The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Godslayer title

• T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All BS aside, it is a bit hypocritical to not allow "God/god" in a character name, but allow it in a title. I bet the inflammatory types would like to make religious troll comments through character names, and ESO is just avoiding that whole thing.

"Did you really slay a deity?"
    'Well, it was actually a false god.'
    "Hmm, so if I kill that big sea viper over there, do I get the Dragonslayer Wyvernslayer title?
    'I don't make titles, I earn them.'

I mean, my userID clearly has god in it, and i have not been asked to change it. Soooooo...
    PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a game people
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You all act like if there will be tons of people running with Godslayer title. There will be not, just like TTT this is title that you can't get carried to and you can't buy it with your meaningless tenths milions of gold.

How about being grateful? If I complete vSunspire on hard mode with speed run and no-death at once, I will gladly wear the title it offers, be it Godslayer, Budhaslayer or Whateverslayer.
  • Girl_Number8
    Girl_Number8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Its a game people

Very true Banana
  • Cheezits94
    Cheezits94
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do realize the "God" in the "Godslayer" title in a video game set in a fantasy world with dragons and magic does not refer to the (Christian?) God you choose to believe in in the real world, right?

Edited by Cheezits94 on May 16, 2019 10:32AM
    If you can't even spell sets, locations and items, you probably have no clue what you even are talking about.

Tamriel, not Tamerial, Temerial or Tamériál
    Alkosh, not Alkoash
    Dolmen, not Dolman
    Olorime, not Oloramie
    Sorcerer, not Sorceror
  • Prutton
    Prutton
    ✭✭✭
    Cheezits94 wrote: »
    You do realize the "God" in the "Godslayer" title in a video game set in a fantasy world with dragons and magic does not refer to the (Christian?) God you choose to believe in in the real world, right?

Their god was also killed when it came to Earth, according to their mythology.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All BS aside, it is a bit hypocritical to not allow "God/god" in a character name, but allow it in a title. I bet the inflammatory types would like to make religious troll comments through character names, and ESO is just avoiding that whole thing.

"Hmm, so if I kill that big sea viper over there, do I get the Dragonslayer Wyvernslayer title?

I mean, my userID clearly has god in it, and i have not been asked to change it. Soooooo...

Soooo.... Do you think your name bypasses filters, or do you think they are cool with it? Is it the capital G usage that matters? I've never tried to put God/god in a character name before, so I took what is said here at face value:
    irswat wrote: »
    Zacuel wrote: »
    If it offends rl religious people. Well that's just an added bonus.

this real life religious person has contributed quite a deal to the ESO community. It's a good thing you don't represent the community, because if ESO was comprised of people who get their jollies off from the plight of others, then this would be a community I want nothing to do with.

Another thing I don't get is, if I tried making a character named "Gods' not dead" I wouldn't be allowed to because ZOS sensitivity to religious and political matters, but Godslayer? no problem

I'm not promoting anything, and if they ban a name like JesusisGod alongside GodisDead, I get it and I'm fine with that. Some names will escape the filters they have too. I've seen characters with names that are titles in the game as well. I'm curious about what the standards are here. Will I be able to make the name Godslayer? Allahslayer? Godslawyer? Maybe consoles are bound by stricter rules than PC? (probably)

Also, @irswat about the "jollies" - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/474231/a-gentlemans-guide-to-teabagging/p1
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • BrianLovesLisa
    BrianLovesLisa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Soooo.... Do you think your name bypasses filters, or do you think they are cool with it? Is it the capital G usage that matters? I've never tried to put God/god in a character name before, so I took what is said here at face value:
    Zacuel wrote: »
    If it offends rl religious people. Well that's just an added bonus.

this real life religious person has contributed quite a deal to the ESO community. It's a good thing you don't represent the community, because if ESO was comprised of people who get their jollies off from the plight of others, then this would be a community I want nothing to do with.

Another thing I don't get is, if I tried making a character named "Gods' not dead" I wouldn't be allowed to because ZOS sensitivity to religious and political matters, but Godslayer? no problem

I'm not promoting anything, and if they ban a name like JesusisGod alongside GodisDead, I get it and I'm fine with that. Some names will escape the filters they have too. I've seen characters with names that are titles in the game as well. I'm curious about what the standards are here. Will I be able to make the name Godslayer? Allahslayer? Godslawyer? Maybe consoles are bound by stricter rules than PC? (probably)

Also, @irswat about the "jollies" - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/474231/a-gentlemans-guide-to-teabagging/p1

