Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Losing the entire map overnight.

erio
erio
✭✭✭✭✭
I play on a non cp campaign. Populations are usually the highest at about 6-12 est and then dip overnight. The past few weeks i've looked at the portion my faction controls at the end of the night (usually a good portion, if not all) and when I log in the next morning, Red controls it all. There is nothing fun or satisfying about working all night to see your progress of controlling the map wiped out by a group of small players. I know its dumb of me to say "can you stop players from playing the game" but I think letting a group of players cap everything with little to no resistance every night isnt really good for the campaign. That factions always has the highest score because of this, and id suggest maybe closing campaigns during the night or something. I know that most likely wont happen I just thought id share my experience and feelings about this.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe Red players feel the same about your faction controlling most of the map while they are sleeping. I can log into Vivec every few hours and see the whole map flipped from one side to another.

It is what it is.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google "timezones" and be prepared to be educated ...
    shades.gif

PS: You can't seriously suggest that ZOS shut down the servers when *you* go to sleep?
    unsure.gif

• linoge63
    linoge63
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a pretty stagnant and boring game if it weren't for the night crew.

They are resetting the table so to speak for your return and AP gains

• josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is designed for the map to flip numerous times a day, the map should be changing hour by hour. It's not fun to have a static map. Taking the whole map and holding for several hours or days would kill PvP. The map should stay dynamic.

What you are describing is not just normal, it's good.
  • Zavijah
    Zavijah
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, the Reds in question are all late night Americans. And a Romanian.

So the majority are actually from your timezone, but just choose to play later.
  • Nermy
    Nermy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 years this has been happening and as previous replies state, it's part of the game and is what it is. If your alliance can't defend, you'll lose it; and vice-versa.
    @Nermy
    Ex-Leader of The Wabbajack [EU EP PvP guild - Now stood down from active duty]
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT!!!

Nermden - EP Warden, Nerm-in'a'tor - EP Dragon Knight, N'erm - EP Sorcerer, D'arkness - EP Nightblade, Nermy - EP Templar

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." -General George S. Patton
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    shades.gif

PS: You can't seriously suggest that ZOS shut down the servers when *you* go to sleep?
    unsure.gif
    When did I say to shut them down when *I* go to sleep? I guess i wasnt clear enough because some people can't seriously understand that what I meant was them being open during a certain time and being closed during a certain time. I know time zones are tricky being on a mega server (forgive me I played an est wow server for about 10 years), but say closing at 3 am est and opening 9 am est
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Maybe Red players feel the same about your faction controlling most of the map while they are sleeping. I can log into Vivec every few hours and see the whole map flipped from one side to another.

It is what it is.

I know that but when it feels one sided because one faction flips it when no ones on. Id rather have a lot of fights and lose the map than losing it while the worlds sleeping. I know its an impossible fix though.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erio wrote: »
    I know that but when it feels one sided because one faction flips it when no ones on. Id rather have a lot of fights and lose the map than losing it while the worlds sleeping. I know its an impossible fix though.

And how exactly do you know "No one is on"? Aren't you sleeping?
    In fact, if that were true, then who the heck is flipping the map?

So you assume because *you* aren't playing in your sleep, the campaign must be empty.
    That's a wee bit egocentric, don't you think? Your night time is someone else's prime time.

They have just as much right to play on that campaign as you do. In what world are you so special to think that ZOS would shut down their servers when you go to sleep so all "your progress" isn't ruined by "small players".
    confused24.gif

Edited by SirAndy on April 17, 2019 10:40PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it gets really really old to come in after waking up from night sleep and seeing the entire map was taken during the hours we were all asleep and we had no chance to defend it.
    been going on now for many years.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    shades.gif

unsure.gif
    When did I say to shut them down when *I* go to sleep? I guess i wasnt clear enough because some people can't seriously understand that what I meant was them being open during a certain time and being closed during a certain time. I know time zones are tricky being on a mega server (forgive me I played an est wow server for about 10 years), but say closing at 3 am est and opening 9 am est
    The past few weeks i've looked at the portion my faction controls at the end of the night (usually a good portion, if not all) and when I log in the next morning, Red controls it all.

