The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Frostvault VS Depths of Malatar

VDoom1
VDoom1
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone. :smiley:

***Spoiler Alert for the 2 new dungeons!***

The two new dungeons, Frostvault and Depths of Malatar are the two latest dungeons. They have only been out 4 days, but I imagine many players (including myself) have already done both.

Kj6tlpP.jpg

6wK1Omn.jpg
(Pardon the Jellyfish. :blush: )

nYSjI5p.jpg

So what did you think about them? Which one was more difficult? Any boss you liked or really disliked? In general which dungeon did you just like the most?
Share you're thoughts.

As for me I'm a big fan of Frostvault.
The last boss was very cool, and you get turned into a cute tiny Skeevaton hehe. :blush: That's a new way to beat a boss, turn into a mechanical rat.
Edited by VDoom1 on February 28, 2019 8:44PM
We Fight For Cyrodiil.
We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
We fight for Tamriel!
CP 1200+
Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
Imperial Dragonknight
Khajiit Necromancer
Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
Guild - Priests Of Hircine
ESO Since 2014
PC - EU

Frostvault VS Depths of Malatar 60 votes

Frostvault
46%
wayfarerxprofundidob16_ESOAimoraMasterkenDarlonLoves_guarsBloodStormThanatosLexVDoom1code65536efsterAliyavanasusmitdsBladerunner1Squeaky_CleanK0rpeNAlienatedGoatMemeDankExtraKittehWinksWildRaptorX 28 votes
Depths of Malatar
53%
CireousFaulgorNemesis7884TibJoker99Aldmor13Haruspextheroyalestpythonnub18_ESOGravordEmma_OverloadMaddPoweredcrjs1SilverIce58MauinArtim_XpurpleshadezFortunattoChaos2088Kumba_YaTensar 32 votes
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not stepped foot in Frostvault but I saw it being done in the ESO live stream.

Malatar is great fun. Went in blind, got it done with no wipes except in the last boss because we decided to try and plow through HM. It didn't happen but the whole fight is fun. Mechs are easy to understand and easy to deal with but hard to master. None of those 'everyone dies because' one shots which is great. Healers are actually welcome because there's plenty of non-one-shot damage flying around. Loved it.

Frostvault from what I saw is very meh. Nothing much new or original there. Bosses are just clone troll boss. Clone goblin boss. Clone dwemer robot boss, although there's a little bit of something new there with the laser beam deal. Clone boss copy/pasted from HoF. Stay out of red, kill adds, don't get pushed off. Didn't seem too much wow-worthy. Then there's the skeevaton part which is just..... Seriously. Let's make long unskippable phases in which no one can damage the boss (hey, just like HoF!) because we can't have players do that, no no. Let's have them deal with a maze-like mechanic which makes little sense, and wastes everyone's time while they figure where to go, but at least they have a minimap to get their bearings, right? (CoS is guilty of this too though). I am also not a fan at all of anything dwemer and less even CWC so I am likely bias.

So yeah. Malatar big fun. Frostvault big meh.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just returned from Malatar. I paid for the run on normal. The team was awesome, they are really great in combat, quickly melted anything on their way. I'm grateful to these guys - they gave me an opportunity to see what's inside...

I managed to notice that a place is beautiful and to make some chaotic dialogue screenshots. And the final battle... Was it Colored Rooms?! How many runs should I pay for to enjoy this dungeon in full? Is it a fine way to learn a story and enjoy environment, like @ZOS_Finn said?

Oh - why I paid? Well, since day 1 I tried to get in through Dungeon Finder - never did, as I'm a DD; also asked in guild chat - but people were interested in vet runs; and - bingo! that *find some friends* thing! - got friends interested in a story and we never managed to defeat the first boss. Though with a paid team this dungeon seemed to be quite easy. They just melted through, awesome guys.

As for Frostvault - I have to make gold to pay for a run, didn't see it yet. I'm so excited about seeing dwemer things and playing with a skeevaton!
    Edited by myskyrim26 on February 28, 2019 10:05PM
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    frostvault for theme and story, Depths of Malatar for final boss and monster set/skin. overall frostvault is cooler and more epic imo even though i played DoM more for sets.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    I've just returned from Malatar. I paid for the run on normal. The team was awesome, they are really great in combat, quickly melted anything on their way. I'm grateful to these guys - they gave me an opportunity to see what's inside...

