Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

ANZ (Oceanic) Server announcement from ZOS.

MrGarlic
MrGarlic
✭✭✭✭✭
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, they have a very good point.

Probably over the years your ping will go down. Mine did.
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then what can be done by ZOS to improve lag on the megaserver when connected from asia.

No it is not my connexion, other games work just fine. Only TESO has such big lag.

Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that a server in OCE would also serve SEA and JPN though. Perhaps also China? Surely that would be a decent population combined?
    Options
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you dont do an oceanic server, can you do an asian server ? ;-D
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they are underestimating the number of players who would use it.

A conspiracy theorist could say that they like the fact that by keeping us on the other servers, we are propping up those server populations while the local players get some sleep. If they gave us our own server, the EU/NA servers would be pretty empty for 8-12 hours of every day.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Options
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »

A conspiracy theorist could say that they like the fact that by keeping us on the other servers, we are propping up those server populations while the local players get some sleep. If they gave us our own server, the EU/NA servers would be pretty empty for 8-12 hours of every day.

Yeah, no.

Options
  • Coggo
    Coggo
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, this announcement is not much of a news flash. We Oceanic players are really not inclined leave all the NA friends we've made since launch.

Our real issue - as testified by multiple long on going threads in this forum - is that with each successive update our ping degrades.

When I started playing with the launch of IC my ping was a steady 220. These days it's 340-360 with Battleping from Melbourne. Rig and Internet connection are both optimised and upgraded since my eso addiction started.

This pattern is much repeated and affirmed by the vast majority of Oceanic players.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As the queen of conspiracy theories.... eh, I don't even think so. I think they're probably looking at login numbers and time of play numbers.

Beancounters. I'm married to one (have been for 42+ years....) There are things that bean counting simply doesn't GET....
    Options
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not be sad dear oceanic friends.. the game has bad latency even when playing few hundred kilometers from the actual server and with max speed optic fiber internet connection. Thats for me, so yeah..

Would help a bit for you if you would get server there, but most likely not as big of a miracle as would expect.

Also i bet if ESO had a server there and performance was good (for all servers & game itself like Cyrodiil being smooth to play) it would be packed up with players fast.

Sad you are not getting own region server. :/
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... I'd bet they'd like to see it just to see what happened.
    Options
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No surprises.

Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Something we don't see, from the outside, is that the dev team has a lot more detailed demographic data for where players are and what platforms they're on. We, simply, don't have access to that. When someone says, "there's not enough players in this region to fully sustain a megaserver," that's probably legitimate.

Now, the game would be playable, it's not like there's 56 Aussies, a dozen Kiwis and that's the end of it. But, it does track that the game would feel emptier. That things like the group finder really wouldn't work at off hours.

It's also, highly likely, there's a cost benefit analysis in here that we're not seeing. The actual expense of running another server, having to deal with additional Australian territorial laws (which may not apply right now, particularly for things like the giveaways), and the PR blowback from people being able to post images of empty Cyrodiil campaigns and screaming, "see, teh gaim iz ded!~!!" when they're trying to prop up their favorite.
    Options
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Seems to me that a server in OCE would also serve SEA and JPN though. Perhaps also China? Surely that would be a decent population combined?

I think ZOS has made it pretty clear that they have no interest in Aisan MMO-market. It is way too oversaturated. Japan already has a client of their own they use to play on NA server. And there is no way ESO is China-friendly in it's current state and adding all the "party-approved-censorship" is a lot of work for very questionable benefit.

Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

I think ZOS has made it pretty clear that they have no interest in Aisan MMO-market. It is way too oversaturated. Japan already has a client of their own they use to play on NA server. And there is no way ESO is China-friendly in it's current state and adding all the "party-approved-censorship" is a lot of work for very questionable benefit.

Ah. Well, there's a lot of stuff I don't know, and thanks for helping me understand.
    Options
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... I'd bet they'd like to see it just to see what happened.

I`m personally amazed that ZOS has not yet invested (i mean seriously) money to fix some performance issues, then done big launch at Asian region and swim in more money.

While the asian market has already some strong leaders at the mmorpg areas and the typical "korean grinder games" in hundreds.. i think ESO would do well if marketed right with local servers and good performance.

