat, and then either Chudan, Pirate, Bloodspawn or, if I want to be a glass cannon, Slimecraw. I don't run pet, so I find the max mag and recovery from Spinners and Bright Throat are useful, plus the pen is great. You can still get nearly 2.5K spell damage, 40K mag, 2.5-3K recovery and over 20K health in cyro with 15K stam. It all works pretty well together. And depending on the monster set you use, your defenses are still decent.

I have found that putting streak on the front bar for a stun, and having a shield on the front bar, has been useful.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m trying a mag sorc for the first time.

I’m not too keen on using a pet: can anyone suggest a high mag build that is not too squishy?
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on May 5, 2019 10:46AM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on May 5, 2019 4:25PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rhaegar why grothdarr? Not a bad set, just it's close range and you're ranged. Unless there is a specific reason for it that's the only thing I'd be Keen on changing.

Set choices etc look good, stats look good, the last thing would be to make sure it's tailored to your style.

You said you're new to sorc so that'll probably take sometime figuring out your fav style.

I've ran glass cannon, Unkillable tank, pet, marathon man, and healer BG Sorcs. All are fun, all are very different.

Personally my favorite thus far is the run the f away style in BGs - it's a smaller area so it's not really running away, just repositioning like crazy :wink:
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for having looked into it Waffennacht!! What offensive monster set would you use? ....if any...

Would you ever use 1h and shield?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    Thanks for having looked into it Waffennacht!! What offensive monster set would you use? ....if any...

Would you ever use 1h and shield?

Depending on where and what you're going for makes a big impact. But that being said, I'll just list my personal favs for BGs:

Maw of the inferno - health bonus is nice, the Daedra provides a LoS object, and deals decent damage independently
    Engine Guardian - sustain is nice, but the LoS object is probably it's most effective use
    Bloodspawn - ult gen and resistance is huge, Stam Regen helps with CC break
    Zaan - not ranged at all, but makes you deadly when you yourself are in a vulnerable situation (Zaan can force someone to break off their offensive)
    Skoria - when paired with masters staff and double dot poisons, gives reliable bursty damage

No particular order, but those are what come to mind (outside of mix and match)

Edit: and yes I have used SnB. That's usually for reverb and the added defense
    Edited by Waffennacht on May 5, 2019 6:55PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DKMaestro wrote: »
    Master staff has been staple since the Frag nerf in CwC. With the brief exception of Summerset.
    It turns Reach into an acceptable spammable, saving you that precious, precious skill slot. Magsorcs are extremely starved for slots.
    Reach itself offers a CC while adding damage. It's the bandaid substitute for old Frags. The Master staff adds so much damage to this one skill that no other set bonus would give you more bang in your total burst. That's why people don't just run Reach with a Willpower staff.

Rune Cage is completely useless these days. Highly telegraphed and dodgable. Also no damage to help burst. The real nail in the coffin is the increased delay, though. The old, awesome Meteor -> Rune Cage combo to force an unblocked Meteor hit doesn't work anymore. I tested it and confirmed it with other knowledgable sorc players.

Pet build is simple, it is the very same build you've been using all the time. Just sacrifice the nerfed Healing Ward and Fury for the Twilight Matriarch.
    That solves the burst heal issue that came with Healing Ward nerf.
    And since they buffed pets to get all your damage boni, the Twilight's zap hits almost as hard as an execute. And it's more reliable than the twice-dodgable Fury! That execute will get re-examined next patch, however.
    Lastly, the pet offers high pressure and protection via LoS shenanigans, exactly what sorcs needed. Plus the class passives. It can die if there are too many opponents, leaving you very vulnerable. But with the increased resistances sorcs run these days, it takes quite a beating. Don't blame the sorc players for abusing that, we wanted a mobile glass cannon. Not our fault the community couldn't deal with high-powered but telegraphed sorc combos! You reap what you sow...

Gear is largely unchanged, too. Just gotta fit Necropotence in there. Most drop the hybrid sustain sets like Shacklebreaker and get the stamina from trifood, triglyphs and Altmer/Dunmer racials. Consider protective jewelry, but it's not mandatory. Sharpened or Infused main hand, shock enchant. Infused is more damage overall, but only if light attacks actually hit. Sharpened is a safer bet with slightly lower payoff. Monster set to your liking, backbar set Lich for Altmer/Dunmer, Spell Strategist for Breton.

Pet builds will get a bit more vulnerable next patch, but it looks like they'll remain strong and definitely meta for magsorcs. So don't worry golding out gear, it'll be worth it unless we see drastic changes during the last PTS weeks.