I managed to notice that a place is beautiful and to make some chaotic dialogue screenshots. And the final battle... Was it Colored Rooms?! How many runs should I pay for to enjoy this dungeon in full? Is it a fine way to learn a story and enjoy environment, like @ZOS_Finn said?

Oh - why I paid? Well, since day 1 I tried to get in through Dungeon Finder - never did, as I'm a DD; also asked in guild chat - but people were interested in vet runs; and - bingo! that *find some friends* thing! - got friends interested in a story and we never managed to defeat the first boss. Though with a paid team this dungeon seemed to be quite easy. They just melted through, awesome guys.

As for Frostvault - I have to make gold to pay for a run, didn't see it yet.

Ok, if you want to explore dungeon stories and queue fast why not go as tank? for normals you don't need to re-distribute attributes to health, just use something like plague doctor+torug pact and you will have easy time in normals.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depths of Malatar
    Only cas ive had strange luck that only grped with people wanting to do DoM so far....done FV once but both seem ace. Like the mechs and they are not too long....which is nice :)
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depths of Malatar
    Malatar. Because it has the best monster set!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two manned both of them on normal on the PTS and was unimpressed. The setting is interesting but am sick of all the DLC dungeons being a slog fest. Just tried to do a daily vet dungeon and got Frostvault twice in a row. What a waste of time.
    I've hidden your signature.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Im biased towards dwemer
  • WeaselGod
    WeaselGod
    ✭✭✭

As for Frostvault - I have to make gold to pay for a run, didn't see it yet. I'm so excited about seeing dwemer things and playing with a skeevaton!

Why pay for a normal dungeon? Or even pay at all. Seems like you ripped yourself off.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I pugged it. It was kinda spooky in the wearhouse with th boss that spits poision. Kinda kewl.
  • Mauin
    Mauin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depths of Malatar
    I've run both around 4 times on normal, and twice each on vet. Of the two dungeons, I definitely prefer Depths over Frostvault.

It's partly because of how it looks and partly just because I like the bosses there more. Especially the Symphony of Blades. It's sort of disappointing that the trophy/bust for the dungeon isn't the Symphony of Blades, since I think the boss looks fantastic. The group I usually run with has affectionately named it Rock-04.

It could be my monitor, but Frostvault is extremely bright and a little hard on my eyes. The laser beam boss was... Interesting. Otherwise... Eh. Not really a fan of this one. Admittedly, the bust for this one does amuse me.

Edit:
    Also, the end of Depths is very pretty.
    vlfp0q2.png
    Edited by Mauin on March 1, 2019 2:37AM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    It seems like ZOS blew their design budget on Frostvault and just cobbled together Depths.

Frostvault's boss mechanics are more interesting. Frostvault's Hard Mode is genuinely hard.

As a point of comparison, it took us three nights, multiple hours per night, to clear Frostvault HM on the PTS. Malatar HM took only a couple of attempts and is the easiest HM of the recent DLC dungeons.

And even though Frostvault's HM is much harder, I feel less frustrated with it than I do with Malatar's HM because your team is fully in control of its fate in Frostvault HM, but in Malatar HM, if you get comboed by Decrepify, Curse, and Purification, you are just screwed. (While Malatar HM is easy if you are just interested in a clear, it is rather frustrating if you want to clear HM deathless because of how much luck can play a role.)

As far as story goes, Frostvault is also more entertaining with a cast of characters providing a lot of comedic relief throughout. Depths is just so dry in comparison.
    Edited by code65536 on March 1, 2019 3:14AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • efster
    efster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    CRASHED SPACESHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AD is the best looking faction. I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.
  • felipeceles
    felipeceles
    Soul Shriven
    Frostvault
    frostvault has creative mechanics on bosses, like the laser boss and the rat thing on last boss, and i also think it looks way better.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    Mmm difficult. Loved Frostvault setting, and the sense of how terrible the wrathstone is. And the skeevaton.
    But DoM last boss and first are so cool and I'm happy to see Quintus free again :)

Great dungeons. <3
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frostvault
    vDOM is proof (again!) that most love stories don't end well =P

vFV is my favorite because of the awesome mechanics on some of the bosses