The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dedicated Server For ESO+ Subscribers

Verbal_Earthworm
Verbal_Earthworm
✭✭✭✭✭
This idea will probably draw a lot of fire but hear me out.

I begrudge paying for ESO+ with the server performance only getting worse over time.

ESO+ players should get their own server to play on, they are paying for it already.

Why should ESO+ subscribers have to finance the servers that are being put under such strain by non-subscribers?

Where is the value for money for those that pay it?

This thread is suddenly relevant for me and others on PC-EU.

If not a separate server then how about preferential login queue status for ESO+ members?

Why should paying players be locked out of the game when non-paying players are filling it to the brim?

Essentially paying for the game so someone else can play it.

Edit: Getting some expected replies, some expected snide remarks and an uninformative "No" but nobody has answered my questions yet. Let's assume that they aren't rhetorical. I shall bold them so you cant miss them.

Edited by Verbal_Earthworm on April 10, 2019 10:20PM
  • Imperial_Voice
    Imperial_Voice
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. The amount theyd have to pay for a special server just to keep ESO+ from getting a server disconnect once every 4 or 5 hours would take a hugr amount of money away from development for basically nothing.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you have a misguided idea on just what contributes to server lag.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Verbal_Earthworm
    Verbal_Earthworm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Fair enough, so what does contribute to server lag then?

Guide me, oh wise one.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Guide me, oh wise one.
    Something happens on the client, client sends all info about what happened to sever, server has to find out what outcome to choose, server needs to have all variables, calculate all variables, send back answer.

Now think of all the information that has to be sent to resolve that, now times it by the number of people in an active area doing the same.

Even if you segregated the ESO+ and Non-ESO+ players you would still get enough people on both servers to cause issues.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No man. Not all of my online homies are subs. What you want me to do? Unsub so i can play with them?
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    No man. Not all of my online homies are subs. What you want me to do? Unsub so i can play with them?

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

Guide me, oh wise one.
    Something happens on the client, client sends all info about what happened to sever, server has to find out what outcome to choose, server needs to have all variables, calculate all variables, send back answer.

Now think of all the information that has to be sent to resolve that, now times it by the number of people in an active area doing the same.

Even if you segregated the ESO+ and Non-ESO+ players you would still get enough people on both servers to cause issues.

^ That. Its not the number of people in the instance, its the number of calculations the Server has to do, which keep going up the more complicated ZOS makes the game. Even a single person spamming their skill bars can cause an issue. Why do you think Trials with just 12 players in their own instance still produce horrid lag and connection issues?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This idea will probably draw a lot of fire but hear me out.

I begrudge paying for ESO+ with the server performance only getting worse over time.

ESO+ players should get their own server to play on, they are paying for it already.

Why should ESO+ subscribers have to finance the servers that are being put under such strain by non-subscribers?

Where is the value for money for those that pay it?

Nah. I get value from the subscription bonuses. I don't need to be isolated to some bourgeoisie only server to feel better about myself. I'd rather have shorter dungeon queues.
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awful idea, sorry.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama free social group enjoying PVE questing, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Investing in and maintaining 4 more servers? Xbox+, PS4+, PC-NA+, PC-EU+.

It won't make the distance between user and server any shorter and it won't make the packet jumps to get there any fewer.

Lag is mostly distance and jumps, that is not even factoring in net code or other software like anti-cheat that adds lag.

That money would be better spent on improving the software, and finding better methods of anti-cheat that don't slow things down.

I suspect, as Turelus has said, you'd still run into the same problems at peak times, but worse, in the off times, each server might be pretty dead. Too dead to get a trial going.
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do think it’s Akamai issues/routing. Am I wrong?
  • VexingArcanist
    VexingArcanist
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about instead of further segmenting the player base we instead insist on ZOS spending money on infrastructure instead of pocketing it from all the reskinned ponies? I would be on board with that.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would make grouping with others even more of a pain in the butt.
    ESO + players try group for a Trial, only Tanks on line are not have ESO+ or vice-versa.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Jeirno
    Jeirno
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dividing the player base? please no.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    noooooooooooooooooo

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i don't want eso to become a commercial airline :(
    Edited by Browiseth on March 28, 2019 3:21PM
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure and they can ramp up the cost of eso+ too to sustain the new server.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not gona happen
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To the first question, we of course don't have numbers, and contrary to anecdotal evidence from the forums, I'd wager there are more subscribers than you think. Any separation would only lead to two under populated servers.