Allah is fake.
  • irswat
    irswat
    ✭✭✭✭
    when I got Immortal Redeemer I tried changing my name to Jesus is my, and God is my...and I was unable to due to censorship. However, my religious convictions may be part of the reason i'm uneasy with Godslayer, the argument continges not on religious persuasion, but on consistency of lore. Other people are the ones who explicitly decided to bring my religious beliefs into this, but I'm not wholly a fool, and that is not primarily what the OP was about. The OP was about the trial being about false-gods. This is confirmed by the language they use in the trial itself, in their press release, and even the set false-gods devotion. The title Godslayer, if attempting to understand it as consistent with lore, can only be done as such if one assumes the title to implicity mean "God" slayer, a sort of tongue in cheek jab at the false 'god' who is the final boss of the trial.

A second argument against the title Godslayer arises, because ZOS would not allow me to make a character named Godslayer, so to make a title Godslayer seems an inconsistent application of their censorship policies.

As far as religious arguments go, and I expect the trolls to come biting on this one, but that is not my intention. My intention is rather to help someone who otherwise wouldn't understand, understand, why the title Godslayer might be offesnive for a 'religious' person. If you want to understand why this might be offensive to a religious person consider that the three monotheistic religions in this world reserve the word God (note the capitalization) for the Supreme Being, the Creator. Some stricter adherents of Judaism, for example, consider the name God to be so sacred, they dare not even spell it out, but prefer to type 'G-d'. If the title were indeed godslayer (note the capitalization), it wouldn't really be offensive, because a god is by definition understood as not the Supreme Being who created the universe.

As far as this last argument goes, I could easily point out that ZOS has proudly gone to great lengths to honor tolerance and sensitivity to the population of sexual minorities who play this. If ZOS were to act justly then according to the same principle they ought to go to great lengths to not alienate or ostracize religious populations.
    Edited by irswat on May 16, 2019 9:33PM
    The Lord Jesus Christ saved me from sin and darkness. His love has transformed me so that I am a new creature in Him. May you find Him too, and experience His richness and goodness!
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    If the title were indeed godslayer (note the capitalization), it wouldn't really be offensive, because a god is definition understood as not the Supreme Being who created the universe.
    The problem is that, as a title, it'll start with a capital. Not to signify that it is about slaying the one true god but merely because it is a title and as such it is displayed with a capital. Now if this was all about "Slayer of God" then I could see the argument but it isn't. And no matter how sacred people consider the word, at the end of the day it is also, simply a word. A concept within the english language. People cannot claim it is theirs and take offense to anything that simply uses the word "god".

Also (not strictly directed at you), there is a big difference in having some player have it in their name and them having it as a title.
    Edited by Kyoma on May 16, 2019 9:36PM
    Will I be able to forget all the wounds that pierce my flesh?
    You and your childish justice. I'll rip it to pieces.
    Come on, it's showtime. A rain of blood like a volcano
    And now I'll blow all of you and you and you...
    All to tiny pieces. All to tiny pieces.
  • Prutton
    Prutton
    ✭✭✭
    Allah is fake.

All gods are fake, so what is your point?
  • irswat
    irswat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the respectful and thought out replies from some peoples, even where we disagree.
    The Lord Jesus Christ saved me from sin and darkness. His love has transformed me so that I am a new creature in Him. May you find Him too, and experience His richness and goodness!
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DoonerSeraph you're more correct than you know; in TES the "true gods" (Aedra/Daedra etc) are immortal. To destroy their physical form means nothing as they simply reform in Oblivion.

So are dragons, they'll reform in the trial as soon as you disband the group or change difficulty.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should go door to door.

I hear people really like that.
  • Svenja
    Svenja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arguing about whether the correct wording is "God" or "false God" is really funny considering we were apparently tormenting "Tick Tocks" instead of Dwemer Constructs and nobody bat an eye about that.
    PC | EU

Svea Rochaud | Templar Healer | AD
    Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror - Immortal Redeemer - Tick-Tock-Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Spirit Slayer
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Svenja wrote: »
    Arguing about whether the correct wording is "God" or "false God" is really funny considering we were apparently tormenting "Tick Tocks" instead of Dwemer Constructs and nobody bat an eye about that.

Or ya know the achievement “Mountain God” having been in the game for over a year now without drawing any criticism of its wording that I could find.
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wolfahm wrote: »
    You need to take your god fetish out of this games lore and detach yourself from your real life fantasy. The title is based on the Gods of Elderscrolls. Not based on Earth Mythology.

The Godslayer title is fitting for the trial at hand. and has nothing to do with the one in your head.

