Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

why do people like the high elves???

• Shadow_Akula
    Shadow_Akula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Stands at the back of the room and cups hands round mouth to shout*
    We don’t!
    *walks out the door*

Lol
    I don’t mind em really, I have a high elf Sorc character but she doesn’t see much use these days
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered why people like the dunmer, nostalgia aside.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
    latest?cb=20150923165256
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2320+
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ikr lol, worst race
    at a place nobody knows
  • Jawshoeuh
    Jawshoeuh
    ✭✭✭
    DPShiro wrote: »
    They are the superior race, with a rich and interesting background, lore and culture. I have loved and preferred then in every TES.

Of course a lesser being, a glorified handbag, wouldn’t understand that.

My Bright Throat Gucci Bag pairs well with this conversation.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how could anyone not Love them, i don't see anything wrong with them.
    they seem like a wonderful people, Wealthy and Intelligent.
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    their skin tone reminds me of a certain president, as well.
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Lusty Argonian Nightblade
    ~Baron Humbert von Gikkingen~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    disliking an entire race calling them racist.....

I like high elves even though I disagree with much of their culture/values and I hate the Thalmor. (ESO Thalmor is like. ok I guess. Still don't like it.)

I mean I like. Hate the evil racist characters but in TES I usually enjoy them since they are written sorta jokingly generally. So I can laugh at them cause it's a bit comedic how awful they are. The writing is usually pretty obviously aware of how horrible they are when they are. Usually just they way the lines are said in game.

But there's plenty of nice Altmer I do like who aren't pieces of crap. And I like their lore even though I don't APPROVE of their customs and such. I liked the quests in Summerset with the hulkynd or the apraxic people which shows altmer who aren't the Typical Noble Altmer who is just bonkers about 'perfection' and genealogy. There's Altmer who are raised in that society but don't like it or are rejected because of things like deformation/birth defects or what have you.

There's also Altmer who seem to be just normal.. decent people. Like Quen, I mean she's a thief so technically not a GOOD GUY but she's nice.

• Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OP: "I find Altmers racist"

- Goes on being racist towards Altmers..

Rly?
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Flameheart wrote: »
    The ESO Elves are actually a good change in compare to the image of Tolkien Elves.

I may agree, that Altmer have it hard to be liked even by me, but Altmer don't want to be liked, they want efficiency and they don't care for your opinion.

*effectiveness

Hey, I googled the word before I wrote it down here :-)

https://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/efficiency.html
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kikke wrote: »
    OP: "I find Altmers racist"

- Goes on being racist towards Altmers..

Rly?

no
    u

its a game, theres tons of racist nords, dark elves, bretons, high elves, orcs...
    more than any theres a whole ton of racist high elves.
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me. But would be the second choice if i wanted pointy ears
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »

What's the first choice?
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • Kambo
    Kambo
    ✭✭✭
    They are the superior race, with a rich and interesting background, lore and culture. I have loved and preferred then in every TES.

The Dunmer would like to have a word with you...
    Straight out of Mo- uh, oh wait. Um... Ebonheart, I guess?
    PC US
    Characters:
    Nathyrin Othrril - Dunmer Stamina Sorcerer
    Niveth Othrril - Dunmer Stamina Dragonknight
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TiaFrye wrote: »
    I've always wondered why people like the dunmer, nostalgia aside.

I've always wondered why people love bretons. It's blandest of races, all other humans in game have deep lore and specific national/racial character, bretons are almost no different at all from stereotype "medieval people".
    Well, I loved bretons in TES3 due to ability to use boots of blinding speed from the very beginning without actual blindness, and in skyrim they have great magical resistance if you wanna go for some fast legendary run, but from lore side.. they are just casuals.
  • Kambo
    Kambo
    ✭✭✭
    Ashfen wrote: »
    SosRuvaak wrote: »

do argonians, nords, or dark elves not have enough culture??
    i personally like argonians because i like reptiles in general... but they have a ton of culture, along with the other races over ebonheart, much like the altmer.

i mean, the argonians are basically missing their own game full of lore, the other 2 races in ebonheart have 2 games full of lore for their own race.
    most atmer in TES games are butts. lmao.

Come on, it's just a game, eh.

Besides, it's still funny that people consider Altmers just as "racist guys" and in the same time are not bothered by Nords and Dunmers.