Heh, that would benefit us EU/NA people also if the game engine was optimized better (you know, like other mmo games that play smooth even in large pop areas at primetime).

Something like ESO 2 (with new engine) with 3 regional servers. More money to ZOS, better performance for us. One can dream. :)
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yah, that's what I've been thinking. I live in the lower 48 US. My ping is ugly - because the only connection I have is satellite. Regardless my connect is crap, I spend a lot on this game, and I have a LOT of sheer fun with it.

There have to be millions like me in that whole huge area of the world. Yes, I get China could be problematic. But barring China, still looks like a mega-market in Pacific Rim....
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yah, that's what I've been thinking. I live in the lower 48 US. My ping is ugly - because the only connection I have is satellite. Regardless my connect is crap, I spend a lot on this game, and I have a LOT of sheer fun with it.

There have to be millions like me in that whole huge area of the world. Yes, I get China could be problematic. But barring China, still looks like a mega-market in Pacific Rim....

In fairness, part of the issue in the States is our terrible internet infrastructure.
    Options
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moonsorrow wrote: »
    I`m personally amazed that ZOS has not yet invested (i mean seriously) money to fix some performance issues...

I like you. You're funny!

Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In fairness, part of the issue in the States is our terrible internet infrastructure.

No kidding. I live 40 miles from "real broadband". The small town 20 miles NW of me is in process of running fiber. Asked the guys husband knows in SouthCentral who I could talk to about getting fiber into here. They laughed. Seriously. Less than 100 full time families? No real broadband for you....
    Options
  • lelink88
    lelink88
    ✭✭✭
    Dam it
    Edited by lelink88 on March 13, 2019 2:36AM
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lelink88 wrote: »
    Finally, thank Zos. Thank u for listening us

Uh.... all they did is say you're not getting a local server. So what are you thanking them for?

Options
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dont want OCE servers (too many friends on NA)

we want our ping back below 250 like 2016 (akaimi is YOUR PROBLEM)

get a clue
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
    Options
  • lelink88
    lelink88
    ✭✭✭

Uh.... all they did is say you're not getting a local server. So what are you thanking them for?

I not reading it carefully . damn it
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I not reading it carefully . damn it

Yeah. Sucks. Sorry....
    Options
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not surprised either. I think they are wrong about Cyrodiil & BGs... I routinely see whole guilds & groups in Cyro that are all AU, JP & NZ players. Obviously the campaigns (during the AU/NZ time zone) would not have the same amount of players as American prime time gets (it doesn't now!) but there would be enough to have good fights.(just as there are now.)

I think it's good of the ESO team to come out & state their intentions as they have.. it lets us know it's not going to get any better playing from the southern hemisphere. That let's us more easily make decisions with our game time.

TBH, even if they did announce a southern hemisphere... I don't think I could start again from scratch on a new megaserver.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
    Options
  • CH77
    CH77
    ✭✭✭

we want our ping back below 250 like 2016 (akaimi is YOUR PROBLEM)

THIS^
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Options
  • Carl-lan
    Carl-lan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't care about not having a server here, it'd be an awful experience. Like before 1T and you went to other factions to do Caldwell's silver and gold quests and the zones were dead. Felt lonely. Yuk.

If they did have one it might bring in more players that don't currently play but probably not too much to justify it really. Which is why they aren't.

But regardless of all this, they need to fix the lag. The game is hardly playable and is just frustrating. You get lag opening loot containers for crying out loud.
    Options
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I live in Japan.

I really don't care where the servers are located and how ZOS wants to consolidate the player base.

What I do care about is the 350+ ping on a fiber optic connection.
    Options
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Getting a stable 220-250 ping from here in Sydney, entirely playable. Use a good VPN and pick the right nodes.

I recommend Mudfish, it's cheap and effective.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
    Options
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    Getting a stable 220-250 ping from here in Sydney, entirely playable. Use a good VPN and pick the right nodes.

I recommend Mudfish, it's cheap and effective.

why should i be forced to pay 3rd party for the same ping i had 3 years ago?
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
    Options