You literally stated in the op that this happened overnight. So, when you were asleep.

You can't just shut down the servers whenever it is inconvenient for you. Not all players live in the same time zone, have the same work schedule, or have the same opportunities to play at the same time every day.
    Edited by jaws343 on April 17, 2019 10:57PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    it gets really really old to come in after waking up from night sleep and seeing the entire map was taken during the hours we were all asleep and we had no chance to defend it.
    been going on now for many years.

It does get old.

Nevertheless, I magnanimously admit that perhaps there are some Oceanic players and maybe even a few North American night shift folks who would like to play in Cyrodiil, capture keeps, and earn points from the hours of 11 PM EDT to 9 AM EDT, while I am usually asleep (exact hours might vary).

So I don't hit the OFF switch on the servers when I log out of PC/NA Vivec.

You're all welcome.

(That was sarcasm, BTW. I mean, seriously, we've got people playing on the NA campaigns at all hours. In fact, one of my fondest memories of the old PC/NA Trueflame was getting on at 1 AM and finding a semi-organized EP group battling it out with AD over Sejanus outpost.)
    Edited by VaranisArano on April 18, 2019 12:18AM
  • jaime1982
    jaime1982
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is beyond stupid
  • Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    So 1, no, they can't shut the servers down because prime time is over, that would be stupid for those that have to play in off hours due to time zone and other factors.

BUT: The players in question are doing this not as a bi-product of playing at differing times, but because they want to win the campaign, and are willing to do it by any means necessary, even if their method of "Winning" isn't really a victory against other players..

In this particular situation, the campaign is DEAD at any time but prime time. This started because EP would take the map over night. Fine. But THEN. They do everything in their power to hold every keep on the map. During the first month of these activities by these people, they would respond to flagged resources with 10+ people.

Would you want to play a campaign where not only is everything that you fought to take is taken back without you being able to defend it, but where those same people who "stole" the map respond to you doing anything with overwhelming numbers? Id venture no.

This is why people don't log in until they are sure they will have a group that can fight the 10+ people.

Is this behavior against the rules? no. Is this behavior something ZOS can stop? not without massive changes. Does this behavior lead to a "win"? Yes. and this would be why these players do it.

Is this behavior scummy? yes. Is this behavior toxic? yes.

The problem is, the only way to stop this behavior is to disinsentivise it. Change the scoring system so that if one faction has a 3-4-5:1 population ratio, NO ONE EARNS POINTS. This way, people who want to play at this time, can still play, but those who simply want the cheap win can't get it.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaime1982 wrote: »
    This thread is beyond stupid

why?
    i mean they only take keeps when no one is there to defend it is really annoying.
    its spose to be pvp not pvdoor
    not fair that its able to happen, because now we have to go down there, retake it, and its all just pve.
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zavijah wrote: »
    Actually, the Reds in question are all late night Americans. And a Romanian.

So the majority are actually from your timezone, but just choose to play later.

You can't say when people "choose to play" because a lot of people do shift work or have other life obligations. When people have time to play is not usually something they have a lot of control over.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what angers me the most about this is that they wait untill everyone loggs out to launch their campaign to take the intire board, knowing that they will have it easy because no one is there to fight against them.
    it's not fair.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what angers me the most about this is that they wait untill everyone loggs out to launch their campaign to take the intire board, knowing that they will have it easy because no one is there to fight against them.
    it's not fair.

How do you propose to distinguish between people waiting until everyone logs off to take the map vs people logging on to play Cyrodiil at a time when most other people have logged off?

Those two groups of people look exactly the same...
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because on weekdays those people only bigin their attacks at midnight my time
    and on the weekends they wait untill 1:30 AM my time
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its easy to know, because they can see its no longer locked, people left, its now just 2 bars, and all of a sudden you see then the attacks begin on the castles.
    they wont do that attack untill it shows the population has fallen to unlocked and only 1 or 2 bars.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because on weekdays those people only bigin their attacks at midnight my time
    and on the weekends they wait untill 1:30 AM my time

Maybe that's because they have to work during the week but not on weekends?
    confused24.gif
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its easy to know, because they can see its no longer locked, people left, its now just 2 bars, and all of a sudden you see then the attacks begin on the castles.
    they wont do that attack untill it shows the population has fallen to unlocked and only 1 or 2 bars.

no, its this ^
    i stand by that, i watch it every night.
    Edited by Gilvoth on April 18, 2019 4:50PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to win the battle, show up when your enemy is not there.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i watch it every night.