Diplomacy is not your cup of tea... :wink:
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    when I got Immortal Redeemer I tried changing my name to Jesus is my, and God is my...and I was unable to due to censorship. However, my religious convictions may be part of the reason i'm uneasy with Godslayer, the argument continges not on religious persuasion, but on consistency of lore. Other people are the ones who explicitly decided to bring my religious beliefs into this, but I'm not wholly a fool, and that is not primarily what the OP was about. The OP was about the trial being about false-gods. This is confirmed by the language they use in the trial itself, in their press release, and even the set false-gods devotion. The title Godslayer, if attempting to understand it as consistent with lore, can only be done as such if one assumes the title to implicity mean "God" slayer, a sort of tongue in cheek jab at the false 'god' who is the final boss of the trial.

A second argument against the title Godslayer arises, because ZOS would not allow me to make a character named Godslayer, so to make a title Godslayer seems an inconsistent application of their censorship policies.

As far as religious arguments go, and I expect the trolls to come biting on this one, but that is not my intention. My intention is rather to help someone who otherwise wouldn't understand, understand, why the title Godslayer might be offesnive for a 'religious' person. If you want to understand why this might be offensive to a religious person consider that the three monotheistic religions in this world reserve the word God (note the capitalization) for the Supreme Being, the Creator. Some stricter adherents of Judaism, for example, consider the name God to be so sacred, they dare not even spell it out, but prefer to type 'G-d'. If the title were indeed godslayer (note the capitalization), it wouldn't really be offensive, because a god is by definition understood as not the Supreme Being who created the universe.

As far as this last argument goes, I could easily point out that ZOS has proudly gone to great lengths to honor tolerance and sensitivity to the population of sexual minorities who play this. If ZOS were to act justly then according to the same principle they ought to go to great lengths to not alienate or ostracize religious populations.

I appreciate the effort you've made for this, but I'm pretty confident ZOS isn't as concerned about the religious community as they are about the homosexual/transgender community. It would be nice to be proven wrong though.

I made a thread about looking for a Christian community in ESO a couple years back and it got shut down for bringing real world religion into the forums, but you see LGBT guild recruitment/celebrations all the time. It would be nice if the partiality wasn't so obvious.

But hey, kudos for your efforts bud!
  • Prutton
    Prutton
    ✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    I appreciate the effort you've made for this, but I'm pretty confident ZOS isn't as concerned about the religious community as they are about the homosexual/transgender community. It would be nice to be proven wrong though.

I made a thread about looking for a Christian community in ESO a couple years back and it got shut down for bringing real world religion into the forums, but you see LGBT guild recruitment/celebrations all the time. It would be nice if the partiality wasn't so obvious.

God does not exist. LGBT people, on the other hand, are very real.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame on you intolerant religious people... Shame.
    Edited by Zacuel on May 18, 2019 9:09PM
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prutton wrote: »

God is very real, and for your sake I hope you discover this one day. Have a great day.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

God is very real, and for your sake I hope you discover this one day. Have a great day.

LGBT has NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION. I know that's extremely hard for religious people to understand but it legit has nothing to do with religion. How can you even compare the two?
    Edited by DisgracefulMind on May 19, 2019 12:56AM
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »
    NupidStoob wrote: »
    Doesn't matter how cool the title sounds. It's simply not appropriate as you are slaying false gods.

You and the other three people who care can just not use the title, then.

Man that is such a good argument have you ever thought of joining a debate club? I could say the same *** about every bug post you made "don't like it don't use it hurr durr".

It's not appropriate as in not fitting. Has nothing to do with real life beliefs and I have no desire to bring any actual religion into this as some people seem to assume. False God Slayer would be more thematic and more fitting the lore we get with Elsweyr/Sunspire.

Personally I couldn't care less what it's called in the end. It's just an observation.
  • Prutton
    Prutton
    ✭✭✭

You can believe in anything you want. However, we are not in bronze age anymore.
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

404 evidence not found
    PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • TPishek
    TPishek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please put Godslayer title in the crown store so us with disabilities can also be heathens.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel your pain. I keep saying the same thing about Bigfoot and I keep getting ridiculed about it.

It's tough when nobody can take your beliefs seriously because there's no "proof".
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edit: nvm... forgot about forum rules... shouldn't have said anything.
    Edited by tmbrinks on May 19, 2019 8:00PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

404 evidence not found

If you would like to have that conversation we can, but not on the forums. Rules, and all.
  • Prutton
    Prutton
    ✭✭✭
    If you would like to have that conversation we can, but not on the forums. Rules, and all.

Sounds like mormons or Jehovah Witnesses saying "Do you have any time to hear the word of our father, God?"
This discussion has been closed.