I agree on most, but Spell Strategist is so hard to actually take advantage of in no-cp BGs. Your target ends up being lost in the crowd of pets and other players, so the buff is very often useless.
    I quite prefer Molag Kena for almost as much pressure, at a higher magicka cost. You cant spam quite as many abilities, but your light/heavy attacks hit hard as well.
    Necropotense for sure is needed and with Molag, I think that Bright Throat makes sense for the increased sustain, or simply just run Spinner's - good all around damage increase and definitely a good option always - especially no-cp.

Oh, I was talking primarily CP. And even there, I agree, Spell Strategist is iffy. Many people swear by it, though, so I mentioned it. It can definitely shine in smaller fights.
    Molag Kena is actually my favorite monster set (not actually using it) and to me how monster sets should be designed: specialization. With Kena, you gain damage, but at a cost. Compare that to all the ill-designed proc sets, ugh! Just a shame Kena can't be procced with weaving anymore.
  • Spizzie
    Spizzie
    ✭✭✭
    Bright Throat + Spinners + Chudan lets you run destro reach as your stun and crushing shock or elemental weapon as your spammable. You can also put the Blackrose resto staff on your backbar to make dark conversion more bursty because there's no value to having the pen bonus from spinners on your resto bar.
  • HEBREWHAMMERRR
    HEBREWHAMMERRR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pzschrek wrote: »
    Since they killed fury and ward everyone went pet, because thank god we aren't magblades and still have options.

I run Bright Throat and Necro and tristat everything. Chudan for the helm, because it saves a bar slot and even with it i need 3 more bar slots than I have to get what other classes get. You can use streak as your stun actually once you get used to it. With some practice you can do a quick spin to almost quarantee a frag lands, dont know about meteor though, i use atro.

Proc BTB with spring loaded infusion for the extra stam. With 20 points in health you can get 30k health, 48k mag, 16+k stam, almost 2k regen and about 2.4k spell damage with glyph, you have almost a 14k ward and hit like a truck with matriarch heals that crit for like 12k with no points in healing stuff.

There's a reason why people hate petsorcs. And that pet gives you options, but its very vulnerable outnumbered and wil lbe even worse next patch. But the class is barely viable without em now, regrettably.

Your defense is still shields, and your pet scales off max mag and doesn't give a *** about spell damage, thats why I think max mag is still the way to go on sorcs.

I'll be giving master destro another look though, i literally switched to pulse bk of DKs. the only thing i have they can reflect is frags and if youre good you can often figure out a way to sneak one in under the wings from time to time.

This guy nailed it. Bright throat + necro + chudan. Spring loaded infused to supplement your stam pool. I use pulse and I don’t find hardly and class that gives me that hard of a time. I’m saving transmutes and will be making my necro jewelry all protective and switching chudan for slimecraw this week though.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they killed fury and ward everyone went pet, because thank god we aren't magblades and still have options.

I run Bright Throat and Necro and tristat everything. Chudan for the helm, because it saves a bar slot and even with it i need 3 more bar slots than I have to get what other classes get. You can use streak as your stun actually once you get used to it. With some practice you can do a quick spin to almost quarantee a frag lands, dont know about meteor though, i use atro.

Proc BTB with spring loaded infusion for the extra stam. With 20 points in health you can get 30k health, 48k mag, 16+k stam, almost 2k regen and about 2.4k spell damage with glyph, you have almost a 14k ward and hit like a truck with matriarch heals that crit for like 12k with no points in healing stuff.

There's a reason why people hate petsorcs. And that pet gives you options, but its very vulnerable outnumbered and wil lbe even worse next patch. But the class is barely viable without em now, regrettably.

Your defense is still shields, and your pet scales off max mag and doesn't give a *** about spell damage, thats why I think max mag is still the way to go on sorcs.

I'll be giving master destro another look though, i literally switched to pulse bk of DKs. the only thing i have they can reflect is frags and if youre good you can often figure out a way to sneak one in under the wings from time to time.

This guy nailed it. Bright throat + necro + chudan. Spring loaded infused to supplement your stam pool. I use pulse and I don’t find hardly and class that gives me that hard of a time. I’m saving transmutes and will be making my necro jewelry all protective and switching chudan for slimecraw this week though.

Tbf I don't see that performing well at all in BGs.

No major expedition, relying on streak most certainly won't get away from Gap closers - especially next update when gap closers will be flavor of the month.

I can see sustain only via heavy and/or conversion - meaning in BGs kiting would be absolutely necessary and absolutely difficult with 0 speed buffs.

You're gonna lose 5k Stam in no CP - bringing that pool to 11k Stam - which is enough to CC break twice IF there's no Stam cost poison on you. (You probably will in BGs)

The Stam Regen is solid, too bad so few will have access to the sets that get you there (myself included)

As much as I like Necro bright - I see it crumpling under the sustained pressure of BGs
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You're leaving a lot on the table without a Master staff. Bright-Throat can't make up for that additional 5k damage in your burst.