So you are a night-capper then, got it ...
    shades.gif
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, im talking about the other alliance, i allways break down my rewards of the worthy and any found armors and finish up various chores and logg out, at the same time i look at the map and listen to zone chat just like everyone else.
    im not joining in at that time
    im heading to bed.
    i made that clear several times now.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, im talking about the other alliance, i allways break down my rewards of the worthy and any found armors and finish up various chores and logg out, at the same time i look at the map and listen to zone chat just like everyone else.
    im not joining in at that time
    im heading to bed.
    i made that clear several times now.

So what do you want? An OFF-switch for Cyrodiil so you can turn off the score or the servers like you turn out your lights when you go to bed?

Your time for heading to bed is someone else's waking up to start their day or someone else's "hey, just got done with work, time to play video games!"
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So 1, no, they can't shut the servers down because prime time is over, that would be stupid for those that have to play in off hours due to time zone and other factors.

BUT: The players in question are doing this not as a bi-product of playing at differing times, but because they want to win the campaign, and are willing to do it by any means necessary, even if their method of "Winning" isn't really a victory against other players..

In this particular situation, the campaign is DEAD at any time but prime time. This started because EP would take the map over night. Fine. But THEN. They do everything in their power to hold every keep on the map. During the first month of these activities by these people, they would respond to flagged resources with 10+ people.

Would you want to play a campaign where not only is everything that you fought to take is taken back without you being able to defend it, but where those same people who "stole" the map respond to you doing anything with overwhelming numbers? Id venture no.

This is why people don't log in until they are sure they will have a group that can fight the 10+ people.

Is this behavior against the rules? no. Is this behavior something ZOS can stop? not without massive changes. Does this behavior lead to a "win"? Yes. and this would be why these players do it.

Is this behavior scummy? yes. Is this behavior toxic? yes.

The problem is, the only way to stop this behavior is to disinsentivise it. Change the scoring system so that if one faction has a 3-4-5:1 population ratio, NO ONE EARNS POINTS. This way, people who want to play at this time, can still play, but those who simply want the cheap win can't get it.

EP countered DC‘s overnight flipping crew, all there is to it..DC started it but couldn’t sustain it once EP stepped up
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I propose that we all post our schedules in a letter to ZOS so that they can better determine when things are fair and act accordingly. I've no doubt that the people playing the game when I can't have nefarious reasons.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on a non cp campaign. Populations are usually the highest at about 6-12 est and then dip overnight. The past few weeks i've looked at the portion my faction controls at the end of the night (usually a good portion, if not all) and when I log in the next morning, Red controls it all. There is nothing fun or satisfying about working all night to see your progress of controlling the map wiped out by a group of small players. I know its dumb of me to say "can you stop players from playing the game" but I think letting a group of players cap everything with little to no resistance every night isnt really good for the campaign. That factions always has the highest score because of this, and id suggest maybe closing campaigns during the night or something. I know that most likely wont happen I just thought id share my experience and feelings about this.

It sounds like you are missing out on some good fights. Have you thought about changing your work and sleep schedule so you and your friends can be awake when red is on? I bet it would be a lot more fun for red too if they had someone to fight. There is also coffee and no-doze, just cut back on sleep a bit and stay on more hours out of the day and you won't miss out on those fun fights!
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightcapping has been a thing since ESO first came out, theres not much that can be done about it because of the different time zones.

tbh I always liked getting home from work and seeing the entire map red or blue (ive always played AD). it was good to progress with my guild and take the map back, and overall made for more AP.

I more so feel bad for the people who can only play when no one else is on. There probably are a few who want to nightcap, but im sure some people schedules only allow them to be on when no one else is on and if they want to pvp there isn't much they can do other than take keeps and fight whatever they can.
    ~Thallen~