The difference between the Dunmer and the Altmer from what I know is that the Dunmer aren't necessarily racist, they just don't like outsiders all that much. And while they'd easily tell you about their distaste, they generally aren't aggressive or hostile about it. Mostly they're just rude.

Meanwhile, the Altmer in the 4th Era literally have a political organization that is openly racist and downright hostile towards anyone that isn't an Altmer, or at the very least an Elf.

Overall the Altmer cultural background surrounding the strive for perfection and the goal to be the best of the best has made them think so highly of themselves that they see every other race is inferior and are very quick to tell them just how inferior they really are. Don't get me wrong, not all Altmer are like this, and the Thalmor for the most part has been the only known major organization to be so openly racist. Those that aren't aggressive or hostile are very much like how the Dunmer tend to view outsiders and those of other races. They're generally rude, but not openly telling others about their "superiority".

I should also add that the Altmer homeland, the Summerset Isles, was literally restricted from access, so almost the entire population of the isles is Altmer. Queen Ayrenn is one of the few Altmer I like because she's the one who opened access to the isles for all of Tamriel, and she genuinely cares about, at the very least, the other races which are part of the Dominion.

It could also be said, however, that the Dunmer HAVE enslaved Khajiit and Argonians for being "inferior" or some such reasoning, which does seem pretty damn bad, but from what I've heard the Altmer aren't exactly so high and mighty about that same thing.

In the end I know for a fact I've seen, heard, and read about more racist Altmer than I necessarily have about Dunmer. It's from this that I've grown such a genuine distaste for the Altmer race, excluding certain individuals and groups. Though I am more than likely a racist towards Altmer due to my distaste now. This is a tricky subject.
    Edited by Kambo on March 28, 2019 8:58AM
    PC US
    Characters:
  • Ashfen
    Ashfen
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered why people love bretons. It's blandest of races, all other humans in game have deep lore and specific national/racial character, bretons are almost no different at all from stereotype "medieval people".
    Well, I loved bretons in TES3 due to ability to use boots of blinding speed from the very beginning without actual blindness, and in skyrim they have great magical resistance if you wanna go for some fast legendary run, but from lore side.. they are just casuals.
    Bretons are half-humans/half-elves with great magic skills, they're not "random humans". And for me they're the "humans" with the most interesting story.
    Kambo wrote: »
    The difference between the Dunmer and the Altmer from what I know is that the Dunmer aren't necessarily racist, they just don't like outsiders all that much. And while they'd easily tell you about their distaste, they generally aren't aggressive or hostile about it. Mostly they're just rude.

Meanwhile, the Altmer in the 4th Era literally have a political organization that is openly racist and downright hostile towards anyone that isn't an Altmer, or at the very least an Elf.

Overall the Altmer cultural background surrounding the strive for perfection and the goal to be the best of the best has made them think so highly of themselves that they see every other race is inferior and are very quick to tell them just how inferior they really are. Don't get me wrong, not all Altmer are like this, and the Thalmor for the most part has been the only known major organization to be so openly racist. Those that aren't aggressive or hostile are very much like how the Dunmer tend to view outsiders and those of other races. They're generally rude, but not openly telling others about their "superiority".

I should also add that the Altmer homeland, the Summerset Isles, was literally restricted from access, so almost the entire population of the isles is Altmer. Queen Ayrenn is one of the few Altmer I like because she's the one who opened access to the isles for all of Tamriel, and she genuinely cares about, at the very least, the other races which are part of the Dominion.

As it has been said before, the Thalmor in Skyrim is not representative at all of Altmers in all their history. Apart from this, they're not the racists everyone describe. It's not just "few exceptions that are not racists".
    Yes, they're very proud and sometimes arrogant, but that's not a crime.

• zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they're not human.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    AdsnECp.gif?noredirect

'nuff said...

I've done that, man...
  • Grentek
    Grentek
    ✭✭✭
    The greater insult a Dunmer can say is "N'wah" wich litteraly mean "Foreigner". The most insulting thing a Dunmer can say to you is that you're not a Dunmer and "they're not necessarily racist"?