Spring-Loaded is also an inferior version of solid tristat food. Shackle with bistat food and regen jewelry glyphs or tristat armor glyphs has higher stat density. Shackle also gives more stats than Bright-Throat.

The Necrothroat combo is neat, but its drawbacks prevent it from being the end-to-all setup.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Taylor_MB posted a great no-CP build featuring Necro and Bright Throat a few months ago: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/450663/no-cp-dd-magsorc-11-6k-ward-major-defile-oncoming-storm-build-gameplay-murkmire

IMO for those who don't have an access to Master's destro this is probably one of the best builds they can run. Shackle+tri stat food are viable too but that leaves me with too much max stam for my taste at the cost of max mag.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    @Taylor_MB posted a great no-CP build featuring Necro and Bright Throat a few months ago: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/450663/no-cp-dd-magsorc-11-6k-ward-major-defile-oncoming-storm-build-gameplay-murkmire

IMO for those who don't have an access to Master's destro this is probably one of the best builds they can run. Shackle+tri stat food are viable too but that leaves me with too much max stam for my taste at the cost of max mag.

The build is a bit dated, most players have dropped Fury. On the other hand, it might make a comeback with Elsweyr. But for now, bad.
    I also disagree with his Bound Aegis > all sentiment. It's on one bar only, his defensive bar, so doesn't contribute to offense. Boundless Storm is also mobility, very important. And sets like Zaan, Shadowrend or Bloodspawn are gamechangers.
    But it's certainly a nice build. Btw, try Shackle with blue bistat food if you're missing max mag! Should you feel like you're lacking magicka or stamina sustain, swap a jewelry enchant for a regen glyph. Resource is more important than spellpower, and as there are no max mag jewelry glyphs, you're actually tapping into unused stat potential there!
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The build is a bit dated, most players have dropped Fury. On the other hand, it might make a comeback with Elsweyr. But for now, bad.
    I also disagree with his Bound Aegis > all sentiment. It's on one bar only, his defensive bar, so doesn't contribute to offense. Boundless Storm is also mobility, very important. And sets like Zaan, Shadowrend or Bloodspawn are gamechangers.
    But it's certainly a nice build. Btw, try Shackle with blue bistat food if you're missing max mag! Should you feel like you're lacking magicka or stamina sustain, swap a jewelry enchant for a regen glyph. Resource is more important than spellpower, and as there are no max mag jewelry glyphs, you're actually tapping into unused stat potential there!
    Yeah I wouldn't advise ppl to run bound aegies backbar. In any case I'm currently running master's inferno/necro/lich like most people xD
  • mikegundy
    mikegundy
    ✭✭✭
    Go ahead and delete your magsorc
    Gundysorc - AR50

GM of Hysteria
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikegundy wrote: »
    Go ahead and delete your magsorc

Why? I like it.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah I wouldn't advise ppl to run bound aegies backbar. In any case I'm currently running master's inferno/necro/lich like most people xD

C'x
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭

Tbf I don't see that performing well at all in BGs.

No major expedition, relying on streak most certainly won't get away from Gap closers - especially next update when gap closers will be flavor of the month.

I can see sustain only via heavy and/or conversion - meaning in BGs kiting would be absolutely necessary and absolutely difficult with 0 speed buffs.

As much as I like Necro bright - I see it crumpling under the sustained pressure of BGs

Quite possible, I wouldn't know. I primarily play CP Open world. I miss the major exp a bit but I've learned to work around it. There's just no bar space for *** anything.
    You're leaving a lot on the table without a Master staff.

You have a point, but might as well just walk past DKs anyway with that. With the wing change next time around, I could definitely see myself going back to master, as in a vacuum it remains the best choice.

I do weird staff stuff though, like run a befoul glyph charged staff just for the defile. It sounds ridiculous, but I also have a sharp shock glyph one which should be so much stronger on paper so I keep trying it again, but keep getting better actual real-life outcomes in small scale or duels on the disease...I really do seem to negate more healing with it than the increase in damage on the sharp shock.

I also did end up ditching the tri drink eventually and going back to witchmothers. If you move your stats around a bit and make your jewelry triune, you can switch two glyphs to spell damage while losing maybe 1.5k stam and hit waaaaaay harder.
    “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (Mag) DKs were something I usually avoided if given the luxury to be able to do so. Not on flags, in other words. It's just a waste of time going against them as a vamp with projectile attacks. Sure, I could mitigate by dropping vamp stage and using Force Pulse, but they would still have an advantage and I would be weaker against other classes. That's why I'm glad Wings are being reworked. Hard counters are just bad for gameplay.