To the second point, value is mostly in the eye of the beholder, but I view ESO+ as discounted monthly crowns with craft bag, exp, etc as a free bonus.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Blacksmoke
    Blacksmoke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No this is one of the worst suggestions I read on this forum..
    Champion point: 645
    Characters
    Ganlian Stormian - AD - Dungeon healer - Templar - Crafter
    Ondaril Stormian - AD - Trail DPS - Sorcerer
    Shagrod gro-Bolmog - AD - PVP - Dragonknight
  • iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You would just play on the "Standard" server with your friends. I doubt something like this would be forced on you.
    "Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
    - ZO$

- The ZO$ Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUJWP_ebsQ
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why should ESO+ subscribers have to finance the servers that are being put under such strain by non-subscribers?:

People who don't sub to ESO still pay for their game. They need to access DLC through a separate purchase, and are funding the servers just as much as subscribers are. They still buy mounts, pets and cosmetics. They do all of the same things subscribers do...and may even be paying more since we get crowns with our subs we can save up to buy things with. Why should I get a special server for subscribing, when someone who doesn't subscribe may very well be paying more per month in crown store purchases than I do? You can't assume that everyone you see is a "Non-subscriber" or that they haven't spent money on the game.

Why should I play on a server with a select few when our money could go to fund -better servers for everyone- and we could have a full game that supports both a subscribing and non subscribing community?

Server improvements need to be universal. They are being strained by -everyone-.

Where is the value for money for those that pay it?:

This answer is subjective and dependent on what you value personally. I'm happy with my sub, and what it gives me. This game provides so much more with its subscription than other games. Most wouldn't even dream of giving you any cash shop currency, and would make you buy the craft bag inventory space separately, slot by slot. Not to mention in many games dying clothing would cost you, you'd never get the dyes back if you decided to change colors, and you would pay a considerable amount of money for each dye in each slot. My sub lets me dye for free any time I want. (Some games even make dying RNG based so you never know if you'll actually get the color you want.) If this isn't valuable to others? Okay. But value is, again, subjective.

My question is where is the value for the money for those who are buying DLC's and other content without a sub? Why should they get the short end of the stick if they don't sub?

Tying server performance to subbing would be the fast track to breeding further resentment towards the game and claims of "P2W". Again, server performance needs to be universal. This is all around, a very, very bad idea that would divide the community into "us" and "them" and we simply do not need more of this. There is already enough of it between PVP vs PVE, RP vs PVE
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

Guide me, oh wise one.

The game didn't use to lag as much as it does now though. I never had just unplayable lag, disconnecting, no loading in, infinite load-screens to the extent we do now, and all I can put it down to is something has changed on ZO$' end (cheaped out on hardware, not reinvesting, no real maintenance etc) or the servers are overloaded with too many people! "Sharding" into a couple of different servers might alleviate some problems even if we dont go down the route of premium none premium servers.
    "Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
    - ZO$

- The ZO$ Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUJWP_ebsQ
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP

You're a MEANIE!

While I'm probably the most pretentious and elitist prig you'll ever meet, even I think that's a little bit over the top.

Still... Don't get me wrong... If it was available, I'd be the first to sign up and lord it over the plebians at every opportunity.

I am Altmer at heart, after all...
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big believer in the common good, are you?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the worst ideas ever, to be brutally honest. It would be awful to separate players in this way, and it wouldn't work. It would just lead to even more complaining every time the players on the special server started lagging - which could be for any number of reasons but probably not directly related to the actual server itself. The player's end, the server hardware, the network between the player and the servers and the server/game code would all be the same regardless of such a measure.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Not a big believer in the common good, are you?

Commoner's? Absolutely not. Although, I suppose they do make good chattle and fodder.
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    One of the worst ideas ever, to be brutally honest. It would be awful to separate players in this way, and it wouldn't work. It would just lead to even more complaining every time the players on the special server started lagging - which could be for any number of reasons but probably not directly related to the actual server itself. The player's end, the server hardware, the network between the player and the servers and the server/game code would all be the same regardless of such a measure.

But why on Nirn would you want to mingle with the unwashed (or in this case unpaid) masses?

We are simply better than the "cheap". It's a fact!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DenMoria wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »

But why on Nirn would you want to mingle with the unwashed (or in this case unpaid) masses?

We are simply better than the "cheap". It's a fact!

I achieve that already by playing mainly on the EU server :wink: !