The dominion will not flee,
    We fight for Eternity!
    Hear the singing of our blades,
    Death has come, foes be afraid!
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hahahahahahah. Best post in this forum ever. :D

• Kambo
    Kambo
    ✭✭✭
    Grentek wrote: »
    The greater insult a Dunmer can say is "N'wah" wich litteraly mean "Foreigner". The most insulting thing a Dunmer can say to you is that you're not a Dunmer and "they're not necessarily racist"?

I'd imagine they don't call those of other races who have lived in Morrowind their whole lives N'wah because, as you said, it means foreigner. Which the actual definition of foreigner is "a person born in or coming from a country other than one's own."

If an Altmer called me a foreigner while I was vising Summerset there would be no reason to get upset, because I would indeed be a foreigner.
    Edited by Kambo on March 28, 2019 9:27AM
    PC US
    Characters:
  • Kambo
    Kambo
    ✭✭✭
    Ashfen wrote: »
    As it has been said before, the Thalmor in Skyrim is not representative at all of Altmers in all their history. Apart from this, they're not the racists everyone describe. It's not just "few exceptions that are not racists".
    Yes, they're very proud and sometimes arrogant, but that's not a crime.

You are most definitely correct I'm just projecting my general distaste for the Altmer that can be seen as racist or simply aggressive or hostile. Those are the ones that have given me an overall bad impression.

In any case I still wouldn't consider the Dunmer to be racist as, for very much the same reasoning have given towards the Altmer not being so, a few bad eggs don't sum up the entire race.

I actually feel the need to apologize for projecting my distaste though, so sorry about that.

PC US
    Characters:
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Ashfen. And also IDK if there's really a way to say "more altmer are racist" than the other races who have that sort of thing in their culture. While the Dunmer who do enslave people pretty much will enslave just about anyone aside from the dunmer.(which they do that too but very rare) Which is pretty racist imo both have issues but IDK if theres a way to really say who has more evil people. In ESOs time line, though I think the Altmer as a whole aren't too bad.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    The ESO Elves are actually a good change in compare to the image of Tolkien Elves.

I may agree, that Altmer have it hard to be liked even by me, but Altmer don't want to be liked, they want efficiency and they don't care for your opinion.

*effectiveness

Hey, I googled the word before I wrote it down here :-)

https://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/efficiency.html

That's not what I meant. (^_^)'

It's a definition error that also occured in the Spellcharge developer comment, still angering me.
    Efficiency is the minimal principle. When you have a certain amount of resources and make the best out of that.
    Effectiveness is the maximum principle. When you have a goal and gather the required resources, no matter the cost, to achieve it.

Now tell me, what sounds more high elvish to you? That race prides itself on being the most sophisticated for a reason. Not because they take what they have and call it a day. But because they set a standard and achieve that. And if it takes 100 years, so be it. Thanks to their long lives, they CAN have the same artist paint a chapel for one hundred years. Unlike humans who would decease before finishing it (Sistine Chapel).

In that regard, Spellcharge explanation and effect make no sense. An Altmer, a highly effectiveness-oriented being, would not use Alteration to be more effiecient and generate stamina. High Elves are known for their magic. An Altmer would use that ability to convert stamina into magicka to underline the image of being the most powerful spellcaster.

Sorry for rambling. Still very, very mad at ZOS...
    ;3
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SosRuvaak wrote: »
    Banana wrote: »

What's the first choice?

A lady wood elf of course
  • Ashfen
    Ashfen
    ✭✭✭✭

You are most definitely correct I'm just projecting my general distaste for the Altmer that can be seen as racist or simply aggressive or hostile. Those are the ones that have given me an overall bad impression.

In any case I still wouldn't consider the Dunmer to be racist as, for very much the same reasoning have given towards the Altmer not being so, a few bad eggs don't sum up the entire race.

I actually feel the need to apologize for projecting my distaste though, so sorry about that.

No problem, it wasn't specifically against you, but i read so often things like "altmers are n.azi, look at the thalmor in skyrim !" it makes me sad. x)
    But yes, i understand your point of view. ^^
    Edited by Ashfen on March 28, 2019 10:16AM
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But man, they are so high!
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • MrGraves
    MrGraves
    ✭✭✭✭
    But are they as high as a cliffracer flyin' in the sky?
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MrGraves wrote: »
    But are they as high as a cliffracer flyin' in the sky?

More like as high as Snoop Dog flying in the sky.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.