Defile enchant, so to say, is good. It's just less useful against shield users and purge bots. Shock is very consistent, a big plus.

Regarding food and enchants and traits and so on... See, these days, we have options. Many options. Used to be different. But with all the stat sources available to us, I would recommend looking at stat density. Do what ZOS do and look how many set pieces worth of stats your setups provide. It's why I praise Shacklebreaker so much, few sets reach its stats worth seven set pieces. Something like liquid tristat food I try to avoid, as it's just inferior to the solid version. That's why I'm sceptic about Bright-Throat. Subject to change with next patch'es food changes.
  • MassiveFumes
    MassiveFumes
    ✭✭
    What yall bars look like when running the twilight matriach front and back?
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Everything's unchanged except the nerfed Healing Ward and unreliable Fury get scrapped.
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭

Everything's unchanged except the nerfed Healing Ward and unreliable Fury get scrapped.

Concur exactly with Otto on the bars XD

I was almost relieved when they nerfed that paijic skill, for a second I was sweating hard on what to drop to run it. Still am a bit, it’s still good.

“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Concur exactly with Otto on the bars XD

I was almost relieved when they nerfed that paijic skill, for a second I was sweating hard on what to drop to run it. Still am a bit, it’s still good.

Boundless, obviously. Which would make Chudan or Bloodspawn mandatory. Maybe Pirate Skeleton or Shadowrend would work, too. So, trade an offensive monster set for Minor Force and snare immunity. I am not sure if that's a good trade, even with four seconds snare immunity. Grace already mitigates snares, and Boundless brings a lot of utility. Race is more beneficial to formerly vampirism-bound classes like DK and Temp, I think.
  • SacredEarth
    SacredEarth
    ✭✭
    Has anyone thought of changing out Lich for Warlock?

"OLD
    5 – When you fall below 33% Magicka, restore 9000 Magicka. This effect can occur once every 1 minute.
    NEW
    5 – When you fall below 25% Magicka, restore 11350 Magicka. This effect can occur once every 45 seconds."
  • SacredEarth
    SacredEarth
    ✭✭
    @Rhaegar why grothdarr? Not a bad set, just it's close range and you're ranged. Unless there is a specific reason for it that's the only thing I'd be Keen on changing.

Set choices etc look good, stats look good, the last thing would be to make sure it's tailored to your style.

You said you're new to sorc so that'll probably take sometime figuring out your fav style.

I've ran glass cannon, Unkillable tank, pet, marathon man, and healer BG Sorcs. All are fun, all are very different.

Personally my favorite thus far is the run the f away style in BGs - it's a smaller area so it's not really running away, just repositioning like crazy :wink:

With this wealth of knowledge what is your preffered CC protection? mistform?
    I am retiring my mgplar and moving to Sorc. My playstyle with plar was with Masters Destro - weaving clench and Bane. I was not a vamp and suffered for it. Immovability pots for the 10.4 seconds of freedom were good but expensive. I was recently running RAT but the lack of stun and knockback immunity was limiting. Shouldnt everyone have a good CC immunity ability? It is sickening the amount of CC in this game. It really sucks to have full resources and get CC'd and blasted in 4 seconds... I digress... Just looking for some tips on that with magsorc :)
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am retiring my mgplar and moving to Sorc. My playstyle with plar was with Masters Destro - weaving clench and Bane. I was not a vamp and suffered for it. Immovability pots for the 10.4 seconds of freedom were good but expensive. I was recently running RAT but the lack of stun and knockback immunity was limiting. Shouldnt everyone have a good CC immunity ability? It is sickening the amount of CC in this game. It really sucks to have full resources and get CC'd and blasted in 4 seconds... I digress... Just looking for some tips on that with magsorc :)

magsorcs dont typicality have cc immunity, you need plenty of stam to break it then streak to get distance.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

magsorcs dont typicality have cc immunity, you need plenty of stam to break it then streak to get distance.

This.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Insco851
    Insco851
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 BTB/Necro
    Armor master back bar
    Master inferno/willpower front bar
    Pirate Skele
    Tri food for Stam/dark deals

Go troll zergs.
    Edited by Insco851 on May 30, 2019 1:56PM
  • SacredEarth
    SacredEarth
    ✭✭
    Insco851 wrote: »
    5 BTB/Necro
    Armor master back bar
    Master inferno/willpower front bar
    Pirate Skele
    Tri food for Stam/dark deals

Go troll zergs.

I am playing in non-cp with this toon. But trolling Zergs is something that should happen all the time :smile: